As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    I regularly check my ceiling for Drop Bears.

If I lived in a continent where every bloody piece of flora and fauna was actively trying to kill me, I'd do it too.

I'm going to miss the combat style as well. It was refreshing to pause and actually plan my moves in advance so I wouldn't get curbstomped.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is the future of gaming, man.

I'm sorry. I'll be good.

teeheeeceilings

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Video games suck, I am just going to play board games from now on, they never change.

Fizban140 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Besides, that's not really the reason why they changed it

Yeah their actual reasons are just as stupid and make no sense either.

But yeah if the tactical overhead camera wasn't important to you I guess it wouldn't matter that it's gone. I am 100% certain though this can be modded in, but if I wanted to play it basically the same as on a console I would have bought the console version to begin with.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Oh for crying out loud...

Over-exaggerate much? And just don't buy the game, Aegeri, if you're that upset they changed the camera a bit and gave the main character a voice.

Yeah, because the tactical combat of the first game wasn't anything I liked at all. Actually I was hoping a sequel would move to be more like BG2 in this aspect on PC. Not less. But it's becoming pretty obvious none of that actually good aspects of DA are being carried into its sequel. But at least the game will encourage us to look at the ceiling. I guess that's a good thing if you like that.

Because tactical combat is totally gone.

"I've heard the 360 combat is different and more action-oriented, therefore it totally applies to how the PC version will play even though they've said it will play like the PC version of Origins. But BioWare is made up of liars and filthy upstarts! I curse their name!"

And that is something every person here seems to be doing. If you don't like the changes they've made to the console version, don't get it on consoles. Get it on the PC, where you can still pause and issue commands.

It's not as if you're locked five fucking inches behind the character's shoulder, either. You just can't pull back 50 feet into the air and look down at a 90 degree angle. Why don't we wait and see how the new camera works? Or maybe see what previews are saying? They seem to think it works just fine. I'd rather be cautiously optimistic than complain about something I know very little about. If they show it off and it's very limiting, then I'll be just as upset.

It's still only one aspect of the game, as is the voiced character, and that's not going to make or break the entire thing. Different does not mean bad. I don't see how that's gutting the game, either. The emphasis should be on fun gameplay and an engaging and interesting story, not how far I can pull back the camera.

It's like you've been set to dislike this game from day one. Are you even interested in the game at all? Even slightly? Because so far all I've seen from you are wild exaggerations, jumps to conclusions, and constant complaining practically every page. I value multiple opinions, but come on, man, this is almost ridiculous.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Besides, that's not really the reason why they changed it

Yeah their actual reasons are just as stupid and make no sense either.

But yeah if the tactical overhead camera wasn't important to you I guess it wouldn't matter that it's gone. I am 100% certain though this can be modded in, but if I wanted to play it basically the same as on a console I would have bought the console version to begin with.

QFT. Consoles in this case are kind of the lowest common denominator. I like the tactical view that overhead cam provides.

For DA2, over-the-shoulder-only could be redeemed somewhat if they improve the AI tactics customization so that I don't feel like I actually need to manually control the whole party all the time.

I dread to ask but.. we can still pause, right? Control our party members..?

Edit: Whew, my question was answered as I was posting. That is good then. Pausing and tactics is good.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Maybe they should just put Dragon Age on the Unreal 3 engine (the same engine that Mass Effect is on).

I mean, Unreal 3 isn't a perfect engine, in fact, it has tons of idiosyncrasies which drive me crazy, such as the delayed texture loading. But at least once everything has loaded in it looks pretty.

And with 2 games already on that game engine, they've got the experience with it. And Batman Arkham Asylum (another Unreal 3 game) has taught us that melee combat is quite doable with that system.

But the Dragon Age engine is already streets ahead of UE3. It has AA, fer cryin out loud!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Claiming that you can do either of the two schemes misses the whole question of difficulty.

Couscous on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Of course all you've seen is wild exaggerations. Got to hang on to what minuscule crumbs we can find to justify our agendas.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010
    To be fair about the ceiling thing. Bioware does make really good skyboxes.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Oh for crying out loud...

Over-exaggerate much? And just don't buy the game, Aegeri, if you're that upset they changed the camera a bit and gave the main character a voice.

Yeah, because the tactical combat of the first game wasn't anything I liked at all. Actually I was hoping a sequel would move to be more like BG2 in this aspect on PC. Not less. But it's becoming pretty obvious none of that actually good aspects of DA are being carried into its sequel. But at least the game will encourage us to look at the ceiling. I guess that's a good thing if you like that.

Because tactical combat is totally gone.

If it's restricted to 3rd person, yes. Yes it is.
    And that is something every person here seems to be doing.

It's been confirmed in a Kotaku interview with Bioware (or at least marketing, who knows) that there isn't a tactical top down view. They could just be wrong, but it's pretty stupid to say one thing and then another constantly.
    If you don't like the changes they've made to the console version, don't get it on consoles. Get it on the PC, where you can still pause and issue commands.

Whoosh. The point is that I bought the PC version because I wanted the top down isometric combat. That's why I did. If that isn't in the sequel, I wouldn't want to buy the PC version and instead I would have got the console version. I expected - apparently this is being utterly unreasonable - that the PC version would maintain the top down isometric combat. That's apparently not the case.
    It's still only one aspect of the game, as is the voiced character, and that's not going to make or break the entire thing.

Please put: For me at the end of that and we can agree.

For me this could be the last straw. I mean, all I want is a sequel that expands upon and improves the original. From everything I've seen, DA2 isn't doing any of this.

You know I am easy to please. All I wanted in a sequel was improvements to everything I enjoyed in the first game. Origins that were more relevant over the whole game, with more variety to them and some more choices. I wanted the tactical combat camera to be improved, so you could move a bit further away from the selected main character. Really just more story, some new gameplay with some more combat animations and that sort of thing. I didn't think Dragon Age did a lot wrong, except for things that people bring up a lot like origins not feeling like they change the game much (beyond certain areas).

Instead I am getting everything I loved in the second game removed. To my knowledge, the first confirmation the PC version might not have an overhead view was in the recent interview quoted on the previous page. Everything I hear and see about the game just heaps on ever increasing amounts of disappointment.

Aegeri on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well that sucks for you. But for everyone else until we play the game im not sure whether we can say its going to be a worse game, or just a different one.

Your desires for a sequel and the reality of what the sequel is going to be has no impact on the quality of the sequel.

Prohass on
    edited November 2010
    Enig wrote:

I dread to ask but.. we can still pause, right? Control our party members..?

Edit: Whew, my question was answered as I was posting. That is good then. Pausing and tactics is good.

I know I basically answered your question already, but yeah, you still have the same tools available to you to command the battle. You can pause the action, switch to different characters, give orders, and pull back the camera to get a better view of the area, just not quite as far as you could in the original game. You can still pause the game and switch characters on the console versions, too, but you'll wan to get this on the PC if you want the best pause and play gameplay.

Actually, it doesn't seem that either version is really that different in terms of combat and control from Dragon Age: Origins. They've basically sped up the animations and made them flashier. That's the impression I've been getting. On the console side, it ends up making it look more like a hack-and-slash game, though, but wasn't this also a concern for the first game? I remember people looking at console footage, seeing how you had to press a button every time you wanted to attack, and complaining about it. For Dragon Age 2, as I said, they basically made combat faster. It doesn't really seem all that different in terms of control on that platform other than the speed of it.

Dashui on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Different isn't always bad, and often it's good. But it is true that moving away from a game design that a lot of people liked very much is going to disappoint quite a few people, especially those who also happen to dislike the new direction. There's little point in being overly pessimistic at the moment though.
    For Dragon Age 2, as I said, they basically made combat faster. It doesn't really seem all that different in terms of control on that platform other than the speed of it.
    I thought that the faster animations and such were simply to make the party more responsive in combat as they can be a bit clunky in DA:O, especially in AI mode. I suppose that would increase the pace of combat overall to some degree. I don't really care about that as long as I can still pause and organise tactically.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited November 2010
    Different can be good in many cases (ME2 is possibly the poster child of this). It's when you (IMO) take things that were a good part and change those. That I don't understand.

Aegeri on
    edited November 2010
    Different can be good in many cases (ME2 is possibly the poster child of this). It's when you (IMO) take things that were a good part and change those. That I don't understand.

ME2 is also the poster child for the other part too :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    I don't think ME2 took anything "good" with ME and changed it. I suppose character customization could be one thing, but that honestly was not handled well at all in ME in any way and all the abilities in ME2 feel relevant (as opposed to points for the sake of being points). The inventory was a gigantic horrible mess of bland similar guns that filled it to the brink easily. The horrible omnigel mechanic and silly simon says minigame for hacking.

Not to mention all the slowness, incredibly clunky combat and such forth. What ME2 did was take what the original did best: The dialogue, the story, the general "space opera" feel and translate it perfectly into a game with far more fun combat that actually ran well. A great improvement, even if the games story does suffer from "middle trilogy game" syndrome. I was a bit skeptical on equipment and I acknowledge that is one place that they got it wrong in ME2, but that's a minor problem compared to everything it did really damn well.

On the other hand removing fundamentals from Dragon Age like the Origin stories, overhead view and similar are not things I will easily live without. Unless the game is astounding in every way I am not going to be greeting it anywhere near as warmly as I did ME2. It has to be incredibly impressive in every manner to justify these changes as being for the best.

Aegeri on
    edited November 2010
    But you can indeed pull back the camera and that multiple sources have said it plays nigh exactly the same as Origins on the PC. It is not explicitly locked in one position. Yes, it's not as far as it was before, but you can still do it, and no doubt there will be a mod to change it back for those that are unhappy with the new camera. I'd still like to see it before I bemoan it. You may think that the removal of the large overhead camera is the death of tactical gameplay, but you haven't seen the changes nor the additions. Who knows, you might actually like the reworked camera more than before? Maybe I'll end up it? I won't know until I see or try it out myself.

You can even pause the game. You can issue commands. You can switch characters. They've even talked about other improvements to the combat, such as the removal of the "Dragon Age Shuffle". They've even put a greater emphasis on class cooperation. The Warrior's Shield Bash skill might give a bonus to the Rogue's Backstab, for instance. How is this less tactical?
    Aegeri wrote:
    Really just more story, some new gameplay with some more combat animations and that sort of thing.

You're... getting those things? The story is apparently more personal, more focused, and covers a period of ten years with an interesting narration structure - your story was in the past and told from the present. From what we've heard the overall plot is not a cliched mess that was Origins, either. There is no evil organization or force that needs to be destroyed before it destroys the world. It could still be wholly generic (it is a BioWare game, after all), but not having to fight evil monsters is a step in the right direction in my book. I also like what I've heard about developing a personality for Hawk.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Origins, but the story really wasn't that great. And every single faction I went to for help had some life-threatening problem, totally unrelated to the Blight, that I had to deal with first. Perfect timing, eh? It was a bit ridiculous.

We've already covered gameplay above. I know I won't miss the "Dragon Age Shuffle". They've talked about and previewed to the press the new combat animations, too. So far the impressions have been positive. That leaves me cautiously optimistic.

I'm not saying you have to be excited about the game or that you have to purchase it on day one. I just think you're exaggerating how far they've gone with the changes and to just wait for some real footage before we start shunning what we haven't seen. I could be completely wrong about what I've described above, that information has only been taking from interviews and previews and not actual footage, but that's all I have to go on. When they say it plays like Origins, that you have more tactical options available to you, then for the time being that's just what I'm going to have to trust in.
    Aegeri wrote:
    On the other hand removing fundamentals from Dragon Age like the Origin stories...

To be honest, the Origins weren't much of a fundamental when they ultimately meant jack shit throughout the game other than a few different lines of dialog. And it's not as if being forced to play Hawk means roleplaying is dead in the game.

You could also try to picture this as a different game entirely, because it almost is. It's a new character, a new setting, new mechanics, and new story. It is NOT a continuation of Dragon Age: Origins. The world state carries over but this is an entirely different journey. We're not playing as the Grey Warden Commander anymore.

Dashui on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Its pretty obviously not going to play the same on the PC as it did in Origins. They're not going to make all these changes to make the game more action-y and have it magically turn into tactical combat on a different platform.

JohnDoe on
    edited November 2010
    Dashui wrote:
    You're... getting those things?

I love how you deliberately removed the key sentences immediately preceding that. The whole thing actually goes together: It's one point. I am not getting all those things. That is the point.

Edit: I am unconvinced more actiony combat is an improvement to begin with. But I am not willing to commit to anything until I know what the PC version is actually doing.
    From what we've heard the overall plot is not a cliched mess that was Origins, either.

It's a good thing none of my arguments have mentioned a thing about the plot. I have no idea what the plot in DA2 is. I'm most interested in the things they have/have not done that the first game did. An amazing plot would be something that could redeem the game for me though, that is unquestionable. Something Planescape Torment level would soon make me forget any other "flaw" that I perceived I can tell you that.
    I'm not saying you have to be excited about the game or that you have to purchase it on day one. I just think you're exaggerating how far they've gone with the changes

Not really. Everything I dislike are changes with either a "Not there" or "There" connotation. They happen to be very important things to me, but:

No isometric view - but a zoomed out 3rd person view? (Not there)
    Traditional RPG like dialogue (Not there)
    Origin Stories (Not there)
    More character customisation options, rare and such (Not there).

These are either/or aspects. If I really enjoyed all that from the first game and it's not there in the second, I'm not exactly sure how I can put it across to you that that stuff not being there isn't a great selling point to me.
    To be honest, the Origins weren't much of a fundamental when they ultimately meant jack shit throughout the game other than a few different lines of dialog.

And I enjoyed them immensely. I felt they were the best aspect of Dragon Age and should have been expanded on. The sequel should have been looking at improving this aspect, but nope. We get stuck with some random "THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTER EVAR!!!!" and the bathwater has hit the babies mangled corpse on the cobblestones far below.

If Bioware could have pulled out making origins more relevant over the entire game and really made them work better that is exactly what I would have loved in a sequel. In fact that was what I was hoping for. That's obviously not going to happen and it feels like taking an easy way out.

Aegeri on
    edited November 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Its pretty obviously not going to play the same on the PC as it did in Origins. They're not going to make all these changes to make the game more action-y and have it magically turn into tactical combat on a different platform.

Faster animations and cooldowns and a different tactical view doesn't automatically turn it into God of War. There were even some posts by a developer in the official forum, posts we linked and talked about here, that said the mechanics of the game were changed very little. A lot of it the changes are more visual than anything else. You should be able to control and direct everything as you did before.

It's only more "action-y" in its presentation, or so we've been told.
    Aegeri wrote:
    I love how you deliberately removed the key sentences immediately preceding that.

You kept (keep?) doing that to me, too?

But fuck it. This is tiresome. I'm pretty much the only person in this thread whose optimistic about a new BioWare game. I do kind of wonder if all the negativity is driving away like-minded individuals, since page after page is nothing but complaints. Everyone is free to voice their concerns, of course, but I feel kind of lonely in my camp. The thread title is actually kind of apt, too (I'm so clever). "Anti-hype thread" indeed. :(

Dashui on
    edited November 2010
    Since I don't dare try to go to the official bioware forums, the only people with hands on with the PC version I've seen was over at QT3, who said it played almost exactly as the leaked videos showed. Though supposedly the UI and camera weren't finalized and therefore weren't in the demo?

So until some semi-reputable information comes out, that isn't just mild reassurances from developers and shills like kotaku (who, like usual, kotaku-ed up their reassurances with negatives like the camera no longer being able to be at an angle any more), that's all I have to go on

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Since I don't dare try to go to the official bioware forums, the only people with hands on with the PC version I've seen was over at QT3, who said it played almost exactly as the leaked videos showed. Though supposedly the UI and camera weren't finalized and therefore weren't in the demo?

I read some impressions from Comic Con that said the PC version played exactly like Origins. I actually have that post in the OP, since it's pretty informative on what they've updated or changed. Hopefully we'll get to see some footage for ourselves and clear this whole thing up.

Dashui on
    edited November 2010
    Dashui wrote:
    but that doesn't mean I'll make a hundred posts on that subject in a thread about the game. I mean, fifty of those posts are okay. Maybe sixty? But a hundred? Now that's just kind of annoying.

My first post in this thread is 1732. I have made 50 posts total in this thread, in 85 pages. Of those 50 posts, many of them aren't even complaining about DA 2 at all as I am currently playing the original game. In fact I don't even think I've posted about DA2 for months before this thread. Actually if you can find 100 posts by me complaining about DA2 I will be astounded, I've been far too apathetic. Considering I've made like, 50 in this thread (actually I guess that would be 51) only it would appear to be a difficult task.

So exactly how am I driving away anyone with relentless complaining when I've been - except for recently - been approaching the game with nothing more than extreme apathy at best? I mean, actually looking at new previews since the game was announced - where I know I said I was firmly unimpressed as well - nothing has changed to alter my opinion. If this thread wasn't the general DA thread and I was actively playing the game again I wouldn't read it/post in it at all. If the thread is generally negative well, that's not really my fault for making a sequel that doesn't share aspects a lot of people loved about the original. So don't blame me for people complaining.

Aegeri on
    edited November 2010
    Man, remember the original DA thread? Back before it even had origins added to the title? Back when we scrambled for every little bit of information?

Back when they actually were releasing videos and screen shots with actual UI shown? Officially even.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    And how everyone was hailing it as the great return of Baldurs Gate and was really excited.

I remember those times.

Edit: Admittedly part of the scrambling for info was that the game had been almost legendary vaporware for ages until they suddenly unleashed with a torrent of information/stuff.

Aegeri on
  • SurfaceBeneathSurfaceBeneath regular
    edited November 2010
    I for one am quite hyped for DA2. The mechanical changes seem minimalistic, but fix a lot of the things that annoyed me in DA:O, such as the "shuffle" and non-mages sucking ass. And I'm intrigued by the framed narrative thing they're going with and moving the game away from a "save the world" cliched and boring story. DA:O and ME2 (specifically) bought me enough good will from Bioware to make up for the cynicism that KOTOR, Jade Empire, and the first Mass Effect wrought (all decent games, but all underwhelming imo).

SurfaceBeneath on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Heh, so this 1up article suggests that the pc tactical camera will be ok. Who to believe?

Regarding the lack of Origins - It was probably the subtitle for a reason. That was that game's defining feature; something that shouldn't be expected in the next one. Personally I only played as a human noble all the way through. Who wants to be a stunty ignorant dwarf or a pansy elf? Not me!

I don't really like a lot of the changes that have been mentioned but I know it's still going to be really good, and the argument that it's moving too far away from the classic BG2 style of RPG is pretty ridiculous when you consider that DA:O is massively less complex than that game - it probably has less than 15% of the spells, customization options and quests.

Jimmy Marku on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bet if you don't like the changes they're making you could just try not buying the game. I think that'd be okay.

edit: that wasn't directed at you, Jimmy. Just in general, to all the doomsayers.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Maybe they should just put Dragon Age on the Unreal 3 engine (the same engine that Mass Effect is on).

I mean, Unreal 3 isn't a perfect engine, in fact, it has tons of idiosyncrasies which drive me crazy, such as the delayed texture loading. But at least once everything has loaded in it looks pretty.

And with 2 games already on that game engine, they've got the experience with it. And Batman Arkham Asylum (another Unreal 3 game) has taught us that melee combat is quite doable with that system.

But the Dragon Age engine is already streets ahead of UE3. It has AA, fer cryin out loud!

Nice try, Stephen Fry.

Deaderinred on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am super excited for Dragon Age 2 though I have two tiny little problems,

1) Likely lack of a dog companion
    2) The secret companion is (most likely) a human/elf from the shadow. I'm hoping we still get a companion like Shale with different mechanics.

Other than that literally everything I have heard about the game sounds great to me. Day one purchase, will probably play it for 200+ hours or so like every Bioware game I've bought.

Z0re on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    I am super excited for Dragon Age 2 though I have two tiny little problems,

1) Likely lack of a dog companion
    2) The secret companion is (most likely) a human/elf from the shadow. I'm hoping we still get a companion like Shale with different mechanics.

Other than that literally everything I have heard about the game sounds great to me. Day one purchase, will probably play it for 200+ hours or so like every Bioware game I've bought.

every Bioware game I buy on day one and make sure I have a week off work to enjoy it with. I also bought an xbox just for KOTOR and a 360 for Mass Effect. If they made DA2 or ME3 PS3 only I would buy one just to play it. thats how confident I am with Biowares ability to deliver an amazing game. DA2 will be great

GaryO on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a riddle for you guys.

If a Dragon Age thread is made in a forest, and nobody is around to see it, is it still the stupidest thread on the forums?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This is still a day one purchase for me. I'm pretty sure they can iron out the stuff I didn't like about DA:O.

Rotam on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have a riddle for you guys.

If a Dragon Age thread is made in a forest, and nobody is around to see it, is it still the stupidest thread on the forums?

Yes.

Dragkonias on
    edited November 2010
    As he prepares to show me an extended demo of Dragon Age II, lead designer Mike Laidlaw elaborates, "You have every ability you had in Origins in terms of being able to attack, move and position guys. But it's faster, way more fluid, way more comprehensible."

"You may have to pause a little bit more to pull off the 'grand strategy,' but you can still pause the game, move between all of your characters... All those things are still there."

In other words, all of the old tactical elements remain intact. The attacks just hit a whole lot harder this time around.

Lying cock sucker! Tactical combat is deeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Shit, this preview was from August. Does no one read these and would rather ignore the information within and live in their own little worlds?
    Laidlaw demonstrates how that changes the gameplay by taking me over to the PC situated in the corner, where he takes a moment to demonstrate the new tactical camera before jumping into battle. It's actually not all that different from the original camera, though it sits at more of an angle this time around.

The idea is to afford a good view of the battlefield while resolving technical problems that lowered the graphical fidelity across all three platforms, Laidlaw says. My impression is that it makes for a solid middle ground between a pure third-person view and the overhead camera of old; at the very least, it doesn't impact the ability to issue orders and direct characters about the battlefield.

This is the information we've been presented with again and again. It's what we have to go on. Where are people getting the opposite impressions?

Dashui on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Day one re-order my precancel purchase.

I'm so confused now.

Drake on
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As he prepares to show me an extended demo of Dragon Age II, lead designer Mike Laidlaw elaborates, "You have every ability you had in Origins in terms of being able to attack, move and position guys. But it's faster, way more fluid, way more comprehensible."

"You may have to pause a little bit more to pull off the 'grand strategy,' but you can still pause the game, move between all of your characters... All those things are still there."

In other words, all of the old tactical elements remain intact. The attacks just hit a whole lot harder this time around.

Lying cock sucker! Tactical combat is deeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

I can't tell if that should be in the Batman voice or the Wonderella voice.

And if Mike says it, it's true. For fuck's sake, he played Drakensang. He played King's Bounty. The man plays the shit out of RPGs (in addition to just about every other type of game).

takyris on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've now started canceling other people's preorders.

stevemarks44 on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can cancel my preorder any day.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg