Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Has the Graphics Card died?

EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H&A.

Simply put; Is my mother's computer suffering from a dying gfx card? Just to be sure, i'd like you to agree/not.

At random times the screen will be filled with artifacts looking like something out of the matrix, broken only by a whiter colour that was the cursor. The monitor will then lose signal.

Oh and apparently her cat was sick on it a few weeks ago...

Euphoriac on
steam_sig.png

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle and you're not happy, but you're funny and I'm tripping over my joyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Her cat threw up directly on the graphics card?

Since you didn't list anything about the actual computer, I will be vague and suggest getting a cheap videocard and seeing if that fixes your problem. That does not sound like a power supply or overheating problem.

I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The cat threw up on the fan situated at the top of the case (wierd case I guess) and a little bit dribbled onto the card. Was cleaned up carefully and everything was fine until today.

I've just found an old card I can use to test it out. And if all else fails I can bring over my monitor too to check if it's that (unlikely but eh).

steam_sig.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    unless you are running something graphics intensive while it goes out it 99% sure isn't overheating.

you could try to get some rubbing alchohol with q-tips and carefully clean out the area where the vomit landed. even if you were extra careful, it probably left a residue that's mucking something up.

if that doesn't help, get a new car and put a cat vomit umbrella over it.