As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another dumb question, is there any way to sell more then 9 or 10 of an item at once?

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    So I just got the ship and I'm pretty lost. I have found a few places to dock but they are either barren and nothing to see, or the monsters are super tough.

I got to the one town where nobody will talk to me / offer me services and can't figure out how to progress.

Sort of at a loss for what to do besides keep sailing around looking for new places to dock.

Gleeba is just NE of the continent with Bloomingdale.

See the huge world map, if it helps.

@Dorkman: left arrow to switch the cursor to the 10s place, then down will auto-select all your items of that type to sell at once.

Darian on
    edited August 2010
    Coolio.

Dumb question #2 for the night, is there anyway to sell more then 9 or 10 items at once that I am missing? As it seems to be a bit bothersome having to spend a minute trying to unload large stacks of items

Dorkman on
    edited August 2010
    Didn't I just answer that? (left arrow to the 10s place, then down to select all, or up multiple times to sell 10/20/30/etc)

Darian on
    edited August 2010
    No. Pfft.

Yeah, for some reason I had a bit of a hiccup and I couldn't see my original post. Sorry ladies and gents!

Dorkman on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Left arrow doesn't do tens. Hitting left either selects the maximum amount you can buy with your funds (if buying) or selects the entire stack stack (if you're selling). Anything in the middle, you have to select manually. Fine if you want to deal in absolutes. Shitty if you only want to buy say 50 lambswool when you can afford 99.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How can you do Zere Rocks too early?

You have to do Port Llaffan to get access to the continent, which you can conceivably do before ever doing Alltrades and unlocking class change. But after that, Zere Rocks is the next dungeon.

Unless you skip it and come back later. Like, 5 dungeons later.

KiTA on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Presumably, if you "skipped" Zere Rocks, then you didn't do it too early. :-P

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TrebzTrebz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Oh snap, I just realized that Zere Rocks is a pun. My appreciation for this game just skyrocketed.

Trebz on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Trebz wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Oh snap, I just realized that Zere Rocks is a pun. My appreciation for this game just skyrocketed.

Uh

Have you noticed that every single monster name is also a pun

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure that "Slime" isn't a pun. *cheesy grin* The most important and evil enemy in the game! Maybe it transcends puns, being so vile and evil that one can only bitterly express their true name.

It's so evil that when I went to tvtropes to look them up, I found "Mascot Mook", and then was stuck in tvtropes for HOURS.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2010
    Apparently Itemized kill does not work on legacy bosses.

...Jerkwads.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For something available so early, a prayer ring really breaks the MP system. I was on the verge of dropping my Mage due to the MP juggling hassle but it's Zap! Zap! Boom! (sound effects, not actual spell names) with gay abandon now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For something available so early, a prayer ring really breaks the MP system. I was on the verge of dropping my Mage due to the MP juggling hassle but it's Zap! Zap! Boom! (sound effects, not actual spell names) with gay abandon now.

My prayer ring disintegrated the first time I used it...

Morvidus on
    edited August 2010
    They can disintegrate?!

I thought it was too good to be true. Time to start being a little more restrained with them then!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Supposed to be after 1-5 uses.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2010
    I am well overdue then! I've been using one every time I get a lull in the action. Must have been used 20-odd times and still going. I'm scared to ever use it again now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited August 2010
    I think it's just a flat % chance to break when used, rather than some sort of counter system. Or at least that's how previous games did it.

The Wolfman on
    edited August 2010
    Do they ever break in battle, or just when used outside of battle?

Edit: Further research shows they can break in battle.

Darian on
  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Metal 'slime' Kings, each a nation, independent D:

What if metal slimes are the first Reaper D:

TheOrange on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Almost got my party at 100 on their alternate class skills.

Then I'm going to go try the final boss again and hopefully not die.

Sipex on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    So I just got the ship and I'm pretty lost. I have found a few places to dock but they are either barren and nothing to see, or the monsters are super tough.

I got to the one town where nobody will talk to me / offer me services and can't figure out how to progress.

Sort of at a loss for what to do besides keep sailing around looking for new places to dock.

They put in a lot of suggestions that Gleeba (in the desert) should be your next stop, but those hints are put in some awkward places -- like the top of the lighthouse near Bloomingdale.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I picked this up last week, I've gotten as far as the desert city in the main story...then I got the fever for the flavor of a skillpoint /vocation quest farming for some reason.

The only skill ive gotten maxed is sword on my main character. My other three grunts started out as a martial artist a priest, and another priest. One of these priests i just leveled without putting points anywhere, then switched her to ranger when i got that and am working on maxing her rang skills. I've swapped vocations several times, unlocked ranger and gladiator and gotten 10-15 levels in several other vocations just to save up skill points. The problem is i havent decided what to spend them on yet.

Several of the faqs mention getting the shield skill is important. But what im wondering about are the vocational skills (guts, focus etc). since they mostly buff your own stats across all classes, should i be going after these as soon as possible or are they not really that important yet?

Has anyone come up with a leveling guide suggesting skill paths to max out characters quickly for the main quest? I know the game really begins after you beat it, I just feel driven to keep grinding skill points until i feel pretty ubre so the rest of the game is reasonably easy...so i need to get to a comfort point where i can stop.

Also...do falcon earrings give double attack all the time or is it just a chance thing...does it stack with the falcon sword and falcon swing?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited August 2010
    They aren't earrings, they are a set of knives. So they are equipped in the weapon slot and cannot be used with sword skills, but they do always give double attacks (and two chances for the knife skills to activate).

Darian on
    edited August 2010
    A guide is not necessary because you cannot make wrong choices as far as leveling goes - or I guess you can but it just means it'll take longer for you to max things and some fights will be slightly harder. Everyone should just play the game any way they want.

But if you have to have something to follow, here:

Dump all your hero's minstrel points into sword until it is maxed. Don't change classes, just finish sword. This might not be the best possible thing to do but it's what I did, it gives you a solid weapon no matter the class, and ensures at least one person will always have Metal Slash to kill metal slimes early on.

Make the rest of your first team priest, thief, and martial artist. Put all points in the class skill all the time no matter what job they are because those abilities and stat increases stay with you all the time.

As soon as you can change classes, make everyone a martial artist and level enough to learn Psyche Up, then make everyone a thief and learn Half Inch. Then switch back to your original classes and keep going.

Unlock other classes but don't switch to them. You will probably not finish those starting classes until near the end of the game.

Whenever you feel like it, probably after getting the final key, set up a team with at least two sword users, one with the falcon blade. Go to a liquid metal slime hunting spot and earn everyone 100 points that you do not spend. Probably the best class to do this with is armamentalist because it is awful. Since you can't have everyone on your team as armamentalists at once, level gladiator and paladin if you can (and spend the points earned there in the class skill).

When you have 100 points saved up, max out axes for everyone. This is to make metal slime hunting much easier, being able to use Hatchet Man with everyone in all classes.

Unlock sage in the final dungeon and max it out immediately for all characters. This is for the crazy stat boosts and -25% MP costs.

After this, your next goal is probably getting shields to 100 for everyone for post game content. After that, switch everyone into every class and get all the class skills to 100, followed by getting every weapon to 100 (maybe start with fans for attackers and wands for your healer). This is all easier said than done, so good luck.

That's just me.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh hey, and! What are pop socks? I picked up a pair in a dungeon, but I can't find them ANYWHERE in items or equipment.

Imperfect on
    edited August 2010
    Pop Socks are leg items.

EDIT: I'm not sure why Uncle Sporky is so allergic to changing vocations, but in my opinion, you SHOULD change vocations as often as possible. It won't hurt you at all, and it will help to have so many skill points sloshing around from leveling up a variety of vocations. If it becomes boring to level up so many vocations, then stop doing it and progress as normal.

I would suggest switching vocations often, and applying the points to a single weapon skill first for each character in your party. It doesn't really matter which one, although I'd suggest staying away from boomerangs and whips for your first weapon skill (again, it doesn't really matter) and suggest wands for a character designated as your main spellcaster.

Then I'd max out shield. Shields are probably the best boost you can get for half of the vocations in the game, and the skills that you get are almost essential.

Along the way, investing points in each vocational skill is fine, and once you have a maxed weapon skill and shield, you can pretty much keep dumping points into vocational skills for the rest of the main story.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2010
    Knee-high socks; Also used to make various tights.

Darian on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Whenever you feel like it, probably after getting the final key, set up a team with at least two sword users, one with the falcon blade. Go to a liquid metal slime hunting spot and earn everyone 100 points that you do not spend. Probably the best class to do this with is armamentalist because it is awful. Since you can't have everyone on your team as armamentalists at once, level gladiator and paladin if you can (and spend the points earned there in the class skill).

Huh? 'Splain.

Armamentalist is one of the best classes in the game, IMO. They have great stat growths, bring some of the most useful class abilities (and class scroll) in the game, and are the best buffers and debuffers around.

If I had to vote for most useless class, I'd go with Thief or Luminary. Thief because the Ranger outclasses him in virtually every way, and Luminary... well come on. Neither class is worth leveling except for class abilities and scrolls.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited August 2010
    I'm not picking a most useless class, I'm picking a class to take from 1 to 38 in order to earn 100 points. Armamentalist is a fine choice for this purpose. It doesn't have any abilities that are necessary for the end of the game and gives small bonuses to stuff like charm and magical might.

Many people have expressed that armamentalist is the most underwhelming class and I agree.

UncleSporky on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The fource skills are really incredible. I wouldn't say they're "necessary" -- nothing is -- but they're pretty damn close. They're essentially a second Oomph, stacking with Oomph itself, and they can be cast on the whole party in a single turn. On occasion they're quite useful for defense, as well.

Billmaan on
  • MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not picking a most useless class, I'm picking a class to take from 1 to 38 in order to earn 100 points. Armamentalist is a fine choice for this purpose. It doesn't have any abilities that are necessary for the end of the game and gives small bonuses to stuff like charm and magical might.

Many people have expressed that armamentalist is the most underwhelming class and I agree.

I am definitely not one of those people. I ran with a mage for most of the game and spent far more time having them buff as opposed to doing direct magic damage, especially against bosses. In post game I switched them to Armamentalist and never, ever regretted it; now I had a buffer with much better survivability that could actually land decent damage.

Also, that seems like a drastic, drastic undervaluing of the Fource abilities which I've found cut kill times drastically, even against disruptive wave spamming opponents, and have made several fights quite a bit easier when you can use them for elemental defense, too. Murdaw jumps to mind.

You did say "end of the game" there so if you weren't talking about post-game stuff then you could have a point; that said, it is extremely useful in post-game so I'd be hesitant to blow the easy 100 skill points from it, since you'll end up having to tap yet another class later on just to build up the Armamentalist skills, when you need them.

EDIT: Entirely removed from the armamentalist discussion, I thought I'd mention my own experience with vocation leveling:

I had minstrel -> warrior, thief, mage, priest for most of the game and this did fine; very nearly any combo will work for the main game. I focused on class skills and I think only had weapon skills up to ~20-25 on everyone by the time I finished; not optimal, but it wasn't catastrophic by any means. Post-game they got switched as follows: warrior -> paladin, thief -> gladiator, mage -> armamentalist, priest -> sage.

Those vocations were my "main" setup for post-game. Sprinkled in between grottos and legacy bosses and post-game questing I'd hit up Slime Hill or the Bowhole for LMS, and leveled up some other vocations to max out class skills. Everyone gets sage for the massive mp boost and cut to mana costs; everyone also got martial artist eventually for the massive agility boost. The Paladin and Gladiator maxed out spear and axe, respectively, for the critical skills. Paladin also eventually was leveled by everyone for resilience and hp boosts. Once I had hatchet man and thunder thrust every once in awhile I'd head back to Slime Hill and take something else to 38 to add stats on my guys.

That took awhile, obviously, and you don't do it all at once. This setup, however, has worked like a charm through hours and hours of postgame. It probably won't work as well against the really crazy stuff like high-level legacy bosses but it's gotten me up to MKS grottos, and as such leveling is a hell of a lot easier so retweaking it later won't be a problem.

Meiteron on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Fource skills are hella awesome for grotto and legacy bosses.

The only stupid thing is... good luck figuring out what element bosses are weak to. Sometimes the monster guide throws you a bone and tells you, but more often than not you're hitting up a Gamefaqs bestiary.

The Wolfman on
    edited August 2010
    By the way, the GFAQs vocation guide lists an XP modifier for each class..."10% extra" or "base," etc.

Does that mean you are given extra XP from battles while in that class, or it takes extra XP to gain a level?

UncleSporky on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    By the way, the GFAQs vocation guide lists an XP modifier for each class..."10% extra" or "base," etc.

Does that mean you are given extra XP from battles while in that class, or it takes extra XP to gain a level?

I think it's percent extra to gain a level, because my Warrior and Martial Artists are gaining levels than my Priest and Mage, who have percentage modifiers.

I really wish the game didn't have the XP penalty for lower levels... I mean, I can understand for when you're playing with other people, but for your own characters it's a pain.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Fource skills are hella awesome for grotto and legacy bosses.

The only stupid thing is... good luck figuring out what element bosses are weak to. Sometimes the monster guide throws you a bone and tells you, but more often than not you're hitting up a Gamefaqs bestiary.

Eh, I usually find it faster just to try fources until I find one that helps. Walking over to the computer and loading up GameFAQs just takes so much effort.

Billmaan on
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I really wish the game didn't have the XP penalty for lower levels... I mean, I can understand for when you're playing with other people, but for your own characters it's a pain.

On the other hand, I'm glad you gain even more later on, so that even from 80-99 it's just a couple metal king kills per level, instead of exponential all the way through.

UncleSporky on
    edited August 2010

Give a character the armamentalist book and have him fight wisely - he'll use the proper skill within the first few rounds of the fight (first round, if it is a melee-attack class).

Darian on
    edited August 2010
    If I had to vote for most useless class, I'd go with Thief or Luminary. Thief because the Ranger outclasses him in virtually every way, and Luminary... well come on. Neither class is worth leveling except for class abilities and scrolls.
    The thief has an interesting selection of midgame armor compared to a Ranger. Rangers can only use light armor, while Thieves can use a lot of heavy items oddly enough, like Sacred/Sacrosanct armor and Mirror/Captotric(sp?) armor. This advantage evaporates in the endgame items, when thieves and rangers are basically restricted to the Togas and other light armors, but it's something to keep in mind in the midgame/endgame story sections. Rangers are better than thieves in Deftness and spell selection, otherwise.

The Luminary has poor spell selection, but they CAN equip all of the endgame heavy armors. I wouldn't choose one over, say, a Paladin, but that does make them more durable than Rangers in general. Their attack power is about on par with Minstrels, I'd say. Other than the armor selection, they don't have much going for them. Since they are unlocked so late in the game (post-game, after beating the main story), they really aren't a viable candidate for a vocation to use as a skill point sponge.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now, how do you set up a wizard ward?

Hilariously enough, my party fits sporky's advice perfectly--minstrel, priest, martial artist, and thief

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg