As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Un]Official PA WH40K Gaming League! Season 2.5: The Challengeing!

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, this was essentially the brutal axe murder of a whole lot of guardsmen. I'm learning that I might need some heavier firepower with my infantry.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    RenegadeAceRenegadeAce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I Challenge Heffling!

Let me know when you're free. How's Monday night strike you?

RenegadeAce on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, this was essentially the brutal axe murder of a whole lot of guardsmen. I'm learning that I might need some heavier firepower with my infantry.

Commissar with a blob of power weapons. I think I figured out a blob with like 4 or 5 power weapons and like 10 power weapon attacks. With lots of blob guard to sacrifice and a commissar to keep them from breaking.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    In an epic battle of annihilation on dawn of war, the Deathwing faced a codex space marine contingent. It was dominated by the DW until his drop pod with a ironclad came down near my land raider with my command squad in it. I thought there was something I could do to kill it, but 2 Lascannon shots, an assault cannon, and 2 krak missile shots didn't even scratch the paint. That was turn 4, on turn 5 he assaulted my LR and killed it, on turn 6 he charged my terminator command squad that was down to 2 and had no more powerfists in it. It went all the way to turn 7, so you might think that during the next 4 assault phases he would be able to do 2 wounds. BUT YOU WOULD BE WRONG! Never doubt the power of a 5+ invulnerable armor save, and the ability to miss in CC.

RESULT: Draw 5KP-5KP

I will wait a couple days to allow someone to challenge me.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Awesome, finally get my 40K fix.

My Army will be Dark Angels. GMT - 6.

I propose a rule, those in the bottom rung are free to change up their army lists as long as they post them on here before playing. That way someone doesn't get stuck on the bottom with an army that either isn't working or they don't like.
    Ravenwing:
    Core: 775
    HQ: 245
    Sammael: Master of The Ravenwing: 205 Points
    Wargear: Apothecary (+15), Standard Bearer (+25)

Troops: 295
    1 Ravenwing Attack Squadron: 6 Bikers: 220 Points
    Wargear: Powersword(+15), Flamer*2(+10)
    Attack Bike w/ Multi-Melta(+50)

Elites: 235
    1 Deathwing Terminator Squads: 215 Points
    Wargear: Cyclone Missile Launcher (+20)

Block 1: 250
    Troop:
    1 Ravenwing Attack Squadron: 6 Bikers: 220 Points
    Wargear: Powersword(+15), Flamer*2(+10), Meltabomb(+5)

Block 2: 235
    Elite:
    1 Deathwing Terminator Squad: 215 Points
    Wargear: Cyclone Missile Launcher (+20)

Block 3: 225
    3 Fast Attack:
    1 Ravenwing Speeders w/ Multi Melta – Typhoon: 75
    1 Ravenwing Speeder w/ Multi Melta - Typhoon: 75
    1 Ravenwing Speeder W/ Multi Melta - Typhoon: 75

Block 4: 225
    3 Fast Attack:
    1 Ravenwing Speeder w/ Heavy Bolter – Typhoon: 75

That actually makes sense because you could just withdraw and come back in with a "new" army in the same spot. So sure.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Another question, can you challenge someone who already has a challenge token? If they win, do they now have two challenge tokens?

RenegadeAce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, and yes.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eldercat! I challenge you!

Edit:
    Since I'm now in the bottom rung, I made a minor change to my list. Still DE, just with some more splinter cannons.

And if THIS doesn't work, I'm going to try a stupid Tzeentch list. Then Slaanesh, then back to DE.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    *finishes licking wounds*

Hmm... Huntzy/PolloDiablo, which one of you is in Tier 4? 'Cause I wanna challenge one of you, maybe sometime this weekend/early next week.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Eldercat! I challenge you!

Edit:
    Since I'm now in the bottom rung, I made a minor change to my list. Still DE, just with some more splinter cannons.

And if THIS doesn't work, I'm going to try a stupid Tzeentch list. Then Slaanesh, then back to DE.

I ACCEPT, what are you doing tonight?

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tonight, I don't think is a good night, got stuffs to do. How about tomorrow? You free during the day?

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Quick question? Can I run a second list that is on the bottom tier since as being the top right now no one I can really challenge.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes. I would prefer it if it was vastly different though.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well main army will still be chaos(list posted earlier) second army is Orks. I am not sure I can get much different unless I went gray knights.

Edit:This would be the Ork list I would play with.

Ghaz's Smasher mob!
    Base 750 pts on the dot:
    HQ
    Ghazkull Thraka

Big Mek w/KFF

Troops
    30x Boys(shootas)
    Nob
    -power klaw
    -boss pole

30x Boys(shootas)
    Nob
    -power klaw
    -boss pole

Block 1 250 pts:
    Killa kansx3
    -skorchax2
    -rokkit

Killa kansx3
    -skorchax3

Block 2:
    Deff Koptasx2
    -tw rokkitsx2
    -buzzsaw

Deff Koptasx2
    -tw rokkitsx2
    -buzzsaw

-Big Gunz
    -kannonz

Block 3:
    20x Boys(shootas)
    Nob
    -power klaw
    -boss pole

Deff Koptasx2
    -tw rokkitsx2

Block 4:
    15 Kommandos
    -2x burnas
    Snikrot

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Renegade, that sounds great. Say 7pm EST?

Heffling on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forgot to post my list from the other night.

http://shiftedmatrix.com/lists/PA_league_02.htm

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dark Eldar sweep Deathwing(almost)

This was a really one-sided match with Elder's terminators being severely outnumbered by the vile Dark Eldar. It didn't help that it was a close map and deployment, allowing my Archon and Incubi to get stuck in on turn 1. All said though, Eldercat was an awesome opponent and hung in until turn 4.

MVPs:
    Dark Eldar:Archon for taking out a squad of Terminators and the Master of the Deathwing.
    Dark Angels:That damn land speeder that took at least 14 dark lance shots and was only stunned. It is truly a testament to resiliency of the Machine God.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    New release from: http://www.vassal40k.info/

5.4A:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?meej4bif05d50ew

It fixes a few things, and they will release a new update soon.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    susan wrote: »
    *finishes licking wounds*

Hmm... Huntzy/PolloDiablo, which one of you is in Tier 4? 'Cause I wanna challenge one of you, maybe sometime this weekend/early next week.

I think neither of us. He's 2 and I'm 3.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well dang. Who in Tier 4 wants to throw down?

susan on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are we allowing inquisition ally rules or no?

Edit: Eh, doesn't really matter for me anymore.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could you hurry it up a little? I'd like to get a game in.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Are we allowing inquisition ally rules or no?

Edit: Eh, doesn't really matter for me anymore.

Official ruling from what I understand is, if you have the codex run off that(ally rule included) if not and are using the PDF you must use those rules.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What do you guys think of this for a Thousand Sons list?

Core
    Daemon Prince 110
    Wings 20
    MoTz 20
    Warptime 25
    BoC 25

Thousand Sons Squad
    Sorc 60
    BoC 25
    Melta Bombs 5
    8 Tsons 184

Another of those 274

Block 1
    2 Oblits 150
    1 Dread 90
    ML
    Multimelta 10

Block 2
    Thousand Sons Squad
    Sorc 60
    BoC 25
    7 Tsons 161

Block 3
    6 chosen 108
    Asp champ 10
    3 melta 30
    Greater daemon 100

Block 4
    19 Lesser Daemons 247

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, little technical help to what I'm sure is an obvious answer. Whenever I opened Vassal then opened the 40k module before, it asked me if I wanted to play online. I clicked yes, I joined the servers and could then play people. Now when I open the 40k module it does not pop up the window asking if I play online, and it just pops up the game board.

Ideas?

RenegadeAce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm pretty sure you can go into the settings menu when you're at the game board screen and select the option to display the startup screen. If that doesn't work, i'm sure someone else here who currently has access to Vassal can give you a more accurate answer.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    RenegadeAce:You must of accidentally turned that off. To connect on your vassal screen there is a button with a pair of arrows --><-- like that but one on top of the other. Click that, and you get the menu for connecting to the servers. Click the connect button and there you go.

Lawn:As with most T-sons armies it is slow, short rangedish, and not mobile. So a few things.
    -First for the lesser demons I am guessing each squad has a personal icon, which is 5 points so than can teleport on. If not, they aren't much use. Throw some on.
    -Second, T-sons are slow as all get out on foot. If anyone needed a rhino its is these guys. Slow and purposeful basically is going to mean you move about 4 to 5 inches a turn with average rolls. Less if the Sorc dies.
    -Third, though you have Bolt of Change, some more Anti-tank would be better. Chosen need a rhino, can up to 5 meltas on that squad, 6 if you put a combimelta on the rhino.
    -Drop the Dread, if you are going to have the icons use some termicides. 3x termis, 3xcombi meltas. 105 points. Drop them to pop a transport and then let the t-sons destroy its contents. If you want to spend some extra points, an IoT works great on termis making their armor 2+/4++
    -Also drop the chosen champ, he is just 1 extra attack since the Chosen are already ld 10 and can be decked out like champs.

I think that is all I can think of for now. T-sons are a great idea but they lost a lot of the awesome smash your face ability in this codex. Through in the large amount of cover and lots of tanks they are hurting more. My two list I am running are vehicle heavy. Chaos has a minimum of 4, with 5 to 6(2 rhinos, pred, 2 vindis, 1 dread because they are fun and I won't fault anyone for having one). My orks are 6 minimum with 6 kans and up to 9 kans. Either way this list is going to have problems armor saturation. The termicide unit and maybe even a havocs unit with 4 autocannons and a IoT for fluff would help with that.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lawinator, when are you going to be good to throw down this week?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wednesday would be the easiest day, but there's a solid chance of throw down on Tuesday.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well everyone has been active except Smurfy, so I kicked him out. I rolled a d6 to see who gets kicked up to take his spot, Susan, you get promoted.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes! There's no victory sweeter than one by default!

Pollo, you lookin' to game this week?

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx - Much Thanks! I knew it was going to be some ridiculously easy fix.

Heffling - Monday at 7pm eastern sounds good. See you then.

RenegadeAce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes! There's no victory sweeter than one by default!

Pollo, you lookin' to game this week?

Bring it on. I'm fine pretty much whenever.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wednesday would be the easiest day, but there's a solid chance of throw down on Tuesday.

I can do both. 7 pm EST start time?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzy, still good for 8 pm tonight?

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How's later tonight sound Pollo? And how late can you game (PST-wise)?

susan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Slapnuts wrote: »
    Mazzy, still good for 8 pm tonight?

I am thinking so though TV is starting. I don't know if you can, but if we can start at 5 est, that might be a better time now since it seems my day has cleared for the most part.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well this is kind of sudden but Im actually going to have to drop out of the league until Late Oct, early Nov. I've got way too much going on right now and my quality time with my wife and friends is starting to suffer a little bit.

I hate to do this on such short notice but it's more fair that you all know now rather than me going another week and dropping out.

I hope to be back in a few months!

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Slapnuts, no worries. I was just going to actually cancel since stuff came up for this afternoon that basically was going to eat like about 6:30 est to 8 est so I really didn't have time tonight.

Also rl>internet life.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    How's later tonight sound Pollo? And how late can you game (PST-wise)?

Tonight's fine. It'll break me out of my crippling Reach addiction. Pacific time is a bit tricky. I could probably go to about 9 pacific, if that isn't too early. I could go later if we need to, but I'm Eastern, so I wouldn't want to go much past 10 pacific. Would that work?

PolloDiablo on