As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [Chat] On the Block

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My coworker is always bragging about how late he goes to bed.

I suspect he'd be more pleasant if he got enough sleep.

Silas Brown on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mescaline just sounds more romantic and old-timey than any other drug I could think of. That's why I went with that. It sounds like the kind of thing Peter Lorre would take on the sly while he wasn't grassing up his hoodlum friends to Humphrey Bogart.

Laudanum

Hey, that's a good old-timey drug. Though it's more the kind of thing that a bespectacled quack would prescribe to Bette Davis while she had a breakdown.

isn't it another word for opium

and isn't opium baaaad shit

It is the tool of the evil Fu Manchu, the most inscrutable and devious member of that infernal race, the damned Chinee!

Bogart on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This salad got out of hand. It is vast. And involves everything. EVERYTHING.

Also, Brownies in the oven.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    guys I totally heard that nutmeg gets you so hiiigh

It does contain a few chemicals that can act as potent psychedelics.

Of course, it also contains alkaloids that will make you wish your stomach would just go ahead and bleed out your naval already, so...

from what i have read, the margin between "get high" and "destroy your kidneys" is razor thin in nutmeg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ludious wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    I once walked into a wall, thinking it was the door (which was in fact like half a meter further forward), whilst I was high.

It was fucking hilarious at the time and my friend and I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes.

Then again, I have recently (this summer) biked into a tree whilst drunk sustaining mild injuries and providing with another hilarious story.

that would be called a DUI here in the states

Will I be summarily executed by [chat] now?

Daxon on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One time I was so high on crack that I wanted more crack.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Mescaline just sounds more romantic and old-timey than any other drug I could think of. That's why I went with that. It sounds like the kind of thing Peter Lorre would take on the sly while he wasn't grassing up his hoodlum friends to Humphrey Bogart.

Laudanum

Seriously, TM, you could log in as me and post exactly the same stuff you already do, and it would be fine.

Also can you guys imagine talking to Humphrey Bogart on mescaline? Wow.

Man, that would be a story.

Yes, it was basically alcohol, herbs and powdered opium.

Thomamelas on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If he's the type of person who brags about going to bed late I imagine he would be insufferable regardless of how much sleep he actually got.

Inquisitor on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Laudanum

Hey, that's a good old-timey drug. Though it's more the kind of thing that a bespectacled quack would prescribe to Bette Davis while she had a breakdown.

It's a tincture of opium and alcohol that writers and other miscreants used to abuse.

Opium is morphine (baaad but useful) and a few other chemicals such as codeine (like morphine jr.) and thebaine (curiously, mitigates the respiratory depressant effects of morphine which makes one less likely to die from overdose).

TL DR on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Is he eight? That was a big deal when I was eight.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    As Harry Hill once said, the thing about heroin is that it's very moreish.

Bogart on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I go to bed at 8AM sometimes bitches.

Sarksus on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Moreish: the word users of addictive drugs use to disassociate themselves from the concept of addiction.

TL DR on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    from what i hear the most damning generalization you can make about potheads is that they are boring, boring people

yeah

it also tends to destroy lives in kind of a slow-motion sort of way.

i guess part of my beef is that, while booze culture isn't always wonderful, it generally has a pretty strong admonition against letting drinking take over one's life. pot culture almost celebrates the idea of letting pot take over one's life, i guess maybe because it's a young or underground subculture or whatever.

i mean, if you pick up the various periodicals surrounding booze - Wine Snob or Beer Afficianado or whatever, they tend to want to class drinking with living a glamorous high life. Maybe this is kind of irresponsible in its own way, but it's definitely not celebrating the 12-pack of MGD per night bro or the stinking alcoholic in the gutter. High Times, on the other hand, tends to celebrate hemp-wearing dropouts.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Laudanum

It's a tincture of opium and alcohol that writers and other miscreants used to abuse.

Opium is morphine (baaad but useful) and a few other chemicals such as codeine (like morphine jr.) and thebaine (curiously, mitigates the respiratory depressant effects of morphine which makes one less likely to die from overdose).

It's actually still available. It still tends to be the treatment of choice for babies born to mothers who are heroin addicts.

Thomamelas on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BRASIL??!?!?!?!?!!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been up since 4:30 AM, yesterday.

No really, I have been. This sucks. I want to go to sleep. Stupid science.

Galahad on
    edited September 2010

Laudanum

Laudanum: she'll finally take your advice to chill the fuck out already

TL DR on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

physically it's really not so dangerous if taken in sane amounts. Trouble is the risk stays the same but desire to do more and more gets worse.

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    from what i hear the most damning generalization you can make about potheads is that they are boring, boring people

yeah

i guess part of my beef is that, while booze culture isn't always wonderful, it generally has a pretty strong admonition against letting drinking take over one's life. pot culture almost celebrates the idea of letting pot take over one's life, i guess maybe because it's a young or underground subculture or whatever.

i mean, if you pick up the various periodicals surrounding booze - Wine Snob or Beer Afficianado or whatever, they tend to want to class drinking with living a glamorous high life. Maybe this is kind of irresponsible in its own way, but it's definitely not celebrating the 12-pack of MGS per night bro or the stinking alcoholic in the gutter. High Times, on the other hand, tends to celebrate hemp-wearing dropouts.

Being an alcoholic is ok as long as you drink good shit and wear a bowtie?

nexuscrawler on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There was a time, that [chat] saw firsthand, where I smoked weed every night for 3 months. That was a bleak 3 months. Not that I'm less depressed now, but I'm more in control.

You're doing much better now <3<3<3

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    ...and rescission letter sent.

Doc on
    edited September 2010
    sorry Will your comment reeks of classism

when hemp smoking dropouts do it its an addiction

when rich yuppies do it it's a "lifestyle"

nexuscrawler on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    My entire point is that pot is not "worse" than alcohol by any conceivable standard you choose to examine: it is safer, it is less addictive, it is healthier, it doesn't make people act like douchebags or do things they regret, etc. So for someone who regularly binges on alcohol to look down on a pothead is hypocritical, yeah. It is perfectly fine to not wish to associate with potheads just as it is perfectly fine to not wish to associate with alcoholics. But my point is something being legal does not make it safer or healthier, and those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

For someone who does neither to look down on both is I guess unfortunately judgmental, but doesn't make them a hypocrite.

i guess what i'm suggesting is that there are reasonable standards besides how dangerous or harmful a drug is.
    "How much you want to be around someone" is not a reasonable standard for a moral judgment. It's a reasonable standard for how much you want to be around them, though.

MikeMan on
    edited September 2010
    I think Will was trying to say that those alcohol magazines say alcoholism is bad.

Like, the wine magazine probably says "Enjoy a glass of X wine with Y type of steak" but it doesn't say "Buy this wine bottle because it's great for chugging"

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010

yeah

i mean, if you pick up the various periodicals surrounding booze - Wine Snob or Beer Afficianado or whatever, they tend to want to class drinking with living a glamorous high life. Maybe this is kind of irresponsible in its own way, but it's definitely not celebrating the 12-pack of MGD per night bro or the stinking alcoholic in the gutter. High Times, on the other hand, tends to celebrate hemp-wearing dropouts.

Can you name one? How many High Times have you read? I assert that the parallels between the frat-bro binge drinker and the trustafarian 420-all-day-every-day smoker versus your oenophile or Podly and a guy in a suit and tie picking up his kindbud on the way home from the office make this point moot.

TL DR on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We're having a large argument about the criminalization of drugs

It's quite amusing

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think Will was trying to say that those alcohol magazines say alcoholism is bad.

Like, the wine magazine probably says "Enjoy a glass of X wine with Y type of steak" but it doesn't say "Buy this wine bottle because it's great for chugging"

You need to read better magazines that do say that.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yes. Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Seriously? Alcohol industry? Can I even tell you how many straight up alcoholics with a big budget I interact with? Everyone knows dudes are alcoholics but they buy expensive scotch so it means they're enthusiasts and connoisseurs.

desc on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zen is amused by everything.

Sarksus on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i do see the slow motion destruction thing. its a subtle enough distortion that one might find it quite easy to live for some time with a skewed outlook.

that being said. its much safer than alcohol and doesn't make you stupid in quite the same way.

i love them both. could do without the hangovers, but thats an issue of moderation and a vanquished tolerance.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited September 2010
    I don't like to read periodicals that tell me that inducing vomiting within myself is a good idea.

Inquisitor on
    edited September 2010

i mean, if you pick up the various periodicals surrounding booze - Wine Snob or Beer Afficianado or whatever, they tend to want to class drinking with living a glamorous high life. Maybe this is kind of irresponsible in its own way, but it's definitely not celebrating the 12-pack of MGS per night bro or the stinking alcoholic in the gutter. High Times, on the other hand, tends to celebrate hemp-wearing dropouts.

being an addict isn't okay

but "alcohol culture" such as it is, does not generally endorse alcoholism - especially the kind of addiction that degrades ones' lifestyle

pot culture, on the other hand, does seem to endorse socially dropping out and wearing around hempt tees and ridiculous knit hats.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

physically it's really not so dangerous if taken in sane amounts. Trouble is the risk stays the same but desire to do more and more gets worse.

Last year I lived with a girl who's parents are police officers. As such she's privy to some of the more disgusting things the justice system does.

For example, heroin addicts are often arrested, and sentenced to jail for x months. During this period of time they'd have a very hard time getting a hold of any heroin and so their tolerance to it is lowered, yet they still desire it.

Then when they get out of jail, they go back to their dealer. They buy their heroin and take as much as they did before jail but without the tolerance so they OD and then die.

The system is rigged for them to kill themselves, and nobody gives a shit.

Daxon on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    desc wrote: »

Yes. Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Seriously? Alcohol industry? Can I even tell you how many straight up alcoholics with a big budget I interact with? Everyone knows dudes are alcoholics but they buy expensive scotch so it means they're enthusiasts and connoisseurs.

critic-franklin.jpg

Silas Brown on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

Page 1: Box o Franzia.

Remaining pages blank. Second issue cancelled.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited September 2010
    I don't like to read periodicals that tell me that inducing vomiting within myself is a good idea.

No, no, you vomit outside yourself. Like in your bed. That's the best place.

Then you weep in shame as you sleep in your own filth.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

Page 1: Box o Franzia.

Remaining pages blank. Second issue cancelled.

i like your magazine and would like a subsciption

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    Also, Mori, since we're playing LOTRO, I'm going to go ahead and delete the data files for Borderlands to make space.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.