As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Leicester (U.K.)

DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

I'm starting to panic a bit, as the wheels are already in motion. I'm going to Leicester for school for a few years and I'm leaving a week tomorrow. I still haven't found a place to live yet, as my wife and I are bringing our two dogs, and the town seems wholly unfriendly towards pets. Does anyone have any suggestions here? Does anyone know of any lettings agents that have pet friendly rentals? I've had pets all my life here (in Canada) so I wasn't really expecting this kind of resistance towards bringing them over.

Thanks!

Dissociater on

• Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good luck with the move.

(1) Letting agents - When you rent, most landlords do not allow pets or smoking in properties. The letting agents may be able to advise of any pet friendly properties they have got listed. My own rented place said "no pets" but the landlord was actually amenable to us having them, as long as we committed to having the apartment professionally cleaned (at a large cost) at the end of the tenancy. This is an option you might be able to explore. It doesn't hurt to ask "can we bring dogs if we agree to use a pro cleaning company to remove all hairs etc".

Check this out...

(2) Bringing pets - you didnt mention it so I am presuming that you have done all paperwork etc, and have your pets chipped/immunised, so that they can travel? There are strict rules about bringing animals into the UK. Unless they have pet passports, they would have to go into quarantine for a period of time before being allowed to join you. My gf moved here from Vancpuver and wanted to bring a cat with her but the paperwork and cost was a bit prohibitive at the time.

(3) Leicester - Hmm. I live in Worcester which isn't too far away (both cities are in the midlands) but I've never actually been there. I believe it has a high proportion of immigrants (think Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims) and it doesn't have a bad reputation at all. The only thing I know about Leicester is that it's the home of Walkers Crisps which every Brit will tell you is the best brand of chips/crisps ever :)

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the info cmsamo. I didn't think of mentioning I'd be willing to use a cleaning service upon the end of the lease. I'll make sure to mention that from now on.

We've already started all the paper work and the 6 month process towards bringing them without having to go through quarantine. This is part of what is stressing me out, we've already committed a lot of time and money towards bringing them and didn't really think we'd meet this much resistance to actually finding a place to live.

Also, I'll make sure to check out Walkers Crisps ;)

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So I decided to just reuse this old topic instead of creating a new one.

But I have a new question: What do I need in terms of adapters for electronics? I'm bringing a few things:

1) PS3. From what I understand, the powersupply can handle both AC and DC power, so all I should need is the right kind of wire, correct? Or barring that, a small adapter (Which I already have).

2) Sony Laptop. Most of my concerns are about the laptop. Since the laptop's power cord is already an AC to DC adapter, would I be in trouble using a universal adapter? We have one of those small adapters, the kind that doesn't actually do anything with the electricity, just lets your North american stuff fit in the UK (or anywhere in Europe) stuff.

3) Nintendo DS. Same question, really as the laptop

Also, are there any decent and reputable electronic stores in the UK I should be made aware of?

Thanks!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In the UK we use 230V AC power.

I think America and Canada is 120V.

You want to check that your power supplies are rated to handle 230V as well as the 120V they are used to. It should be on the label somewhere and most are as far as I know. If so you just plug them in through a wire/adapter.

It should say something like "100-240V 50-60hz AC". This means 100-240V is all good.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Voltage Adaptor: http://www.threedoubleyou.com/convertpower.htm

You'll want the first one mentioned on the page. If your devices aren't rated for 230v then you'll probably want one of these for your PS3 and Laptop. At £9 it might be worth getting two to be on the safe side anyway.

If you want a retail store then I'd highly recommend Maplin, they stock a massive range of electronic stuff. Otherwise just have a look online.

Keep in mind that PS3s are region free for games but not for Bluray. Some blurays are region free so you'll be able to buy them here and use them on your machine, others are locked and these won't work.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Seconding Maplins for electronics stuff, they've usually got a good selection of all the stuff you'll want, and a few things to geek over. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the info guys! Flight leaves tonight!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Where do you fly in to? Good luck!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woah, didn't know you were skipping town!

Have a good time in the UK Diss! See you in a few years! :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Where do you fly in to? Good luck!

Already here! Flew into Gatwick, wasn't too bad.

Yeah Sharp, see you in a few years! One of the few things I kept were my minis, so I'll have to finish them when I get back.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Once again bringing this topic back.

Does anyone know much about shipping heavy objects overseas? Specifically I've left my heavy home-built Desktop PC in Canada.

I'm a bit torn because I spent near $2000 buying all the parts (including the monitor), and I'm here in the UK for at least 3 years. It seems shipping is very expensive, but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my purchase.

Does anyone know any reliable and hopefully inexpensive ways to get a PC shipped from Canada to the UK?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Once again bringing this topic back.

Does anyone know much about shipping heavy objects overseas? Specifically I've left my heavy home-built Desktop PC in Canada.

I'm a bit torn because I spent near $2000 buying all the parts (including the monitor), and I'm here in the UK for at least 3 years. It seems shipping is very expensive, but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my purchase.

Does anyone know any reliable and hopefully inexpensive ways to get a PC shipped from Canada to the UK?

I think you might want to check out some expat forums for this kind of thing, or ring around and get some quotes.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!