Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's go [Back to the Future] with Telltale

C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Horrible OP for first thread ever. I'm so proud. :o

bttfgame0831xlargejpg.jpg

It's about time, McFly. A video game based on the Back to the Future movies is in the works.

Being developed by Telltale Games, the Back to the Future game series will include the likenesses of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, who portrayed the characters Marty McFly and Doc Brown in the films, which listed Steven Spielberg among the executive producers. (Lloyd will also provide his voice for the games.)

Bob Gale, who wrote the screenplays for the three films, is working with the game developers on the plot for the planned five "episodes". Telltale's recent releases include a series of Sam & Max games available for download on Xbox Live, the PlayStation Network and for computers at http://www.telltalegames.com.

As for the storyline, Telltale would confirm that the games would include an appearance of the DeLorean time machine and, the fictional California setting of Hill Valley. The time periods covered will include 1985 and additional characters from the movies will crop up in the game.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/08/telltale-games-times-back-to-the-future-project/1?csp=34

Telltale?
Llyod as VA?
An awesome Back to the Future Adventure Game?

Great Scott!

C2B on

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wonder how they'll have the Delorean in the game. The movies don't really leave any kind of gap where it could take place between them or anything.

Also wonder if they'll make reference to how close we are to 2015 and how many Jaws sequels need to come out in the next few years.

ae26.jpg
  • GilderGilder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If this does not have Marty dodging clocks or people moving back and forth with glass panes I am going to be furious.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    If this does not have Marty dodging clocks or people moving back and forth with glass panes I am going to be furious.

That's going to be in the hoverboard minigame.:P

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is it a retelling of the movies or something original?
    And if it's original, will it follow the cartoon (which took place after the movies)?

newSig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    So is it a retelling of the movies or something original?
    And if it's original, will it follow the cartoon (which took place after the movies)?

It's an original story and we don't know as of yet if it includes charachters from the cartoon.

Edit: Nope. They pretty much ignore the cartoon and focuse on movie established cannon.

edited September 2010
    Well, to be honest, I don't remember if there were any other characters. I mean, Doc and the teachers' kids were older (early grade school) and Einie had a glove so he could actually use items.

newSig.jpg
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User
    edited September 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this. I actually only just started playing episode 1 of The Devil's Playhouse last night, and wow, the production values at Telltale increased on that one. Can't wait to see how this game turns out.

I'm hoping that they also get Tom Wilson.

Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited September 2010
    Shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think he's working much and he loved playing all the incarnations of Biff (according to an old interview I read a couple of years ago). Heck I think in the cartoon he play all the Tannen ancestors as well.

newSig.jpg
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Biff Answers Questions

He seems like a cool guy.

Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He made Wing Commander 3 awesome(r).

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
    edited September 2010
    I really liked him in WC4 as well, and yeah he's an awesome dude. That interview I mentioned? It also had his list of works along with some choice tidbits that he remembered. He was in a lot of movies but a lot of them had either a * or + next to them. * meant "I don't remember a whole lot about this project" and + meant "I just did it for the paycheck."

newSig.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tom Wilson is great, and it'd be wonderful if they got him for this

The only non-BttF related thing I've seen him in was Freaks and Geeks, in which he played a gym teacher that thought Rocky II was the greatest film ever made because of how in shape Carl Weathers was.

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • Automatic JackAutomatic Jack Registered User
    edited September 2010
    That illustration is getting me all hot and bothered. Love those character designs.

PAsig.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User
    edited September 2010
    That illustration is getting me all hot and bothered. Love those character designs.

Agreed. It makes me sad the game itself will almost certainly be in 3D instead of gorgeous hand-drawn 2D animation in that style.

Signature not found.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Son of a bitch, Tom Wilson is Matt Bluestone in Gargoyles.

mosesupposes.gif
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't wait for the driving part of the game where you have to dodge [strike]terrorists[/strike] vaguely Middle Eastern men shooting RPGs at you...

steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "It's your kids Mary, something has to be done about your kids!"

I'm excited, even though I never get far in these telltale games. The 80s are ripe for parody.

steam_sig.png
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    He made Wing Commander 3 awesome(r).

Whatever you say, plebe.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHBVqOWT9Z4

Guess I know what that refers to now. :P

Wow, Maniac's a jerk in WCP.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is this just PC? All three consoles? iPhone? Toaster?

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Businessman!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently Tom Wilson is a nice guy who based Biff on bullies who attacked him as a kid. He never gets tired of fans asking him to call them a butthead, though.

Anyway, I guess they could just make a game as a straight retelling of the movies. BTTF3 is basically a large point and click game with needless contrivances like a broken car.

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    USE WAKE-UP JUICE WITH DOC BROWN

mosesupposes.gif
    edited September 2010
    If you don't give Doc Brown the bulletproof vest in the first part of the game it goes into an unwinnable state.

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    edited September 2010
    Man, fuck Sierra and that shit. That's why I loved Lucasarts more.

mosesupposes.gif
  • GilderGilder Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Marty reaches toward the door of the DeLorean. He can feel a chill coming from the body of the car. Marty touches the DeLorean, and instantly regrets his decision. He tries to pull his arm back, but it's too late for that now. A flash of cold comes over Marty as he is frozen solid.

Well Marty, Doc always thought the time machine could use a hood ornament.

Restore Restart Quit

edited September 2010
    How were the C64 Back to the Future games back in the day, by the way? I heard they were pretty good.

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User
    edited September 2010
    It would be awesome if a whole game was made with that 2d artwork.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, it's supposed to be point-and-click, and it looks like the scenario will be original, rather than a retelling of the movies.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif
    edited September 2010
    Makes me think of Day of the Tentacle, and that's nothing but awesome.

fiV9i14.jpg
    edited September 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »

Well, it's gonna be done in 3D with TellTale's engine but it's still the concept art. So, it will be similiar.

edited September 2010
    Oh, maybe the games will shed light on how Marty and Doc Brown know each other. It's always been a source of confusion and fodder for pedophile enthusiasts.

steam_sig.png

edited September 2010
    If I knew a scientist that made such an awesome dog-food dispenser, I'd be friends with him too

XbJml1e.jpg?1
    edited September 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Well, it's gonna be done in 3D with TellTale's engine but it's still the concept art. So, it will be similiar.

Well, not really. Look at the 2D artwork in Tales of Monkey Island - looks way more awesome than the 3d game engine.

edited September 2010

Well, not really. Look at the 2D artwork in Tales of Monkey Island - looks way more awesome than the 3d game engine.

I said similiar. Not what it is in the end. It's concept art.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, maybe the games will shed light on how Marty and Doc Brown know each other. It's always been a source of confusion and fodder for pedophile enthusiasts.

Marty knows Doc Brown because he met him in 1985 :) (insert time travel paradox)

Nintendo Network ID: Warlock
    3DS Friend Code: 4983-4927-6699
    Steam ID: warlock82

WarlockSoL.jpg
    edited September 2010

Yes. I said "It would be awesome if a whole game was made with that 2d artwork." As in, if they made a game with 2D art. Not make it into 3d. Do you understand what that means?

Saying "It will be similar!" adds nothing and has nothing to do with what I said.

edited September 2010

Yes. I said "It would be awesome if a whole game was made with that 2d artwork." As in, if they made a game with 2D art. Not make it into 3d. Do you understand what that means?

Saying "It will be similar!" adds nothing and has nothing to do with what I said.

Please look at the bolded part then at my statement. See, where the problem is?

Also you don't really seem to grasp the idea of concept art. Anyway, yes 2D would be cool but it comes in the end down to personal taste.

edited September 2010

Please look at the bolded part then at my statement. See, where the problem is?

Also you don't really seem to grasp the idea of concept art. Anyway, yes 2D would be cool but it comes in the end down to personal taste.

I see the concept art. I like the concept art. I would like a game based around 2D concept art (that is actually 2D). You see, I know that 3d graphics made from concept art looks very different, because this is always the case. So saying "It will be similar to that concept art except in 3D!" as a response to my quoted post, is completely irrelevant.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interesting choice of IP for their next game. I look forward to this.

Which reminds me, I still need to beat ep. 5 of tales of monkey island.

Also, a bit off topic, but still relevant:

Edit: Also, they're apparently going to do Jurassic Park as well. But that's not nearly as cool at BttF. Unless it was a cross-over.

Hmm...

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | Wii U: zython
    Steam: pazython
    Lv 90 Tauren Shaman Lv 90 Pandaren Monk
    edited September 2010
    Marty! You gotta go back and save this thread! Biff is going to get your son into an argument about concept art of a game that barely exists yet!

steam_sig.png