As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] Paradox buys White Wolf - Maybe not dead

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Temporis doesn't even exist*, it was pure fucking wankery from an almost universally reviled supplement.

*In the sense that Final Fantasy 9 does not exist, I mean.

One IRC game I played in had a guy running a True Brujah as the prince of the city, I think he masqueraded around as a Ventrue. The sickening part is the character was legitimately made and played for years, basically he kept his lineage a secret and was scary as fuck to mess with.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    True Brujah were really, really gay.

They served a valuable purpose to the storyteller though, anyone requesting to play one was someone you didn't want in your group.

Never ever saw one allowed in a LARP either, and I dealt with some stupid storytellers. But none of them were that stupid.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This guy actually ran his really well, he didn't abuse temporis or any of that crap. It was the only time I ran across one that was actually good.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »
    This guy actually ran his really well, he didn't abuse temporis or any of that crap. It was the only time I ran across one that was actually good.

Anything can be played well, but when something is played poorly habitually, it kind of deserves the reputation it ends up with...

Multiple personality Malkavians are 99% awful. But I played a really good, really fucked up, really scary one who (luckily for the other players) spent more of his energy neutralizing himself (through conflicting personalities) than he did accomplishing any of the goals of his individual personalities.

But that doesn't change the fact that MPD Malks are just garbage as a rule.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »

Anything can be played well, but when something is played poorly habitually, it kind of deserves the reputation it ends up with...

Multiple personality Malkavians are 99% awful. But I played a really good, really fucked up, really scary one who (luckily for the other players) spent more of his energy neutralizing himself (through conflicting personalities) than he did accomplishing any of the goals of his individual personalities.

But that doesn't change the fact that MPD Malks are just garbage as a rule.

I can agree with that. Malks always made me roll my eyes, very few people ran them properly. Only one I made was s Sabbat, ex-Vietcong interrogator, complete sociopath that enjoyed his work.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    ReptarReptar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkavians were played terribly so often that such characters came to be called 'Fishmalks'. Something to do with slapping people with fish, I think.

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Temporis doesn't even exist*, it was pure fucking wankery from an almost universally reviled supplement.

Temporis was easily the second most thematically inappropriate Discipline ever.

The most inappropriate and downright broken Discipline was, of course, Thaumaturgy.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    True Brujah were really, really gay.

They served a valuable purpose to the storyteller though, anyone requesting to play one was someone you didn't want in your group.

Never ever saw one allowed in a LARP either, and I dealt with some stupid storytellers. But none of them were that stupid.

True Brujah weren't bad in and of themselves - they were basically nWoD Ventrue if you saddled them with the dumbest Discipline concept possible. I don't think they'd get half the shit they do if a) they didn't have fucking Temporis and b) they weren't inextricably tied to the ~True Black Hand~

gtrmp on
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Random WoD question but are Werewolves immortal?

Live longer than usual?

What about changelings?

Nyht on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    No.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nyht wrote: »

Live longer than usual?

What about changelings?

I'm really out of date here, so I'm probably getting the fine details wrong, but basically Werewolves have regeneration. I don't have the book handy but basically there's 3 kinds of damage in the world of darkness: Bashing, Lethal and Aggravated.

Bashing is blunt force trauma and mortals heal it at one level an hour. Humans can soak it bashing damage (that is, be tough enough to ignore some or all of it, depending on their stamina and the ammount of damage). (You have seven levels of health)
    Lethal is like lacerations or basically anything that's bigger than bashing. Mortals heal it at one level a day, and can't soak it..
    Aggravated is typically supernaturally induced damage. Whereas vampires can soak bashing and lethal, no sweat, they can't soak aggravated without using disciplines. (Like Fortitude)

Werewolves, however, can soak most forms of aggravated damage, with the exception of damage induced by Silver. Basiclaly Werewolves are tough motherfuckers and when you do manage to damage them, they'll typically heal it at a super fast rate (in a matter of turns rather than days)

Beyond that, Werewolves can and dodie of old age and typically don't live longer than humans. Most likely they die in battle though, even with their considerably damage resistance and regeneration. Dead is dead, and they can't regenerate back from that.

Changlings I can't speak to, but I don't think they're immortal either.

Out of all the playable splats, I think only Vampires, Wraiths and Mummies won't die of old age. Well, and any mage or hedge wizard who finds a method to stay alive forever as well.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Changlings don't worry about death so much as they worry about becoming mundane. Drowning in Banality isn't just some emo poem lyric for a Changling.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow! Thanks his royal corkiness, I'll be sure to update the OP with all the details as well as keep a closer eye on those forums. That's a pretty big chunk of information.

"permanent death" squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shitbox am I glad that this is based on OWoD.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nyht wrote: »

Live longer than usual?

What about changelings?

Werewolves are not immortal but live longer due to regeneration. Changelings are kinda immortal (but their human hosts are not) but as they get older the reality of everyday start to intrude into their lives and it becomes harder and harder to slip into the changeling world.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    True Brujah and the True Black Hand are literally, without a doubt, the shittiest things ever conceived of in OWoD. And there's a lot of competition for that lofty position.

Also "Romance" as a core concept makes me go ugghhh it's a fucking MMORPG this can only end stupidly.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reptar wrote: »
    Malkavians were played terribly so often that such characters came to be called 'Fishmalks'. Something to do with slapping people with fish, I think.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. The joke I heard was that there were two Malkavians you would always see at a LARP:

-The "fishmalk" - the guy whose idea of roleplaying an insanity is running up and hitting some one with a fish

-The "teddy bear malk" - usually played by a girl whose idea of insanity is regressing to childhood and showing up in bunny slippers carrying a teddybear

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find myself pining for more examples of such behavior. Surely these antics have been thoroughly cataloged?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    I find myself pining for more examples of such behavior. Surely these antics have been thoroughly cataloged?

I'm not sure. Pyromaniac Malkavians are also relatively common. I played in a LARP once where there was a real life juggalo playing a Malkavian who wore clown make up, though I'm not sure what his insanity was actually supposed to be. It's kind of a strange thing, because large scale, public games don't allow for the level of focus on a single character that makes insane characters really interesting. If you had a Malkavian character who was, for example, an obsessive hoarder, how would you even represent that in a LARP (or an online game)?

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are "My fourth wall is missing" Malks that common?

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The four overall themes they intended to have in the game are:
    - Mystery
    - Romance
    - Power
    - Danger

-One of their criterias for success is to make the game as accessible as possible. Specifically they want to get women involved in the game, as well as casual players. Also, they want to maximize the amount of human interaction that happens in the game.

-They confirmed that the game will definitely contains gay clubs. This is an excellent angle to cater to the gay and lesbian audience.

None of these three things alone worry me. It's the three added together that cause a nagging fear that this is going to turn into Second Life: Brooding Vampire Edition.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    - Mystery
    - Romance
    - Power
    - Danger

-One of their criterias for success is to make the game as accessible as possible. Specifically they want to get women involved in the game, as well as casual players. Also, they want to maximize the amount of human interaction that happens in the game.

-They confirmed that the game will definitely contains gay clubs. This is an excellent angle to cater to the gay and lesbian audience.

None of these three things alone worry me. It's the three added together that cause a nagging fear that this is going to turn into Second Life: Brooding Vampire Edition.

Or Hate Crimes Online, if they are allowing PvP.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    - Mystery
    - Romance
    - Power
    - Danger

No matter how you cut it, it sounds like a recipe for a catastrofuck.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yes.

Most people who play Malkavians have never known or even met someone who was legitimately mentally disturbed.

Those who have had the sad experience of being close to someone who is legitimately mentally disturbed generally don't have any interest in playing a Malk.

As far as fishmalks and teddie malks goes, that was exactly my experience as well.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    In short, Malkavians are pretty much the worst clan. They can be good but their player base tarnishes them. I'd rather have four Toreadors than one Malk.

Statistically, the one Malk is most likely to be the more annoying!

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    - Mystery
    - Romance
    - Power
    - Danger

No matter how you cut it, it sounds like a recipe for a catastrofuck.

It doesn't even sound like a video game. More like a roleplaying framework? On the plus side, it'll be the first true MMORPG ever?

I can't say the idea really sounds fun to me, but I'm impressed by CCP's ambition.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yes.

Most people who play Malkavians have never known or even met someone who was legitimately mentally disturbed.

Those who have had the sad experience of being close to someone who is legitimately mentally disturbed generally don't have any interest in playing a Malk.

As far as fishmalks and teddie malks goes, that was exactly my experience as well.

Pretty much this. When I was LARPing with the Camarilla, I had to deal with a player who was legitimately mentally ill (which eventually resulted in behaviour that got her kicked out of the organization). Aside from the teddy malks and fish malks, you might wind up with a pyromaniac or serial killer. I saw some one play a "kleptomaniac" Malkavian once (which wasn't exactly like a real kleptomaniac in that the character was stealing items of value, but it was at least a change). I've certainly never seen some one play a Malkavian with any realistic mental illness, such as schizophrenia, anxiety disorder, depression, etc - at least not at a LARP. I ran a Sabbat table top game for about a year that have a Malkavian antitribu that was bulimic (which is a huge, messy pain in the ass for Vampires, even Sabbat) and had anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive behaviour, but it's rare to see anything like that in a LARP.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

• Options
    edited September 2010

Yes.

Pretty much this. When I was LARPing with the Camarilla, I had to deal with a player who was legitimately mentally ill (which eventually resulted in behaviour that got her kicked out of the organization). Aside from the teddy malks and fish malks, you might wind up with a pyromaniac or serial killer. I saw some one play a "kleptomaniac" Malkavian once (which wasn't exactly like a real kleptomaniac in that the character was stealing items of value, but it was at least a change). I've certainly never seen some one play a Malkavian with any realistic mental illness, such as schizophrenia, anxiety disorder, depression, etc - at least not at a LARP. I ran a Sabbat table top game for about a year that have a Malkavian antitribu that was bulimic (which is a huge, messy pain in the ass for Vampires, even Sabbat) and had anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive behaviour, but it's rare to see anything like that in a LARP.

I don't remember seeing a good Malk in a LARP pretty much ever.

I played a Malk elder once in a LARP, and I did avoid all the typical failures of Malk players, but I can honestly say that the character wasn't my best roleplaying attempt and the character was probably one of the (stylistically) weakest narrator controlled characters in the game. Malks are pretty hard to LARP unless you're something of a method actor.

I've seen (and played) good Malks in tabletop games though, and I think that's the place where that clan can shine.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ReptarReptar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For anyone interested in tips on playing a Malkavian, this guide was really helpful to me:

Zen And The Art Of Playing The Insane

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Fishmalk

D:

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry at the accompanying picture.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malk's should be in the game. Case closed. Such a fun clan.

Updated the OP with all the new information thus far. Hopefully CCP releases an actual site and statement soon with confirmed info from the convention. If not we're gonna be short on info for a while, because they're just now going into full production.

Either way, cheers mates.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vampires only?

Aw

Aw man.

I'll have to wait for the pvp expansion to roll my GET OF FENRIS VIKING PHILODOX JUDGE OF DOOM

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hope they never expand into werewolves as playable, unless they make it a completely separate game. PvP between vampires and werewolves can never be balanced without horribly raping the system in mechanics as well as in spirit.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Plus. Werewolves usually stick to the woods outside cities.
    Let's not get into the hilariously awesome hobo werewolves that live in the city.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hope they never expand into werewolves as playable, unless they make it a completely separate game. PvP between vampires and werewolves can never be balanced without horribly raping the system in mechanics as well as in spirit.

Although honestly I would love to see PvP in this kind of game Vamps against werewolves, but you would have to unbalance the sides and make the environment usable to cause damage.

How many cannon fodder vamps DOES it take to bring down a were, and how many cars did they have to hit it with?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Let's not get into the hilariously awesome hobo werewolves that live in the city.

Glasswalkers. Executive VP wolves? Yes please.

edit: Most of my custom-made campaigns (for Werewolf) involved a vampire antagonist. Throwing a young pack in the heart of a sprawling, leech-controlled city. Death in every alley, spies in every restaurant and bar. Black cars slowly rolling past you as you walk down the street....was that a coincidence or a hit-squad scoping you out? Vamps were definately my favorite "villain" to use.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Updated the OP with all the new information thus far. Hopefully CCP releases an actual site and statement soon with confirmed info from the convention. If not we're gonna be short on info for a while, because they're just now going into full production.

Thanks for keeping on top of all the news KT.

Of the new info I didn't see anything I didn't like. It seems like this might be the 1st mmo to try and do something different/not WoW like. Will it work or fail APB style? Only time will tell!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »

Glasswalkers. Executive VP wolves? Yes please.

edit: Most of my custom-made campaigns (for Werewolf) involved a vampire antagonist. Throwing a young pack in the heart of a sprawling, leech-controlled city. Death in every alley, spies in every restaurant and bar. Black cars slowly rolling past you as you walk down the street....was that a coincidence or a hit-squad scoping you out? Vamps were definately my favorite "villain" to use.

The cool thing about using Vamps as an antagonist like that is that the Vamp doesn't throw down. Nothing is more satisfying than giving a handful of hairy death machines NO TARGET and telling them to deal with it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Thanks for keeping on top of all the news KT.

Of the new info I didn't see anything I didn't like. It seems like this might be the 1st mmo to try and do something different/not WoW like. Will it work or fail APB style? Only time will tell!

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, SAME BAT TIME, SAME BAT CHANNEL!

Here's a url to a collection of pictures from TGM. http://planet-vampire.com/main/forum/index.php?action=media

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    One thing I felt was noteworthy: Talking about perma-death and attracting "casual players" seems irreconcilable. These two things don't mix, one of them is going to suffer for the inclusion of the other.

Fiaryn on