As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Reach CAMPAIGN/CO-OP/FORGE thread. Metatag: A PA Reach CoOp

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    The arbiter missions in Halo 2 all suck horribly.

Yes, except for being able to hear Keith David's voice, they aren't very good.

Hmm, speaking of... (speculation using possible spoilers from Halos 1-3. Just being safe and through here...)
    Since the group that attacked Reach wound up chasing the Pillar of Autumn to the Halo, I wonder if the Elite that would become The Arbiter will make an appearance along with Keith David's super-awesome voice...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anybody watch the Gamespot hour long quick look? That Shaun McInnis dude makes Normal difficulty look so much harder than Jeff.

The commentary with Giancarlo also sucks balls. It's lifeless and dull.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah, I remember the good old days of being all excited about over the trailer showed for Halo 2.

Then the game actually came out and you spend the whole game watching the graphics pop in, half the game as the Arbiter, and all of one mission actually playing on Earth. Also, stupid crap like regenerating health and ditching fall damage because the plasma sword was glitched.

At least the Bungie folks really learned from their mistakes, though, instead of just hammering away at bad ideas. The Arbiter is a decent enough character, but ditching the idea of playing from his side of things was a good call.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah, I remember the good old days of being all excited about over the trailer showed for Halo 2.

Then the game actually came out and you spend the whole game watching the graphics pop in, half the game as the Arbiter, and all of one mission actually playing on Earth. Also, stupid crap like regenerating health and ditching fall damage because the plasma sword was glitched.

At least the Bungie folks really learned from their mistakes, though, instead of just hammering away at bad ideas. The Arbiter is a decent enough character, but ditching the idea of playing from his side of things was a good call.

Well, you still see things from his side, but now he's the co-op character.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I loved the Arbiter side of the story.

It's just every one of his damn levels had a slow moving elevator or lift.

... now that I think about it, Halo 2 had a lot of setpieces around slow moving elevators and lifts.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My friend had the game a few days early. Unfortunately, work and what-not kept us from making it too far through the campaign.

Our credits were wiped, but you do earn a somewhat decent amount of credits through the campaign. By the time I reached the rank for an item I wanted, I had enough credits to buy it.

You start off with 5,000cr and then get a bonus 2,000cr, for being a great fan or something.

Shamus on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked the Arbiter. He was awesome.

Also I didn't care about playing on Earth, I hated that mission. Even the tank driving wasn't very fun (for tank driving).

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Halo 2 is the weakest of the Halo games. The gameplay isn't that great, the story can be confusing, and half of the game is playing as a squishy alien with crappy guns.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Halo 2 is the weakest of the Halo games. The gameplay isn't that great, the story can be confusing, and half of the game is playing as a squishy alien with crappy guns.

that was incredibly reductive. please expand on your dislike of the game.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Amazon has $0.99 release day shipping on this. Just saying.

I got the email, and tried to do that for my Reach 360, it wanted to charge me $10 more for shipping. :?

Of course, I'm not getting home until sept 22nd at the earliest, probably October first D:

Arrath on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

... now that I think about it, Halo 2 had a lot of setpieces around slow moving elevators and lifts.

I didn't mind his side of the story either, but not at the expense of losing half the game as Master Chief. Something I really like about the Halo games is that the games are mostly a long, continuous, running fight with brief interludes. H1, H3, and ODST all have their stories happen within a pretty brief span; H1 is basically one ongoing fight from the moment the Chief wakes up, H3 has you playing from the Chief's return all the way up to the end of the war, and ODST has everything taking place at certain times during the same 24 hours with the different ODSTs linking up.

But for Halo 2, the story hops all over the place and levels seem more like levels then progressing through the campaign. Would've much rathered two outright games, one about the Chief and one about the Arbiter.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I didn't mind his side of the story either, but not at the expense of losing half the game as Master Chief. Something I really like about the Halo games is that the games are mostly a long, continuous, running fight with brief interludes. H1, H3, and ODST all have their stories happen within a pretty brief span; H1 is basically one ongoing fight from the moment the Chief wakes up, H3 has you playing from the Chief's return all the way up to the end of the war, and ODST has everything taking place at certain times during the same 24 hours with the different ODSTs linking up.

But for Halo 2, the story hops all over the place and levels seem more like levels then progressing through the campaign. Would've much rathered two outright games, one about the Chief and one about the Arbiter.

And the Chief doesn't really seem to get much completed. he blows up a Scarab, goes to a Halo, kills a prophet, his story ends.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, that's because they had to chop the last 3 levels off the game to ship it in time.

The first half of Halo 3 was basically supposed to be the end of Halo 2.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also protip. Keep watching after the credits. In case this was your first Halo game.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, that's because they had to chop the last 3 levels off the game to ship it in time.

Which makes me like the Arbiter bits even less. Compressing the Chief's story to get H2 out the door would've worked a lot better than having to compress the stories of both the Chief and the Arbiter. Finding out more about the inner workings of the Covenant was interesting, but at the end of the day I'm supposed to be mowing through their ranks with whatever I can shoot, stab, or bludgeon with. Seeing the human side of the ongoing tragedy of the war with the Covenant is a lot more interesting than seeing the Covenant races treat each other like jerks.

EDIT: Except for seeing the inevitable Grunt rebellion. I would play that so hard. Swarms of thousands of Grunts sweeping through Covenant ships, Hunters falling under the blows of billions of tiny fists, Brutes huddling in the dark to escape the chittering tide...

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All cutting the Arbiter would have done is shorten the game. There were no 'missing' Chief levels to fill in except for Forerunner Tank.

Ultimately what would have helped was Bungie not throwing out everything they did for Halo 2 11 months before the game was due and starting all over again.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Which makes me like the Arbiter bits even less. Compressing the Chief's story to get H2 out the door would've worked a lot better than having to compress the stories of both the Chief and the Arbiter. Finding out more about the inner workings of the Covenant was interesting, but at the end of the day I'm supposed to be mowing through their ranks with whatever I can shoot, stab, or bludgeon with. Seeing the human side of the ongoing tragedy of the war with the Covenant is a lot more interesting than seeing the Covenant races treat each other like jerks.

I disagree. Seeing a story that's almost strictly "You are human, badguys are not human, badguys shoot humans, so shoot back," is pretty boring.

Look at the first Gears for example.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The ongoing tragedy of the war was never explored with any depth.

Covenant side brought interesting contrast to the story.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All cutting the Arbiter would have done is shorten the game. There were no 'missing' Chief levels to fill in except for Forerunner Tank.

Ultimately what would have helped was Bungie not throwing out everything they did for Halo 2 11 months before the game was due and starting all over again.

What the should have cut out is all of the damn Arbiter missions involving fucking Flood with shields and vehicles. Or at least made the shotgun less shit.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The GameTrailers review had an amazing amount of bitching considering the really high score they gave it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm getting pretty excited for Reach now. Still trying to sort out where to pick it up. I want the Game Stop exclusive, but the cunts don't know how to order enough copies, so I'm pre-ordering elsewhere as well and seeing how things go.

Although with my luck in various aspects of life I'm sure that I'll pop the disk in and find out that all but 2 levels are filled with the Flood for no apparent reason.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The GameTrailers review had an amazing amount of bitching considering the really high score they gave it.

It's not bitching if they've got valid criticisms. Unfortunately, many of their criticisms were either entirely unexplained or somewhat confusing/probably because the reviewer is dumb/bad at games. So it actually sort of was bitching.

Regardless, the complains they did have were negligible in the grand scheme of their scoring mechanics (the 4 basic items they rate out of 10), and as such didn't hit the review score quite that much.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's not bitching if they've got valid criticisms. Unfortunately, many of their criticisms were either entirely unexplained or somewhat confusing/probably because the reviewer is dumb/bad at games. So it actually sort of was bitching.

Regardless, the complains they did have were negligible in the grand scheme of their scoring mechanics (the 4 basic items they rate out of 10), and as such didn't hit the review score quite that much.

Yeah, I'm no Halo defender or apologist, I was just saying that they complained a whole lot, and a few of those complaints were a bit weird or confusing. So when the final really awesome score hit I was a bit surprised that they scored it as high as they did.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok someone help me with the whole pre-order armor thing.

Legendary- Flaming head
    Limited- Special Elite
    GameStop- A couple of things

I've also heard something of a Recon helmet for pre-order. Is this in package, or a slip of paper, or something else? Apparently multiple stores have this. I thought I also heard something about playing on the first day giving you something as well. Could anyone give me a good clear explanation?

Also GameStop can eat a bag of horse dicks for not having enough limited editions. Don't fucking tell me you couldn't get a hold of more, your store is just shit.

Gamestop stopped taking preorders on special editions because Reach is a huge release. Cutting off the date meant they could make sure they got enough copies in for everyone who came in, in the SIX FUCKING MONTH LONG WINDOW and preordered like they were supposed to.

If you missed that window, it's your own fucking fault.

Also, read the OP. There is a flowchart for all of your questions in it.

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Legendary- Flaming head
    Limited- Special Elite

I've also heard something of a Recon helmet for pre-order. Is this in package, or a slip of paper, or something else? Apparently multiple stores have this. I thought I also heard something about playing on the first day giving you something as well. Could anyone give me a good clear explanation?

Also GameStop can eat a bag of horse dicks for not having enough limited editions. Don't fucking tell me you couldn't get a hold of more, your store is just shit.

Gamestop stopped taking preorders on special editions because Reach is a huge release. Cutting off the date meant they could make sure they got enough copies in for everyone who came in, in the SIX FUCKING MONTH LONG WINDOW and preordered like they were supposed to.

After the Cat Helmet debacle with Halo 3 (I can imagine some suit screaming "HOW MANY OF THOSE DID YOU MAKE?!"), I'm not entirely surprised that they decided this time that the word 'Limited' would actually be a good description for its availability.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who has a cat helmet they don't want?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Any word on what's going to happen at the Gamestops with the 10pm open times? My best friend and I are going at midnight, but may go at 10 if anything worth a damn is going on.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I believe pizza and video games at mine. I'll be the weird guy reading a book in the cor....the third weird guy reading a book in the corner.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm pretty sure you have to swing by after ten but before midnight to get your receipt stamped/ticket or whatever method your gamestop is doing.
    i was there last time and showed up at ten, got my stamp, stood around for 5 minutes and left. came back at around 11:20 and got in line, and got in and out by 12:15
    but i think if you don't get the stamp/ticket/whatever they'll make you wait for those who are stamped to go through first. it's awkward when someone gets sent back to the end of the line because they are trying to pay right then, when they should have earlier.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Legendary- Flaming head
    Limited- Special Elite

After the Cat Helmet debacle with Halo 3 (I can imagine some suit screaming "HOW MANY OF THOSE DID YOU MAKE?!"), I'm not entirely surprised that they decided this time that the word 'Limited' would actually be a good description for its availability.

Nobody is, except Sir Platypus. They've said from day fucking one that they'll be more limited this time, and everyone who's stopped taking preorders had done so for SO LONG.

Instead, he shits up our thread with "Gamestop can eat a bag of dicks" and "They should learn to be a better store" etc, etc. They were still giving away H3 helmets in 2009, man. They learned their lesson.

You aren't suffering for it. Fucking buy it somewhere else if you missed your shot.

EDIT: I'm find with this being TOTP. Because the discussion is for the game, not how you failed at buying it.

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I love S043

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Legendary- Flaming head
    Limited- Special Elite

Nobody is, except Johnny Chopsocky. They've said from day fucking one that they'll be more limited this time, and everyone who's stopped taking preorders had done so for SO LONG.

Instead, he shits up our thread with "Gamestop can eat a bag of dicks" and "They should learn to be a better store" etc, etc. They were still giving away H3 helmets in 2009, man. They learned their lesson.

You aren't suffering for it. Fucking buy it somewhere else if you missed your shot.

EDIT: I'm find with this being TOTP. Because the discussion is for the game, not how you failed at buying it.

Not all Gamestops are out of preorders though. Hell, my Gamestop manager told me they had to stop accepting preorders for Legendary not because they ran out, but because Corporate said to do the remaining ones online only.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They should of officially remade the best map in all of Halo, but fuck me this works too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMbYi7Vvw8

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That looks like the remake they showed a bit of a while ago on the website as a Bungie employee creation.

I would guess it is that version, because the scale is actually correct.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That video reminds me, they need to add some better recolor options for Forge. I got bored of Halo 3's sandstone and brown custom maps, I'm going to get bored of Reach's grey and metal maps soon enough too.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They do have recolor options for a bunch of the pieces.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    They should of officially remade the best map in all of Halo, but fuck me this works too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMbYi7Vvw8
    I never understood why the didn't hold off until 3 to remake Hang Em High. They remade for 2 soo close to the release of 3 that hardly anyone even played it. What a waste. I hope they do remake it again for Reach at some point.

Also, I have to add that you are insane.

2 is by far the best of the Halo games. ODST is the weakest followed by 3.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Legendary- Flaming head
    Limited- Special Elite

Nobody is, except Johnny Chopsocky. They've said from day fucking one that they'll be more limited this time, and everyone who's stopped taking preorders had done so for SO LONG.

I'm confused by this sentence. Is there a missing part of the quote tree?

As for the Hang Em High remake, very much YES. Even in Bungie doesn't make it, I'm sure there's a Forge user intrepid enough to make it happen properly.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think he meant to say sir platypus.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Legendary- Flaming head
    Limited- Special Elite

I'm confused by this sentence. Is there a missing part of the quote tree?

As for the Hang Em High remake, very much YES. Even in Bungie doesn't make it, I'm sure there's a Forge user intrepid enough to make it happen properly.

I'm guessing he made my usual mistake where you think the second poster was actually the first poster.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????