As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So I have a butternut squash

EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I was going to make a soup with it, but turns I have no blender. Any other things I can do with it? It's a very healthy specimen of a squash.

EskimoDave on

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/garlicky-baked-butternut-squash/Detail.aspx

Or just bake it with some butter and brown sugar.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    butternut pumpkin is a magnificent mate for feta cheese and pine nuts. those three together will do anything: salads. risottos. pizza. just roast it or dice it up and sautee it and away you go

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can still make soup with it even without a blender.

If you roast the squash (cut into chunks, drizzle of olive oil, oven for around half an hour) it will become soft and squishy and will make a good soup (unless you like your soups ultra smooth without any hint of the original shape of the ingredients).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    we have a recipe for butternut squash sausage and green beans with feta that is all sauteed etc.

but you can be like Bob and still make soup, just mash it up witha potato masher

or use a cheese shredder

or dice it really small

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Peel, chunk, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin, curry powder, cayenne/chipotle powder and a little nutmeg/cinnamon if you have them on hand, roast at 400 degF for 40 min (turning occasionally).

Add one or two tablespoons of butter, mash, and consume mass quantities.

Usagi on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like butternut squash either baked or mashed, with just a little bit of butter and brown sugar. They usually have enough flavor and moisture that you don't need to add much to it. Such an easy and yummy vegetable. Same goes for acorn squash, though I prefer butternut.

To bake, cut it in half and bake face down on a baking tray for 30 minutes at 300-350. Then turn the halves so they are face up, add a little butter and brown sugar and bake for another 30 minutes. They will release moisture, so make sure the tray has a lip, or use foil and make a lip with the edges.

For mashed, I bake them face down for 30 minutes at 350, maybe longer depending on how big the squash is. Then gut it into a casserole dish, add butter and brown sugar, mash, and bake it another 15-20 minutes.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have made butternut squash curry

Dice the squash

Cook some onions in butter until they soften along with curry spices (either curry powder, or cumin, turmeric, coriander, etc) and then add some garlic and the squash. cook for a bit, then add some liquid (stock of some kind usually) and heat for a while, then add some cream to thicken over low heat

serve over rice

Arch on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cut it into cubes, coat it with olive oil, honey, cinnamon and ginger. Roast it.

If you're more daring: skip the roasting and make a risotto instead.

SammyF on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the KISS method.

PEel it, cut it in half length wise, scoop out the string and seeds, boil until tender. Then, mash up with butter and salt until the consistency you like.

Noquar on