Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Cutting Hairs the Electric Way

MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the market for a set of electric hair clippers, primarily for use on my head in the apartment I'm moving in to shortly. I will potentially be moving around every 3 months or so and don't want to bother finding local places everywhere I go- besides, for the past year or so I've just been paying people to use clippers on me anyway, and that money can go other more important places.

questions:

Brands I know of:
Wahl, remington, conair, etc. - consumer-level sets that are mostly identical but vary in terms of accessories and such. Quality inconsistent, lifespan inconsistent.
Oster- professional-quality, very noisy, long lifespan, no accessories.

If I plan on doing my own hair, say once every two weeks, in my single-bedroom apartment, using only a #3 guide, what is the best fit? I'm looking to keep initial expenses down- I don't know for sure if this is something I'll be doing for years, and I already have to make several purchases that are large-cost-years-of-benefit, this being my first apartment (appliances and such). Anyone have experience / recommendations?

also, I've only ever known the guide I prefer as a #3, but different brands seem to have different systems- what is a 33 in inches or in whatever other systems there might be?

Molybdenum on

Posts

  • TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cannot really answer your questions, but if you are going for a cheaper device, also check out phillips. I bought one of those 8 in one cutters for 30 bucks and one thing that I thought was nice over remington and conair (at least the options I had up here) was that you did not need to oil it. Water was enough for lubrication and for cleaning.

    Not sure if that makes the device itself inferior, but sure makes maintenance a lot easier.

    It has been pretty easy to manage so far, but I do need to either setup a better mirror in the bathroom and learn to bend my arm more...

    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. "
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    interesting points.

    I'm not terribly concerned about doing things myself, since both of my shoulders are hypermobile.

  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • ZeonZeon Registered User
    edited September 2010
    I had a remington that i paid like 80 bucks for, and the stupid plastic guard locks broke off. So now its not so much an adjustable shaver, as it is just a shaver.

    So id probably stay away from remington even though they used to be quite good.

    Conair makes pretty good womens stuff, id imagine theyd make pretty good tools for getting rid of hair.

    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I bought a Wahl a year or so ago to cut my husbands hair and it works just fine. The only thing I would say is it's a bit on the heavy side. I think of it as a plus since it's sturdy, but if you're doing it yourself it may cause an ache.

    Also, the guards aren't attached, so if one breaks you just need a new plastic guard, not a whole new razor.

    steam_sig.png
    3DS 1461-7082-5181
  • FatsFats Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've had a $30 corded Wahl for a couple years, it's been perfectly serviceable but when it finally dies I'll probably spring for an Oster. I think something like the Wahl would probably fill your needs for now.

  • SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »

    Are you fucking serious this thing exists!?

    For the past two weeks I have been thinking about this in my head, and how awesome it would be and why hadn't someone invented it yet.

    Except a Google search seems to make it out to be one of those crappy early morning TV gadgets that never work..?

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Seguer wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

    Are you fucking serious this thing exists!?

    For the past two weeks I have been thinking about this in my head, and how awesome it would be and why hadn't someone invented it yet.

    Except a Google search seems to make it out to be one of those crappy early morning TV gadgets that never work..?

    My dad has one of these.

    It's a bad idea.

  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a Wahl kit that I got at Target for about $30. I'd get something cheap first, just to see if it's actually something you'll keep up. After 2-3 haircuts the $30 set will have paid for itself, so there's no loss if you don't end up using it much.

  • SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Seguer wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

    Are you fucking serious this thing exists!?

    For the past two weeks I have been thinking about this in my head, and how awesome it would be and why hadn't someone invented it yet.

    Except a Google search seems to make it out to be one of those crappy early morning TV gadgets that never work..?

    My dad has one of these.

    It's a bad idea.

    What makes it a bad idea? I must know! In my head, it is the perfect solution...

  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I have a Wahl kit that I got at Target for about $30. I'd get something cheap first, just to see if it's actually something you'll keep up. After 2-3 haircuts the $30 set will have paid for itself, so there's no loss if you don't end up using it much.

    This is what I've been using for about 5 years now and it's still going strong. I had to get some replacement blades after about 3 but they're something like $15 for two, it's not a biggie.

  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use the cheapest Conair I can find ($15 at a grocery/drug store) and shave every 3 days or so, no guard. I think it comes with a lifetime blade warranty (mail it in and they'll sharpen it and send it back), though I've never taken advantage of it.

    I buy one every 2 years or so cause I've usually broken it by then. I don't take very good care of them and I'd bet they'd last a lot longer if my cleaning procedure didn't include banging it against the sink to release most of the trimmings; this behavior eventually results in the housing cracking.

    A 3 is likely 3/8ths of an inch, or possibly 1/2", as the low number guards on mine seem to be at 1/8th inch intervals.

  • WildSpoonWildSpoon Registered User
    edited September 2010
    i cant remember the brand off hand as i bought it years ago, but i know i got something around the 80-100 dollar range (Canadian). Its on the heavy side but sturdy and never fails, so you get what you pay for in that respect, as ive had 30 dollar ones die on me quickly. Wear and tear add up quickly when your using it every 2 weeks. I use a number 1 on my head and do my own thing every 2 or 3 weeks (4 when im lazy) and its great. Some quick advice is buy an extra oversize "hand mirror" from a drug store or whatever, usually near the grooming / makeup sections. That way you can do the two mirror thing to look at the back of your head when your doing the neck line / spot checking for things you missed.

    Another tip for making clean up a non issue is take a garbage bag, use scissors to slice half way down two slits from the opening toward the bottom, then put it in the sink and flap the rest of the bag out around the counter / whatever. That way most if not all the hair will fall into it, instead of all over the place, shaved hairs are a pain in the ass to clean up.

    "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    Rich Cook.

    PSN ID - WildSpoon
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Seguer wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Seguer wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

    Are you fucking serious this thing exists!?

    For the past two weeks I have been thinking about this in my head, and how awesome it would be and why hadn't someone invented it yet.

    Except a Google search seems to make it out to be one of those crappy early morning TV gadgets that never work..?

    My dad has one of these.

    It's a bad idea.

    What makes it a bad idea? I must know! In my head, it is the perfect solution...

    I mean, it's a vaccum cleaner with a spinning blade in it. That you affix to your head and hope. Everytime he's used it, on anyone, the results have been awful.

  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    I have a Wahl kit that I got at Target for about $30. I'd get something cheap first, just to see if it's actually something you'll keep up. After 2-3 haircuts the $30 set will have paid for itself, so there's no loss if you don't end up using it much.

    This is what I've been using for about 5 years now and it's still going strong. I had to get some replacement blades after about 3 but they're something like $15 for two, it's not a biggie.

    another vote for the Wahl kit from Target. Haven't done the blade sharpening yet, but think I need to. Been using it for at least 2-3 years now.

    and I will defend the Flowbee a bit. You can't say the results are always awful. That is like saying all haircuts with the electric trimmers are awful. It all depends on who is giving the haircut. I've had many Flowbee cuts over the years and it does a serviceable job. The blades on those could be improved though. Cost wise though the $30 Wahl is a much better option than going Flowbee. It really isn't that hard to cut your hair and make a mess and then take 5 minutes with a shop vac when finished.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • TheFullMetalChickenTheFullMetalChicken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The peanut

    I've gone through 2-3 different kinds got feed up with all of them either breaking or not doing the best job so I asked a few barbers they said just buy that and since they all had one on the counter I got one. Not so cheap but great.

  • MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    also, I've only ever known the guide I prefer as a #3, but different brands seem to have different systems- what is a 33 in inches or in whatever other systems there might be?

    #3 is 3/8 inch.

    I've been perfectly happy with my Wahl (Model CNT-M). I've had it for about five years now and it's still going strong. Whatever clippers you end up getting though, be sure to oil the blades after every use. Doing so will both protect the sharpness of the blades and prolong the life of the motor.

    midshipman.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.