As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who's Going To Pax East 2011??? And Opinions On The BCEC/Hotel

jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in PAX Archive
Hi Guys!

I know Prime is this weekend and everyone is excited about that, but what does that mean? It means that it's only 6 1/2 months till us east coasters get our dose of Pax with Pax East!

I wanted to get a thread going just to see who is going and I was hoping that some fellow Bostonites (Bostoners?? who knows, hehe, i'm from Bellingham but that's close enough to Boston for me) could offer their opinions on the BCEC and the adjoining hotel (the Weston is it?)

Pax East 2010 was my first Pax, and it totally blew my mind. It was the first time I truelly felt at home, and trust me, at the time, I really needed that. It's also the only date of the year that I place above my anniversary (my husband oftern protests, but he gets over it).

So, east coasters, lets start talking PAX EAST 2011!!!!!!!

jdixon1972 on

• benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope to be there, last year I bought my tickets around this time for EAST and had the countdown clock going at my house for 6 months, plan to do the same, and probably BYOC again!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • FreemannFreemann Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm so there last years was AWESOME!!!

Freemann on
  • rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The BCEC is bigger, so it's got that going for it. It's not in the middle of Boston like last year. It's at the harbor so there is less to do and you have to take the train to get to other parts of Boston. Last year you could walk to most things. I've never stayed at the Hotel attached to it but i've been to the BCEC it is really nice. Their site has PAX East scheduled for 3/11/2011 - 3/13/2011. I'm sure we will find out this weekend if that is right.

rentfn on
  • DarthbeerDarthbeer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PAX East was my first PAX as well. Seeing most the people I follow on twitter talking about how excited they are for prime makes me have a sad that I'm not there. But that means where just that much closer to East, cant wait!

Darthbeer on
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm also local to Mass (just outside of Worcester) so I plan on being there again. Woo hoo!

Trion on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to hit East as well, but it depends at least in part on finances and available vacation time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • natetodamaxnatetodamax Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I plan on going, and it will be my first PAX. Very excited!

natetodamax on
  • VillanVillan Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I should be there, I was at the last one and am now at PAX Prime! Awesome stuff!

Villan on
  • WackBagWackBag Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Connecticut here, last year was my first PAX, and soooo looking forward to 2011, keep looking at the PAX east page waiting to see the countdown timer change. I guess the guys are a little busy this weekend. Looking to BYOC again...

WackBag on
    Pax East 2014 checklist:
    3 Day Pass [X] - BYOC [X] - Accomodations [X] - Travel [ X ] - Time Off [ X ]
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be there and I plan on being at the hotel attached to the convention center. At PAX East 2010 I stayed at the Holiday Inn Brookline and missed the end of the concerts because the trains stopped running at midnight.

I will be denied my concerts NO LONGER!

God I can't wait for PAX East 2011...I'm sad I'm not at Prime :cry:

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be there and I plan on being at the hotel attached to the convention center. At PAX East 2010 I stayed at the Holiday Inn Brookline and missed the end of the concerts because the trains stopped running at midnight.

I too was not staying in walking distance from the HYNES but took a cab to cambridge after the concerts. it was only 10 bucks and with three of us sharing the cab it was pretty cheap. This year I think we have to stay near cause alternive hotels is only the airport.

yanksrul5 on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be there or bust. I had way too much fun this past March to not go back.

Goose! on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm going with the roommate. It'll be our first PAX, but we've been to plenty of other cons in the past.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SpeedNutSpeedNut Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm there all three days this time, last time I only had a Saturday pass, and went with the Mrs. It also cost me a trip to Italy for a week in the summer. What can I say, she supports my interests, so I gotta support hers ;-)

SpeedNut on
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SpeedNut wrote: »
    I'm there all three days this time, last time I only had a Saturday pass, and went with the Mrs. It also cost me a trip to Italy for a week in the summer. What can I say, she supports my interests, so I gotta support hers ;-)

So you got to go to PAX and Italy?

I hate you with jealousy.

Trion on
  • shadowhaxorshadowhaxor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was so gung-ho on getting to PAX east 2010 and then my house decided it wanted repairs more than I wanted to go ;(.

Leason learned, putting $50 up every pay check for PAX east 2011. I will be there or bust. (Hopefully not bust).

shadowhaxor on
    c2e0b3ede0e50567dda8a3249038f379.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was so gung-ho on getting to PAX east 2010 and then my house decided it wanted repairs more than I wanted to go ;(.

Leason learned, putting $50 up every pay check for PAX east 2011. I will be there or bust. (Hopefully not bust).

Not a bad idea. There was a lot of stuff I wanted to buy this past March.

Halfazedninja on

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be there. Hopefully I can go all three days this time.

It's not taking place at the Hynes Convention Center this time? Oh, that means I need to figure out how to get to the waterfront... Been living in this town for years and still don't quite know how to get around...

XX55XX on
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    XX55XX wrote: »
    I'll be there. Hopefully I can go all three days this time.

It's not taking place at the Hynes Convention Center this time? Oh, that means I need to figure out how to get to the waterfront... Been living in this town for years and still don't quite know how to get around...

I've been living north of Boston for 9 years and I've only been into Boston once alone, when I was trying to find 95 north and accidentally went through Cambridge, Boston, and I believe Brookline

I'll definitely be at PAX East next year. I had a great time in March

Rayze on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm really hoping that I can go to PAX East 2011. I'm gonna be saving up as much money as I can between now and March, though I think that I may be moving in the next few months.

That said, I really want to make a set of PAX East and PAX Prime themed cards for then as well.

feitocomfruta on
  • SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do you already have your rooms? I just went to the Westin website to check out their rates, and avaialbility that weekend seems very scarce.... no rooms with 2 doubles left, and $340-440+ / night for reamining rooms.

And on top of that there are no other hotels less than 1/2 hour walking distance! EEeeeeeekkkk.... this new location seems horrible :/ Last year was a blast but theres no way I am spending $340+ / night for 3 nights on a hotel room

I am thinking more and more it would have made more sense to move to New York than down to Boston harbour. No night life, no hotels...

SpiderSimian on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Expect me to be comming - and all three days this time, not just one. I will be buying my ticket in a timely fashion, unlike last time.

The Witch will rise again!

RainbowTunnel on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to go to PAX East this time around, went to Prime last year but couldn't this time.

Arminas on
  • realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So while I may or may not make it to PAX East this year (stupid grad school) I figured I'd offer up a token of "where to stay" advice here. There are a few hotels right near the BCEC but if you want to stay a bit closer to interesting stuff and still be able to easily get to the convention center check out hotels near South Station. While some of them are the priciest hotels in the city (InterContinental) the way you get to the BCEC on the public transit system is to take the Silver Line from South Station.

The other public transportation piece of advice I can offer is that staying on the Red Line (say Cambridge near Kenmore, Central or Harvard squares) will be better than staying on the Green Line (Hynes, or Brookline) because you'll only have to switch trains one time.

(Don't stay at the airport, not that anyone would want to.)

(If I don't make it this year I promise to be extremely sad about it. Heck I'm constantly checking the PAX news for Prime which there was no way I was getting to.)

realisticradical on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do you already have your rooms? I just went to the Westin website to check out their rates, and avaialbility that weekend seems very scarce.... no rooms with 2 doubles left, and $340-440+ / night for reamining rooms.

And on top of that there are no other hotels less than 1/2 hour walking distance! EEeeeeeekkkk.... this new location seems horrible :/ Last year was a blast but theres no way I am spending $340+ / night for 3 nights on a hotel room

I am thinking more and more it would have made more sense to move to New York than down to Boston harbour. No night life, no hotels...

I'd wait a little bit before booking your rooms. The $350/night pricing on the Westin is due in full at the time of booking and is non-refundable. The $450-500 is a non-prepay rate. I assume that the double rooms have been blocked off by the PAX Travel Desk as those will be in the highest demand (as opposed to King rooms).

However, remember that we don't have the pricing from the PAX Travel Desk yet either. We should see that rate go down a bit though and maybe the terms changed.

As an alternative though, there is the Renaissance Boston Waterfront hotel 2-3 blocks Northeast of the convention center. It's a nice Marriott hotel and looks like a pretty good option. The rates right now are $209-239/night, but those may go down as well. They also have a breakfast included rate for around the same price. These rates are also fully refundable and not due at the time of booking, which may be a great option for people who are uncertain that they will be able to attend.

It's really hard right now for me not to just go book my hotel room, but I'm trying to have patience to see what the Travel Desk will offer this year.

PS, I'm totally excited for another PAX :mrgreen:

MTSonic11 on
  • hardreturnhardreturn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can't wait for details - so jealous this weekend.

hardreturn on
  • cralorcralor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Hi Guys!

I know Prime is this weekend and everyone is excited about that, but what does that mean? It means that it's only 6 1/2 months till us east coasters get our dose of Pax with Pax East!

I wanted to get a thread going just to see who is going and I was hoping that some fellow Bostonites (Bostoners?? who knows, hehe, i'm from Bellingham but that's close enough to Boston for me) could offer their opinions on the BCEC and the adjoining hotel (the Weston is it?)

Pax East 2010 was my first Pax, and it totally blew my mind. It was the first time I truelly felt at home, and trust me, at the time, I really needed that. It's also the only date of the year that I place above my anniversary (my husband oftern protests, but he gets over it).

So, east coasters, lets start talking PAX EAST 2011!!!!!!!

Hey, Franklin here ;)

I am extremely excited for PAX. It was my first PAX last year, and I will def. be getting a 3-Day pass this go around.

I can't wait!!

cralor on
    edited September 2010
    No I haven't booked yet. Waiting for the PAX travel desk to come up :)

Halfazedninja on

• smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am so in for East...

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Went to the first PAX East, and swore a pact that we'd return for every single one until we're worm-food. I'm also waiting for the travel desk to put stuff up, I've looked at the hotels and without the mass discounts that the desk offers it's nigh-unaffordable per night. Expect to see a horde of vikings this year.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • ShadowWolf9ShadowWolf9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I went to PAX East 2010, but was staying with a friend at Boston College. the new convention center is way too far to permit that now so I need a hotel.

Anyone know when the specific PAX East 2011 dates will be set in stone? I'd love to book in the hotel that's joined to the center. If not, I'm looking as nearby and cheap as I can get. Hated having to leave early to catch the last train.

ShadowWolf9 on
  • ElSantosElSantos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will be at PAX East 2011, guaranteed. PAX East 2010 was my first PAX, and I must go again; I really don't have an option.

Anyhoo, since I wasn't able to go to Prime this weekend, in my infinite sadness, I kept myself busy by perusing the BCEC hotels. I'm definitely favoring the Renaissance (Marriott), since the Seaport (starts at $269) and the Westin (starts at $296) are way more expensive. I get the feeling the Renaissance is gonna book up with a quickness though, since a 5 person room is only $209 a night, and it's in walking distance.

Other than those three hotels, you're left with the downtown area, which has a bunch more hotels, but is a small hike. The walk from the Hilton to the BCEC is about 1 mile, but I'm sure you could hop on the bus at South Station for a few blocks too.

Buuuut yeah, yay PAX East in a bigger venue, and yay for the Renaissance, maybe! :P

Edit: BCEC's website lists PAX East as March 11-13. But I won't be taking that as a sure-thing, the last time I looked, it was listed as April 1-3.

ElSantos on
  • GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is my second year at pax. went last year and this years was amazing! I really hope to go to pax east with my friends from MD.

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RE: Boston vs New York, what you need to remember is that while Boston may seem expensive, it is much more affordable than New York by a HUGE margin. Just compare the property values of the two cities, and you'll see that Boston is much much more accessible. Sure walking to and from your hotel and PAX will be a beast, but A) a little exercise never hurt anyone, and B) you're at PAX East, so you will have tons of geeky walking partners.

feitocomfruta on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be at East. Oh heck yes I will. I'll also be applying to be an enforcer, since I'd like to give something back to the community as soon as possible after having had such an amazing time at Prime.

MelesMeles on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RE: Boston vs New York, what you need to remember is that while Boston may seem expensive, it is much more affordable than New York by a HUGE margin. Just compare the property values of the two cities, and you'll see that Boston is much much more accessible. Sure walking to and from your hotel and PAX will be a beast, but A) a little exercise never hurt anyone, and B) you're at PAX East, so you will have tons of geeky walking partners.

This is 100% true. You will pay more for everything in NYC than you will in Boston.

Also, keep in mind that this year, the BCEC is about 1.5 miles from BOS, literally across the harbor. It should even be easier for everyone to get to/from PAX and the airport this year.

I have never had a good experience flying into or out of JFK/LGA/EWR airports in the NYC area. Getting to say, the Javits Center can be a nightmare (and possibly expensive) regardless of which NYC area airport you fly into.

MTSonic11 on
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Going to East 2011, definitely. I was omegathon runner-up but I still have gotten no official word if I will be invited back to compete. Regardless, it's hurt me this last weekend being detached from PAX. I don't know if I could survive missing another one.

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PAX East once again falls on my birthday - couldn't ask for a better party :lol: I'll be there!

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PAX East once again falls on my birthday - couldn't ask for a better party :lol: I'll be there!

PAX East 2010 was held on March 26-28 and in 2011 it'll supposedly be held March 11-13

?

Rayze on
  • burnsbothendsburnsbothends Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be going! I'm waiting for the PAX Travel Desk to get a hotel. Last year I stayed with a friend at BU, this year I'll be bringing a gaggle of friends to share a hotel room with. I am very excited. When will they be announcing the official dates and whatnot? All the PAX Prime tweets have made me jealous.

burnsbothends on
    PAX=Home
This discussion has been closed.