Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

French grammar

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so I'm supposed to identify where each person comes from. For example, "Les amies Fumiko et Keiko sont de Tokyo." The response should be, in French, "They are Japanese." So I entered "Elles sont japonaise" and it came back incorrect. For male counterparts, I used "Ils sont ___", which is also incorrect. However, singular forms seem to be correct, as in "Il est ____".

Can anyone help me? I'm not getting why this is incorrect.

Zombiemambo on
JKKaAGp.png

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Include an 's' after 'japonaise' since it's plural.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    god, is that really my problem? I wasn't sure if that was the issue. thanks!

JKKaAGp.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know why the "ils" example didn't work since you can't add an s to the masculine adjective. I suppose I do not know enough french to understand the rules in play here, sorry for misleading!

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I don't know why the "ils" example didn't work since you can't add an s to the masculine adjective. I suppose I do not know enough french to understand the rules in play here, sorry for misleading!

in those cases, none of the adjectives ended in an 's'. Somehow I didn't realize that nationality is an adjective. :x Thanks again for the help! Lock whenever.

JKKaAGp.png
  • EshEsh Sunshine! Kittens! Rainbows! Smiles! Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

in those cases, none of the adjectives ended in an 's'. Somehow I didn't realize that nationality is an adjective. :x Thanks again for the help! Lock whenever.

I'm a French major in University right now and I don't know why "Ils sont japonais" would be wrong. You didn't accidentally capitalize "japonais" did you?

"At first he thought it might be a natural occurrence - maybe a rabbit. But upon closer inspection, it was clear a knife had been used. And rabbits don't carry knives."
  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »

I'm a French major in University right now and I don't know why "Ils sont japonais" would be wrong. You didn't accidentally capitalize "japonais" did you?

Or maybe he wrote Ils sont japonaise

You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.