As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Timed Light?

Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I moved into a new apartment with three rooms and my room has no windows... so i sleep.. all day literally. I can't wake up. Sure i have an alarm however, my biological clock doesn't register the wake up call since there's a lack of sunlight.

Is there any kind of timed light? I look on google but I get outside lights... I'm obviously googling the wrong key words. But I'm looking for a kind of light that I can basically put an alarm on that it'll slowly raise the light? Or just turn on. Bright.

Or I'm getting a fan installed soon. Are there options to get a timed light on the fan?

Any advice would help.. I just gotta wake up and be part of society.
Thank you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brett Ashley on

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.amazon.com/59366-Appliance-3-Prong-Outlet-Repeats/dp/B001D8VIKE

There are electronic ones but this is the kind that you use when you go away for a week.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Google "sunlamps" for seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

My mom has one and it is exactly the kind of thing you describe. Turns on with a timer, is gradual like sunlight, is super bright.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sunlamps is what I want but I can't find any that are timed...
    I guess they don't make them. Thanks guys!

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You probably aren't going to find a lamp with a built in timer. Generally you just throw a scheduler on the outlet and then plug your lights into that.

Devices like This one or this one let you have an appliance follow a 24-hour cycle with pins for half-hour intervals of on or off.

There are more complex ones that cost more (search "mechanical timer", "electrical timer" or try replacing timer with scheduler for more complex ones).

If you're in an apartment and the sole light is overhead you'll likely be out of luck integrating it into the electronics. In that case just buy a powerful indirect light (e.g. a halogen light that points at the ceiling) and plug it into the timer and then put the timer in the wall.

President Rex on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What you need is a "sunrise simulator." This is just one website but there are probably more out there. The first on on the list is pretty pricey, but it seems like it does everything you need it to. http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/dawn_simulator_17_ctg.htm

Here's another one: http://www.naturestapestry.com/sunriseclock1.html

Just do a search for "light therapy alarm clock" and you should find a lot.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Any hardware store and/or Walmart will have Outlet Timers that you can program to schedule lamps to turn on and off in your home. They've been around since the 1960's, people always used to use them to make their house appear occupied when it wasn't (to deter thieves) or just for simple convenience.

Ruckus on
  • TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »

Any hardware store and/or Walmart will have Outlet Timers that you can program to schedule lamps to turn on and off in your home. They've been around since the 1960's, people always used to use them to make their house appear occupied when it wasn't (to deter thieves) or just for simple convenience.

and to turn on and off Christmas lights.

TheAngryDealer on