As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Considering a Mac

BrymBrym Registered User regular
I'm in the market for a new computer, and I'm thinking about going for an iMac. I prefer the OS in general, and I can afford the Apple tax.

My only question is this: While I do most of my gaming on consoles, I do use my desktop for Blizzard games and Valve games. Any thoughts on how the iMac will perform for these applications? I'll probably go with the 3.2 Ghz 21.5" model.

Brym on

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Brym wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new computer, and I'm thinking about going for an iMac. I prefer the OS in general, and I can afford the Apple tax.

My only question is this: While I do most of my gaming on consoles, I do use my desktop for Blizzard games and Valve games. Any thoughts on how the iMac will perform for these applications? I'll probably go with the 3.2 Ghz 21.5" model.

I've got the entry-level 27" current model and I can run TF2 with just about everything maxed (minus AA, which I leave at 2x) perfectly at the display's native resolution.

This machine was a replacement by Apple for my mid-2008 model iMac, so if I had the choice I would have gotten the better video card, but being a replacement I had no option.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have run both Blizzard and Valve games on relatively high settings wthout any problems on my 24" iMac.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

I ended up picking one up today. I'm very impressed with the unboxing experience. There's something magical about a computer box with only a single cord inside. I'll post an update on how the games run too eventually.

Brym on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

I ended up picking one up today. I'm very impressed with the unboxing experience. There's something magical about a computer box with only a single cord inside. I'll post an update on how the games run too eventually.

They're going to run fine. I can do TF2 and Half Life 2 at full settings on my MacBook Pro with integrated video.

Esh on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

Keep in mind that if you want to use a headset with games you'll need a USB-based headset. Headsets that end with 3.5mm jacks won't work on the mac. (Or you could go Blueooth)

Also while I love the Magic Mouse it sucks for gaming, you'll need to get something nicer. Just about anything will work on the Mac so make sure you look into it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

Keep in mind that if you want to use a headset with games you'll need a USB-based headset. Headsets that end with 3.5mm jacks won't work on the mac. (Or you could go Blueooth)

Also while I love the Magic Mouse it sucks for gaming, you'll need to get something nicer. Just about anything will work on the Mac so make sure you look into it.

This version of the iMac does have 3.5mm jacks. So my headset mic works fine. I'm also keeping my old Logitech mouse and MS natural keyboard, of course. The keyboard that the iMac comes with is laptop-sized! Why you would package that with a desktop I'll never know.

Performance wise, the Valve games run great. Starcraft 2 runs a bit choppy on High settings at native resolution, but great on medium. I might try tweaking it to a mix of the two. Anyways, it does what I need it to.

Brym on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This version of the iMac does have 3.5mm jacks. So my headset mic works fine.
    Did you test it?

Because Macs don't have amplified microphone jacks, rather a line-in. If you plugged a regular computer microphone into it, it wouldn't work (or be extremely quiet).

If you tried the headset, I wager that the microphone defaulted to the built-in one.

Faricazy on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

This version of the iMac does have 3.5mm jacks. So my headset mic works fine. I'm also keeping my old Logitech mouse and MS natural keyboard, of course. The keyboard that the iMac comes with is laptop-sized! Why you would package that with a desktop I'll never know.

Performance wise, the Valve games run great. Starcraft 2 runs a bit choppy on High settings at native resolution, but great on medium. I might try tweaking it to a mix of the two. Anyways, it does what I need it to.

i believe upon purchase of the imac you can choose either the keyboard with or without numpad addition

which isn't really the point, but, yeah. i really like my apple keyboard!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited September 2010
    Thanks.

You'll squeeze a bit more performance out of SCII via future patches and driver updates.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    This version of the iMac does have 3.5mm jacks. So my headset mic works fine.
    Did you test it?

Because Macs don't have amplified microphone jacks, rather a line-in. If you plugged a regular computer microphone into it, it wouldn't work (or be extremely quiet).

If you tried the headset, I wager that the microphone defaulted to the built-in one.

You're right! It was using the internal mic. The headset mic doesn't work through the line-in.

Brym on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh. I was going to call Faricazy crazy until I saw those last couple posts. Interesting... So would there be a way to boost the microphone volume before going into the Line In port?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    You'll need something like an iMic..

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of those [USB sound card] came with my Steelseries 5Hv2 headset. It works quite well on my MBP with Ventrilo. I still don't understand Apple's reasoning for using a line-in vs. a standard mic jack, but I guess I use my MBP for "nonstandard" purposes......

Mugsley on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I use a 2009 17" MBP and I can run every game I've found at native res and maxed-out.

Shit is so cash.

ben0207 on
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why not just use the internal microphone? Sound quality was pretty good on the model before last.

Falken on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Falken wrote: »
    Why not just use the internal microphone? Sound quality was pretty good on the model before last.

Fine for him.

Not so fine on the people on the other end that will hear his ambient noise.

DietarySupplement on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate with a level of vitriol that cannot be described pretty much anyone that tries to use Ventrilo without a headset mic. Invariably it sounds like crap and you end up talking over other people.

Mugsley on