As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird display problem with my Wii

Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchscritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
For some reason, the picture that my Wii's displaying goes up off the top and bottom edges of my TV. It's a poloroid 24" HDTV with standard aspect ratio. I'm just using the standard composite cables that came with the system. I've fiddled with the settings on both the Wii and the TV but nothing seems to work. The problem doesn't seem to happen with anything else so I'm assuming that it's not an issue with the TV settings. My best guess is that the problem's coming from having composite cables instead of component?

It's not really an issue in the big picture but given the choice I'd prefer to not have to figure out what letters on the bottom of the screen are by the shape of their top halves.

Speed Racer on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are you sure you don't have the input at 4:3 zoom? If not, I would consider getting new video cables.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    bawkbawkboo1bawkbawkboo1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really doubt that the cables could be responsible for something like that; this is kind of oversimplified, but basically the three different coax cables that make component video carry different parts of the color spectrum, not different physical sections of the image. When I plug one of the component cables into the composite jack (I've done it by accident before) all that happens is the image's red, or green, or blue comes through and not the other colors. It shouldn't effect the aspect ratio. The best bet is to dig around your TV's options for things like display fill settings. If that doesn't go anywhere change around the console's output to the opposite of what it is now (4:3 to 16:9 or visa versa) and try again. If that doesn't work check out the TV's support page and see if the firmware is upgradeable. After that I'm out of ideas, other than buying component cables and trying those.

EDIT:
    doh, just remembered that if you go into the Wii settings and then Dsiplay, the top option is "screen position" See if modifying that helps.

bawkbawkboo1 on