Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Stretching a Leather Bracelet

NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I had somebody on Etsy make me a simple leather bracelet a little ways back. They made it much too large the first time, but were nice enough to adjust it to be smaller, for free. He ended up shortening it too much (even though I gave him the exact length I needed :\ ...ah well)...and now it's very slightly too tight.

I've tried to stretch it out by snapping it around a pill bottle for a few weeks...the bracelet just barely fits over it, so I figured it would get it's strechin' on. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked very much. I've considered soaking it in water for 10 minutes or so, and then trying to stretch it...or using oil to help stretch it...but I'm not sure what would work the best. (If it ends up looking a bit "distressed", that's fine). It's been covered in a finishing wax to give it a sheen, but I don't care if that comes off in the process. I don't care if it ends up looking really distressed...because I'd like it just the same.

It's about 6 3/4" long, total. If I can even get an additional 1/4 inch out of it, I think that'd be enough. Ideally I'd like another 1/2 inch, though.

The bracelet looks like this:

il_430xN.97842591.jpg

il_430xN.97842589.jpg

NightDragon on
rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif
shikha

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If it's a tight fit around the pill bottle, fill the pill bottle with water and put it in the freezer (provided the pill bottle is plastic).

My dad did this with a water-filled balloon to stretch a pair of shoes once.

• darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't use water. It'll work, but it can also shrink leather. Or make it stiff. Or spot it. Rubbing alcohol might work, but it can do all of those things too.

Go to a place that sells shoes (doesn't have to be an expensive place, JC Penney has it) and buy a can of leather strech. It's in a small spray can. Follow the instructions on the label. That stuff can still discolor leather a little (tends to darken it), but I've had very good luck using it on shoes. And it avoids a lot of the pitfalls of homebrew methods. Plus, you can use it on leather shoes.

You still will need a way of stretching the leather. Any progressively larger series of object you can wrap it around. If you use the spray, you may even be able to just stretch it out by hand (work across the leather in small segments when pulling, if you just pull the ends, it's going to thin out somewhere in the middle).

Freezine the pill bottle when it's completely filled with water is not a bad idea at all, assuming that'll buldge in the middle.

• NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Good ideas, thanks! :)

I guess I'd have to find a way to take the wax off first, though...either that or just soak it in the spray...

I'm broke as hell right now, though, so if there are any similar-but-free options, those would be great to hear, too. :D

rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif