As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go [Back to the Future] with Telltale

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    I like that idea, but just because Marty defends his new Dad doesn't mean he knows anymore about him than when he learned he punched Biff and is now rich.

My favorite example is that the mall at the beginning is called Twin Pines Mall, but when Marty goes back in time he runs over one of Peabody's trees. When he gets back to 1985 at the end of the movie it's called the Lone Pine Mall.

Now, Marty doesn't make any indication of noticing the difference, but he was also attempting to save Doc from the Libyans.

President Rex on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember when the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels first started coming out. I used BTTF as an example of a good additional two chapters shot back to back after the original did surprisingly well, making it into a trilogy. I used....maybe it was the Matrix? As an example of how not to do it.

edit: BTW, PoTC was like a Matrix trilogy instead of a BTTF trilogy.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember when the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels first started coming out. I used BTTF as an example of a good additional two chapters shot back to back after the original did surprisingly well, making it into a trilogy. I used....maybe it was the Matrix? As an example of how not to do it.

I don't know, the PotC sequels were bad, but I wouldn't call them "Matrix bad" :) (to be fair, I've never seen the 3rd Matrix movie because the second was so horrible I still have no desire to)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I don't know, the PotC sequels were bad, but I wouldn't call them "Matrix bad" :) (to be fair, I've never seen the 3rd Matrix movie because the second was so horrible I still have no desire to)

I think he meant the structure. Both Matrix and POTC had a first movie that worked for itself and two others that were connected together. In the BTTF triology all movies were spun closely together.

Also the PoTC sequels weren't so much bad as INCREDIBLY lame. It consisted basically only of "I betray you and you betray me. Did I mention I betray you again?" for 2 long movies.

C2B on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    I like that idea, but just because Marty defends his new Dad doesn't mean he knows anymore about him than when he learned he punched Biff and is now rich.

My favorite example is that the mall at the beginning is called Twin Pines Mall, but when Marty goes back in time he runs over one of Peabody's trees. When he gets back to 1985 at the end of the movie it's called the Lone Pine Mall.

Now, Marty doesn't make any indication of noticing the difference, but he was also attempting to save Doc from the Libyans.

He probably had a bit more on his mind than looking at the mall signs.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

In the history of mankind, the "two sequels back-to-back" has only been sucessful ONCE, with Back to the Future. I wish successful movies would quit trying to franchise out with that crutch.
    I think he meant the structure. Both Matrix and POTC had a first movie that worked for itself and two others that were connected together. In the BTTF triology all movies were spun closely together.

That only worked for BttF because it involved Time Travel (to go back to the first movie) and because the flying DeLorean at the end of the first movie was supposed to be a joke and not intended to be the lead-in to a sequel. There's a few sore spots for the authors in regards to the gap between the first film and the sequels. (Bringing Loraina along to the future is one, and the sudden appearance of the "chicken" character trait in Marty is another.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wasn't the "chicken" trait used pretty significantly in BttF 1? Am I on crack?

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    schmads wrote: »

You are extremly on crack.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    schmads wrote: »

You are extremly on crack.

Well, then I think that's reason enough to immediately buy the BluRay collection when it comes out and watch it!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They added a To Be Continued at the end of the first movie retroactively.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I love this sort of thing, along with the "chicken" character angle. It's like pointing out how there was no Emperor in A New Hope, and that Luke never actually uses his lightsaber.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I love this sort of thing, along with the "chicken" character angle. It's like pointing out how there was no Emperor in A New Hope, and that Luke never actually uses his lightsaber.

I never knew that to be honest. I like the movies but I never so much as to researching them. Great information.

C2B on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Actually, they remove it from some versions. I just watched my DVD trilogy boxset set a few weeks ago and it was gone.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so this is pretty reassuring for people (like me) who were concerned about MJF not doing the voiceovers:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-behind-back-to-the/706591

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    When Marty goes back to 1985 and everything's different and confusing to him, everyone recognizes Marty and acts like it's no big deal that he's there.

So what happened to the Marty from that timeline? Since there obviously was one, since everyone's like "Oh, hey Marty". There was a Marty McFly who grew up in that timeline and has all those memories. So what happened to him?

I know I'm a little late on this, but in the second movie, Doc explicitly says that the time line they end up in, with Rich Biff, will change around Jennifer once they change events. Indicating that people seem to be fixed points in time and space, and traveling in time doesn't create new individuals, it only shields you from losing memories should events be changed.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

No they didn't. I distinctly remember watching it as a kid, years before there was even word of a sequel, seeing that To Be Continued, and getting all excited, and my parents having to explain that it didn't mean there was actually another movie.

Edit: Apparently they added it to the first home VHS release, which explains the inconsistency. I figured you meant they added it later, when sequels had been greenlit.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

No they didn't. I distinctly remember watching it as a kid, years before there was even word of a sequel, seeing that To Be Continued, and getting all excited, and my parents having to explain that it didn't mean there was actually another movie.

Edit: Apparently they added it to the first home VHS release, which explains the inconsistency. I figured you meant they added it later, when sequels had been greenlit.

But the "The Be Continued" was always meant as a joke, right? That's what I had heard, but the only date I can find for the VHS release was 1989.

....I just don't know anymore.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In BttF2 Biff says Marty's supposed to be in boarding school or something (acting surprised that Marty is there). Doc is apparently interred in a mental institution.

And I've always heard that the "to be continued" was added to the VHS release (and probably TV broadcasts) when they knew that sequels were in the works. I think it might be mentioned in the commentary or the on-screen facts for the DVD.

President Rex on
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so this is pretty reassuring for people (like me) who were concerned about MJF not doing the voiceovers:

Holy.

SHIT.

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is as close as you're going to get to the perfect Marty voice without the J. Fox.

edzepp on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well my mind has officially been blown.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Impressive indeed.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Can't watch it from here. What is in the video?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can't watch it from here. What is in the video?

The guy they got to do the Marty voice acting doing the best Michael J Fox impersonation you will ever hear. Only a few lines but with your eyes shut you would swear they are straight from the movie.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cool.. it's a shame they couldn't get MJF though. You'd think he could do voice acting even with his parkinson's.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Good gravy, even Christopher Lloyd couldn't tell the difference. That kid needs some sort of trophy or something. Unreal.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cool.. it's a shame they couldn't get MJF though. You'd think he could do voice acting even with his parkinson's.

He doesn't do much work anymore, or even show up in public all that often, and I've heard on the rare occasions that he does, he's loaded up on so many meds it's crazy. He might not be able to withstand the sessions voice acting would require anymore, and when off meds, he might not be able to get a full straight line out.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010

He doesn't do much work anymore, or even show up in public all that often, and I've heard on the rare occasions that he does, he's loaded up on so many meds it's crazy. He might not be able to withstand the sessions voice acting would require anymore, and when off meds, he might not be able to get a full straight line out.

He was just on the Colbert Report about a month ago to plug his book :P He was actually extremely funny on it too.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    He also just did a promo for the Scream Awards, as well as that EW photoshoot with Lea Thompson.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Surely this will be available on Steam, yes? I see where you can preorder it on the official site, but no mention of Steam yet.

Ceno on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can we talk about Telltale games in general?

I liked the last few episodes in the Monkey Island series and the first few episodes in the third season of Sam & Max, but it felt like the last two episodes of the third season got way too linear and didn't really do anything interesting gameplay-wise to make up for it.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I watched that video and it was great. But god damn, December 2nd? How long can they drag out not showing a damn thing of the game? (outside of one concept art piece)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nobody mentioned that Telltale is giving the first episode for free?

Catshade on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm looking forward to it, I've yet to play a game from Telltale that I didn't like, and pre-ordering would gnab me Puzzle Agent. Apparently my coupon code from some ToMI merch is going off on the pre-order too, because it's only popping up as $20 in my cart. I certainly can't complain, but I'm still hesitant to pre-order before seeing some actual footage.

On the other hand, I trust Telltale, and they know better than to fuck up this one.

EDIT: Aw hell, pre-ordered.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Holy.

SHIT.

This kid knocks it out of the park. Perfect Marty voice.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Went ahead and pre-ordered it.. figured why wait? :P Too bad I already had Puzzle Agent, oh well. At least I can gift it.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Catshade wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned that Telltale is giving the first episode for free?

wow, that's fantastic. yes, please.

tetsuoZshima on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm unhappy that this is coming out for literally nothing I own.

Well, not entirely true: I have a PC, but it can barely manage YouTube, never mind a video game. I'm not a huge fan of gaming on my PC in the first place (I spend enough time on here as it is), but I'd do it for BttF.

And it's not like I'm lacking in other gaming machines this generation, either.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I heard that they couldn't make it fit for WiiWare. I'm holding out that they might do a compilation once all the episodes are out and put that on the Wii.

Incidentally, watched the trilogy on Blu-Ray (I bought and watched BTTF 1 on October 26th), and it's pretty rockin'. The new supplemental pieces are cool. It was a little saddening though to see MJF squirming around in the interviews because of Parkinson's.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Considering that the last game they did (Sam & Max Season 3) ended up on the PS3 rather than the Wii, I have a feeling that the newer rendition of the engine just is a bit too much for it.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr