As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jesuits wrote: »
    So far, I've managed to get every ending BUT 4 (and thus, 1). Got Ending 2 on my first run, somehow, but now I'm a little curious how I'm gonna manage to get 4. Time to dig through the thread, I guess!

Wasn't there a post-credits "preview" that showed you the path to take for ending 4? You can re-watch them from the main menu.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Word is this is at 91% on metacritic, FYI.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Word is this is at 91% on metacritic, FYI.

90% now, but that still makes this the sixth best DS game of all time.

Above every Mario game except Mario Kart, above all Zeldas, Pokemons, Castlevanias, Laytons, Kirbies, Final Fantasies, Dragon Quests, Animal Crossing...

Except weirdly enough it says the score's based on 5 critic reviews...which are not displayed.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/critic-reviews

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The same applies to a few other games at Metacritic so I guess something is down on their end. I'm guessing the Destructoid, AV Club, and Games Radar are there but don't know what the other 2 sources would be.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    EVOL wrote: »
    I got the Axe ending and the Knife ending. This game's way more tense than I thought it'd be. Writing's top-notch, it makes Hotel Dusk and the AA series' writing laughable(yeah, they were never exactly good, but you get the point).

Not sure about AA, but Gyakuten Saiban is well written. You're comparing apples to oranges.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Finally managed to find this and basically marathoned my way to an ending. #5 if we're going by the slots on the load screen.
    The knife ending. Where you get stabbed. With a knife.

Kind of came out of nowhere. Which I guess is the whole gimmick of the game and all. I thought I was doing rather good though, but oh well. Time to go for another path.

I did kind of cheat at one point though. Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to go with door 3, even after they tell you that it can't be an option. After finding out that this path is basically Junpei screwing over some people, and finding Snake's body on the other side, I pussed out, reloaded, and picked door 8.

One thing that really impressed me is that I'm glad they didn't hold back on the language. When Santa dropped the F bomb, I knew the writers weren't going to pussy out. I really hate censorship, especially in the language department, but more so when it's at complete odds with the scene. Nothing irks me more than hearing "Oh dang! You just killed my family!". You don't have to curse every other word, but don't use childish words to describe a scene of horror. So happy they went for it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    The same applies to a few other games at Metacritic so I guess something is down on their end. I'm guessing the Destructoid, AV Club, and Games Radar are there but don't know what the other 2 sources would be.

If Metacritic counts Nintendo Power they gave it a 9/10.

I went with 4/5 on mine, but I'm pretty sure Snackbar doesn't show up on the aggregators.

EDIT: Gamerankings just has NP's and Cheat Code Central (4.5/5).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The final puzzle, for all it's dramatic tension, kind of let me down.
    A sudoku? Really?

Game was all around solid otherwise.

Played it 3 times and got, in order: ending 5, then 4, then 1.

Huge spoilers
    So Akane is Zero and thus the manipulator that got Ace to kill all his former collaborators while simultaneously saving her own life by putting the boy she loves into a life and death situation after kidnapping and drugging 13 people. Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got ending 4 just a bit ago. Wondering which all I should go for, with 4 and 6 done.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    A sudoku? Really?
    Well, it does involve the number 9.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A sudoku? Really?

I guess that should have been obvious.
    Despite how fitting it is, it still feels like they could have ripped that puzzle out of the daily paper.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, Amazon is having a sale for Buy 1 Get 50% Off select games and accessories (over a thousand of them). Guess what's eligible. :D

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Intriguing. (No I haven't bought this yet and I'm a horrible person.)

I have wanted Rhythm Heaven for a really long time...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    So, Amazon is having a sale for Buy 1 Get 50% Off select games and accessories (over a thousand of them). Guess what's eligible. :D

I just have trouble finding something else to go with it.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    At a glance, there's a Layton game, Dragon Quest IX, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy 4HoL, and Rhythm Heaven(!)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »

I just have trouble finding something else to go with it.

There's so much on that list!

(I went with Batman: Brave and the Bold for Wii because I want to support Wayforward and their games that look like cartoons)

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    At a glance, there's a Layton game, Dragon Quest IX, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy 4HoL, and Rhythm Heaven(!)

I have Layton, not interested in the RPGs, and Elite Beat Agents beat out any enjoyment I had with the music rhythm genre. I'm on the fence for Etrian Odyssey III since though I haven't played any EO game I liked Strange Journey which looks very similar.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Strange Journey's mapmaking was taken wholesale from Etrian Odyssey, except you draw your maps in EO, and it's actually harder(believe it or not).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Game? Beaten.

True ending? Gotten.

Head? Asplode.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A sudoku? Really?

I guess that should have been obvious.
    Despite how fitting it is, it still feels like they could have ripped that puzzle out of the daily paper.

I'm actually proud that I managed to solve that in less real-world time than the stated in-game time limit. It was a pretty low difficulty level, though.

Game? Beaten.

True ending? Gotten.

Head? Asplode.

Wolfman didn't make it to the DEAD in time. :(

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just got the last three endings I needed. True ending reactions:
    "Okay so I get that Akane is using the morphogenetic field to communicate and the past is altered, cool. Yesss, I had a feeling they were really in the building this whole time. Why was there just a mandrake root in Allice's coffin? Weird, but whatever. Oh somebody by the road, I bet it's Akanfgrhfrhfrfhrf WHAT THE FUCK"

Thread should be more accurately titled Phoenix Wright + Cube + Donnie Darko

Green on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    troll wrote: »
    lol spoilers.

Oh, piss off. I sure hope that wasn't a spoiler.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Annnnd, I'm out. Goodbye thread.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got my watch today!

It is...much smaller than expected. The actual face and band are big, but it's very tight on my wrist. I'm assuming at least, because it's so hard to snap closed and open again that I couldn't manage to do it with one hand. Then I didn't want to wind up stuck in it (like they are in the game I bet) when I couldn't get it removed one handed.

I'll just put it on display somewhere I guess. A little disappointing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    troll wrote: »
    So we were playing as Akane the whole time, and channeling Junpei? Trippy.

Oh, piss off. I sure hope that wasn't a spoiler.

Oh, it was... it was.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I got my watch today!

It is...much smaller than expected. The actual face and band are big, but it's very tight on my wrist. I'm assuming at least, because it's so hard to snap closed and open again that I couldn't manage to do it with one hand. Then I didn't want to wind up stuck in it (like they are in the game I bet) when I couldn't get it removed one handed.

I'll just put it on display somewhere I guess. A little disappointing.

Reproduce one of the scenes in the game with the watch lying on the floor, take a photo of it and become briefly internet famous!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    it's so hard to snap closed and open again that I couldn't manage to do it with one hand. Then I didn't want to wind up stuck in it (like they are in the game I bet) when I couldn't get it removed one handed.

Oh, they can get them off in the game. I just wouldn't recommend trying the most common method.
    It's a shame that Snake's solution to that problem is only employed once. I thought that was really neat.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuck the fucking box puzzle in the cargo room.

Took me an hour.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Fuck the fucking box puzzle in the cargo room.

Took me an hour.

I did that one three times. >_<

But I'm pretty sure one of the puzzles behind Door 9 took longer.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm trying hard not to look at a guide to figure out how to get different endings -I have 3 of them; time for spoilers-
    First playthrough (Door 5, then Door 8, then Door 1 (Axe ending)
    Second playthrough (Door 4, then Door 3, then Door 2 (Submarine ending)
    Third playthrough (Door 5, then Door 7, then Door 6 (Knife ending)
    Fourth playthrough (Door 4, then Door 8, then Door 2 (Submarine ending)
    Fifth playthrough (Door 5, then Door 3, then Door 2 (Submarine ending)
    Sixth playthrough (Door 4, then Door 7, then Door 1 (Axe ending)

I'm not sure if some of the dialog choices possibly change the outcome, At first I thought maybe its about not just what doors your enter, but what order you enter as well..

Going through door 3 seems to always lead to Door 2, so I thought maybe choosing Door 2 through the raffle pick would change things up, but I was wrong.

Same thing with going through Door 1 always seems to end as well.

Going through Door 6 gave me a glimpse of the room with Door 9, but then oh no.
    ---
    I'm seriously confused on what determines my ending and getting the same endings several times while trying different things is pretty annoying.
    -notes of interest.. Santas luckycharm.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rubycat wrote: »
    I'm trying hard not to look at a guide to figure out how to get different endings -I have 3 of them; time for spoilers-
    First playthrough (Door 5, then Door 8, then Door 1 (Axe ending)
    Second playthrough (Door 4, then Door 3, then Door 2 (Submarine ending)
    Third playthrough (Door 5, then Door 7, then Door 6 (Knife ending)
    Fourth playthrough (Door 4, then Door 8, then Door 2 (Submarine ending)
    Fifth playthrough (Door 5, then Door 3, then Door 2 (Submarine ending)
    Sixth playthrough (Door 4, then Door 7, then Door 1 (Axe ending)

I'm not sure if some of the dialog choices possibly change the outcome, At first I thought maybe its about not just what doors your enter, but what order you enter as well..

Going through door 3 seems to always lead to Door 2, so I thought maybe choosing Door 2 through the raffle pick would change things up, but I was wrong.

Same thing with going through Door 1 always seems to end as well.

Going through Door 6 gave me a glimpse of the room with Door 9, but then oh no.
    ---
    I'm seriously confused on what determines my ending and getting the same endings several times while trying different things is pretty annoying.
    -notes of interest.. Santas luckycharm.

You've gotten the three bad endings. If you haven't taken one of the two correct paths along the way, the final door determines which of the three bad endings you get.

So, now you just need to get ending 4. Once you've done that, you'll be shown a video telling you the path to get the true ending. (If you take the true ending path before getting ending 4, you get ending 2, which is just a truncated version of the true ending with a "to be continued...?" closer.

Here's a hint on getting ending 4:
    The safe in room 5 is the key. Examine it, and you'll come back to it later if you take the correct path.

And here's the actual path to get ending 4:
    Door 5 (be sure to examine the safe), Door 8, Door 6.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It's not just the order you go in doors, but also the dialog options you select that determine your endings. That's why when you play through it again it grays out the dialog you've already selected as a reminder that you can choose something else.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Here is what affects the endings you get:
    The order you go through doors.

Most endings are just based on the final door you go through, but the ones that matter and lead you toward the true ending are specific sets of doors you have to go through in the right order.

There are hardly any dialogue choices that really matter. For example, stuff like choosing who else should scan to take a look at the dead #9 guy at the very beginning doesn't matter at all. Or as another example, whether you tell Akane you believe in curses.

There is essentially one thing that is significant. Spoiler:
    The clover bookmark.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Most endings are just based on the final door you go through, but the ones that matter and lead you toward the true ending are specific sets of doors you have to go through in the right order.

There are hardly any dialogue choices that really matter. For example, stuff like choosing who else should scan to take a look at the dead #9 guy at the very beginning doesn't matter at all. Or as another example, whether you tell Akane you believe in curses.

The clover bookmark.

I could be wrong -- I haven't tested it--but I think there are about 4 important choices other than just picking doors.
    Examining the safe behind door 5 (needs to be done for ending 4)
    Taking the bookmark from Snake and giving it to Clover.
    Talking to Snake about Ice-9.
    Talking to Seven about Ice-9.
    I'm told all three of these must be done for ending 1.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah. I just didn't want to go into too much detail and ruin it, since he's trying not to get spoiled.

The first thing you list still requires a certain door order for it to matter.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

The clover bookmark.

I could be wrong -- I haven't tested it--but I think there are about 4 important choices other than just picking doors.
    Taking the bookmark from Santa and giving it to Clover.
    Talking to Santa about Ice-9.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

The clover bookmark.

Taking the bookmark from Santa and giving it to Clover.
    Talking to Santa about Ice-9.

...yes. That is what I meant. :oops:

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    UncleSporky on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For some reason, that address just loops me back to the main aksys site. I mean, I wasn't sure what I was going to ask, but now I seem to be fully prevented from so much as making the attempt. Maybe this is because I accidentally left my birth year as 2010.

While I was there, though, I took the opportunity to vote for my favorite character. Very minor spoilers to follow:
    It was really close between Ace and Seven for me. Amnesia is probably my least favorite plot device in the history of literature, but Seven was just so likable in spite of it that I had to vote for him.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Right now I kind of wish I saved the true ending for last. At the very least I should play to see what is behind doors 3 and 2, but the game has been "beaten" and now golden sun is demanding attention. :(

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif