As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Un]Official PA WH40K Gaming League! Season 2.5: The Challengeing!

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Let's try for Thursday, say 7 Central?

Moridin889 on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who in Tier 4 isn't challenged? I will fight you!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alt, I'll be on VASSAL for a bit if you want to get our game on.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • RenegadeAceRenegadeAce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pollo Diablo, I propose 10am U.S. Central Time on Wednesday.

I know this is a weird time so if it doesn't work for you let me know.

RenegadeAce on
    edited September 2010
    Susan's Necrons vs Alt_Raven's Space Marines in a Pitched-Battle Kill Point Throwdown

Result: TIE!

For five rounds, our armies danced around eachother, slowly whittling forces down and looking for a swift stroke to bring a certain victory. In the end, we had a field littered with bodies and an inconclusive result.

Dead Necrons: My Deceiver, Both Destroyer Squads, One Warrior Squad
    Moment of Doom: The Deceiver getting dropped by a line of Autocannons after botching 5 straight Invul saves.

Dead Marines: A Landspeeder, a Drop Pod, a Vindicator Tank, and a Sternguard Vet Squad.
    Moment of Doom: The Sternguard squad literally doing more damage to itself than a Warrior squad with Plasma shooting.

Great game.

susan on
  • Alt_RavenAlt_Raven Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yep, great game Susan. Nail biter to the end!

Alt_Raven on
    You touched my Tra-La-La!
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pollo Diablo, I propose 10am U.S. Central Time on Wednesday.

I know this is a weird time so if it doesn't work for you let me know.

That works for me. The only potential hitch is I might still be asleep, but I promise I'll try really hard to be there.

PolloDiablo on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    susan wrote: »
    Susan's Necrons vs Alt_Raven's Space Marines in a Pitched-Battle Kill Point Throwdown

Result: TIE!
    For five rounds, our armies danced around eachother, slowly whittling forces down and looking for a swift stroke to bring a certain victory. In the end, we had a field littered with bodies and an inconclusive result.

Dead Necrons: My Deceiver, Both Destroyer Squads, One Warrior Squad
    Moment of Doom: The Deceiver getting dropped by a line of Autocannons after botching 5 straight Invul saves.

Dead Marines: A Landspeeder, a Drop Pod, a Vindicator Tank, and a Sternguard Vet Squad.
    Moment of Doom: The Sternguard squad literally doing more damage to itself than a Warrior squad with Plasma shooting.

Great game.
    And Susan gets a token!

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Let's try for Thursday, say 7 Central?

Works for me.

Extreaminatus on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You tier 5 people need to start challenging more tier 4 people so one of them can challenge me :P

Sharp101 on
    edited September 2010
    Pollo Diablo, can we make it 10:30 central time?

RenegadeAce on
    edited September 2010
    Pollo Diablo, can we make it 10:30 central time?

Sure, if you see this before then.

PolloDiablo on
  • fogrobfogrob Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is the league still open to newcomers?

fogrob on
    My PA 40k League list can be found here.
    edited September 2010
    Yup.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited September 2010
    The RenegadeAce v. Pollo cage match has ended in victory for the Dark Angels. It was on a very heavily wooded map, which made for a pretty big change of pace.

That was a pretty brutal match. It played out like an ambush. The guard was pinned up on the table edge, being ridden down by bikers. Toward the end it devolved into a big brawl, and the guard actually didn't do too badly in close combat, if you're not counting the hundreds of dead guardsmen. Which I'm not. They were being killed less quickly, anyway. Being right on the edge, pretty much everybody legged it off the board when they saw the marines.

In the end, we got wiped out almost to a man, never getting more than a foot forward.

Imperial Guard MVP: The mighty larch. I'd have to count, but I'm fairly certain the trees killed more marines than my entire army did. They certainly took fewer casualties doing it, anyway.

Also deserving honorable mention are the basilisks that shelled themselves, killing 50% of my heavy support.

I think my best unit without a root system was the ratlings, who until now have been my worst. They actually took out a few terminators. Maybe all of them except one. I can't remember precisely. Still, not bad for the little guys.

It was a really interesting game.

Lessons learned: Need better guns, commisars, planning.

PolloDiablo on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, given the results of my last tussle vs DA, Renegade Ace, defend yourself! I want your spot on tier 4. When can you get another game in?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited September 2010
    Hmm... This terrifies me (and rightfully so), as this is effectively an opponent and list specifically designed to table Necrons, but if I'm goin' to the top I gotsta go through some rough turf.

Huntzy! What's your Schedule like?

susan on
    edited September 2010
    Gabriel, I'm free Friday at 10am central time if you're up for a morning game.

RenegadeAce on
    edited September 2010
    I work 8am -6pm all day every day. Any other times that work? How about the weekend?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • HuntzyHuntzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    im good most nights except friday

Huntzy on
    edited September 2010
    How late can you go? I'm PST.

susan on
  • HuntzyHuntzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i can go about 10-10:30 est

Huntzy on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Grey Knights are VICTORIOUS

In a strange turn of events, GKs can actually win games, when the luck is with them at the end of the game.

The game was Dawn of War, Capture and Control style. I got the first turn and set up amongst some houses with almost my whole army except for my deepstriking PAGK squad. He deploys nothing in the beginning, so I got to sit for a while and do nothing. When everything comes in I see he has more vehicles than I do scoring units, but that changes by the end of the game.

In the beginning I was master of rolling 1s but did manage to kill a couple vehicles in the first couple of turns. What was interesting was that my teleport squad came in turn 2 and scattered almost into a building, killing 2 of their own in DT (the first casualties of the game). Turns out they were secretly the MVPs even though they were awful in the beginning.

The kan and buggy wall basically rolled forward menacingly, ignoring their own casualties, while the GKs on my own objective shot stuff a lot and my GKTs moved up the right flank and the teleport squad the left.

The end of the game played out like this:

A squad of 11 orks kill my brother captain and a termie, to get wiped out next turn.

And more importantly, the teleport squad managed to make it to the enemy objective with a wopping 3 members left. All the while, one of my homeland squads began to tighten the noose while marching right up the middle and murdering kans.

The bottom of turn 5 had 3 GKs between a victory and a draw. I lost 1 to shooting, and had to face 44 ork attacks on the charge along with a Kan. I got to go first, so I threw some against the Kan and some against the ork horde. None of the orks died, but I got to weapon destroy the kan.

On his roll, he had 9 wounds with the orks, and 1 with the weakened kan. One round of 5 saves on a normal Grey Knight, and 4 on his Justicar. The Grey Knight makes all 5, and the Justicar splats horribly. The GK goes on to save the attack from the Kan, and tie combat.

Heffling rolls to end the game, and gets a 1.

That Grey Knight is now a Justicar.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited September 2010
    mywin.jpg
    Selected is the Grey Knight that won the game, along with a record of his merry journey.

TheLawinator on
    edited September 2010
    We have an opening on tier 3, the next person to be in tier 4 with a token gets promoted to tier 3.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited September 2010
    Gabriel, Hows Monday at 7pm Central time sound?

RenegadeAce on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ElderCat wrote: »
    We have an opening on tier 3, the next person to be in tier 4 with a token gets promoted to tier 3.

nooo... at this rate I'm never going to be challenged!

Sharp101 on
    edited September 2010
    Gabriel, Hows Monday at 7pm Central time sound?
    That sounds most excellent! Kill you then!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lawn I challenge you with my Ork list that has moved into tier 2 thanks to drops and such! ROAR!

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Lawn I challenge you with my Ork list that has moved into tier 2 thanks to drops and such! ROAR!

Fucking Orks.

TheLawinator on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Fucking Orks.

The green tide will wash over you!

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited September 2010
    So when can I get my second list in, lol

RenegadeAce on
    edited September 2010
    Haven't played in years, but got a list together and would like to give it a go. Just using vanilla marines to once again get the hang of things.

Find my list here

fogrob on
    edited September 2010
    So when can I get my second list in, lol
    Whenever you want, just let me know.
    fogrob wrote: »
    Haven't played in years, but got a list together and would like to give it a go. Just using vanilla marines to once again get the hang of things.

Find my list here

Cool, you are in, just let me know what time zone you prefer.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited October 2010
    So, now that I'm on top... maybe I could run a second army as well?

TheLawinator on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Moridin, I'm on Vassal eagerly awaiting your arrival.

Extreaminatus on
    edited October 2010
    It appears there is a new module for download as of today. The info is in the "messages" tab on vassal.

fogrob on
    edited October 2010
    I edited the link in the OP, yay nightspinner sprite.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited October 2010
    Well, I guess there's no time like the present. Extreaminatus! I choose you!

I'm available 10a-2p and after midnight Mon-Fri CST. Will that work for you?

fogrob on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, My car broke down and I was stuck with it for a few hours. I'm back, albeit late.

Moridin889 on