As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El Shaddai: Gettin Biblical on your ass

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That extended trailer actually got me pretty psyched. Hopefully we'll hear word on the English release soon.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Here's another one.

Personally my favorite part of all the videos is that chanting whenever he falls. I should probably stop posting these though before anyone else becomes tainted and can't take the game seriously anymore.

No, you should definitely keep posting these.

I'm not sure what the fuck is going on here. But it's funny.

Archonex on
    edited April 2011

Hell just got served.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Usually this stuff is just retarded. This time its actually kinda funny o.O

Mattakuevan on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mystery Box

Beaten to the punch!

Shady3011 on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Mystery Box

Beaten to the punch!

This may be the best one yet.

Lucifer is a dick. A very funny, dick.

Archonex on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Now I'm wondering why those haven't been done with Louis Cypher. Man's been in like five different games already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6YFE67lCk&NR=1

Not a bad effort.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    Who knew this game was so meme friendly? :D

I plan on playing through Okami before this sucker releases. Yes yes, I know I'm a heretic for not owning it already.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    I'm having a really hard time taking this game seriously now after seeing all the videos Niconico has done. Like how can I take this seriously when the whole time I'd be playing I'd be thinking of

this?

I'll still check it out most likely, but that video is just the tip of the iceberg for what Japan has done with this game.

I lost it multiple times starting at the start of the video. Particularly, at "this is an umbrella" and "no problem no problem no problem no problem" and the ensuing attempted act of murder by Lucifer.

Someone has a sick, twisted sense of humor, and I love them for it.

I love how the eulogy/photo montage bit for the blue haired girl just gradually phases her out and becomes just Enoch and the redhead.

fadingathedges on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just letting people know there's a demo on the Japanese PSN store now.

Diarmuid on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm. I can get it and post impressions. (Possibly stream it. :P)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2011
    Demo get!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cj_iwakura

It's not HD quality, but you'll get the jist of it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Being at work and unable to see videos, I deman impressions!

Kyougu on
    edited April 2011
    Presentation: A++

Gameplay: C-

Same old. The 2D platforming was great though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish the fighting was more complex. It's all one-button depending on button timing, with while guarding, jumping, or post-parry to determine other attacks.

The presentation is top-notch though, as expected from Okami's art director and I see myself buying the game for that alone. I don't think the gameplay's going to come close to Bayonetta or DMC4 though, unless we get a lot of more moves though.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Demo sold me. I really enjoyed it. The only thing I was iffy on was the platforming/jumping, it feels a tad floaty.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there any Rolling Enoch in the demo?
    The ending is a little odd for the video, but that's because the original way the video ended. I don't think Japan is really going for Lucifer x Enoch. Yet.

Edit: Tried the demo. Eh. The style is cool but the combat is average and kind of cheap sometimes. Like why can't I do anything if I get knocked on the ground? Why am I completely at their mercy and am pretty much guaranteed to lose a piece of armor? Also enemies are cheating jerks, because I broke a guard of a blade guy once and he immediately went into a spin. I'm pretty sure that in any action game when you break the enemy's guard they're stunned for a second. They don't immediately counter.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Sweet, time for a download.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm having a really hard time taking this game seriously now after seeing all the videos Niconico has done. Like how can I take this seriously when the whole time I'd be playing I'd be thinking of

this?

I'll still check it out most likely, but that video is just the tip of the iceberg for what Japan has done with this game.

I laughed so hard I cried.
    Also, when Lilium came on I fucking lost it. And all the sound glitches and such.

Perfect.

There's a clip of Big Boss and Miku doing this dance but youtube doesn't seem to have it.

Mortal Sky on
    edited April 2011
    Well, just finished my first two playthroughs.

The real draw of this game is definately the visuals and setting. You won't find mountains of innovation gameplay-wise but that's not a bad thing. The combat is pretty simple with some very cool looking attacks. Can't comment on the story since it was in Japanese, but I can say the game itself was pretty fun, if derivative.

My real problem though was significant jaggies that look nothing like the trailer. I'm pretty sure it's because it's an HD game and I have a SD tv. I'm not really sure what the solution is other than getting a new tv. Does the PS3 support an SD option?

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited April 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    There's a clip of Big Boss and Miku doing this dance but youtube doesn't seem to have it.
    Surprising nobody, this is pretty popular because it's Hatsune Miku.

So yeah, there's a crap ton of videos out there for that song. Real life, other games, a bunch of stuff. Japan loves their Miku. In fact a lot of the El Shaddai videos I find are related to Miku in some way.

Oh wait I need to make this post related to El Shaddai. I can't just talk about Miku. So have... another video related to Miku in some way I'm sure.

Playing my trump card.

Pause at random points for true enjoyment.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    How are they getting the character models, etc, for a game that isn't even out yet?

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited April 2011
    I think they just used the original trailer and got all the angles for the characters, then remade them in the program used for all the videos. They aren't really complex character designs. Enoch is just a guy in white armor and Lucifer is just a guy in black clothing.

Oh I forgot to say one thing about the demo. The pause noise is the finger snap. Wonderful.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    So unfortunately, I'm running out of videos to post that aren't just music videos with the characters.

Luckily I'm just running out and I'm not actually out yet.

Gilder on
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully the early buzz contributes to sales, people who make games like this and Okami deserve to keep making them.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully the early buzz contributes to sales, people who make games like this and Okami deserve to keep making them.

Maybe I'm alone here, but the demo was pretty shitty. Crude action, poor 3D platforming. The 2.5D sequences were pretty, but nothing to write home about.

CygnusZ on
    edited May 2011
    It is pretty unique though, at least I thought so.

So, real quick. I just got Okami...

ohmygodthisgameissofugginbeautifulmyeyesaregonnaexplode.

*Ahem*

FYI, the game is out in Japan. Youtube clips are being taken down but there are a few spoiler summaries out already. Mostly about the bosses and stages.

Edit:

There's a JustinTV stream by Redsungamer. I probably won't watch more than the first ten minutes or so.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Coming out in America on July 26th and a new trailer! I haven't heard a lot about this game until now, but I enjoy myself a hot cup of Christian mythology and this just plain looks gorgeous.

Igpx407 on
    edited June 2011
    Damn server errors.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited June 2011
    Sweet, a lot sooner than expected.

"You sure that's enough armor?"

Meme transition sucessful.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited June 2011
    I never say this, but I really hope they include the japanese voices. That use of "Enoch" at the end gives me hope. I can't play this without the original voices now after I've grown so accustomed to them.

Gilder on
    edited June 2011
    Dub sounds pretty mediocre. I guess that is a step up for Ignition.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    English demo is up on 360. I tried it last night. It's the same as the JP demo, except with english voices and text. However you can go into options and switch the voices to japanese, so I think that confirms them for the full game.

It's as if Lady Gaga made an Xbox 360 demo~:whistle:

Gilder on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How are the english VA's?

Mattakuevan on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From the little we hear in the demo, I found them to be pretty good and fit the overall aesthetic of the game.

I know it's simple, the battle system and such, but I really enjoyed the demo. The wild and stylized visuals with the streamlined gameplay reminds me a lot of PoP08 which I really enjoyed. I'll definitely be picking this up; but likely not at launch for full price. I have a feeling this is one of those titles that will be at $19.99 or less in a month.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was really turned off by this demo. The combat felt really awkward and clunky - difficult to aim attacks where I wanted, few defensive options, and tough to see when an enemy is going to attack. Enemies also seemed to take about forty or fifty hits to kill, which seems ludicrous. And that isn't helped by the tedious necessity of purifying your weapon every so often so that it still does damage.

Beautiful game but really janky gameplay. And the plot/atmosphere seems like the kind of vague mash of allusions and absence of exposition to create the illusion of profundity that is typical of Japanese games that are poorly written and then poorly localized. Could be just the demo but judging by how weird this game is, probably not.

Evil Multifarious on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hate the word janky and wish people would stop using it. It is completely non-descriptive and not useful for explaining to someone why something is good or bad.

I had never even heard the word until Giantbomb started saying it in their quick looks all the damn time, and now everyone says it like it's a given.

/pedant

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Janky conveys a sense of unevenness, crudity or unfinishedness. It has a phonetic similarity to "jerk," "clank," etc, but also "stank," "dank," "wank" and so on. A game that is janky is one that feels wrong, that doesn't control well or properly or as expected, that is jarring or awkward for the player.

Evil Multifarious on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Your post is janky

NeuralFizz on
    edited June 2011
    The main thing about combat in this game is that you cannot interrupt enemies while they are performing attacks. You MUST dodge/block and wait for an opening. Once you wrap your head around that, battles will become much easier.

manwiththemachinegun on