As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Claim letter for a accident that didn't happen

khainkhain Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I got a letter in the mail today saying that my vehicle, with no description or identification given, was involved in an accident about a month and they want me to mail back a form with some insurance information or sign that I didn't have insurance though no personal information. As stated in the title, I haven't been in an accident though about a year ago I did give my old car to Good Will and am confused on what I'm suppose to do next. There is a contact number and it's the same number that the insurance company, Workmen's Auto Insurance, gives on their website so is the correct course of action to call them up and find out more information or am I able to just ignore the whole thing since neither myself nor my car were involved in any accidents on the date they gave.

khain on

• Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would call the number and ask for more information. It may be that someone driving the car you gave to Goodwill got in an accident and the registration never got switched over for some reason. Did you get any type of documentation when donating the car?

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    don't give them any personal information if you call them, could be a phishing scam.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It may just be the paranoid side of me speaking - but I'd even go so far as to call from a payphone/block your number. If they have caller ID they could get your number and start pushing harder to get info out of you and trying to convince you they're legit.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd suggest you take the letter to your insurance agent and ask them what steps should be taken next.

Really sounds like a phishing scam to me, and your insurance company should know what to do with it next.

see317 on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I completely agree with see317. Don't call them yourself. This is why you pay for insurance, so they can handle it. Your insurance company will probably take care of it without any action needed from you; at worst they'll tell you what they need from you.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X