As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Radeon 4870 Grey Screen of Death

RohanRohan Registered User regular
I've had this problem for several months now, and nothing ever seems to fix it. Whenever I exit out of a Flash video, say closing the window while it's still playing in YouTube, or closing any program while it's playing a DVD (VLC, WMP, MPC, it doesn't matter), I suddenly get a screen full of grey strips, while the system has locked up entirely, and the only option is to hold down the power button. People tell me that ATi has solved this issue several driver releases ago, but I still suffer it. I have tried posting about this in a few forum now, but to no avail.

Someone mentioned that there could be a problem with the 2D clocks, but that's an issue with the 5xxx series and I'm not going to touch any of that. Besides, I have GPU Observer constantly running and the card never comes close to overheating. The system could sit idle on the desktop for days, or it could spend hours upon hours of intensive 3D gaming and be rock solid stable, with no overheating. I did mention a while back that I'd noticed a heat increase that I'd attributed to different driver releases, but this issue seems to have disappeared with the arrival of Catalyst 10.8.

The problem only ever happens when exiting out of a video - not when it's playing. No other time. Just exiting out of a video. I have installed each Catalyst release since the problem first appeared and none of them ever change anything. Someone suggested that I update the bios, that this worked for a few people, but Club3D, being the tools they are, of course have no updates (nor even their own driver releases). The one bios file anyone can find on the 'net is the bios that's already installed on the card. I thought it may have something to do with using dual monitors as the photographs show, but no dice.

A few days ago I completely uninstalled all ATi software, deleted any remaining folders and registry entries, and installed 10.8 afresh, and...? It's still there. I'm at the end of my tether here, I can't even go on YouTube without fear of my system crashing... so if anyone has any ideas about this, I'd love to hear them.

DSCF0754-1.jpg

DSCF0753-1.jpg

DSCF0752-1.jpg

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
Rohan on