As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fencing Practice - Stabbing With Style!

2»

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gleve wrote: »
    Foil - Take the opponents blade. A simple tap on their blade as you are lunging in to strike will take the right of way from your opponent. I made it my go to move, and it rarely let me down.

I did this a lot too. I had a lot of refs in tournaments call it a beat-attack, and so the point went to my opponent because it didn't count as a parry =(.

This is why I switched from foil.

It's quite often, at the Olympic level, to see points scored by an attack where the fencer advances with a beat, then draws back their arm to parry a counterattack while still having RoW because they're moving forward. They're both in a defensive and offensive position simultaneously. Of course, this is impossible. However, because the refs acknowledge this as acceptable, there's literally nothing the opponent can do. They can't parry because there's no blade to parry, and they can't (counter)attack because the other person can extend their blade whenever they want and score with their initial attack.

So, what happens is the defender tries to draw out the attack by feinting and closing the distance. Then it becomes who-can-flick-who at close distance first! Oh wait, the flick has been removed/nerfed? Now it's just two people squirming next to each other in the most un-sexy way imaginable.

It's like the meta-game is really broken.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Second practice today. My thighs are doing much better!

I don't know how the etiquette goes exactly, but before this devolves into open fencing discussion, I suppose this could be locked. I feel I've got a fair amount of solid advice and perspective about the sport and how to train for it.

Perhaps a fencing thread in the preferred discussion forum (D&D, SE++) would be more appropriate. Thank you to all advisors!

Kazaka on
    edited September 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

I don't know how the etiquette goes exactly, but before this devolves into open fencing discussion, I suppose this could be locked. I feel I've got a fair amount of solid advice and perspective about the sport and how to train for it.

Perhaps a fencing thread in the preferred discussion forum (D&D, SE++) would be more appropriate. Thank you to all advisors!

Ah, sorry. I guess it's partly my fault for the OT discussion.

Glad to hear you're doing better. The first practice in a while (or ever) sucks the most. Do you think you will continue for a while?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited September 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Glad to hear you're doing better. The first practice in a while (or ever) sucks the most. Do you think you will continue for a while?

Not your fault, I just don't want to create a meandering fencing thread in H/A and potentially get busted for it

And yes I plan to join up with the club team and keep it going through college. Fucking coach hasn't even looked at me yet though. He's always saying shit like "your build is good for foil" and asking people if they're freshmen, presumably for team building purposes. It's worrisome - I seriously don't even think my technique is that bad. I'm not getting enough distance on lunges still, and my fleche is fucking disgusting really, but no one else is any better, honestly.

(/rant)

Kazaka on
    edited September 2010

Not your fault, I just don't want to create a meandering fencing thread in H/A and potentially get busted for it

And yes I plan to join up with the club team and keep it going through college. Fucking coach hasn't even looked at me yet though. He's always saying shit like "your build is good for foil" and asking people if they're freshmen, presumably for team building purposes. It's worrisome - I seriously don't even think my technique is that bad. I'm not getting enough distance on lunges still, and my fleche is fucking disgusting really, but no one else is any better, honestly.

(/rant)

Meh, coaches are pressured by the university to get funds and bodies to maintain a club. Your coach is actually the #1 indicator of the quality of the fencers. If he or she has good competition experience/results, it's a good sign you will be good too. That's just how it typically works, unfortunately.

No one's technique is good at first; fencing is not natural. The length on your lunge isn't the primary concern, try to get more explosion and speed. Also, no one has a good flesche so don't worry.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited September 2010

(/rant)

Meh, coaches are pressured by the university to get funds and bodies to maintain a club. Your coach is actually the #1 indicator of the quality of the fencers. If he or she has good competition experience/results, it's a good sign you will be good too. That's just how it typically works, unfortunately.

No one's technique is good at first; fencing is not natural. The length on your lunge isn't the primary concern, try to get more explosion and speed. Also, no one has a good flesche so don't worry.

I totally understand that he's serious business and has a job to do, but you'd think he'd have at least asked if I was a freshman at this point. I only say it's worrisome because it's making me think I am even more green at this than the people he has asked stuff like that to. Nonetheless, showing up for Saturday's extra thing should at least show him that I'm not dicking around.

Kazaka on