As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearing radio on landline phone

RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just moved into my new apartment last week (hurrah!) and found a killer deal with Telus for internet + digital phone. Everything is all well and good, but when I pick up the handset on my phone, I hear the radio. What radio station it is, I am not quite sure - though it sounds AM to me.

You can barely hear it under the dialtone, though I was put on hold earlier when I called my workplace and I could audibly hear what people on the radio were saying. It's not quite at the level where it's actively distracting but sometimes it's nice to actually hear nothing but the person you're trying to speak to.

I've done a bit of googling and I've read some expected responses - the phone line is just getting interference, or there's a faulty connection and your telecom has to fix it or whatever.

The call quality on my phone is CRISP - there is no actual call interference - but it echoes in that electronic sort of way that walkie talkies do, so if the problem is the phone (which was a cheap used GE handset I bought off craigslist), I don't mind getting rid of it. The background radio doesn't bother me too much, and if it's something Telus has to deal with I'm not even sure I would harass them about it, but if there's an easy fix, I'd really like to know.

StKbT.jpg
Rikushix on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    almost certainly it is because one of your neighbors is broadcasting their amateur radio at an illegal wattage. The solution is probably to get a better phone that likely has more shielding, or somehow get better shielded telephone wiring. That or try and find the neighbor and let the appropriate authorities know, not likely.

Is telnus a cable company? If that is the case then the interference is probably directly in the phone, because cable is well shielded.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are you sure its a digital phone line? Because it sounds to me like poor quality lines. At my parents house, you can always hear conversations in the back ground, because the lines are shit and other peoples calls bleed through.

Otherwise id say theres something messed up with the speaker in the handset, most likely one of the wires is tweaked slightly and is acting as a radio antenna. You could tear it apart and try and fix it but its probably easier to get another phone.

*edit* telus is a canadian phone company.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »

*edit* telus is a canadian phone company.

right, well I would wager then that either the phone needs better shielding or the wiring.

I would borrow a friends phone and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't then call the phone company and complain about their shitty service.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well I partially take back what I said about not knowing what radio station it is - it's DEFINITELY not someone broadcasting something, it's a public news station, I just don't know if it's news 1130 or Talk 980 or whatnot. I guess that's meaningless.

For the record when I depress the, uh, large button on the handset (the one that hangs up the call - the proper name is escaping me at the moment), the dial tone cuts out as it should, and then after about a second, the radio does too. I don't know if this means the phone is faulty or the phone line is.

I was given microfilters with my router package to hook up to my phone, to "reduce interference". I've hooked one up already.

I have one other phone jack in my apartment, but it's...rather inaccessible and in any case I have no need for the phone there. But it might tell me where the problem is.

Last thing. I have a spare phone cable, a really long one, so I might try switching that out with the present cable that is connecting my handset to the jack, but if you're right about telephone cables being well shielded then that might not be the issue anyhow.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Well I partially take back what I said about not knowing what radio station it is - it's DEFINITELY not someone broadcasting something, it's a public news station, I just don't know if it's news 1130 or Talk 980 or whatnot. I guess that's meaningless.

For the record when I depress the, uh, large button on the handset (the one that hangs up the call - the proper name is escaping me at the moment), the dial tone cuts out as it should, and then after about a second, the radio does too. I don't know if this means the phone is faulty or the phone line is.

I was given microfilters with my router package to hook up to my phone, to "reduce interference". I've hooked one up already.

I have one other phone jack in my apartment, but it's...rather inaccessible and in any case I have no need for the phone there. But it might tell me where the problem is.

Last thing. I have a spare phone cable, a really long one, so I might try switching that out with the present cable that is connecting my handset to the jack, but if you're right about telephone cables being well shielded then that might not be the issue anyhow.

No, telephone cables aren't particularly well shielded. I mean cable like cable tv cable. Coaxial.

Replacing the cable with a longer one will only make the cable a larger antenna.

Try replacing the phone with a friends. if that doesn't fix it, you aren't going to be able to fix it yourself, probably.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Rikushix wrote: »

No, telephone cables aren't particularly well shielded. I mean cable like cable tv cable. Coaxial.

Replacing the cable with a longer one will only make the cable a larger antenna.

Try replacing the phone with a friends. if that doesn't fix it, you aren't going to be able to fix it yourself, probably.

Oh, my mistake.

I should know all this, I used to major in computer and electrical engineering D:

I'll see what I can do with trying another one out.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg