As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [Chat] On the Block

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    fuck games with planned DLCs

Like Mafia 2.... that shit has been out a month and there's already new content up on Steam

why could that not of been included at launch? :\

because then they almost might as well not have bothered

I don't get what you mean....

Tav on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    3.3 liters of beer still isn't 'a little'

I was joking

but it's not like, huge amounts of beer either

it's not going to give you alcohol poisoning but if you drink over 110 oz of beer and it's not spread out over a day, it's not 'a little bit'. i imagine the average 180 lb guy couldn't drive after that.

Organichu on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What bothers me more than games with planned dlc's is games that have updates on launch day, meaning they specifically shipped a broken game to stores just to make a release date so that they can have the extra time they need to make it work.

Yeah, this is why I don't mind the Blazblue DLC or the MNC DLC.

Like in MNC they launched the game, then set down, watched the community, and then started working on the DLC. PAX was the first time anyone got to play or see the new map that will be coming with the first DLC.

With Blazblue they have obviously been paying attention to the tournament crowd with the patches they have planned and the DLC characters are characters that they are currently having people play in live tests while they continue to balance them etc.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010

I was joking

Well, right but it's certainly enough to put someone over the legal limit if you're talking about that much in 2-3 hours, at least in the states.

You shouldn't drink and drive anyway.

Under any conditions.

Ever.

Tav on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Will hit the nail on the head with mmos. Even though they are buggy at release it is truly the only way you are going to run through the low level dungeons and get a sense of exploration and not, lets get this done quick I gotta farm it on my 100th alt for blah blah. Going to have a friend at max level help us rape the place.

There is that problem too, but honestly I'd rather let a game cook then jump in at launch deal with buggy broken laggy shit that you just have promises will work later.

Though I'm seriously thinking of trying Tera at launch because I haven't done that with a korean game and I heard koreans do a lot of interesting things, like eat my dog, wait shit.

o god korean games

hope you like grinding!

I thought the same, but one of the devs said they are specifically lowering exp requirements from the korean launch for the none dog eaters of the world. So probably like still kind of grindy, but with action combat it'll be more like an Arpg then push button boring in theory.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010

I was joking

it's not going to give you alcohol poisoning but if you drink over 110 oz of beer and it's not spread out over a day, it's not 'a little bit'. i imagine the average 180 lb guy couldn't drive after that.

How well you can drive should not be a measure of how drunk you are. Jesus. That is the stupidest thing.

Tav on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In all fairness Inq, MNC maps don't really have a huge impact on me. I can't really distinguish one from another. Now if they added a new class or weapon or something I'd be like "yeah!" but a new place to run and jump doesn't do it, unless the new map has like a labyrinth or gauntlet or something.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I've gotten to the point where I drink O'Douls simply so that people don't feel guilty drinking around me.

if i don't have the money to drink (and usually i don't want to drink anyway) i usually get root beer

I will often get soft drinks. On the rare occasions when I'm getting the drinks at a club they usually don't charge me for it. So my cost just ends up being the tip. But when you're being sober because of a history of issues with alcohol it tends to freak people out a lot more then just being broke.

Thomamelas on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's my birthday tomorrow!

What did you young whippersnappers get me to toast my thirty-fifth glorious year on this planet?

I called Patrick and he gave me the low down on some sweet Life Insurance.

You should be receiving an informative mailer soon.

LaOs on
    edited September 2010
    The wife requires me to play through the dead rising prequel this weekend, hopefully its not too awful.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Amateur, why do you think there's bad things happening between me and Mori?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    I.. I'm sorry, I didn't understand anything of that second part. I stumbled upon Burial completely by accident (as I've done with 90% of my music) and like their sound. Generally I like electronica stuff, wouldn't know about the difference between garagey or whatnot.

Read: I am fucking terrible at understanding genres and frequently invent my own which correspond with nobody else.

I'd love to hear anything else you've got to recommend though :P

Gotcha. Well, Burial had a huge and immediate impact on dubstep, because he brought that sort of crackly ambient approach to production that brings to mind some mid-90s minimal techno stuff on the Basic Channel record label, albeit redone in a sort of dubstep/garage mode.

Garage is a weird term in that it has been passed around through really different-sounding genres over the years, but a lot of what's going on is coming out of / reacting to classic late 90s/early 00s UK garage -- kind of the brit response to jungle and american R & B -- so kind of fidgety roboty drums with soulful diva type vocals all chopped up and pitch shifted.

So the long story short is that if you like Burial, you have a grand buffet of music to pick over. There are things which drift towards the "empty crackly melancholy" end of the sound, but also things which move back to focus on the "sad female singer" end.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mwL6R-Z1e4

I love this because it starts out like a 1994 happy breakbeat throwback (the "take me higher!" part), then suddenly the bass drops and it totally changes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkzcm7ubQg

desc on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I've gotten to the point where I drink O'Douls simply so that people don't feel guilty drinking around me.

if i don't have the money to drink (and usually i don't want to drink anyway) i usually get root beer

I will often get soft drinks. On the rare occasions when I'm getting the drinks at a club they usually don't charge me for it. So my cost just ends up being the tip. But when you're being sober because of a history of issues with alcohol it tends to freak people out a lot more then just being broke.

do you find it difficult or tedious to be around drunk people?

i generally don't like being around drunk people if i'm not drinking.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Weakness: As a team, every single player on this roster fucking sucks

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    In all fairness Inq, MNC maps don't really have a huge impact on me. I can't really distinguish one from another. Now if they added a new class or weapon or something I'd be like "yeah!" but a new place to run and jump doesn't do it, unless the new map has like a labyrinth or gauntlet or something.

Huh, personally the maps make a huge deal for me, I have to employ entirely different tactics for some of them. The new map is easily quite different because there is only one central lane that both bot spawns move down together.

And there might be other things coming with the DLC, the map is the only for sure known thing.

Inquisitor on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

I don't want to get into details, it's my personal opinion and shouldn't affect your lives together in the slightest. I think it might be in better taste to discuss what is purchased for whom and for how much, in an online relationship, in private.

Again, simply my thought on the subject. We can let it go here.

amateurhour on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The wife requires me to play through the dead rising prequel this weekend, hopefully its not too awful.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its cheap and relatively easy to get into, the controls are kind of wonky (I immediately wanted access to a dodge button and a sprint button), but once you figure out the game and realize its essentially a tongue-in-cheek survival horror, its easier to appreciate.

"Gameplay" is a hard thing to define. DR2 doesn't control particularly well, so maybe that gameplay is "bad," but it also lets you attach a car battery to a rake in order to electrocute hordes of zombies, which is incredibly fun even if you control more like a Resident Evil character than a Devil May Cry one.

I'll buy the full game if co-op works well and a few of my friends pick it up. $60 to play a videogame where we wear dresses and kill zombies with wheelchair-mounted-chainsaws is ok by me.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »
    I.. I'm sorry, I didn't understand anything of that second part. I stumbled upon Burial completely by accident (as I've done with 90% of my music) and like their sound. Generally I like electronica stuff, wouldn't know about the difference between garagey or whatnot.

Read: I am fucking terrible at understanding genres and frequently invent my own which correspond with nobody else.

I'd love to hear anything else you've got to recommend though :P

Gotcha. Well, Burial had a huge and immediate impact on dubstep, because he brought that sort of crackly ambient approach to production that brings to mind some mid-90s minimal techno stuff on the Basic Channel record label, albeit redone in a sort of dubstep/garage mode.

Garage is a weird term in that it has been passed around through really different-sounding genres over the years, but a lot of what's going on is coming out of / reacting to classic late 90s/early 00s UK garage -- kind of the brit response to jungle and american R & B -- so kind of fidgety roboty drums with soulful diva type vocals all chopped up and pitch shifted.

So the long story short is that if you like Burial, you have a grand buffet of music to pick over. There are things which drift towards the "empty crackly melancholy" end of the sound, but also things which move back to focus on the "sad female singer" end.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mwL6R-Z1e4

I love this because it starts out like a 1994 happy breakbeat throwback (the "take me higher!" part), then suddenly the bass drops and it totally changes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkzcm7ubQg

Oh man, I've heard that Doctor P song before. It's great! I think I'm going to be obliged to start doing some reading on wikipedia about the music I like..

Daxon on
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Huh, personally the maps make a huge deal for me, I have to employ entirely different tactics for some of them. The new map is easily quite different because there is only one central lane that both bot spawns move down together.

And there might be other things coming with the DLC, the map is the only for sure known thing.

::shrug:: I guess I'm just the type to pick up a map and it's innermost secrets before I ever learn moves or weapons. It's the way I play. So maps are important, but they're the easiest thing for me to adjust to as well, so they don't mean as much in the long run.

amateurhour on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I already have Life Insurance, Laos. If I cark it anytime soon the missus is quids in.

Being sober around drunk people is rubbish, unless you're a pickpocket. Or a mugger, I guess.

Bogart on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it might be in better taste to discuss what is purchased for whom and for how much, in an online relationship, in private.
    pffffffffffhahahahahahahahahahaha

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Its cheap and relatively easy to get into, the controls are kind of wonky (I immediately wanted access to a dodge button and a sprint button), but once you figure out the game and realize its essentially a tongue-in-cheek survival horror, its easier to appreciate.

"Gameplay" is a hard thing to define. DR2 doesn't control particularly well, so maybe that gameplay is "bad," but it also lets you attach a car battery to a rake in order to electrocute hordes of zombies, which is incredibly fun even if you control more like a Resident Evil character than a Devil May Cry one.

I'll buy the full game if co-op works well and a few of my friends pick it up. $60 to play a videogame where we wear dresses and kill zombies with wheelchair-mounted-chainsaws is ok by me.

I've got 400 points left over from my gift card after buying Monday Night Combat, I can't decide if I want to get the case zero or add 400 points and get scott pilgrim.

amateurhour on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i didn't much like Dead Rising.

Zombies don't really scare me or do much for me, I guess.

MikeMan on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    someone play sc2 with me!!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    That's... nice I guess. It isn't really what I was talking about though.

i mean i guess i am saying that i think it's okay to dislike pot/ look down on potheads even if you drink alcohol.

i guess in the same way that it's okay to be a pothead and still look down on, like, glueheads or tweakers

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

I don't want to get into details, it's my personal opinion and shouldn't affect your lives together in the slightest. I think it might be in better taste to discuss what is purchased for whom and for how much, in an online relationship, in private.

Again, simply my thought on the subject. We can let it go here.

Ookay.

Also, I am now really excited about LOTRO. I can't wait to get my hands on all the professions.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

do you find it difficult or tedious to be around drunk people?

i generally don't like being around drunk people if i'm not drinking.

It's not my favorite thing in the world. I mean if it's just a little buzz then they aren't likely to annoy me. If they are falling down drunk, that tends to annoy me. And it depends quite a bit of the kind of drunk they are. The quiet ones who get tighter? Don't bother me. The loud obnoxious ones do drive me nuts. If I have to take care of them afterward then I sometimes vent me frustration in odd ways. For instance if my girlfriend gets sloppy drunk then she'll end up either in her room or my apartment. Either place requires climbing stairs to get there. So in a fireman carry is how she gets up those stairs. She doesn't make a habit of it though. And she makes it up to me.

But the short answer is, a little.

Thomamelas on
    edited September 2010
    i didn't much like Dead Rising.

Zombies don't really scare me or do much for me, I guess.

i didn't much care for it either

and the gameplay/ UI was just super frustrating. Sega seems to have a history of making their games unpleasant to play.

Frankie liked it, though, because she's mad for zombies

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm immediatly skeptical about notions of who it is "okay" to look down upon.

Silas Brown on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Potheads > drunks

I dislike both but fuck drunks

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, I've heard that Doctor P song before. It's great! I think I'm going to be obliged to start doing some reading on wikipedia about the music I like..

yesss that Doctor P song is delicious candy

Also, I would like to big up www.boomkat.com for stumbling across new random stuff in that vein and buying mp3s, even if you have to convert everything into limey-dollars.

Oh yeah, here's a song that is more the sing-y garage end of stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkCFfMay9U4

desc on
    edited September 2010
    Hey Preach, I just watched a trailer for Tera.

It looks pretty kinetic and fun.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    That's... nice I guess. It isn't really what I was talking about though.

i mean i guess i am saying that i think it's okay to dislike pot/ look down on potheads even if you drink alcohol.

i guess in the same way that it's okay to be a pothead and still look down on, like, glueheads or tweakers

you know will's old when he says "glueheads"

He's like the secretary from Ferris Bueller.

amateurhour on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've got 400 points left over from my gift card after buying Monday Night Combat, I can't decide if I want to get the case zero or add 400 points and get scott pilgrim.

If you enjoy River City Ransom and regularly have 1-3 people who will play 360 games with you (in person, not online) Scott Pilgrim is pretty much the best thing ever. Its easily worth 800 points if you have any appreciation for classic brawlers.

Case Zero is also pretty good, and for $5 its hard to go wrong with a game that lasts 3-5 hours, but its still very much a prequel / demo, even if its good enough to pay $5 for.

Unless you're explicitly against Scott Pilgrim City Ransom, I think that's the better purchase. Both are worth the price of admission, so if you have an extra $5 to spare I'd just get both.

This summer has been crazy for Arcade games. So much good stuff.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited September 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    I already have Life Insurance, Laos. If I cark it anytime soon the missus is quids in.

Being sober around drunk people is rubbish, unless you're a pickpocket. Or a mugger, I guess.

or a date rapist

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

It's okay to look down on Mazzy and VH.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010
    Hey Preach, I just watched a trailer for Tera.

It looks pretty kinetic and fun.

Well if you are thinking of playing when it comes out we can roll same server. I really haven't played a korean mmo, and this one looks like they are americanizing it. We'll see, reviews impressions and shit, I think it launches in korea this year and america early next.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited September 2010
    Potato I didn't know it wasn't online. I don't have local friends that are into side brawlers at all. Bummer.

Also, My netflix queue is so big if it were my dick my dick would be peter north's dick.

So much stuff came out the last two weeks.

amateurhour on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's okay to look down on Mazzy and VH.

But I'm the same height as them. :(

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.