As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sketches, Studies, and Stuff

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    Last one for today.
    ngbbs519174c7b7ead.png

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    A breath from the pokemons. Here's a viking :)
    ngbbs51992255f0176.jpg
    and a progress gif.
    efc5fafb64e6b65ab9393612cf196cd3.gif

• Options
    drowning_mermaid_by_mabelma-d664aez.png
    Drowning mermaid.
    A pretty simple painting I did to accompany a poem my girlfriend wrote.

Process anim:
    http://i.picasion.com/pic69/51b2b5887de56599c0d9a8e8c3e45f04.gif

• Options
    Drowzee and Exeggute.
    103__exeggutor_by_mabelma-d66pm8v.png
    096__drowzee_by_mabelma-d66pftb.png

• Options
    Doduo and Nightcrawler.
    084_doduo_by_mabelma-d66psp9.png
    nightcrawler_comission_by_mabelma-d66t2t1.png

• Options
    Gambit!
    gambit_comission_by_mabelma-d66tkun.png

• Options
    It's been really long time since I update this, so I thought I'd show you some of my recent stuff. I've been doing a lot of collabs lately so here's some of that. On this particular one I took the lines by the amazing and good friend of mine Alexander Diochon, and shaded his comic Deep Down Interlude which you can read more of at his deviantart.
    deep_down_interlude__shaded__by_mabelma-d68wlou.jpg

I've also been helping him out with flatenning colors for his Minecraft fan comic, Called Crafting which you can read here.
    Spoilered because it's a bunch of stuff.
    crafting_1_2__page_06__flats__by_mabelma-d5v2cqy.jpg
    crafting_1_2_page_05__flats__by_mabelma-d5w6p5p.png
    crafting_1_2_page_04__flats__by_mabelma-d5w6pcu.png
    crafting_1_2__page_07__flats__by_mabelma-d5wlt9u.jpg
    crafting_1_2__page_08__flats__by_mabelma-d5xh018.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_01__flats__by_mabelma-d5y5g8v.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_02__flats__by_mabelma-d60cdlm.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_03__flats__by_mabelma-d60ghhr.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_04__flats__by_mabelma-d62hwqe.png
    crafting_1_3_page_05__flats__by_mabelma-d63xm9g.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_06__flats__by_mabelma-d65hwj1.png
    mine_1_3_page_07__flats__by_mabelma-d67a3tg.png
    mine_1_3_page_08__flats__by_mabelma-d6870l1.png
    mine_1_3_page_09__flats__by_mabelma-d68vttk.png

A couple more pokemon art for the 151 challenge.
    125__electrabuzz_by_mabelma-d682lnh.png
    151__mew_by_mabelma-d68taea.png
    114__tangela_by_mabelma-d68vro4.png

A bunch of Deviantart Request Sketches
    request_sketches_by_mabelma-d65uneq.png
    oc_request_batch_by_mabelma-d66askn.png
    request_sketches2_by_mabelma-d66gfcd.png
    request_sketches_3_by_mabelma-d66ox21.png
    request_sketches_4_by_mabelma-d67u23b.png
    request_sketches_5_by_mabelma-d68rmv5.png
    request_sketches_6_by_mabelma-d68vi5a.png

A little entry for a deviantart contest to get some exposure to my da page.
    birthday_contest_entry_by_mabelma-d69hnfh.png

A collab with a good friend of mine named Mike Hearn, he did lines, I did colors.
    toothless_collab_with_mike_hearn_by_mabelma-d69frse.png

Lastly, I'm also doing some color work for the comic Rapture Burgers
    Mostly doing just flats and messing around with shading once in a while but most of the work is done by an amazing artist named Mimi, who I sadly haven't met yet.
    rapture_burgers__ch1_page1__by_mabelma-d69gm8v.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch1_page2__by_mabelma-d69gnaf.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch1_page3__by_mabelma-d69kxue.jpg

All in all it's been a pretty busy time since I last posted. If you like my work and would like to see more, watch my deviantart and I'll try my best to post more here.

• Options
    I wanted to work on some portal 2 fan art because I finished the game a couple of days ago, thus here's what I'll be working on now. Here's the layout sketch, more or less just defining pose, layout, and perspective. What do you think? Any comments will help a bunch, I'll leave this here for about an hour while I work on some other things, so if you have anything to say that might help me make this a better image in the end, I will definetly take it into account and re-sketch and fix whatever you find that looks off.

ngbbs51c1eded7de12.jpg

• Options
    Refined the sketch a bit, not working on the background yet but the next update should have some work on the background. Mostly just drew chell in. Any comments would be truly appreaciated. It might look like she's proping herself off with the portal gun, but that's because the railing is not drawn yet so it doesn't cover the portal gun like it should.
    ngbbs51c20210cb002.jpg

• Options
    Everything's sketched more or less, gonna start adding possible values in the next hour to have an idea of the lighting I'll be using, any comments on what's done so far would be truly appreaciated. I'm pretty happy with what I have more or less but I think the background could use some work, I'm not sure how to make it better though.
    ngbbs51c217cdc3127.jpg

• Options
    Did a bit of value studying, it's all dodgy, and fastly done, because I'm just planning out how the lighting will work, and all that. Thoughts, comments, feedback, anything at all, truly appreaciated.

ngbbs51c231c3f08e7.jpg

• Options
    Here's an inked chell :) any comment will be truly appreaciated.
    ngbbs51c24fa0193f4.jpg

• Options
    Colored and shaded chell with some mid tones, nothing too dark or too dark, cause I still haven't figured out if the background is good perspective wise, so I didn't want to add any actual ambient lighthing on the character since I haven't figure that out yet. Anyways, hope you like it. Any comment would be truly appreaciated.

ngbbs51c305e2d57c5.jpg

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Hey dude, I think the perspective on your background seems fine. It looks like she's in a circular room. The beam-looking things at the top of the image are a little vague, and their directions are odd, but maybe it's because I didn't play the game so I don't know what those are supposed to be? Maybe let us know what's going on at the top there to make sure it's reading clearly.
    For values, it looks like your light source right now is coming from the left side of the picture, but there are a few spots that are inconsistent. The shadow of the bottom of her right cheek is misplaced, and that big strip of light on the edge of her face and chin shouldn't be there. Also, unless you want to show a fold of her tank top creased between her boobs (which you shouldn't, because it wouldn't happen), that thin strip of shadow between her boobs shouldn't be there either.
    Looking good so far!

• Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback, I went back and fixed the things you told me to fix, and also threw in a couple darker values on her. Once I have her colors all down, I'll begin working on the background, as for the top of the background, they are supposed to be beams but you're right, they might be all over the place, I'll add them on their own layer though so if it doesn't look right when everything's inked up, I'll just take them away, and see how it looks without them.

ngbbs51c3321e9446e.jpg

• Options
    Colored and inked the rail, so far so good?
    ngbbs51c34c00087e5.jpg

• Options
    Background added, and shaded. Also increased the outline of the foreground a bit, to make it stand out. Thoughts?

Still haven't added the lighting that should tie everything together but the next update should come with that plus the portals.
    ngbbs51c366fda400e.jpg

• Options
    Pretty much done with it, would love to hear your input on it, I would like to improve it as much as I can, so anything is welcomed.
    ngbbs51c37edaee888.jpg

• Options
    Fixed the perspective of the rails, any comments whatsoever?
    ngbbs51c4e6a79c52e.jpg

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I don't think the biggest issue of the rails is the perspective, but rather their scale. Either she's a giant or they're very small, because they read as roughly the size of her portal gun. Maybe try scaling them up a bit?

Also, her face, to me, says "smirking, mildly disinterested", but her body language screams "I'm falling towards the earth at an alarming rate, please help me".

However, that being said, I see a lot of improvement in your recent stuff. Keep up the hard work, and don't be discouraged by the slow inflow of comments. The AC is just a bit slow for feedback in general right now.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    It looks like you are pushing yourself, which makes it easier to find your weak points. I'll try and type out some crits tomorrow. I have some things on my plate tonight.

• Options
    Mangoes wrote: »
    I don't think the biggest issue of the rails is the perspective, but rather their scale. Either she's a giant or they're very small, because they read as roughly the size of her portal gun. Maybe try scaling them up a bit?

Also, her face, to me, says "smirking, mildly disinterested", but her body language screams "I'm falling towards the earth at an alarming rate, please help me".

However, that being said, I see a lot of improvement in your recent stuff. Keep up the hard work, and don't be discouraged by the slow inflow of comments. The AC is just a bit slow for feedback in general right now.

portal2_fan_art3_by_mabelma-d6a2qri.jpg

I totally see what you see, how's this, any better?

Also as for the face body language thing, should I change her face to show a little more "oh shit I'm falling" or leave it like that to contrast bewteen the action and her total disinterest towards the situation? Or does it simply look bad?

Thank you so much for kind words, I'm really trying to improve and I appreaciate you coming by and dropping some feedback on the piece :)
    Iruka wrote: »
    It looks like you are pushing yourself, which makes it easier to find your weak points. I'll try and type out some crits tomorrow. I have some things on my plate tonight.

I actually am, I'm really trying my best to improve as much as I can before college starts, there's so much I want to do with my art and I feel like I got the potential just not the practice, so I'm trying to make as many piece and as many new things as I can do improve. I'm spending a lot of time on my art, drawing day and night to improve as an artist. I truly can't wait to see what you have to say, thank you so much for helping out :)

On a side note, I'm applying for a local caricaturist society to try and improve both my caricaturing skills and my presence as an artist so here's me practicing my caricature working drawing people from deviantart, if you'd like to help you can post an image on this thread and I'll draw you :)
    alalampone_by_mabelma-d6a2qnq.jpg
    iamversatility_by_mabelma-d6a2qne.jpg
    srpapagiorgio_by_mabelma-d6a2qn3.jpg

Also here's some stuff I've been submitting on some DA contests to also grow my presense as an artist.
    miisupacey_contest_entry_by_mabelma-d69xmfn.png
    mattflamestar_contest_entry_by_mabelma-d69wr6n.png
    design_me_a_character_contest__entry__by_mabelma-d69swtp.png
    birthday_contest_entry_by_mabelma-d69hnfh.png

• Options
    This is as far as I could take the image, any comments would be truly appreaciated, I would love to go back and add on to it and make it better, so feel free to say whatever comes to mind :)
    ngbbs51c72e4669947.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I think some general direction may help more than picking this particular image apart. I went through your thread again, and you are for sure improving. You are still missing some basic fundamentals, and you seem to have trouble applying your basic knowledge to more complex forms.

For instance, you Doduo looks great. The shading mostly makes sense, and the forms look believable. In this portal image the shading is much more arbitrary, as if you didn't really establish where the light source was, or couldn't figure out how the logic of the light applied to the picture.

Still lives will probably help you out the most for this issue, master studies wouldn't hurt either. They may not seem as fun, or as personal as getting a crit on a work like this, but there are somethings that you need to understand for yourself in a way that cant be typed out in a critique.

When you do a master copy you can see what looks wrong when you put them side by side. You'll be able to feel that something is wrong when you are putting it down. It will be frustrating, but in the end, puzzling it out is what is going to teach you the most.

Still lives are equally challenging, and you should be setting them up to help you with your basic shapes. What does a cylinder look like with one light source to the left on a flat surface? What does a sphere look like? What happens when you put white paper under it? What about red? This is why alot of still life set ups are of fruit, bottles, boxes and cloth, it gives you the fill range of shape types to play with. You want to take an almost scientific eye to studies, You aren't diving in to make a "good looking" still life, you are trying to sit down for a few hours and learn something about light and form. You might make a few that no one really needs to see before you make something that is alright looking, but you will probably learn from both.

Some self portraits in the mirror will probably help you with facial structure too. Try some with one light source. Gather some reference material and try and get as much knowledge from each study as possible.

Iruka on
  • Options
    I'll definetly do that. Thanks for the suggestion Iruka, I truly appreaciate it, going to keep doing caricatures for people on DA but I'm going to try and draw a couple of self portraits, and do master studies as soon as possible, probably just going to to try drawing statues for a while as I personally don't feel very comfortable taking on master paintings just yet.

Also some people on other forums pointed out some issues on that portal piece in regards to chell so I went back and re-sketched her face and a couple of things I didn't like about her body, any comments before I start inking and shading her again?
    ngbbs51c77fd7412df.jpg

• Options
    My honest opinion would be to let this one be done. There are some minor improvements in the new one, but they aren't really the leaps you would need to take to really learn from the process. Unfortunately I don't have time for a paint over today.

Get to some studies, and then come back to this one if you feel like it.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm told that spending too much time on art can be just as bad as not enough, but not being an artist myself I couldn't really say.

Also I love your avatar @Iruka

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    that is certainly a challenging pose to undertake! and yeah, gotta be careful about draining your own enthusiasm by overworking something. after a certain point you really just get too close to stuff, and you won't learn nearly as much by reworking it as you would by cranking on some new hotness. "done, done, on to the next one!"

so what you got for us next? get cranking >:)

Toasticus on
  • Options
    Been almost a month since I last posted, but fear not, it's not because I got discouraged by the comments, it's because I've been really busy with a lot of things which I'll post below. I went ahead and abandoned the portal image because there's no real point redoing it twenty times because I won't learn much by redoing the same image tons of times, so I went ahead and just did a bunch of new things.

First off, I started animating with a group of animators, so here's some of that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWzDPpm18Y&feature=share&list=PLUyxEPcz6aUKDQMxqfn6QYd5mEwFMm31z
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2V-aUWL80s&feature=share&list=PLUyxEPcz6aUKDQMxqfn6QYd5mEwFMm31z

I also worked on a bunch of new images, some I'm proud of, others I'm not so proud of but here's all of that.
    kinda_neat_v1_by_mabelma-d6eb4ba.png
    a_trip_in_the_tardis_by_mabelma-d6daub0.jpg
    aztec_warrior_by_mabelma-d6cp7qs.jpg
    tangu_totem_by_mabelma-d6cf6at.png
    vanguard_comic_fan_art_by_mabelma-d6e7fth.png
    110__weezing_by_mabelma-d6ciw1k.jpg

Also some collaborations with other artist, in which I added the colors to their work.
    For raptureburgers.com
    raptureburgerch4_pg4_by_mabelma-d6dx34m.jpg
    raptureburgerch4_pg3_by_mabelma-d6dx33z.jpg
    raptureburgerch4_pg2_by_mabelma-d6dx33d.jpg
    raptureburgerch4_pg1_by_mabelma-d6dx33f.jpg
    raptureburgerch3_pg4_by_mabelma-d6dox6m.jpg
    raptureburgerch3_pg3_by_mabelma-d6dox5r.jpg
    raptureburgerch3_pg2_by_mabelma-d6dox5p.jpg
    raptureburgerch3_pg1_by_mabelma-d6dox6e.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch2_page4__by_mabelma-d6dl110.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch2_page3__by_mabelma-d6dl10p.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch2_page2__by_mabelma-d6dl10m.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch2_page1__by_mabelma-d6dl0xv.jpg
    rapture_burgers__ch1_page4__by_mabelma-d6dl0q8.jpg

Here are some request sketches for people and some caricatures
    request_sketches_9_by_mabelma-d6cchjz.png
    request_sketches_10_by_mabelma-d6cebyp.jpg
    kingvego_caricature_by_mabelma-d6acw5j.jpg
    request_sketches_8_by_mabelma-d6ad3pw.png
    general_ebonrose_caricature_by_mabelma-d6buxsi.jpg
    mirroredsky_caricature_by_mabelma-d6buzud.jpg

For my mate http://zapf-zeichnet.deviantart.com/
    wolf_man__colors__by_mabelma-d6d4v46.jpg

This one for http://dana-t.deviantart.com/
    bridge_colors_by_mabelma-d6ctkn0.jpg
    link_and_princess_ruto__colored__by_mabelma-d6a64ch.png

For Crafting with Alexander Diochon http://stplmstr.deviantart.com/:
    crafting_1_4_page_02__flats__by_mabelma-d6d444z.png
    crafting_1_4_page_01__flats__by_mabelma-d6c0foy.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_10__flats__by_mabelma-d6ax4ve.png

And last but not least I've been studying up, I can only post the stuff that's digital because I no longer have a printer but I also have a bunch of sketches on my blackbook.
    amethyst_rock_by_mabelma-d6eb3lm.png
    face_statue_by_mabelma-d6eb3l4.png
    pear_study_by_mabelma-d6eb3k8.jpg

Also I have a youtube channel where you can watch me draw some of this stuff, I would really appreciate it if you subscribe if you like what you see.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Mabelma95

• Options
    For my mate http://zapf-zeichnet.deviantart.com/
    wolf_man__colors__by_mabelma-d6d4v46.jpg

This one for http://dana-t.deviantart.com/
    bridge_colors_by_mabelma-d6ctkn0.jpg
    link_and_princess_ruto__colored__by_mabelma-d6a64ch.png

For Crafting with Alexander Diochon http://stplmstr.deviantart.com/:
    crafting_1_4_page_02__flats__by_mabelma-d6d444z.png
    crafting_1_4_page_01__flats__by_mabelma-d6c0foy.jpg
    crafting_1_3_page_10__flats__by_mabelma-d6ax4ve.png

And last but not least I've been studying up, I can only post the stuff that's digital because I no longer have a printer but I also have a bunch of sketches on my blackbook.
    amethyst_rock_by_mabelma-d6eb3lm.png
    face_statue_by_mabelma-d6eb3l4.png
    pear_study_by_mabelma-d6eb3k8.jpg

Also I have a youtube channel where you can watch me draw some of this stuff, I would really appreciate it if you subscribe if you like what you see.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Mabelma95

• Options
    Here's a couple of new things I've done in the past couple of weeks. Trying to find a way to balance my art studies and still have a reasonable amount out of personal creative output so I'm trying to do at least 5 personal images every weeks on top of the freelance stuff and the art studies and all that.
    ngbbs5210c3d043d9b.jpg

• Options
    Your studies are starting to shape up a bit, but try to measure just a little more. Your last two look like you are getting the hang of looking for the larger forms and shapes that the light is making, which is awesome. Don't forget to try and apply that to your pokemon. It looks like the Grimer benefited a little.

• Options
    Thank you @Iruka, I'm truly happy you think their helping :) I'll definetly trysome more out, gonna definetly try and apply that to the pokemon. Anyways here's some new stuff :) (not that much today sadly)
    ngbbs5217d602870d8.jpg

• Options
    This week in Mab's Art :D If you're interested in seeing one of the images up close, let me know and I'll post it up alone.
    ngbbs52212a193c4c8.jpg

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I wanna see the adventure comic with the skeleton in a bigger format, make it happen!

• Options
    Some of the newest stuff I've been working on in the past couple of weeks.
    ngbbs523f463b9b5e4.jpg

• Options
    This week I bring you a couple of pokemon drawings, and a bunch of youtube cover arts, hope you like it.
    Check out their stuff here.
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqzMraykdNktuMUCJBw53jA
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bpcB-Zn-0tzfvETuVtK7g

ngbbs5251b0b3da758.jpg
    ngbbs5251b113a4820.jpg
    ngbbs5251b1d367856.jpg
    ngbbs5251b22b5f5ee.jpg

• Options
    Here's what I've been doing this week. If you wanted to see anything bigger let me know and I'll post an image of that alone.
    ngbbs525b25f712137.jpg

• Options
    You might be hurting your chances for feedback by posting them all super tiny like this. I would prioritize the stuff that will get you the most useful feed back if you post them larger, and just post those when you update your thread. For The minecraft comic, while super cool, there isn't much for us to say on it since you are just coloring the flats.

Post your all of studies large. We can help you out way more if we can see those consistently.