As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

• MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The most exciting thing for me in that trailer was hearing the one guy's voice, the one that calls in the dropship. I think it's the same VA as the Tribes 2 announcer.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh wow this looks like the MMOFPS I always wanted

free-to-play too jesus christ

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the microtransition model is proving that it can definitely work if your game is high enough quality (see league of legends)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Day one.

Like seriously, this is everything I wanted from Huxley and more.

Mortal Sky on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the microtransition model is proving that it can definitely work if your game is high enough quality (see league of legends)

I was going to say...

They can probably get away with just selling skins, extra characters, stuff like that. Maybe extra maps, etc, etc.

Hm. I'm not much of a shooter guy, but I liked Tribes and I thought borderlands was okay. If they put tanks and/or dropships and/or fighter planes in this game, I'll play it.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh god oh god

free co-op borderlands with more replay value

OH GOD OH GOD

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Their logo looks so much like Starcraft's to me.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I am so fucking sick of fighting stupid little bugs

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As opposed to stupid little mans and robots (or aliens which mostly are bugs)?

Xeddicus on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks pretty good. Certainly not something I'd expect to be available for free.

Peewi on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want this game to merge awesomeness tribes with the scale of Planetside. It wont, I know. But it's free so meh.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The graphics are hilariously bad, but I've seen far worse from free-to-play games. And really, I'm more interested that they get the gameplay right, which is what keeps people playing a free mmo/shooter/whatever.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The graphics are hilariously bad, but I've seen far worse from free-to-play games. And really, I'm more interested that they get the gameplay right, which is what keeps people playing a free mmo/shooter/whatever.

The graphics are just fine. I think what you don't like is the art style, which is understandable. I kinda like it myself, but I can see why others wouldn't.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I misspoke, it's more bland than bad. But hopefully that's something they'll improve.

Squirrel Rancher on
    edited September 2010
    The environments are kind of bland, I agree. They're kinda sparse and could do with more foliage and interesting terrain features. Of course, that's just from watching that one video and for all I know there could be fucking awesome stuff elsewhere. I'll just have to wait and see.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interesting! I wonder if there'll be enemies other than gigantic bug hordes

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, some of my favorite games combined into one free item. Its like christmas, without the swearing and family fighting with each other. <3

Going to have to keep an eye on this game, for sure.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it should be mentioned that the lead designer was also the lead on Tribes and Tribes 2.

This game was made for me! [/amigara]

An old Dynamix lead?

Wow.... This just made game of PAX for me. I will never stop playing this.

Talkc on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Interesting! I wonder if there'll be enemies other than gigantic bug hordes

Well in the ten minute gameplay trailer there are massive robots and other dudes to fight.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neat, that's something else to dig up on YouTube when I get home! Although I shouldn't complain, phone internet is better than no internet

So far this thread has been most of my exposure to Firefall, so I had the vague inkling that it involved bugs and underdressed women!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited September 2010
    Only 1 under dressed woman (and there's not even any cleavage!), but many bugs. Maybe they'll swap that around to make people tired of bugs happy?

And I wonder if they've confirmed my forum account manually yet, still no confirmation email...and yay, they did.

Xeddicus on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    The environments are kind of bland, I agree. They're kinda sparse and could do with more foliage and interesting terrain features. Of course, that's just from watching that one video and for all I know there could be fucking awesome stuff elsewhere. I'll just have to wait and see.

Remember that the game isn't even in Beta yet. It's a safe bet that there are additional graphical bells and whistles planned.

Tynnan on
  • SylverlokkSylverlokk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Only 1 under dressed woman (and there's not even any cleavage!), but many bugs. Maybe they'll swap that around to make people tired of bugs happy?

And I wonder if they've confirmed my forum account manually yet, still no confirmation email...and yay, they did.

I bet your right, for the beta video the cinematic will have a fully armored woman and her group fighting off hordes of attacking mammaries. They had Breast get on that right now!

Sylverlokk on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Sylverlokk wrote: »
    I bet your right, for the beta video the cinematic will have a fully armored woman and her group fighting off hordes of attacking mammaries. They had Breast get on that right now!

You have my cock!

Axe. I mean axe.

Echo on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When they say free...i'm assuming they mean 'no monthly payments' and not 'no initial purchase price' ?

Noooo, it means they're going with a microtransactions model. Supposedly nothing to unbalance the game (mostly cosmetic I guess), but we'll have to wait and see.

I fail to see how they can make money doing that....

My guess is that the microtransactions money will probably be supplemented by harvesting email addresses / personal info for sale, and/or ads.

But I don't care, and will still play it, because this looks like the closest thing to a Tribes remake as I've seen recently. And I want to jetpack through the air and shoot mans with a team of like-minded chat-spammers.
    SHAZBOT! I NEED AN APC PICKUP.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Game looks fun. Even more tempting because it's free.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to assume we can traverse all that landscape we see on the ride to Dredge.

joshgotro on
    edited September 2010
    League of Legends is free to play and sells skins, XP and IP (alternate currency) earning boosts, and you can outright buy stuff instead of having to use IP you earn over time. I imagine Firefall will work a lot like that. Everyone has access to all the gameplay stuff, you just get it faster if you buy it and don't look as cool if you don't spend money.

Xeddicus on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah if this uses a model similar to league of legends i'll be very interested

but we'll see

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited September 2010
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

Remember that the game isn't even in Beta yet. It's a safe bet that there are additional graphical bells and whistles planned.

Oh, I know. I'm sure they'll add all sorts of shit and I doubt I'll have anything to nitpick about when the game comes out. I'm just over here, doin my thing, don't mind me.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm expecting a hat based economy.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I... free... looks great, I don't even.... fuck.

Yeah, I'm sold.

Edit: and then I got to the part with the Titan.

Fuck. Me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2010
    I dunno, if that part with the Titan ends how it does for that guy you'll be stopping that 1 word shorter. Or not and adding some exclamation marks and capital letters.

Xeddicus on
    edited September 2010
    Or all of the above

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    As opposed to stupid little mans and robots (or aliens which mostly are bugs)?

yes

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Scott Youngblood being involved is awesome. And there are some other old Tribes guys involved in the project as well. Met Scott Youngblood @ PAX last night (CCP Party) and he was pretty cool, the Instant Action guys were buying him shots.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ex-Dynamix team members are a big plus in my book.

Yes indeedy. I have missed my jetpacks.

Drake on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this PC only?

I guess I'll just have to stick to Borderlands.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks like it could be pretty great. I think all online-only games should use the free + microtransaction model, it makes it so much easier to get together a community and opens up a lot of ways for them to continue development indefinitely.

Zek on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is this PC only?

I guess I'll just have to stick to Borderlands.

Some of the stuff I have seen is atleast hinting @ Console versions - so we'll see.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else