As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I think I've spent over $200 on headsets in the past 2 years

variantvariant Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Because one side keeps going out! I don't buy cheap ones either, theyre usually $40 each... the wire on one of the sides always ends up getting jacked up and I cant hear out of one ear or the mic just stops working.

So I'm wondering if there are any bluetooth headsets out there that are worth looking in to?

variant on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First of all, what are you using it for? Second, $40 is kind of on the cheap end for a headset.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    for gaming on the pc, if i can find a usb bluetooth one that also works with the PS3, that would be awesome.

variant on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How are you storing them when not in use? Headphone cable strain relief can only do so much, if you're kinking or straining the cable when you store them.

I'd recommend some nice closed cans (I use Sennheiser HD 280's, which I think you can find for under $100) and use extra care when storing them. Don't wrap the cable around the headphones when you're done, for example.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I spent $250 on one set of headphones three years ago.

You get what you pay for.

I recommend Sennheiser also.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I recommend buying a separate (cheap) usb mic and then just looking into to getting some decent cans.

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In your next headphone purchase, make removable cabling (as in, a female TRS connector in the headphone itself rather than a TRS cable running out of it directly) a requirement. That way, once you've destroyed your headphone cable through what I can only assume is ritualistic cable torture you can simply purchase a new male TRS to male TRS cable for $0.14 and start the fun all over again in blissful stereo.

Or wrap your headphone cable properly and buy whatever tickles your fancy. Here is how to wrap your headphone cable properly.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I use a Philips SHB9000 bluetooth headset that I'm really quite pleased with; it looks and sounds really nice. I also use it as headphones for my phone, so that I can listen to music and receive calls if I need to.
    Too many wires broke on me to go back to wired headsets.

Philips-SHB9000-0.jpg

This one also works on the PS3 and it can pair to two devices at once, so it would be perfect for your situation.

Flapke on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just bought a headset with a quick-disconnect cable (maybe six months ago). Similar to what Dark Moon is suggesting, except that instead of coming directly out of the can (which would be preferred) it disconnects a couple inches away...still keeps you from doing any funky wrapping on the cord, though.

Astro A40s, if you're curious...linked so you can see what I'm talking about on the quick-disconnect. That's a pretty damn nice headset, though individually it's sickeningly overpriced and even with the Mixamp it's a bit overpriced.

I link this also to point out that $40 for a headset is cheap.

That set (with the Mixamp) will work with PC, PS3, Xbox, anything with a optical/coax Dolby Digital output, and anything with RCA stereo outputs. They also service the headset if you need it, and while not cheap it certainly beats buying a new one if you fuck the cable up again...basically if you fuck up a $40 headset it's garbage, but if you fuck up a $200+ headset you pay $40 or $60 and it's fixed...and you still have a $200+ headset, instead of a $40 one.

Obviously I understand if you don't have the cash for something like that. I think it's just important that you understand that you get what you pay for here, because for some reason a lot of people see headsets as somewhere to cut corners. In the long run you aren't necessarily saving money, and you're getting a lesser experience to boot.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Astro A40s, if you're curious...linked so you can see what I'm talking about on the quick-disconnect. That's a pretty damn nice headset, though individually it's sickeningly overpriced and even with the Mixamp it's a bit overpriced.
    They also sound pretty bad and have a shit soundstage. They don't sound nearly as nice as, say, an ATH-AD700 does (which are also considerably cheaper). The latter are headphones and not a headset, but given how bad the A40s sound the expense of a detachable mic doesn't make up the huge cost difference.

The MixAmp is a different story, but that works with other headsets (The Turtle Beach HPX-1 even comes with a cable for use with it).
    I link this also to point out that $40 for a headset is cheap.
    I paid $35 for my Sennheiser headset (PC150) that I've been using daily for the past three years. A little glue was needed around the inner headband about six months ago, but they're still going strong. I have another set of cans for music listening, but they work just fine for games.

$40 is cheap as far as headsets (and even decent headphones) go, but that doesn't mean that they should be complete crap and break that often (Sennheiser should have a two year warranty on all their headphones/headsets). You shouldn't abuse the cord, though.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

They also sound pretty bad and have a shit soundstage. They don't sound nearly as nice as, say, an ATH-AD700 does (which are also considerably cheaper). The latter are headphones and not a headset, but given how bad the A40s sound the expense of a detachable mic doesn't make up the huge cost difference.

The MixAmp is a different story, but that works with other headsets (The Turtle Beach HPX-1 even comes with a cable for use with it).

Yeah, that's why I say they're somewhat overpriced...with the Mixamp you're basically paying $120 for the headset (over the price of the Mixamp alone), and for $120 you can get a marginally better headset...and no, I don't compare headphones because I place significant value in a decent detachable mic and inline mute button. I haven't found a lapel mic (and desk mic's no good, because I use it on consoles on my couch ) at a decent enough price/quality ratio that, added to the headphones, it becomes a drastically better deal than the A40s.

The Mixamp I can recommend in a heartbeat to anybody with the money, but like I said I agree that the A40s are overpriced. I disagree that they sound "bad," just that they don't sound as good as a headset at that price point (particularly the $200 standalone price, which is patently absurd) should. For $200, they're highway robbery. For $120...meh.

Honestly I'd recommend getting the Mixamp and a different headset, except that I hear people say just about the same thing that you just said about every other headset (not headphones) at about the same pricepoint, including Sennheiser's. *shrug*

mcdermott on
  • Options
    X5X5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I spent $250 on one set of headphones three years ago.

You get what you pay for.

I recommend Sennheiser also.

Another vote for Sennheiser from my end.

My wifes gone through 3 pairs of crappy headphones $40 or under in 3 years. Spend the money on a nice set, and no matter how much you spend in the end, treat them very very nicely. The cables can only take so much before going out.

X5 on
    TheX5.png
  • Options
    BurnsBurns Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bought Logitech's g930 last week and, in all seriousness, this thing is boss. It's pricey, and the bad news is that the RF needs a USB transceiver to be plugged in, so that disqualifies it if you're set on PS3 compatibility (I think).

Amazon Linky

Burns on
    I only posted here for the blue dot.
  • Options
    XalteraxXalterax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Flapke wrote: »
    I use a Philips SHB9000 bluetooth headset that I'm really quite pleased with; it looks and sounds really nice. I also use it as headphones for my phone, so that I can listen to music and receive calls if I need to.

I think I just found my next headset. Nice recommendation there, no wires for the win.

Xalterax on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Instead of starting a new thread, any suggestions on Wireless Earbuds guys?

Looks like it is a toss up between bluetooth and kleer, with kleer meant to be better in terms of quality?

Seguer on
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you do end up buying Sennheiser make sure you buy from an Approved Dealer. There are a lot of shitty knockoffs going around.

Fagatron on