As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I actually think that's before you even get the monster wagon.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the first dungeon is pretty hard. I think you are expected to die a few times in it since you don't game over. for the first half monsters are pretty important, get a rotten apple especially. after the big time lapse the only two I really used were various cure slimes and a golem.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the first dungeon is pretty hard. I think you are expected to die a few times in it since you don't game over. for the first half monsters are pretty important, get a rotten apple especially. after the big time lapse the only two I really used were various cure slimes and a golem.

There was definitely one set of enemies in the haunted mansion that I think was specifically designed to wipe you.

• Options

I do have a wagon. Just loaded up the same; main is 14, Harry 12, I seem to have at least a few monsters, including a slime knight (at level 4.)
    The last save is at Heaven's Above Abbey. No clue where to go or what to do.
    Party chat suggests I'm doing something with an old mirror in a tower? Maria's tagging along. I thought I was getting my ass handed to me by Harry's mother.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    And my backlog quest continues! I am on D right now, so on PC I am playing Dishonored, but in the mobile space, I am playing, you guessed it, DQ9! YAYYYYY SLIMES.

I am on, what I believe, is the final battle...
    Mega-Corvus, post killing Barnabus.

About to scratch another one off my list, I do believe. Though I do plan to do some post game, as I'd like to finish up some of my characters skills just to say I did (specifically my main characters Paladin tank build).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

I do have a wagon. Just loaded up the same; main is 14, Harry 12, I seem to have at least a few monsters, including a slime knight (at level 4.)
    Party chat suggests I'm doing something with an old mirror in a tower? Maria's tagging along. I thought I was getting my ass handed to me by Harry's mother.

It's early enough in the game where if you think you're super boned you could restart but I think maybe a bit of leveling and monster catching will set you right. I think you should follow your party talk advice though.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    And my backlog quest continues! I am on D right now, so on PC I am playing Dishonored, but in the mobile space, I am playing, you guessed it, DQ9! YAYYYYY SLIMES.

I am on, what I believe, is the final battle...
    Mega-Corvus, post killing Barnabus.

About to scratch another one off my list, I do believe. Though I do plan to do some post game, as I'd like to finish up some of my characters skills just to say I did (specifically my main characters Paladin tank build).

If I remember correctly, DQ9 has a huuuuuge post-game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It's early enough in the game where if you think you're super boned you could restart but I think maybe a bit of leveling and monster catching will set you right. I think you should follow your party talk advice though.

Apparently I'd done all the prep work to take on that boss with monsters in party, and then gave up. Sailed right through it and on with the game.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I really need to finish DQ IX. I must've had more fun with it than any old-school FF in a long time.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Twenty golems defeated with none offering to join my party. A few of those were two at once, so probably like fifteen chances, but the odds are 1 in 4, so the RNG clearly has my number today.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Twenty golems defeated with none offering to join my party. A few of those were two at once, so probably like fifteen chances, but the odds are 1 in 4, so the RNG clearly has my number today.

Are you level 25?

edit: also, wow, you are soaring through this game.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Are you level 25?

edit: also, wow, you are soaring through this game.

Yeah, I was. Got it the next battle after posting, of course.
    It's not that long a game. I'm 28 now, just got the flying carpet (BTW, before gamefaqs, how the hell did anyone figure out what to do next? First time in any DQ game nobody in the town I was in told me where to go) and I'm only at 18 hours.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New Dragon Quest 7 (3DS) features
    - The Monster Park is still in it.
    - Like in the original game, sometimes when you beat up a monster it'll get back up and you can recruit it to the Monster Park, and you can find design docs across the world to help expand your Park with new biomes.
    - You can talk to the monsters you've recruited.
    - There's now a mysterious cave in the Park. To explore it, you have to create a party of up to three monsters you've recruited and send them in. Inside, you can obtain Streetpass Shards. I'm gonna assume monster classes for the party have been excised in favor of this system.
    - The Streetpass Shards can be used in the Immigrant Town (the Immigrant Town is also back) to access new dungeons/areas/storyline
    - Apparently once you get a Tavern open in the Immigrant Town, you can start passing things via the Internet?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on whether or not they are reworking the job system for the DQVII remake?
    Having the jobs level up based on the number of battles you had fought was the worst thing. (At least to me)

moebius.jpg
  • Options
    It's unlikely, since that's how it worked in 6 on the SNES and 6 on the DS.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    It's much easier to deal with if you know it is coming.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man, those screenshots look simply fantastic.

• Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, that looks amazing! Needs to hurry up and come out in the US.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Could have sworn I heard something about DQVII having basic jobs available at the start. That would be nice.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    One sure thing about DQ is that it never really changes. Always the same main theme, art style, and monsters. Still, that is it's charm.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    One sure thing about DQ is that it never really changes. Always the same main theme, art style, and monsters. Still, that is it's charm.

That's what I love about Dragon Quest. It's reliable.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    dragon_quest_vii_3ds_box_art.jpg?w=625&h=569

Damn, that's a nice looking boxart. Really need it to come out here now...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Might be a long shot, but anyone in Ottawa (Ontario) has some Metal King Slime grotto maps to share in Dragon Quest IX? I'm slowly making my way through the post-game, but a MKS grotto would help speed things up.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    So, I just got the itch to restart this game since I never got more than about 6 hours in, and is the multiplayer map portion really a huuuuuge element of the game. I know it's a big time sink and helps you get items, but are the grotto maps really helpful to get. I don't have a lot of gamer friends anyway, so.... Thoughts?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    So, I just got the itch to restart this game since I never got more than about 6 hours in, and is the multiplayer map portion really a huuuuuge element of the game. I know it's a big time sink and helps you get items, but are the grotto maps really helpful to get. I don't have a lot of gamer friends anyway, so.... Thoughts?

I'm playing completely on my own and it's fine. You can complete the entire storyline without ever worrying about multiplayer or exploring grottoes (except one that's story-related, I think).

I'm even doing the post-game stuff by myself. Having a friend to trade items and grottoes would just speed up the process of getting a a grotto with high rank chests (better items), monsters (more experience) and bosses. But you can still get these on your own. Each grotto you get is randomly generated, so of course it might take a while.

The one thing I would suggest is connecting to the DQVC (online shop) every week. They sell pretty good items. You probably won't have enough money to buy any until much later in the game, though.

• Options
    Good to know.

also, DQVII is a bane of existence to me. I put over 120 hours into it on the PS, got to final battle and got creamed over and over and quit. But holy shit, immigrant town and monster park coming back... Those were SOOOOOOO addictive. Day one purchase on this game.

• Options
    I have (had? god I hope I still have it) a save of a 100% DW7.

Those months of my life that I will never get back.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Is there any real reason to keep special guest items? I just look at how much they sell for and am thinking... "I could afford some of those SUPER nice items on the DQVC and BANK a lot of funds."

• Options
    Is there any real reason to keep special guest items? I just look at how much they sell for and am thinking... "I could afford some of those SUPER nice items on the DQVC and BANK a lot of funds."

As far as I know, they're only used to earn accolades when you equip all the items from a specific guest. For example, wear all of Angelo's items and you'll get the Tasty Templar accolade.

• Options
    so nothing i'm concerned with... YESSSSSSSS

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

Oh hey, you're ahead of me, haha. Saw that on the Dragonquest Reddit, which I help moderate.

I can't freaking wait! Now they just need to announce DQM: Terry's Wonderland for the US ... but the window on that is rapidly fading...

I'd say I'm waiting for DQ7, but that's really a given, so, save the hope for DQM1R.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

You know money's not an object once you get the alchemy pot, right?

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I recently picked up DQ IX again, and I finally made it to the area you can change your class. Should I have seen many side quests by this point? I think I've seen one or two item delivery quests, but nothing else.
    Edit: I just found out about the DQVC. I got a bunch of free items from the guests in the inn, and feel really dirty because they're all way better than anything I earned.
    Does the DQVC still update?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I recently picked up DQ IX again, and I finally made it to the area you can change your class. Should I have seen many side quests by this point? I think I've seen one or two item delivery quests, but nothing else.
    Edit: I just found out about the DQVC. I got a bunch of free items from the guests in the inn, and feel really dirty because they're all way better than anything I earned.
    Does the DQVC still update?

You should have had some quests with some ghosts. I really need to pick this one up again. I probably have a bunch of quests to download.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    You know that updated 3DS/Wii U crossplay version of DQIX? That needs to exist.

How does VII compare to the rest of the series? So far IX is the only one I really like. I spent single digit hours with IV, V, and VI.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Why does my thief have such a hard time stealing anything?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Because stealing gives you awesome things.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Jishian wrote: »
    You know that updated 3DS/Wii U crossplay version of DQIX? That needs to exist.

How does VII compare to the rest of the series? So far IX is the only one I really like. I spent single digit hours with IV, V, and VI.

VII is the longest game in the series so far. I'm not sure how to compare it with the others, but I'll say that its structure is a lot more episodic than the series is normally. Each new area is generally a town with a big problem and a dungeon or two that needs clearing out in order to solve said problem. It makes it hard to get into the grander story because you see so little of it for the first 3/4 of the game, but each town's story is typically charming in that DQ way. The biggest flaw is the shards you have to find, as missing one can be a huge pain in the ass. But as I understand it, the 3DS version makes this less of a problem.

The class system is much like DQ6 (and 9? it's been a while, so I can't remember 9 that well).