As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played through the fade twice.

*sobs*

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    That's okay

As long as you've played Planescape Torment

you have played Planescape Torment right?
    Yeah.

I thought it was a good story wrapped up in a not so good game. Which is to say I loved reading it, but did not have fun playing it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    I played through the fade twice.

*sobs*

I... I...

I thought I was the only one.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I did the Deep Roads first and really enjoyed 'em.
    It was a thoroughly harrowing, epic journey that my party just about struggled through. I think you need to set aside enough time to do it in one go, to immerse yourself in the struggle and really get the feeling of dread.

I particularly loved the bit in the Dead Trenches were you've been fighting your way in through hordes of darkspawn only to find a group of utterly badass Legion of the Dead Dwarfs who help you fight your way over the bridge. Awesome.

I enjoyed the Deep Roads too. There was some variant and strategy called.

The fade though...the fade can suck a bag of dicks.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's okay

Nope, but that one may be the exception from what I hear about it. My problem is I love D&D on the tabletop. I used to have the THAC0 and Saving Throw tables from 2e completely memorized, I spent so much time playing. I think it's a completely horrible system for RPGs on the computer. It feels like it has been shoe-horned into the format. D&D, especially 2e, can be a harsh system. If your DM didn't fudge the odds in your favor or manipulate the outcome into something less horrible, you'd spend a lot of time rolling up new characters. On the PC this just translates into a lot of save scumming. Which is really not fun.

Also the beginning of Baldur's Gate makes me want to slam my head through my keyboard. "I'm an orphan and the ward of a wizard. I have a mysterious past. And now dudes are after me." A drunken bar brawl would have been equally creative introduction and possibly less cliched. Planescape sounds like a lot of that is completely mitigated by the setting and story. Regardless, that one is in my GoG wishlist so I won't forget about it the next time I've got ten bucks to blow on a game. It does sound like it's my best hope for enjoying an Infinity Engine game.

Drake on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DA:O and BG are very similar in that as soon as you have completed them once and attempt to play it again you realise it's really fucking boring.

BG2 remains one of the best games ever made.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have replayed DA:O more than I have replayed BG2.

So, like, twice.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've replayed Origins twice.

It killed my desire to ever do so again.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm 1/3 through a second play through and I just started a new game of BG2.

Everytime I go to do something it's like 'ugh the fade, I'll go to Redcli..ugh the temple, I'll go to Orzamm...ugh the deep roads'. The Brecillian ruins is the only dungeon that doesn't go on 40% longer than it should.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    The Brecillian ruins is the only dungeon that doesn't go on 40% longer than it should.
    Yes it does.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm 1/3 through a second play through and I just started a new game of BG2.

Everytime I go to do something it's like 'ugh the fade, I'll go to Redcli..ugh the temple, I'll go to Orzamm...ugh the deep roads'. The Brecillian ruins is the only dungeon that doesn't go on 40% longer than it should.

That's cause it's utterly forgettable

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The Brecillian ruins is the only dungeon that doesn't go on 40% longer than it should.
    Yes it does.

I think what he meant to say is that the Brecillian Ruins goes on about 66% longer than it should.

Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I love most of Dragon Age, but I've found it necessary to get myself irresponsibly drunk any time I do the Fade.

So replaying this game may literally kill me.

Skip The Fade. Well, unless you're on 360.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked Baldur's Gate 2 well enough, but I never understood the massive amounts of sheer adoration the game gets. It was fun enough to go through a couple times, but I'm not in any hurry to play it ever again.

Baldur's Gate 1 was just plain boring though.

I think a little context is appropriate--

When Baldur's Gate 1 was released, the games you could most directly compare it to were the SSI gold box games, old pixelated games with old-fashioned grid-based first person 3d maps and weird hex-or-grid based overhead fights using terribly outdated little pixel minis.

They were fun games, don't get me wrong, but they felt like something that belonged on an Apple II e.

Baldur's Gate 1 was a huge innovation at the time. Real time combat! The same map for movement and for combat! Snazzy graphics and avatars that changed based on what equipment they wore!

Like many innovative games, it wasn't particularly polished (nobody had done a game like it before) so it hasn't held up particularly well.

I suspect Dragon Age: Origins will end up being similar. Great for when it came out (new world, new ideas, etc. etc.) but when a superior version is finally available, going back to the game and dealing with all its nonsense and bullshit will just seem unacceptable.

Additionally, if you haven't played Planescape: Torment you really should.

So, uh, hmm, Dragon Age 2! I hope it makes Dragon Age 1 look terrible by comparison! I've actually kind of got some high hopes, the interviews with the development team give me hope.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Origins really wasn't great for when it came out. Aside from graphics and VA it's several steps behind BG2 in pretty much all gameplay aspects. I mean, they were trying to sell the game by saying it was a return to BG2 style gameplay.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Baldur's Gate 1 was a huge innovation at the time. Real time combat! The same map for movement and for combat! Snazzy graphics and avatars that changed based on what equipment they wore!
    214656081_f9ahQ-L-2.jpg
    I suspect Dragon Age: Origins will end up being similar. Great for when it came out (new world, new ideas, etc. etc.) but when a superior version is finally available, going back to the game and dealing with all its nonsense and bullshit will just seem unacceptable.
    The world and ideas weren't particularly innovative.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay, this is bullshit. I purchased Dragon Age: Origins Colon Ultimate Edition. I registered the code for the DLC on the site. I see the list of registered DLC in my profile. But when I launch the game, it marks all the DLC as unauthorized. yes, I am logged in.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Search their forums. It does that to some people and I believe you have to edit your Addin file to accept them.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Search their forums. It does that to some people and I believe you have to edit your Addin file to accept them.

Cool, I'll take a look around. Thank you.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    The world and story were as cookie cutter as they come, but I felt they really tread new ground in blending the classic WRPG gameplay with more modern and streamlined WoW-ish stuff, which was probably a lot harder than people give them credit for. I still prefer the old stuff, but it's amazing that they kept as much of it as they did in there in this day and age.

Darlan on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's okay

Planescape Torment was Black Isle. It is not a Bioware game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    The world and story were as cookie cutter as they come, but I felt they really tread new ground in blending the classic WRPG gameplay with more modern and streamlined WoW-ish stuff, which was probably a lot harder than people give them credit for. I still prefer the old stuff, but it's amazing that they kept as much of it as they did in there in this day and age.

Man I liked the world and ideas

Particularly how it did not have any qualms about killing pretty much anyone or anything in gruesome ways

I think that the place that we were, Ferelden, was probably one of the more boring locations in that world, though, considering all the Codex junk on the Empire and Orlesia and wherever the Qunari live

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just entered the Fade, this really does suck. At first I didn't understand what all the complaining was about...hours later I am still here.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    So I just entered the Fade, this really does suck. At first I didn't understand what all the complaining was about...hours later I am still here.

I just go to each zone in a counterclockwise direction, by the end of the second rotation everything is unlocked and you can start saving your peoples.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    trevellian wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »

I just go to each zone in a counterclockwise direction, by the end of the second rotation everything is unlocked and you can start saving your peoples.

pretty much this

the first time will take a long time
    the second time will take less then an hour

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find it hard to like Sten.
    Did you really have to kill a family just because you lost your sword?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Did you really have to kill a family just because you lost you sword?

I usually leave him to his fate
    I'm the Grey Warden bitch, GTFO

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My noble is going to leave him to die. Partly because I am a two handed warrior anyway and partly because I just hate him.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sten is a decent enough character, but you really need to work to get anything worthwhile from him, and when you do, it's not really worth it.

He has some good banters, though.
    Leliana: I saw what you were doing back there.
    Sten: Oh?
    Leliana: Don't play innocent with me.
    Sten: What are you talking about?
    Leliana: You. Playing with that kitten.
    Sten: ...There was no kitten.
    Leliana: Sten, I saw you. You dangling a piece of twine for it.
    Sten: I was helping it train.
    Leliana: You're a big softie!
    Sten: We will never speak of this again.
    Leliana: Softie!

Sten: Stop that.
    Leliana: (Giggles) Stop what?
    Sten: That. Looking at me and giggling.
    Leliana: I can't help it! You are so big and stoic! Who would have thought you'd be a big softie?
    Sten: Stop saying that. I am a soldier of the Beresaad. I am not a "softie."
    Leliana: (Giggles) Softie.
    Sten: ...I hate humans.

Alistair: You know, you never did tell me how you passed the time in that cage for so long.
    Sten: No, I didn't.
    Alistair: So... what did you do in there?
    Sten: A training exercise. I would observe an object and then try to think of all the words in your language which began with the same letter as its name.
    Alistair: That... wait. Just wait. You're joking again, aren't you?
    Sten: No.
    Alistair: You are not telling me that you played, "I Spy," against yourself for twenty days.
    Sten: There are a lot of things in Lothering that begin with, "G."

Zevran: So, your sheath is empty, then, my qunari friend?
    Sten: My sheath?
    Zevran: You do not seem to be rising to the occasion.
    Sten: I do not know which is worse, you or the dwarf.
    Zevran: Oh, I am, assuredly. He gets all his best lines from me.

Oghren: Lost your weapon, did you?
    Sten: What of it?
    Oghren: Swinging an empty scabbard, then?
    Sten: ...
    Oghren: Your pike was purloined?
    Sten: "Purloined?" Did you have to look that one up?
    Oghren: The elf gave me that one. You have to admit, it's good.
    Sten: (Sigh)

And those are just the less serious ones.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sten is a decent enough character, but you really need to work to get anything worthwhile from him, and when you do, it's not really worth it.

He has some good banters, though.
    Leliana: I saw what you were doing back there.
    Sten: Oh?
    Leliana: Don't play innocent with me.
    Sten: What are you talking about?
    Leliana: You. Playing with that kitten.
    Sten: ...There was no kitten.
    Leliana: Sten, I saw you. You dangling a piece of twine for it.
    Sten: I was helping it train.
    Leliana: You're a big softie!
    Sten: We will never speak of this again.
    Leliana: Softie!

Sten: Stop that.
    Leliana: (Giggles) Stop what?
    Sten: That. Looking at me and giggling.
    Leliana: I can't help it! You are so big and stoic! Who would have thought you'd be a big softie?
    Sten: Stop saying that. I am a soldier of the Beresaad. I am not a "softie."
    Leliana: (Giggles) Softie.
    Sten: ...I hate humans.

Alistair: You know, you never did tell me how you passed the time in that cage for so long.
    Sten: No, I didn't.
    Alistair: So... what did you do in there?
    Sten: A training exercise. I would observe an object and then try to think of all the words in your language which began with the same letter as its name.
    Alistair: That... wait. Just wait. You're joking again, aren't you?
    Sten: No.
    Alistair: You are not telling me that you played, "I Spy," against yourself for twenty days.
    Sten: There are a lot of things in Lothering that begin with, "G."

Zevran: So, your sheath is empty, then, my qunari friend?
    Sten: My sheath?
    Zevran: You do not seem to be rising to the occasion.
    Sten: I do not know which is worse, you or the dwarf.
    Zevran: Oh, I am, assuredly. He gets all his best lines from me.

Oghren: Lost your weapon, did you?
    Sten: What of it?
    Oghren: Swinging an empty scabbard, then?
    Sten: ...
    Oghren: Your pike was purloined?
    Sten: "Purloined?" Did you have to look that one up?
    Oghren: The elf gave me that one. You have to admit, it's good.
    Sten: (Sigh)

And those are just the less serious ones.

Hah the two with Oghren and Antonio Banderas-Elf

Oghren and Wynn have some pretty great dialogue too. I hope we get more extra-party banter in DA2, New Vegas is one of the first games I've seen it in and it's great (you're walking by some guy and your party member says something to them, or about them, or they say something to your party member)

Banter is probably the biggest thing I missed in ME2

override367 on
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sten is decent with Yusari and Juggernalt Armour Set.

Maou on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked Baldur's Gate 2 well enough, but I never understood the massive amounts of sheer adoration the game gets. It was fun enough to go through a couple times, but I'm not in any hurry to play it ever again.

Baldur's Gate 1 was just plain boring though.

I think a little context is appropriate--

When Baldur's Gate 1 was released, the games you could most directly compare it to were the SSI gold box games, old pixelated games with old-fashioned grid-based first person 3d maps and weird hex-or-grid based overhead fights using terribly outdated little pixel minis.

They were fun games, don't get me wrong, but they felt like something that belonged on an Apple II e.

Like many innovative games, it wasn't particularly polished (nobody had done a game like it before) so it hasn't held up particularly well.

Additionally, if you haven't played Planescape: Torment you really should.

So, uh, hmm, Dragon Age 2! I hope it makes Dragon Age 1 look terrible by comparison! I've actually kind of got some high hopes, the interviews with the development team give me hope.

Of course, when I played the old SSI games (I loved the Curse of the Azure Bonds one and the Dragonlance series) they were brand new. Actually needing two disk drives or *gasp* a hard drive to play. Anyway, I loved the Baldur's Gate games, Planescape Torment, etc. but I'll never play them again. Doesn't mean I won't hang on to the memories of playing though.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You don't quite understand:
    To go back to his homeland, without his sword, he'll be slayed on sight for being "souless". He would be a mockery for losing the one thing that makes him a warrior. He panicked as a result and thus did what he did. He's certainly not proud of it, and was willing to accept his punishment. It was YOU who gave him a reason to leave and atone, remember?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

To go back to his homeland, without his sword, he'll be slayed on sight for being "souless". He would be a mockery for losing the one thing that makes him a warrior. He panicked as a result and thus did what he did. He's certainly not proud of it, and was willing to accept his punishment. It was YOU who gave him a reason to leave and atone, remember?

So he doesn't go back to his wackjob homeland. Simple. If he was so brain dead to buy that he wouldn't be too broken up, so it's just a conflicting set of actions.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I love most of Dragon Age, but I've found it necessary to get myself irresponsibly drunk any time I do the Fade.

Or, you know, that other system. :P

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I think I'll replay DAO at some point, but I don't want to do it again on the PS3 now that I have a competent PC. Plus, mods really, really sweeten the deal. But do I really want to sink another $50 into the game? Dear Steam, put this shit on sale so I'll have an easier time convincing myself.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »

So he doesn't go back to his wackjob homeland. Simple. If he was so brain dead to buy that he wouldn't be too broken up, so it's just a conflicting set of actions.

That is assuming, of course, that between not going back to his "wackjob homeland" and dying for losing his sword, that the former is the preferable one.

I do not think Sten ever saw it that way. I want to say "Honor before Reason" but I think he belived he had a much better reason than simply honor.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Considering that his entire reason for living involved working for his homeland, it isn't strange that he would prefer dying over disgrace and would go nuts if he found out he couldn't ever go back.

Couscous on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DA:O is unique in that after completing it, i have no desire to revisit it, and i cant recall if i had fun doing it.

I like to ponder that now and then, wondering how its possible.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why would you play a game for that long before A) getting bored or B) not giving a shit and hating it

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »

Or, you know, that other system. :P

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I think I'll replay DAO at some point, but I don't want to do it again on the PS3 now that I have a competent PC. Plus, mods really, really sweeten the deal. But do I really want to sink another $50 into the game? Dear Steam, put this shit on sale so I'll have an easier time convincing myself.
    Is it illegal to torrent it on the PC if you have it on the 360? Not trying to start a debate, just curious because if you paid for the game you shouldn't have to pay for it again just to play it on the PC. But yeah I am sure there will be even more deals, I just followed cheapassgamer until I saw what I wanted.

Fizban140 on