Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

2010 Primaries for Midterm Midtacular!

2456765

Posts

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SpazHappy wrote: »
    Why not just do the easy thing and renew the Bush Tax Cuts?
    Because doing the easy thing is incredibly stupid. The last thing rich people in this country should get is more money to put in their bank accounts and leave there.
    SpazHappy wrote:
    What's a few more bodies amongst the foundations...
    Okay, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    Right! It's about the media.

    WRONG!

    It's about what their base believes. Which is why nobody backed by progressives, kos, huffpo, can ever be anything but anti military, anti police. And that's why those tactics work. Nobody ever seriously questioned Kerry, they did question those voting for him and if he would cave for them.

    Except for the niggling little fact that there have been plenty of candidates featured on Daily Kos who were in the army. And VoteVets.org is distinctly left-leaning. But don't let those facts get in the way of your lie-spouting.

    Which means fuck all since they are backed by progressives! That's like asking me to take a pro nazi person seriously just because a few jews support him (yeah I went there).

    Kill the progressive shit, and then push your options, till then, no liberal can be taken seriously on military matters, and until you get that, expect to get slaughtered over "the troops".

    Of course! Who knew that progressives all inherently want to murder our troops in their sleep despite any evidence to the contrary? I mean, they're progressives! That's like nazi communists!

    Don't be naive, like it or not, the reality is the progressive base has been anti military, that's been the case since the 60's. Thus anybody that "progressives" approve of, has all their military credentials shot to hell off the bat and swift boating works. The right, does not have this problem. In fact, even the worlds largest coward, as long as they have an R, gets some military credit for it.

    I didn't create this situation, I'm just calling a duck a duck here.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, nstf, someday you'll actually cite one of your absurd claims, and that day the world will fucking end.

  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, nstf, someday you'll actually cite one of your absurd claims, and that day the world will fucking end.

    So sig'd.

    steam_sig.png
  • SpazHappySpazHappy Registered User
    edited September 2010
    SpazHappy wrote: »
    Why not just do the easy thing and renew the Bush Tax Cuts?
    Because doing the easy thing is incredibly stupid. The last thing rich people in this country should get is more money to put in their bank accounts and leave there.

    What a douche. Money in the bank does not "sit there". It gets loaned out, to people who need it. Your savings account is merely there to show you what the bank owes you.

    Only way the money would be useless is if they stuff it in a mattress.

    And in fact, most of the wealthy people in this land are owners of businesses, for the fact that you pretty much do not get rich in this country by working for someone else on a salaried job. Often, these people reinvest their money back into their own business, which good for MANY people.
    SpazHappy wrote:
    What's a few more bodies amongst the foundations...
    Okay, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

    Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions...

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I hear the Democrats are headed for destruction.

    Like, they might lose control of the House for like 4-8 years! OMG!

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SpazHappy wrote: »
    And in fact, most of the wealthy people in this land are owners of businesses, for the fact that you pretty much do not get rich in this country by working for someone else on a salaried job.
    Yes, you do. Many, many investment bankers became ludicrously wealthy despite not running the company.
    SpazHappy wrote:
    Often, these people reinvest their money back into their own business, which good for MANY people.
    No, they either buy other companies to expand without doing any messy building, or they pay it out in dividends to keep the shareholders happy.
    SpazHappy wrote:
    SpazHappy wrote:
    What's a few more bodies amongst the foundations...
    Okay, what the hell is that supposed to mean?

    Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions...
    So you're saying the Apocalypse is coming soon? Or something? o_O

  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    I'd agree but locking at my 401k, 403b, and personal investements I'm getting killed, though the killed face in 2006. I know the conservatives caused this, but most will just look at their funds and panic.

  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    So I hear the Democrats are headed for destruction.

    Like, they might lose control of the House for like 4-8 years! OMG!

    If Nate Silver's current projection is correct, the GOP will have a 7-seat majority in 2011-2013, which is certainly nice for them, but doesn't have much wiggle room. Of course, given their party discipline over the past decade, it might be just as good as a 50-seat majority.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    So I hear the Democrats are headed for destruction.

    Like, they might lose control of the House for like 4-8 years! OMG!
    At which point it becomes the Republican Economy again. Huzzah!

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    So I hear the Democrats are headed for destruction.

    Like, they might lose control of the House for like 4-8 years! OMG!
    At which point it becomes the Republican Economy again. Huzzah!

    Hahaha. Yeah, no. Unless they decide to shut down the government, then it's 50-50 and we're on the "requiring responsible media coverage" side.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    So I hear the Democrats are headed for destruction.

    Like, they might lose control of the House for like 4-8 years! OMG!
    At which point it becomes the Republican Economy again. Huzzah!

    Hahaha. Yeah, no. Unless they decide to shut down the government, then it's 50-50 and we're on the "requiring responsible media coverage" side.
    4 years of Republican rule at this point will likely leave us near Mad Max level infrastructure issues. Particularly with this new class of truly rabid anti-taxers.

    The fact that we can't afford to staff schools or repair roads anymore surely won't go unnoticed, regardless of media coverage.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    So I hear the Democrats are headed for destruction.

    Like, they might lose control of the House for like 4-8 years! OMG!
    At which point it becomes the Republican Economy again. Huzzah!

    Hahaha. Yeah, no. Unless they decide to shut down the government, then it's 50-50 and we're on the "requiring responsible media coverage" side.
    4 years of Republican rule at this point will likely leave us near Mad Max level infrastructure issues. Particularly with this new class of truly rabid anti-taxers.

    The fact that we can't afford to staff schools or repair roads anymore surely won't go unnoticed, regardless of media coverage.

    It's gone unnoticed for about 40 years now, I don't see why it would change, unless there are shit geysers in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, or DC.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There comes a point when you just have to let the public shock itself with its own stupidity.

    Otherwise they're never going to learn.

    Step back, say "we're letting them have it for a few years", then swoop back in right before Kansas declares war on South Dakota, and fix everything.

    So the people can get comfortable enough to vote based on prejudice again 2 years later. Like they always do.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    Bullshit. Coming from a rather liberal, euro, family in potomac MD we made bank off regean, and some off Clinton. They wont invest now because they are well, fucked. I've got my military home loan to try and translate into bucks, and a GI BILL to try and suck every last buck out of for a worthless degree.

    What you say might happen, but we stopped paying for hippy funds, and quit our contributions once we tanked, that's life. And for hungarian and dutch jews, we didn't have a free hand. In fact, my family had to survive multiple death camps, only to barely shrug it out with 3 remaining members, and then be forced to fight the korean war.

    For "30 years" yeah we hire and fired people, mostly hired. We got killed by the .net crash under clinton, I was whiped out. And yes, my dad, the asshole, probably falls into the tax bracket you hate.

    So no, you haven't tried it, and you are far to quick to judge. It worked for us, rather well. Or maybe you should look at how it's worked out for immigrants such as my family.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    See, I look at statistics and not anecdotes. Remember that graph I posted in the previous thread? Would you like to see it again?

    10.gif

    And that's with the 50s boom helping out Republican numbers!

    Actual purchasing power stagnated for most Americans in the last 30 years.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    I'd agree but locking at my 401k, 403b, and personal investements I'm getting killed, though the killed face in 2006. I know the conservatives caused this, but most will just look at their funds and panic.

    ... 15 minutes go by ...
    nstf wrote: »
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    Bullshit. Coming from a rather liberal, euro, family in potomac MD we made bank off regean, and some off Clinton. They wont invest now because they are well, fucked. I've got my military home loan to try and translate into bucks, and a GI BILL to try and suck every last buck out of for a worthless degree.

    What you say might happen, but we stopped paying for hippy funds, and quit our contributions once we tanked, that's life. And for hungarian and dutch jews, we didn't have a free hand. In fact, my family had to survive multiple death camps, only to barely shrug it out with 3 remaining members, and then be forced to fight the korean war.

    For "30 years" yeah we hire and fired people, mostly hired. We got killed by the .net crash under clinton, I was whiped out. And yes, my dad, the asshole, probably falls into the tax bracket you hate.

    So no, you haven't tried it, and you are far to quick to judge. It worked for us, rather well. Or maybe you should look at how it's worked out for immigrants such as my family.

    Are... do you have multiple personalities? O_o

  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    I'd agree but locking at my 401k, 403b, and personal investements I'm getting killed, though the killed face in 2006. I know the conservatives caused this, but most will just look at their funds and panic.

    Yes, most people don't care about who caused the financial problems, just who's in power right now. Which is why republicans taking both houses might not be the worst thing ever come 2012

    camo_sig2.png
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    See, I look at statistics and not anecdotes. Remember that graph I posted in the previous thread? Would you like to see it again?

    10.gif

    And that's with the 50s boom helping out Republican numbers!

    Actual purchasing power stagnated for most Americans in the last 30 years.

    Funny because other than MM or KNash not a fucking person has questioned democratic taxes, and even MM sides with you.

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are... there two of you?

    EDIT: Hi5 iTunes.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    I'd agree but locking at my 401k, 403b, and personal investements I'm getting killed, though the killed face in 2006. I know the conservatives caused this, but most will just look at their funds and panic.

    Yes, most people don't care about who caused the financial problems, just who's in power right now. Which is why republicans taking both houses might not be the worst thing ever come 2012

    Yes because a private fund, a 401k via LM and a 403b via USAID are so the same things, and I I so have the same amount in each. And either party might not be the same.

  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    I'd agree but locking at my 401k, 403b, and personal investements I'm getting killed, though the killed face in 2006. I know the conservatives caused this, but most will just look at their funds and panic.
    nstf wrote: »
    We tried trickle down economics for 30 years. It didn't work for anyone who's not rich (and even then, they were better off under the Democrat!).

    Bullshit. Coming from a rather liberal, euro, family in potomac MD we made bank off regean, and some off Clinton. They wont invest now because they are well, fucked. I've got my military home loan to try and translate into bucks, and a GI BILL to try and suck every last buck out of for a worthless degree.

    What you say might happen, but we stopped paying for hippy funds, and quit our contributions once we tanked, that's life. And for hungarian and dutch jews, we didn't have a free hand. In fact, my family had to survive multiple death camps, only to barely shrug it out with 3 remaining members, and then be forced to fight the korean war.

    For "30 years" yeah we hire and fired people, mostly hired. We got killed by the .net crash under clinton, I was whiped out. And yes, my dad, the asshole, probably falls into the tax bracket you hate.

    So no, you haven't tried it, and you are far to quick to judge. It worked for us, rather well. Or maybe you should look at how it's worked out for immigrants such as my family.

    What is this I don't even

    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, there are times when i almost have some respect for you nstf cause you come back time and time and time again to talk and debate and things.


    And then you say something so absolutely insane.. It's like, I don't even know.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, there are times when i almost have some respect for you nstf cause you come back time and time and time again to talk and debate and things.


    And then you say something so absolutely insane.. It's like, I don't even know.
    I think "debate" may be too strong a term.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    You know, there are times when i almost have some respect for you nstf cause you come back time and time and time again to talk and debate and things.


    And then you say something so absolutely insane.. It's like, I don't even know.
    I think "debate" may be too strong a term.

    All I gotta say is that if I took some of the name calling and things that are heaped on nstf, i'd probably have told you all to fuck off and die long ago.


    Maybe he's a masochist, who knows.


    But, I just, I dunno. I start just maybe agreeing on points with him and then...... it goes away.


    but anyways.

    Primaries.

    watching Rachel, and seeing her Carl Paladino information on. And..

    wow.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax Bondage Discipline Spider-Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You aren't fucked, you selfish idiot, you just won't make obscene amounts of money that isn't taxed anymore. I am in a very similar situation, and my parents may joke about not making nearly as much under better tax law, but they are intelligent enough to realize that taxes can be good.

    It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it
  • deowolfdeowolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Which is why republicans taking both houses might not be the worst thing ever come 2012

    Democrats: We Can Talk Ourselves into Anything.



    Although I;m not disagreeing with you.

    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Primaries.

    watching Rachel, and seeing her Carl Paladino information on. And..

    wow.
    Apparently being in the construction industry makes sending emails with man-on-goat action ok.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Primaries.

    watching Rachel, and seeing her Carl Paladino information on. And..

    wow.
    Apparently being in the construction industry makes sending emails with man-on-goat action ok.

    yeah, i missed the first 5 minutes or so, was watching the end of wwe.

    I just caught the beastiality words..

  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So in mixed Democratic enthusiasm news:

    I'm pretty sure the entirety of the Bush tax cuts will be extended because Lieberman/Nelson are assholes primarily, but also the Blue Dogs.

    There are rumblings that Elizabeth Warren will be appointed on an interim basis (no confirmation needed) for the next year.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to see the House pass a version of the cut extension without the super-rich cuts included. Just to see what the Republicans would do with it.

    It would also be good politics. The Dems either get to claim bipartisanship or point to the Republicans voting against tax cuts for 98% of Americans.

    Which is why it won't happen.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Harrisonburg, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, am I missing something? Here's how that would go:
    1. Some Democrat offers a bill extending the tax cuts for the lower four brackets.
    2. During floor debate, a Republican submits an amendment extending Bush's tax cuts for the highest bracket as well.
    3. All Republicans and Blue Dogs, as well as Democrats with very wealthy constituents, vote for the amendment, and it passes.
    4. The bill as a whole passes, and the entirety of the Bush tax cuts are extended.

  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a small chance the amendment fails. Particularly if there's a lot of attention brought on the subject by the Dems during the runnup to the midterms. If they're going to try and use it as an issue to run on, like Plouffe is saying they are.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Or if they read a motherfucking poll.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Or if they read a motherfucking poll.
    Expecting Dems to be politically savvy is a pipedream.

    Luckily, that's why we have people like Plouffe. He just needs to get cracking the whip.

    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. On Hiatus!

    Any gamers in the Danville, PA area? PM me if you're interested in some tabletop gaming.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, am I missing something? Here's how that would go:
    1. Some Democrat offers a bill extending the tax cuts for the lower four brackets.
    2. During floor debate, a Republican submits an amendment extending Bush's tax cuts for the highest bracket as well.
    3. All Republicans and Blue Dogs, as well as Democrats with very wealthy constituents, vote for the amendment, and it passes.
    4. The bill as a whole passes, and the entirety of the Bush tax cuts are extended.

    No, the amendment will get attached, then the Republicans will Filibuster ANYWAY unless the Democrats agree to remove the other tax cuts or INCREASE the ones on the top percentage.

    Then, after all that, they'll still filibuster, and run ads on every channel about how despite their best efforts, the Democrats just wouldn't work with them.

    Meanwhile, the Democrats will run no ads at all.

  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Obama needs to veto (or commit to a veto, at least) a full extension before either chamber of congress will pass an extension for just the non-uber rich.

    This will in all likelihood not happen.

This discussion has been closed.