As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Hmm, sounds worse than the Android version, I figured they'd at least try to use the music from that one. Also like to note the music heard in that first town in the beginning of the video isn't in the JP 3DS version, guess they didn't have an orchestral version of it and replaced it with the other town music.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Music sounds the same to me

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    amazing how the 3DS is worse than the freaking PS2.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I mean, Morrie and Red are nice additions, but overall it just looks and sounds terrible. I think I'll just wait for a probably inevitable PS4/Switch release.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They really called his boomerang special 'swing both ways'

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I mean, Morrie and Red are nice additions, but overall it just looks and sounds terrible. I think I'll just wait for a probably inevitable PS4/Switch release.

Given that the orchestral music wasn't in the 3DS version for licensing reasons, it's unlikely to appear in the western version of a future release of the game, with the possible exception of an emulated version of the PS2 game, like Sony did with Dark Cloud.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The DQXI stage event just started:
    https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=7vqp8xeUOUs

Edit: It's ovah! They're targeting a 2017 release for the (Japanese) PS4 and 3DS versions, so probably a 2018 release for us (if we even get the 3DS version, I could see them sticking with PS4/Switch by that point).

Here's the opening cinematic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHYS2OWYW0

And here's some gameplay clips from both the PS4 and 3DS versions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCMRiZx78Jk

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm sold. That looks great.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    On the one hand, Toriyama's art style with the cel shading just looks goddamn beautiful in high res, so the PS4 version is an easy choice.

On the other hand, the sheer novelty factor of having an overhead SNES styling of the world on the lower screen is just pure brilliance, making the 3DS version an easy choice.

This is fucking Sophie's Choice right here.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Thief seems like a bro.

• Options
    On the one hand, Toriyama's art style with the cel shading just looks goddamn beautiful in high res, so the PS4 version is an easy choice.

On the other hand, the sheer novelty factor of having an overhead SNES styling of the world on the lower screen is just pure brilliance, making the 3DS version an easy choice.

Showing both the 2D and (basic) 3D versions simultaneously is just an early-game mechanic, they eventually force you to choose between the two.

As I mentioned above though, I'm really not confident they'll even bother localising the 3DS version.

• Options
    It's not even a choice for me

Give me that HD goodness

• Options

Showing both the 2D and (basic) 3D versions simultaneously is just an early-game mechanic, they eventually force you to choose between the two.

As I mentioned above though, I'm really not confident they'll even bother localising the 3DS version.

Well that's disappointing, but also hopeful. If it's going to be an option you have to choose from, then presumably you can change it back and forth whenever you want. So the console version by all rights should have the same option.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Well that's disappointing, but also hopeful. If it's going to be an option you have to choose from, then presumably you can change it back and forth whenever you want. So the console version by all rights should have the same option.

The console version doesn't have it. The 3DS and PS4 versions are based on the same designs and script but they're two completely different versions of the game made by two different developers. It's weird but it seems like that was their compromise between doing a handheld only DQXI or a console only DQXI.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmmm...I doubt that they're gonna release both over here. I mean, hasn't Nintendo basically funded almost all DQ localizations since they went full handheld? It makes more sense to have only PS4 release over here though.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'll get whatever they release here. Though if I have to choose between PS4 and Switch, I"ll probably go with Switch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

The console version doesn't have it. The 3DS and PS4 versions are based on the same designs and script but they're two completely different versions of the game made by two different developers. It's weird but it seems like that was their compromise between doing a handheld only DQXI or a console only DQXI.

They look distinct enough that I would actually consider buying both if we got them.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PS4 VERSION HELLS YEA.

That looks like my jam.

I needs it.

• Options
    Hmmm...I doubt that they're gonna release both over here. I mean, hasn't Nintendo basically funded almost all DQ localizations since they went full handheld? It makes more sense to have only PS4 release over here though.

Yeah, the problem to me is if the Japanese versions are scheduled for 2017, that means the western localisations probably won't be happening until 2018 and at that point, is anyone going to care about the 3DS? I doubt even Nintendo would as long as the Switch version gets localised alongside the PS4 version.

That's why I kinda hope the Switch version actually turns out to be a port of the 3DS version, so we get both. But I'm sure some of the people planning on picking up a Switch would disagree with that.

• Options
    I'm a little worried about how well DQVIII 3DS will actually sell. It has objectively less new things for a Western audience than the Japanese version had for it's audience, and with the loss of the orchestral tracks, it's a bigger downgrade too.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Arent the 2 DQ games coming out soonish for the 3ds like really old at this point? Those kinds of ports usually only sell well for diehards of a franchise or genre. Considering DQ and really old school jrpg games are kind of niche in today's market, I dont think it will do terribly well.

There hasn't been a game that captured my attention like Dragonwarrior 3 and DWMonsters taras adventure in a very long time. My gameboy destroyed so many batteries in my quest to do everything in those games. I havent been a big fan of any of the DQ games or the Monster Joker variants recently. Its kind of weird how the DQ games are so stoicly oldschool to the point of shooting themselves in the foot, and FF games want to be so revolutionary every time that they also suffer. The FF and DQ teams need to trade some players and hit a middle ground...

• Options
    DQVII 3DS is already out and yeah, it sold horribly. VIII will probably follow suit, sadly. On the bright side, DQ Builders did decently.

And no, one of the main reasons why Dragon Quest remains so popular in Japan is because it sticks to tradition. Horii wanted to turn DQIX into an Action RPG but then the internet shitstorm in Japan hit and they back pedalled.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I thought 9 was terrible. Im all for keeping the old school turn based combat and picking different classes for your characters, but i hope any new entries do better than 9. And it looks like instead they just made ff15 into an action rpg lol. Though i havent played it because i dont have a ps4. I kind of hate that bravely default is like the best old school jrpg weve got recently because i cant stand playing "dad joke the jrpg".

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    When I played it, Dragon Quest 8 felt overly restricted in ways that were less fun than it would be if the restrictions weren't there. Character growth in particular has you sort of flailing blindly, and the alchemy pot is important but poorly implemented, leaving me with a limited sense of ownership over the characters. I have no real desire to play through it again.

• Options
    As I understand it the alchemy pot was significantly improved from the PS2 version(e.g. it's now instant). I'm not sure what the character growth specifically references to be able to comment.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I thought 9 was terrible. Im all for keeping the old school turn based combat and picking different classes for your characters, but i hope any new entries do better than 9. And it looks like instead they just made ff15 into an action rpg lol. Though i havent played it because i dont have a ps4. I kind of hate that bravely default is like the best old school jrpg weve got recently because i cant stand playing "dad joke the jrpg".

You should really play some of the Legend of Heroes games. Trails in the Sky SC (Second Chapter) in particular is the best JRPG I've played since Persona 4.

• Options
    There's sticking to tradition and then there's being shackled by it. And Dragon Quest has got some shackles. If I have to talk to a priest and press the button 10 times to cycle through his worthless spiel just to save the game, I'm going to scream. To say nothing of the "tradition" of also talking to said priest to get a verbal readout of how much exp you need. A system that was solved decades ago.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel. But there's been some fabulous progress made in regards to rubber, carbon fiber, and the like. There's no need to chisel them out of granite still.

• Options
    You're going to have to talk to a priest and go through his whole thing

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Finally picked this thing back up and passed the horrible Alltrades Abbey section. Now to grind vocations out and also slowly work toward that PKS!

Question: Do monster vocation skills remain when you leave that vocation? Or only the base monster vocations?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    All monster vocation skills stay. The only things you don't keep are the skills from human professions above the basic ones.

Note however that the mastery bonus for mastering a monster job are only active while you're in that job. For example Platinum King Jewels get a fucknormous +255 Resilience when you fully master it, while Ersatz Estarks gain 60% resistance to all ailments, and so forth.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's amazing how much monster animations add to the experience. My first go-round with DQ7 on the PS I was already getting burnt out around Alltrades Abbey (and I eventually gave up at around hour 40), but I'm at the same point on the 3DS version and I'm going strong.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    A thing I haven't seen mentioned: if an ability learned by an advanced human vocation is also learned by a basic one, you'll keep it when changing vocations even if you never went through said basic vocation.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Ah dang, after using over a dozen healing herbs thanks to the lack of abilities, I died to the two bosses next to Alltrades Abbey. (Er, the time you're supposed to actually win.) Well, guess I'll just try again -- what? The actually strong party member isn't coming this time? Gah. Okay, time to plow through it with 47 healing herbs, and -- what? You're not actually going to heal me before I fight the boss, unlike the first time? FFFFFFFFFFFF

(I love Dragon Quest, but man does the series hark back to the days when games were filled with bullshit.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Either the review embargo got lifted super early, or maybe there was no embargo on this game. But anyway, reviews for DQ8 are starting to pop up.

IGN likes it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/10/dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-review

• Options
    That troublesome priest is a thorn in my side. But I don't expect to be rid of him.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Looks like it can handle a few more simultaneous objects than I worried.
    Now I'm mainly bothered by that edited cutscene, I suppose.

• Options
    Ended up getting both DQ8 and Gravity Rush 2 today rather than tomorrow since Amazon takes release dates as more of a suggestion, so I suppose I'll have to wrap up my DQ7 quick-like. I think I just had a profession grind or two to finish and then the bonus boss/dungeon and then it's on to DQ8.