Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

17071737576101

Posts

  • SpacklerSpackler Registered User
    edited December 2011
    Spackler wrote:
    So, we are expecting in April, and my wife has back problems. This means we are looking into getting a taller vehicle to make it easier to move a carseat/squirming child in and out. We've looked at a bunch of different vehicles, and have a favorite...
    Spoiler:

    Specifically, the 2L turbo model. Is it just stupid to get one of these from a reliability standpoint though? It's easily the most expensive car either of us have seriously considered, and we keep coming back to the reputation.

    My parents got a Ford Escape about a year ago, that they really like. The few times I've driven it it was nice. Even with the 4-banger it didn't feel sluggish, and the center console control thing Ford is really nice.
    We'll have to check it out - Ford is one of the few makes we haven't visited yet. Right now it's between a RAV4 and XC60... which is kind of a weird pair to pick from.

    I could see 8 speed if it was a DSG but not a regular slushbox. My 5 speed auto already spends too much time shifting.
    Seconded
    anyone in the thread gonna get one of these?

    tesla-model-s-rear-side-502.jpg
    How much do those run again?

    Spackler on
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Slider wrote:
    No, but I'll be buying one of these some day:


    1-carbon-fiber-lotus-elise.jpg

    Dreaming is the best part. When you have to take it in and get the entire throttle body replaced when just the throttle body sensor is bad because Lotus are goofs you kinda wake up pretty quick. Not that that happened to me.

    Or when you need to buy tires that are 350 per. Mine last about a year to a year and half, but then I drive it like I stole it. =D

    It does make a nice noise though. I'm just kinda depressed because my CEL is on. =/

    Tejs on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Wait, shes a real racing driver and that was the loudest, least practical thing she's ever driven? What did she race?

    She's not an active racing driver but she done a fair bit of single seat racing when she was younger and more recently sport car racing. She's one of the hosts on Fifth Gear which is another British car show that's far more serious that Top Gear. She used to be a host on an older version of Top Gear before it was cancelled to be reborn to what it is today.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Butler-Henderson
    http://www.butler-henderson.com/

    Yeah, I knew she was a host on 5th Gear (even though I've never actually seen it) but I just don't know how you can go from any sort of racing to claiming that a stripped out W12 Golf is the least practical thing she's ever driven. I mean, sure the W12 Golf is certainly impractical, but more impractical than a race car? I think not.

    camo_sig2.png
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    anyone in the thread gonna get one of these?

    tesla-model-s-rear-side-502.jpg

    I'm curious to see how well these would perform in the winters up here. So far I haven't seen any exclusively battery-powered vehicles offered. The Nissan Leaf is taking sign-ups for when it does come available...but that's it.

    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Cormac wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Wait, shes a real racing driver and that was the loudest, least practical thing she's ever driven? What did she race?

    She's not an active racing driver but she done a fair bit of single seat racing when she was younger and more recently sport car racing. She's one of the hosts on Fifth Gear which is another British car show that's far more serious that Top Gear. She used to be a host on an older version of Top Gear before it was cancelled to be reborn to what it is today.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Butler-Henderson
    http://www.butler-henderson.com/

    Yeah, I knew she was a host on 5th Gear (even though I've never actually seen it) but I just don't know how you can go from any sort of racing to claiming that a stripped out W12 Golf is the least practical thing she's ever driven. I mean, sure the W12 Golf is certainly impractical, but more impractical than a race car? I think not.

    It's not a W12 golf. It's a golf with a VR6 + gearbox under the bonnet, and another VR6 + gearbox + front suspension turrets and front suspension asembly grafted into the rear.

    Then a series of complicated linkages such that the accelerator and clutch pedals operate both engines and clutches at the same time, and an even more complicated linkage such that the gearstick changes gear in both gearboxes at the same time.

    Also there is no firewall or other bulkhead between the rear engine/gearbox and the driver.

  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    It sounds like a redneck pet project. Awesome from a raw-hp perspective, but clumsily executed.

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • SixSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Spackler wrote:
    tesla-model-s-rear-side-502.jpg
    How much do those run again?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Delivery of Model S is expected to begin in mid-2012, with a base price of US$57,400

    Six on
    XBL, PSN, & Steam: SixkillerNYC Twitter Flickr
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    japan wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Cormac wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Wait, shes a real racing driver and that was the loudest, least practical thing she's ever driven? What did she race?

    She's not an active racing driver but she done a fair bit of single seat racing when she was younger and more recently sport car racing. She's one of the hosts on Fifth Gear which is another British car show that's far more serious that Top Gear. She used to be a host on an older version of Top Gear before it was cancelled to be reborn to what it is today.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Butler-Henderson
    http://www.butler-henderson.com/

    Yeah, I knew she was a host on 5th Gear (even though I've never actually seen it) but I just don't know how you can go from any sort of racing to claiming that a stripped out W12 Golf is the least practical thing she's ever driven. I mean, sure the W12 Golf is certainly impractical, but more impractical than a race car? I think not.

    It's not a W12 golf. It's a golf with a VR6 + gearbox under the bonnet, and another VR6 + gearbox + front suspension turrets and front suspension asembly grafted into the rear.

    Then a series of complicated linkages such that the accelerator and clutch pedals operate both engines and clutches at the same time, and an even more complicated linkage such that the gearstick changes gear in both gearboxes at the same time.

    Also there is no firewall or other bulkhead between the rear engine/gearbox and the driver.

    Yeah, I had mixed the two videos together, but I still dont see how its less practical than a race car. I think race cars and cars like the twin engined Golf are equally impractical.

    I do think its crazy though. But I also think its awesome. For some reason I really liked the smoke that was coming out of the engine when she got out of the car.

    camo_sig2.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    emp123 wrote:
    japan wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Cormac wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Wait, shes a real racing driver and that was the loudest, least practical thing she's ever driven? What did she race?

    She's not an active racing driver but she done a fair bit of single seat racing when she was younger and more recently sport car racing. She's one of the hosts on Fifth Gear which is another British car show that's far more serious that Top Gear. She used to be a host on an older version of Top Gear before it was cancelled to be reborn to what it is today.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Butler-Henderson
    http://www.butler-henderson.com/

    Yeah, I knew she was a host on 5th Gear (even though I've never actually seen it) but I just don't know how you can go from any sort of racing to claiming that a stripped out W12 Golf is the least practical thing she's ever driven. I mean, sure the W12 Golf is certainly impractical, but more impractical than a race car? I think not.

    It's not a W12 golf. It's a golf with a VR6 + gearbox under the bonnet, and another VR6 + gearbox + front suspension turrets and front suspension asembly grafted into the rear.

    Then a series of complicated linkages such that the accelerator and clutch pedals operate both engines and clutches at the same time, and an even more complicated linkage such that the gearstick changes gear in both gearboxes at the same time.

    Also there is no firewall or other bulkhead between the rear engine/gearbox and the driver.

    Yeah, I had mixed the two videos together, but I still dont see how its less practical than a race car. I think race cars and cars like the twin engined Golf are equally impractical.

    I do think its crazy though. But I also think its awesome. For some reason I really liked the smoke that was coming out of the engine when she got out of the car.

    A race car is only impractical as a street car. It's still good at its job as a race car. That Golf is not good in either capacity. It's too complicated and heavy for a race car and too useless and stripped to be a street car. That makes it more impractical than a race car.

    SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited December 2011

    fshavlak on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Rear lockup. Rear lockup?! Flames!

    I love that video. 8->

    Signature3.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk PSN: Gridlynk FFXIV: ARR - Jarvellis Mika
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    Rear lockup. Rear lockup?! Flames!

    I love that video. 8->

    The 220 has always been a favorite of mine.

  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had a scale die cast model in British racing green when I was a kid, but I have no idea where it is now. I have the feeling it got sold at a garage sale many years ago, and there's a good chance my scale Countach met the same fate.

    Signature3.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk PSN: Gridlynk FFXIV: ARR - Jarvellis Mika
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So my Subaru wouldn't start the other morning when it was 4F and the battery terminals were all corroded so I went and replaced the battery. The car started up great after that and I drove it around for the next day or two. This morning the car wouldn't even crank. No console lights, nothing.

    What do you guys think? New battery is bad or maybe the alternator?
    Spoiler:

    CommunistCow on
    7521745260_e8e0fc52b8_o.jpg
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Did you leave your lights on?

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Can't leave your headlights on on a Subaru. They go off when the car goes off. The only lights that could have stayed on was the dome light if I didn't completely close a door. I don't think that is the case and I didn't notice any of my doors ajar this morning but I'm having my wife double check when she gets home.

    Edit: And just to be sure I made sure the terminals were still connected to the battery.

    Super double edit: You can leave the corner lights on but you have to hit a switch on the top of the steering column. I did get some gas yesterday and hit the reset button on my trip meter. Its possible I accidentally hit the switch for the corner lights.

    Late third edit: I remember I did drive the car after getting gas late last night and the corner lights were not on. Hrrrmmm.

    CommunistCow on
    7521745260_e8e0fc52b8_o.jpg
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If it wasn't such a pain to get to the alternator, I'd say pull it off and have it tested, if you're absolutely positive that none of the lights were on.

    Edit: Err, wait. I'm thinking starter.
    Get the alternator off and have it tested.

    L Ron Howard on
    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Well, I'd guess the alternator is bad or you've got a short somewhere. If you've got a multimeter you can test the battery and alternator. Or you can take the alternator in to most autoparts stores and have them test it.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'll try and test the battery/alternator with my multimeter tonight. I googled around and it sounds like the battery should read 12v with nothing on and should read 13.5-14.8v when the car is running (because of the alternator). So if the car has been running for a while and I'm reading less that 13.5v the alternator is probably bad. Does that sound right to everyone?

    This is where I found that info:
    http://autorepair.about.com/od/glossary/a/howitworks_alternator.htm

    I'll get the car jumped and see what everything reads once it has been running for a while.

    CommunistCow on
    7521745260_e8e0fc52b8_o.jpg
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Does the car run fine once it's been jumped? If so, I'd think it'd either be the battery, as you could have a bad battery, or a short as @SiliconStew said, and not the alternator.

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    If it's not a sealed battery check the fluid level. Hell, even some sealed batteries seem to loose some water over time.

    I dunno, I take you seriously on some topics and dick rider is your profession
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you rev the engine up after you start it (2000rpm). Some alternators don't start working until they get above idle speed. Yes, your battery should be ~12V not running and the alternator should output ~13-15 running. Also, switch your multimeter to AC and check the alternator output voltage when running. If it's showing more than ~0.5V AC the alternator diodes are bad. You can also check the alternator output current with the engine off, if it's more than a few milliamps of leakage, the alternator diodes are bad.

    Also, with the battery at 12V, turn the ignition on but do not start. Is the battery or alternator warning light in the dash on? If it's not, that warning light circuit being dead can prevent the alternator from energizing. Once you start the car and the alternator has energized, that light should turn off.

    Of course, you could just have bad luck and the new battery is bad and won't take a charge.

    SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    With a (really, truly) dead battery an alternator often won't be able to actually get a good charge on it. Use a wall-outlet charger and see if that helps it hold a charge for more than a few days.

  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    So the battery tested good. I then proceeded to clean the battery terminals with baking soda water because they were really corroded. After that the car started right up. I also checked the alternator which checked out fine. Not sure why it ran for a day and then decided to not start.

    The moral of the story is to not be a lazy bastard and clean your battery terminals when you replace your battery.

    7521745260_e8e0fc52b8_o.jpg
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    So I'm looking at the Mazda 3 and the Subaru Impreza, both hatchback. The 3 has a slightly more comfortable drive, doors that unlock when you open them from the inside, and very slightly better fuel mileage with its Skyrim engine, while the Impreza is marginally safer, has a bit more room in both the back seat and cargo, has four wheel drive (I live in New England), and can get heated side mirrors and wipers if I go for the "premium" model (also seats, which I don't care about, and aluminum alloy wheels, which could theoretically make up the mileage difference). Anyone have any input? How do the the two compare for reliability (not really fair, as it looks like both have been redesigned for this model year).

  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Which car felt better to you to drive when you took it out for a test drive? If mileage is withing a few of eachother than you can chalk up any difference in the real world to varying driving conditions, and concentrate on overall feel, amenities, financing options, and insurance rates to name a few.

    Living in New England, the Subaru will definitely be better to drive in the winter with the AWD, but a good set of snow tires on the Mazda will make it better but not nearly as good. However, if you've never had AWD and are accustomed to driving the winter conditions than the Mazda with snow tires or good all seasons will be fine. I have AWD and snow tires, I need both to get up a very steep driveway, and few things other than very deep snow or sheets of ice keep me from having great traction and control at all times.

    From what I've read on review sites the Mazda is the 'drivers' car of the two, and the Subaru is essentially a Honda/Toyota with a great AWD system (meaning a rather bland but pleasant car).

    Cormac on
    Signature3.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk PSN: Gridlynk FFXIV: ARR - Jarvellis Mika
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Cormac wrote:
    Which car felt better to you to drive when you took it out for a test drive? If mileage is withing a few of eachother than you can chalk up any difference in the real world to varying driving conditions, and concentrate on overall feel, amenities, financing options, and insurance rates to name a few.

    Living in New England, the Subaru will definitely be better to drive in the winter with the AWD, but a good set of snow tires on the Mazda will make it better but not nearly as good. However, if you've never had AWD and are accustomed to driving the winter conditions than the Mazda with snow tires or good all seasons will be fine. I have AWD and snow tires, I need both to get up a very steep driveway, and few things other than very deep snow or sheets of ice keep me from having great traction and control at all times.

    From what I've read on review sites the Mazda is the 'drivers' car of the two, and the Subaru is essentially a Honda/Toyota with a great AWD system (meaning a rather bland but pleasant car).

    I'd say the drives are about even, although this would be the first car that's my own, and our last four have been large Hondas (Odyssey, CRV, Pilot, new CRV). My dad seemed to think that both had a good portion of pep, while all I care about is whether I can merge unto a highway without worrying about being rear ended. For ride in the Mazda, I liked that both the brake and the gas had a long (what's the term?) foot distance, allowing me to choose exactly how rapidly I want to accelerate and decelerate. The Imprezza had a much shorter foot distance, but they were smooth enough that it wasn't a problem (the current CRV is horribly binary, forcing me to pump the pedals if I don't want to go through the windshield or rear window. The Imprezza also had its pedals much closer together relative to the seat, making it easier to find a comfortable seat position for both and easing my worries about my foot getting caught or being too slow if I ever had to brake suddenly (again, this is an issue with the CRV).

    I should also note that there's a price difference. They are roughly the same cost at basic, but the Imrezza costs a good bit more with the all weather package while the Mazda dealer offered a free service package generous enough that had my dad trying to figure out what the catch was all the way home (it included free oil changes). Of course, he's paying for it out of the money I saved him by graduating early, so I'm not sure how much it matters. On the other hand, Mazdas are driver-y enough that I'm worried about insurance companies nailing me in the ass under the assumption that I'm an idiot kid.
    The other cars I'll be looking at are the Ford Focus (or was it Fiesta? negatives: Ford's reliability reputation, Jews don't drive Fords), Honda Civic (doesn't came w/ hatch), and Hondai... something (Elantra?). We've read reviews casting the corolla as being comparable, but my dad thinks it's too boring and I think it's too lacking in hatchbacks. I recently heard that the Chevy Cruz got #1 in Forbes' ranking of safest small cars, but I know next to nothing about it.

    Well, writing everything down, the Imprezza sounds much better, but I don't want to reject the Mazda, partly due to price, and possible partly due to liking the fact that the Mazda dealer pays its people a salary plus a flat, per-car commission.

  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    First off, don't even bother with the new Civics, they're nothing like the Civics of old or even a few years ago. They're ugly, cheaply made, lackluster to drive, and are outclassed in pretty much every way be any other car in the segment. Honda has responded to all the bad press and reviews the car has received and is doing a mid-year refresh to correct or alleviate it's deficiencies.

    The Hyundai Elantra and Veloster are both worth looking at, and I think are in the price range of the other cars you're looking at. The VW Jetta has been getting good reviews but it lacks the quality feeling of previous generations. If the Fiat 500 is available in your area, and the looks are to your liking, it's a nice little car (I'm pining for the 500 Abarth when it comes out next year. That much power in such a small car is going to be so much fun).

    Signature3.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk PSN: Gridlynk FFXIV: ARR - Jarvellis Mika
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    My dad's been steering me away for the Veloster/Fiat 500/Fit family under the idea that it makes a better second car (especially for families with a young driver). Otherwise, I'd be sizing up the Sonic. If a Panda or Bravo (?) comes in tomorrow, I'll give Fiat a look.
    I'd totally forgotten about VW. The Golf is a favorite because my dad had one when he was young and loved the little trooper. I have no idea what the difference between a 5-door hatchback and a 5-door estate/wagon is from Wikipedia, though. Diesel sounds cool, although my dad'll never sign off on something like that. I'll have to look at the Jetta, too.

    Thanks for hearing me out on this. It's nice to hash things out.

  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to disagree with your Dad on nearly all of his opinions, but it's his money that's buying the car so his opinion is to be respected. That said, writing off diesel just because it's diesel in a mentality we Americans really need to ditch. Diesels have fantastic gas mileage, fantastic low end torque, if they're a modern low sulfur design have less CO2 output than competing gasoline engines, and with a manual transmission can be a very fun car to drive. If he's a Golf fan, test drive the TDI version and the gasoline version (or do the same with the Jetta), and I think you'll (and hopefully he) will be very impressed by it.

    If don't see how he sees the Veloster as a second car. It's 5-door hatch with a unique design that makes it look like sport car. If you're already at the Hyundai dealership it's in the same price range as the Elantra, look at it anyways. The interior space should be pretty similar as well so lack of space inside should not be an excuse unless it's legitimately too small.

    This is going to your car, so even if he's paying for it, take as many cars as you want, that interest you, and are in your price range as you want. Don't sell for something that's just ok, make sure you buy a car you like to look at, like to drive, and meets you needs and wants the best.

    Yes I know your Dad is going to have the final say because it's his name on the check, but don't relinquish your wants and needs.

    Edit: I'm just some guy on the internet, so if you really like a particular car he's not too keen on, for example a diesel, do a little research to show him why it's a better choice then the gasoline version.

    Cormac on
    Signature3.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk PSN: Gridlynk FFXIV: ARR - Jarvellis Mika
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    My bad, looks like I misinterpreted the Veloster design as a two-door. I thought it was a two-door. I'll have to look at it.

    With diesel, the problem isn't actually anything about the car itself so much as my family. No one we know knows where to find a diesel pump and I don't think the family GPS has a setting to look for diesel stations only. Do most stations have a pump around the back?
    I should also note that I don't know how to drive stick and both of our current cars are auto. Our old CRV was a standard, but a tree ran into it. Actually, one of the things I like about the Impreza is that the concept behind CVT sounds cool.

  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    Most gas stations have a diesel pump. It's either yellow or green. It should be green, but gas stations are changing colors around (or do I have this backwards?).
    Next time you go to a gas station, look for one of the handles on the pumps to be green or yellow.

    steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah, finding a gas station with diesel can be problematic depending on where you live. I typically go to the same gas station out of convenience and I noticed one or two of it's pumps had a diesel option, but the one I went to today out of necessity did not have any that I could see. I doubt any car GPS made for American drivers (other than models marketed to tractor trailer drivers) is going to have a specific listing for diesel stations because of our national aversion to it for consumer cars.

    I'm not trying to talk you into a diesel car, but just to make you aware the option is there.

    Signature3.jpg
    Steam: Gridlynk PSN: Gridlynk FFXIV: ARR - Jarvellis Mika
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    If you're willing to go used, I'd look at the third generation Subaru Impreza (2007–201). I have some mis-givings about the new generation only being available with the 2.0L H4 engine. The third generation (the one I have) still has the 2.5L outputting 170hp. It has a decent amount of get up for a four-banger. Also AWD with winter tires is a winning combination. I have yet to get my car stuck, and that's not for lack of trying.

    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    I'm actually a bit surprised you felt that the driving experience between the Mazda and the Subby were equal - for one, the newly designed autotranny for the Mazda3 is much more responsive than than the Impreza's CVT. It's flat out more fun to drive, plus the real world mileage reviews so far for the 3 have been pretty impressive.

    (By the way, it's the Skyactiv engine, not the Skyrim engine, but that's hilarious enough that I'm just going to go ahead and call it that from now on. =) )

    Of course, you can't beat the AWD if you're driving in inclement weather all the time. The Impreza also has more room in the back, and the back seats actually fold flat, so that's a plus if you're going to be toting stuff around on a regular basis. I recall one of the trims offering automatic climate control, which isn't a feature you'll find in the 3. (It's not a big deal to me, but some people can't live without this feature, so YMMV.) I'm also impressed with the mileage - 36mpg on highway is pretty impressive for an AWD car. It's only been out for a little while though, so we'll see in a few months how the real world mileage stacks up.

    I wouldn't worry about insurance premiums for the 3 - the real speed demons always opt for the Mazda 3 Speed model, so they're likely going to be the ones that have to worry about higher payments.

    My problem with the new GTI is one: 1) Pricing, yeeeeow. 2) The DSG transmission is aggravating when you aren't pushing it - it's not a comfortable ride for basic commutes and even worse when you're stuck in traffic all the time. 3) Maintenance over time costs are usually much higher compared to cars in the same class. It's a super fun car to drive if you're ever willing to learn a stick though, it's got a lot of power and it knows how to use it.

    Spoiler:
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    GTI is the hatchback, right?

    And, yeah, the mileage of the Imprezza hatch auto is only one less than the 3 hatch auto for both city and highway, if I have my math right.

  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    GTI is the hatchback, right?

    And, yeah, the mileage of the Imprezza hatch auto is only one less than the 3 hatch auto for both city and highway, if I have my math right.

    Yeah, the GTI is the hatch.

    It's one less for city, but 3mpg less for highway, so it's a negligible difference. Real world mileage returns for the 3 on the highway have been pretty nice though - some people have been averaging 40-45 mpg when they stick to easy cruising on highways.

    Spoiler:
  • jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    My problem with the new GTI is one: 2) The DSG transmission is aggravating when you aren't pushing it - it's not a comfortable ride for basic commutes and even worse when you're stuck in traffic all the time.
    Really? I've never had that kind of issue with mine. It shifts extremely smoothly in traffic and acts like a very docile automatic during daily driving. Did you maybe have it in sport mode in heavy traffic?

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote:
    My problem with the new GTI is one: 2) The DSG transmission is aggravating when you aren't pushing it - it's not a comfortable ride for basic commutes and even worse when you're stuck in traffic all the time.
    Really? I've never had that kind of issue with mine. It shifts extremely smoothly in traffic and acts like a very docile automatic during daily driving. Did you maybe have it in sport mode in heavy traffic?

    Yeah, just in regular automatic mode it drives... like an automatic. In sport it'll run up to 5500-6000 RPM before a shift.

    h1DI1.jpg
    All my fuckin life I lived a normal fuckin life
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote:
    My problem with the new GTI is one: 2) The DSG transmission is aggravating when you aren't pushing it - it's not a comfortable ride for basic commutes and even worse when you're stuck in traffic all the time.
    Really? I've never had that kind of issue with mine. It shifts extremely smoothly in traffic and acts like a very docile automatic during daily driving. Did you maybe have it in sport mode in heavy traffic?

    Yeah, just in regular automatic mode it drives... like an automatic. In sport it'll run up to 5500-6000 RPM before a shift.

    .......I think you might be right about this. My friend let me drive his GTI for a day so I could get a feel for it, and I was wondering what the fuck was going whenever I tried to get it to upshift. It was probably in sport mode and I was never aware of it.

    Spoiler:
Sign In or Register to comment.