As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a boot manager?

IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
I'm looking for for a boot manager to boot multiple operating systems (XP, Win7, Ubuntu). Does anyone have recommendations or feedback for a specific program?

A Google search turns up several boot managers (such as GAG and Plop) which purport to do what I want: auto-hide inactive OS partitions on each boot, thereby avoiding how many OS's don't play nice together.

What doesn't turn up is much in the way of reviews or discussion on boot managers. The thought of having to fix a trashed boot sequence makes me ill, so I thought it would be best to ask around first.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
IceBurner on

• Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I'm looking for for a boot manager to boot multiple operating systems (XP, Win7, Ubuntu). Does anyone have recommendations or feedback for a specific program?

A Google search turns up several boot managers (such as GAG and Plop) which purport to do what I want: auto-hide inactive OS partitions on each boot, thereby avoiding how many OS's don't play nice together.

What doesn't turn up is much in the way of reviews or discussion on boot managers. The thought of having to fix a trashed boot sequence makes me ill, so I thought it would be best to ask around first.

Since you're using Ubuntu just stick with GRUB. That is the reason why you don't see so much discussion on boot managers, because the default Linux ones do the job just fine these days, even when you start getting really creative/advanced.

Other than that I've used the Ultimate Boot CD a few times with no problems (as an actual boot manager).

nessin on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was going to say GRUB as well, but I've been beated.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know if you're having problems installing either, but I believe the order you should install those OSes in should be: Win7/Vista, XP, Linux. After you install XP, you probably won't be able to boot into 7 until you install Linux.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think typically with Windows OSes as long as you install them in order from older to newer, it'll be fine. Of course since he's probably going to go with GRUB instead of the Windows boot loader it doesn't really matter.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, for some stupid reason my Ubuntu Live disc keeps erroring out of install at an early stage, as though it seems to have issues with my hardware :/

Is there any way I can embed GRUB by itself?

Circumstances dictate a less than optimal situation, overall. I've had an XP install for a while and plan to migrate from it to Win7 over time. XP was installed first and I don't plan to reinstall it just for this. I had planned ahead though and left plenty of room after the 80 gig XP partition for more OS's.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not entirely sure if this would help but when I've had some boot issues using Windows and Ubuntu EasyBCD helped me a lot.

MarvellousM on