As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Presidential Address on Iraq (Discussion Phase)

2»

• Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    It was, well, it was. I was left a little empty by it. I'm not saying I expected him to come charging out of the gate, all "there, I finished what you guys fucked up - you're welcome" but it seemed a little shy on the 'mistakes were made,' little heavy on the 'can we just move on now?'

Thirty years from now people will be comparing Obama to Gerald Ford for not attempting to use the office to investigate and punish the actions of his predecessor.

"It could go on and on and on, or someone must write the end to it. I have concluded that only I can do that, and if I can, I must."
    -President Gerald Ford, televised address, 9/8/1974

Thirty years? I'm not sure some people waited thirty days before making that comparison. It was a pipe dream that any president would use the office to attack a predecessor in that way. Shame but true. Folks that went into this administration thinking we were going to get People of the US vs That War Criminal Bush got sorely disappointed.

I wasn't so much looking for that, but it seemed like a very swift sweep to the rear in the speech. I get not bringing up the rationale for going to war in Iraq, but absolutely no mention of the bungles that happened along the way? Come on. I also think he missed a good opportunity to connect it better to the economy - a great deal of money America had (and more that it borrowed) went over there when it should have been used here. There's also very soon going to be the problem of unemployed (and underemployed) vets as the military draws down. We already have a bad job market, you toss a hundred thousand folks who spent most of the last ten years in sand on that pile and...

Also, he's better out from behind the desk. Seems stiff sitting there - let him up and move around the office, go off script and riff a little.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wish we would treat war criminals like the domestic enemies that they are.

Deowulf is right though, that's just a pipe dream.

Drake on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My roommate was flipping between the commentaries on the speech made by both MSNBC and Fox News.

The main complaint I heard from Fox News was the claim that Obama's speech thanked the troops, but didn't exactly specify what he was thanking them for. Which is BS.

During the Fox News commentary, my roommate said "Man, Bill O' Reilly is the most moderate guy on Fox News. That's terrible."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    During the Fox News commentary, my roommate said "Man, Bill O' Reilly is the most moderate guy on Fox News. That's terrible."

Gollum: WELCOME BACK TO OUR FACTS NEWS SHOW WHERE WE TALK POLITICS AND THE THINGS WE HATESES.
    Smeagol: Smeagol doesn't hate anybody.
    Gollum: OH WE DO, WE DO, WE HATESES EVERYBODY.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    NuckerNucker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Gollum: WELCOME BACK TO OUR FACTS NEWS SHOW WHERE WE TALK POLITICS AND THE THINGS WE HATESES.

I think I love you.

If there is a God out there, this will be photoshopped into a Fox News screencap.

I'm with deowolf--the more animated they'll let Obama be, the more effective he'll be with speeches and addresses.

Nucker on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    This is the issue that should be pressed AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN to rev up the base. Obama is cleaning up the GOP's greatest mess, and everyone needs to see that effort. The public and the base need to be reminded of this over and over.

They'll bitch about Afghanistan.

Then the GOP should be reminded that that was their war to win. And that Osama bin Ladin was their criminal to lose. And press that again and again and again. And you won't have to worry about the media not reporting it because The President will be saying it on national television. Let the Jindal's and the Krauthammers respond, and make themselves look foolish just as they did back during the election. Make voters remember why they put this man into office in the first place. I'm sick and tired of not hitting back against these fools with their own abdominal records on just about everything.

As for everyone else pissing and moaning, well:
    Funny_Pictures_7765.jpg

That the best and worst part about Obama, he isn't playing politics 24/7 like the Bush Administration was.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nucker wrote: »

I think I love you.

If there is a God out there, this will be photoshopped into a Fox News screencap.

Actually there's a flash video. Camp Chaos (the guys behind "Napster Bad") did it back in like 2002 or so.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My roommate was flipping between the commentaries on the speech made by both MSNBC and Fox News.

The main complaint I heard from Fox News was the claim that Obama's speech thanked the troops, but didn't exactly specify what he was thanking them for. Which is BS.

Man, poor Shep always gets forgotten.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just finished watching the documentary No End in Sight which mainly focuses on how we fucked up building the government in the first few months after the invasion. It has lots of interviews with people working with ORHA and CPA which were made to rebuild iraq.

After watching that I think we basically fucked ourselves in the first year and there is no way in hell we could "fix it" after that.

So I would recommend everyone watch that documentary. It is on 'instant play' on netflix.

No End in Sight - Trailer

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, if all the troops, money and effort used in Iraq would have been contributed towards Afghanistan instead, would it have significantly affected victory there?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, if all the troops, money and effort used in Iraq would have been contributed towards Afghanistan instead, would it have significantly affected victory there?
    I'm no expert on what's going on there, but I'd bet it would've helped with actually catching Osama and making sure the Taliban didn't pop back up again and make everybody miserable.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    This is the issue that should be pressed AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN to rev up the base. Obama is cleaning up the GOP's greatest mess, and everyone needs to see that effort. The public and the base need to be reminded of this over and over.

i dunno

the right is convinced that he didn't clean it up fast enough or well enough or cheaply enough or didn't have enough of a huge victory

and a lot of the left is pissed that he didn't pull out right away and also bring up bush on like war crime charges

there's a lot of bullshit out there and it seems not a lot of reward for doing his job responsibly

This is how I feel about the whole Obama Presidency so far.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just finished watching the documentary No End in Sight which mainly focuses on how we fucked up building the government in the first few months after the invasion. It has lots of interviews with people working with ORHA and CPA which were made to rebuild iraq.

After watching that I think we basically fucked ourselves in the first year and there is no way in hell we could "fix it" after that.

So I would recommend everyone watch that documentary. It is on 'instant play' on netflix.

No End in Sight - Trailer

I saw this a bit over a year ago, it is indeed quite informative. And yes, Iraq was fucked pretty quickly after the invasion.

Lets not forget, shit in Iraq is not done with, not by a long shot. I can guarantee Iraq will cause problems for the US in the future, be it 1 year or 10 or 20, it will happen.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We could just do a wag the dog thing and stage the invasion or Mars or something to distract people from the middle east

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We could just do a wag the dog thing and stage the invasion or Mars or something to distract people from the middle east

Hooah I'm going to go to mars and punch this guy in the face:
    face_on_mars.jpg
    alternatively this guy:
    kuato_in_total_recall.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I thought that first one was the moon and for the second one, which one?

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No the first one is the famous "face" on mars and the second is a character from Total Recall (which takes place on mars). Obscure references For The Lose.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No i mean he has two faces, which one do we punch

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Obviously we punch the baby face. When in doubt punch babies.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No the first one is the famous "face" on mars and the second is a character from Total Recall (which takes place on mars). Obscure references For The Lose.

Since when is the face on Mars an "obscure" reference?

It's only in, like, every child's science book ever.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of not hitting back against these fools with their own abdominal records on just about everything.

Yeah. Their record is pretty shitty.

Oh hush, I right clicked a typo and that's what I got, can you offer a REAL response to my post now?

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Obviously we punch the baby face. When in doubt punch babies.

Alternately, we could punch this baby
    lexi-baby-tumor.jpg

sanstodo on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of not hitting back against these fools with their own abdominal records on just about everything.

Yeah. Their record is pretty shitty.

Oh hush, I right clicked a typo and that's what I got, can you offer a REAL response to my post now?

Sorry. I guess I was feeling goosey that day.

I'm on the same page as you with this. It's really disturbing that when the right starts to lose ground, they bring in the fringe crazies and enter this Patrio-Religious lockstep into bizzaro-world where War is Peace and Peace is Freedom and Freedom Never Quits. And instead of getting together and driving this sophistry out of the country, their opposition just cows before all the symbols of religion and patriotism the right use to prop up all of their crazy.

Drake on