As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name and comfort that dog! Now with 30% more Dawwww...

SentrySentry Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This is Kali, the Destroyer. She is tired after a long day of destroying.
4922267012_0e4c54980e_z.jpg

She is about a year old and an adorably bundle of cuteness.

This is nameless dog alpha:
4922267042_20072cddf3_z.jpg

She will be joining us tomorrow. She is about 3 months old and supposedly very loving in her own right. Now, I turn it over to you H/A. 1. Name this dog. Something that goes well with Kali, the Destroyer. Maybe Gozar, the Traveller? Anyway, I turn it over to you. 2. How should I introduce these two to each other so that the loving bond of togetherness and whatever is allowed to flourish? Guide me HA.

Uh... why won't the pictures show? This is ruining the Dawww!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
wrote:
When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
Sentry on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The links are very much worth clicking anyway. D'AWWWW! So cute!

My contribution is Fornia. So they can be Kali and Fornia. Yeah, it's lame, I know.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Draupadi, maybe? She's also a character from Hindu mythology (wife of Yudhisthira from the Mahabharata), so I was thinking that might go well with it.

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know it's not the question you asked for help with, but I'm answering anyway.
    When using Flicker, you have to link to the picture, rather then the actual site. I think you should be able to find the code under the "Share This" menu (not sure, I don't use flicker). Or you can do what I did and pull it from the source code, normally around line 473 or so.
    4922267012_0e4c54980e_z.jpg
    Kali!
    4922267042_20072cddf3_z.jpg
    Nameless dog Alpha!

see317 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks. I thought I had tried that but I guess not. I actually just stole them from your post.

I've sort of given up on Hindu mythology names simply because most of them don't sound very good after you've ruled out kali the destroyer. But thanks for the suggestions so far

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't name anything off the top of my head but why not go for some other mythological destroyer god? Doesn't have to be Hindu does it?

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Loki

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Loki.

that's my norwegian forrest cats name.

it is the best

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm digging Gozar, to be honest.

Also for getting them to meet, you might try and have stuff that smells like the dog you have in a room so the new one can get used to the scent, then get a towel or something else and let the new dog lie down on it so Kali can get a good scent off of it.

That might delay the actual meet up by a little bit, but it will make the smells less foreign.

If possible, when they do first meet try and get them to smell each others' rears instead of noses. Puppies can easily make a mistake in a face-to-face greet that can lead to a tussle.

Other than that, those dogs are super cute. Best of luck.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Freya. Considering she's a girl.

Mim on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bacon

maybe Baccone Fartte

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Mr. J.H. GumbyMr. J.H. Gumby Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Red Sonja, the She-Devil with a Fur
    She-ra, Princess of Power
    Diana, the Huntress
    Gozer the Gozerian

Mr. J.H. Gumby on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does Kali like baby puppies in general? A decent number of non-puppies don't enjoy baby puppies so don't panic if they aren't best friends right away.

Anyways, to introduce them, I would do it somewhere other than your house. Can you bring Kali with you to pick up the new puppy? Otherwise go pick up the puppy and find a place you can let them both off leash that isn't your house. Don't let the puppy pester Kali and make sure to keep some of your current routines with just Kali.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The person I'm getting her from is bringing her over, so I was going to bring my dog out to meet the new one. Maybe take them both for a short walk so they can get to know each other?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That sort of works but 12 week old puppies shouldn't go on very long walks yet and you don't want to go anywhere lots of dogs have been.

Kistra on
  • Options
    ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Frank.

Zeguna on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gozer the Destructor is a pretty awesome name.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moxie!

Kali and Moxie.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Agent K13.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions all!

I think I like Loki. It keeps with the deity theme nicely. But I'm still open to ideas. Anyone have any general advice about taking care of two dogs? I'm a little worried about trying to walk them both at once. Do those leash things that hold two dogs work well?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    claypoolfanclaypoolfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shiva, The God of Death

claypoolfan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They work as long as your dogs both understand basic loose leash walking and they work better if your dogs are similar in size. Again, this isn't something that you need to worry about right away. A 12 week old puppy is going to need 1-2 minute potty breaks every 30-60 minutes rather than real walks.

Kistra on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shiva, The God of Death

Gonna agree with this one right here. Shiva and Kali sounds good together.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like Shiva, but I think you should save that name. He just looks like a Gozer.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Definitely go with Gozer.

Then when someone asks "I thought Gozer was a man?" You can say it can be whatever it wants to be.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Gozer is growing on me. I like Shiva too, as it matches. Man, naming things is hard.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love calling dogs by human names. And reversing the gender just for shits and giggles. My next female dog will be named "Steve".

illig on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yeah, Gozer is growing on me. I like Shiva too, as it matches. Man, naming things is hard.
    What if you get another dog someday? Name that one Shiva! Then you could have Kali, Gozer, and Shiva, and leave a trail of destruction every time you go for a walk.

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    I was going to suggest Loki as well. He was a trickster, you see. So that dog could just be like, in disguise.

Actually, this works less well for dogs than it does for cats, but famous people make for good pet names. I once met a pair of cats named Winston Churchill and Teddy Roosevelt. The dog could be Mary Queen of Scots.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gnarls Barky

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so first night went well. Kali is a little jealous, she tries to steal any treats the new puppy gets, which is kind of annoying. The new puppy is pad trained and that is awesome, she also slept through the whole night with no accidents.

I think I've decided on Gozer for the name. After meeting her she does seem a little Gozer like, destructing things with her cuteness.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What breed/mix is Kali?

Oliver on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oliver wrote: »
    What breed/mix is Kali?

She is a Chihuahua/poodle mix.

It's weird, I always used to despise small dogs, but now I think they are kind of awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never liked them either, but I have one in my house now and I love him. Seeing how much damage he can do, I don't know if I'd ever have a big dog in my house.

Oliver on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    My contribution is Fornia. So they can be Kali and Fornia. Yeah, it's lame, I know.

This is PERFECT.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527