As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

999[DS] / VLR / ZE3 [3DS/PSV]: Wassup. You have ...Somnium Files? Siggyyy. Phidooo.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ditto. I avoided the safe ending for a bit, despite seeing the sequence in the coffin ending, as my siblings suggested I see a few other endings first.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I don't recall specifically, but I'm pretty sure the safe ending was the last one I got before the true, and at that point I had to look up how to get it because I was frustrated, heh.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I don't recall specifically, but I'm pretty sure the safe ending was the last one I got before the true, and at that point I had to look up how to get it because I was frustrated, heh.

My memory of this matches yours. :)

• Options
    I think the coffin ending gives you a preview that shows you the necessary door order for Safe. Same way Safe does for True. But that's easy to overlook.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I think the coffin ending gives you a preview that shows you the necessary door order for Safe. Same way Safe does for True. But that's easy to overlook.

It does. I think I went Knife-Sub-Axe so it wasn't a great help for me, but it's definitely there.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    IMO, it doesn't really matter that you can skip ahead to VLR. I've never liked that advice because 999 is a great game with a great narrative in its own right. Parts are annoying, but on balance it is well worth the time investment.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I think my endings were axe, knife, sub, knife again? Finally I looked at a spoiler-free guide to help me progress.

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The biggest advantage VLR has over 999 is that you don't repeat puzzles going down different decision paths. Every new path is a new puzzle (with the stipulation you skip over the parts that would have repeated).

It was definitely annoying repeating the first room in 999 every runthrough even though it is trivial in difficulty.

Xerink on
    PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Xerink wrote: »
    The biggest advantage VLR has over 999 is that you don't repeat puzzles going down different decision paths. Every new path is a new puzzle (with the stipulation you skip over the parts that would have repeated).

It was definitely annoying repeating the first room in 999 every runthrough even though it is trivial in difficulty.

VLR spoilers
    I did appreciate how having the correct password to the first puzzle via esper knowledge was a plot point in VLR. Phi even gives you a what the fuck speech if you try and redo it!

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I remember I got

Knife, sub, sub, sub, why do people like this game, axe (now I get it!), sub, ask on the forums for help, safe, true.

I am the worst morphogenic field.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I got knife, sub, axe, safe, sub (god damnit), then I looked up what to do to keep going since all the choices were filled in at that point.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I got

This game is not being released in your country, read the SA Let's Play several years later having had the true ending kinda spoiled for you in the intervening time

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I got

This game is not being released in your country, read the SA Let's Play several years later having had the true ending kinda spoiled for you in the intervening time

I don't think the DS had any region locking. So unless language was a barrier...

• Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    Oh hey.
    So my first time through, I opted to take door number 4, because I was trying to approach every decision logically. Given the people who had already volunteered for doors 4 and 5, it didn't make sense to make the groups uneven in size. Plus I wanted to stay with June, who I figured would give me more details about my own backstory.

In the next choice, forcing my way through door #3 seemed like it would antagonize everybody against me (which, yeah, it does) and choosing door #7 meant I would separate from June, which would give me more time with other characters to learn more about them. So I picked #7.

I should mention that I was also fulfilling the story checks on my way through this route. Learned about ICE-9, gave Clover the bookmark, etc.

Finally, the last door choice meant that picking door #1 was the only way everybody went through a door. So that's what I did.

So, on my very first time through the game, I got the Coffin ending (since you haven't opened the safe, you don't have the clue you need to open the coffin, so you just get a To Be Continued and kicked back to the main menu). I was following the path to the True End, by purely making the most logical choices (in my opinion), and as a result I hosed myself out of a real ending to the game my first time through.

Since it didn't really have a satisfying conclusion, I thought for a minute that there was going to be a sequel to the game to keep the story going or something and I was a little annoyed.

I went back and got every other ending before I did it again, but it was not a little frustrating to have to redo the puzzles for every room I had done the first time through.

It was still my GOTY, though.

I thought I was smart, and ended up on the path to the True End, but in reality I was unknowingly stupid because I didn't do something stupid.

Moral of the story: always be stupid.

Bee-yoo-tee-ful story! :D I am glad I went to the guide after my first couple of blind runs, because I think I would've gotten really frustrated with getting the same ending again and again. I feel pretty happy with the order I did them in (Knife, Sub, Safe, Axe, True).

While waiting for VLR to arrive I started Danganronpa. Holy shit Monokuma's voice. I'm playing with Japanese voices and I might have to switch because...homg. Between this and VLR there's a good chance I will arrive in SK as an insane person. Also, my flight leaves in two days. 대한 민국 우리가 간다!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh hey.
    So my first time through, I opted to take door number 4, because I was trying to approach every decision logically. Given the people who had already volunteered for doors 4 and 5, it didn't make sense to make the groups uneven in size. Plus I wanted to stay with June, who I figured would give me more details about my own backstory.

In the next choice, forcing my way through door #3 seemed like it would antagonize everybody against me (which, yeah, it does) and choosing door #7 meant I would separate from June, which would give me more time with other characters to learn more about them. So I picked #7.

I should mention that I was also fulfilling the story checks on my way through this route. Learned about ICE-9, gave Clover the bookmark, etc.

Finally, the last door choice meant that picking door #1 was the only way everybody went through a door. So that's what I did.

So, on my very first time through the game, I got the Coffin ending (since you haven't opened the safe, you don't have the clue you need to open the coffin, so you just get a To Be Continued and kicked back to the main menu). I was following the path to the True End, by purely making the most logical choices (in my opinion), and as a result I hosed myself out of a real ending to the game my first time through.

Since it didn't really have a satisfying conclusion, I thought for a minute that there was going to be a sequel to the game to keep the story going or something and I was a little annoyed.

I went back and got every other ending before I did it again, but it was not a little frustrating to have to redo the puzzles for every room I had done the first time through.

It was still my GOTY, though.

I thought I was smart, and ended up on the path to the True End, but in reality I was unknowingly stupid because I didn't do something stupid.

Moral of the story: always be stupid.

Bee-yoo-tee-ful story! :D I am glad I went to the guide after my first couple of blind runs, because I think I would've gotten really frustrated with getting the same ending again and again. I feel pretty happy with the order I did them in (Knife, Sub, Safe, Axe, True).

While waiting for VLR to arrive I started Danganronpa. Holy shit Monokuma's voice. I'm playing with Japanese voices and I might have to switch because...homg. Between this and VLR there's a good chance I will arrive in SK as an insane person. Also, my flight leaves in two days. 대한 민국 우리가 간다!

I'm jealous, you're getting all kinds of insanity all at once. Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 are not quite on the same level of amazing twists as Zero Escape, but they're more interactive and closer to an actual game.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think having to replay it does make the story work better but most people probably opt for the convenience

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    I got

I don't think the DS had any region locking. So unless language was a barrier...

I mean, yes but

I didn't know the game was worth importing at the time

Hindsight can be very unhelpful like that!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I think having to replay it does make the story work better but most people probably opt for the convenience

Well, having to replay certain bits might help as a refresher. But having to do the same tired intro every time is extremely unwelcome in my book. There are about two minutes of useful information crammed into an hour of exposition there. The part of the game that you're forced through every time is the weakest and least interesting part of it. And having to replay the puzzles is pretty ridiculous, too. It becomes mindless busywork when all you want is more story.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Which is why the changes made by VLR were most welcome.

• Options
    And why we can expect ZTD to also refrain from that kind of thing.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Some new videos.
    A chunk of gameplay and an interview with Uchikoshi
    https://youtu.be/tH9pbThMLs0

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The animation reminds me of Illbleed and Blue Stinger and other Dreamcast games I loved so even though its pretty bad its bad in a way that makes me love it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    They could be still sprites for all I care

• Options
    Well, that's a nasty decision.

I mean, the logical choice is obvious, but it's still cruel.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Are Sigma and Phi here post VLR?

VLR spoilers:
    Logical choice is to just pick one, and mental save scum back if it was the wrong one.

Granted, that poor little girl has to live in the timeline where things went horribly tits up... but meh, that's time travel for you. Not our problem!

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Sigma for definite. Dunno about Phi.
    as for time travel morality, the series does note that in Tenmyouji's biker analogy

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sigma for definite. Dunno about Phi.
    as for time travel morality, the series does note that in Tenmyouji's biker analogy
    I'm just reminded of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkBS4O3yvY

Multidimensional murder box.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    999 had the story, VLR had the better design. Hopefully ZTD beats 'em both and crushes this ending.

Then make a new, unconnected game with all the lessons you learned and none of the baggage from the older storyline.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Punch Line?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Punch Line was terrible.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I hear Punch Line does some interesting things but I just can NOT get past the stupid stupid awful premise.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I tried, I really did. It's just too much.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Punch Line is in English? Text/subtitled/anything?

Also, less than TWO WEEKS for Zero Escape 3. Awesome!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It's available subtitled on Crunchyroll.

• Options
    It's available subtitled on Crunchyroll.

I mean the game.

Thanks, though.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Punch Line was terrible.

The game or the anime?
    The anime was...fitfully interesting? I can see how it would work better as a game? It felt like he was bending over backwards to try and please the moe crowd and doing it just well enough to turn off everyone else but still being too weird for them to care.

• Options
    It just hit me that this comes out in 9 days.

• Options

Wait what really?

• Options
    edited June 2016

Wait what really?

Yep. The 28th. A week from Tuesday.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Wait what really?

Yep. The 28th. A week from Tuesday.

Wow that's a bit of a shock. My poor backlog, a steam sale and an anticipated release in the same week.