As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frogatto - Free 2D Plaformer from the creators of Wesnoth

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
So when I stopped by the Battle for Wesnoth site today, my eyes were drawn to a banner at the top advertising a new game.

So I followed the link, downloaded the game, and y'know what? I like it. So, I'm posting it here since the title character's name returned zero results in the search.

banner-frogatto-huge.png
Click to visit site

Bugs.png

Frogatto is an open-source “platformer” or “jump-and-run” videogame. Like in many classic games, the world is viewed as a cross-section seen from the side, and your character (in this case, a small green fellow named Frogatto) walks and jumps between solid platforms, whilst avoiding monsters. We’re not trying to clone any specific game, but we inevitably have a lot in common with other games just by being in the genre. We are trying to innovate a bit.

Frogatto is a finished, fully-playable game. We’re planning to add a bunch of other stuff to it, but we have a complete start-to-finish single-player story you can play right now – just check out our Download page.

Other FAQ-ish type info:
What does it run on?

Frogatto was written for computers (windows, mac, and linux), and the iPhone. It runs well on any iPhone, even the oldest ones.

As for computers, it runs on Mac, Linux, or Windows, and should work on any computer made in the last 8 years or so. Specifically, you need OpenGL support, and at least Windows XP or Mac OS 10.4. Hardware needs to be at least: 40mb of ram, a 500mhz CPU, and a graphics card at least as good as the first ATI radeons.

People have suggested ports to various platforms (like PSP, DS, etc). We ourselves are completely incapable of doing this – we know nothing about programming for these, we don’t own these devices ourselves, and we can’t afford to pay someone else to do it. If you can do a port, we’d be happy to do business with you (including potential freeware releases, such as for the Pandora/GP2x). But asking our current team to do it is useless.

How much does it cost?

On computers? Nothing. Enjoy it, and please spread the word!

On the iPhone? Between $1 – $5, depending if it’s on sale.

Can I help out?

Sure. We’re open to level designs, and new puzzles. However, keep in mind that if you do help out, we’re not going to pay you, and anything you give us is ours to sell. We’re not jerks, here, we’re just covering our butt by not making any promises. (Realistically, we’d probably put you in the credits, and if you were really, insanely good, we’d consider hiring you.)

What’s “Open Source”?

Open source means you can see (and reuse) the code we built the game from. This makes frogatto infinitely moddable (and fixable, and maintainable, unlike closed-source ‘moddable’ games which leave you permanently stuck with engine bugs or future incompatibilities). Even more importantly, this means you could take frogatto’s code and build your own 2d game out of it. We can help with advice on that – we’d love to see that happen.

We strongly welcome mods, and are interested in including any really good mods or new levels, in the core game.

We’re also interested in translations – at least, once we have code support for it. We’re looking into writing code to support that now, although we want to add it carefully.

Which parts are Open Source?

Our code is open-source, our content isn’t. We love the open-source movement, but because we’re trying to make money off of the project, we need legal protection against someone else selling it (or freely giving it away) when doing so would really hurt us. If we open-sourced everything, we’d have no protection at all. Overall, though, we’re huge fans of open-source, so if you want to reuse something we made that you’re not sure is open, please ask! We’ll probably say yes.

In fact, we’ve already done that with a few old tilesets and such: these can be found at OpenGameArt.

The license on the code is the GPL, but we’re doing a Qt-style dual-licensing model, so we insist that if you contribute something, you transfer the copyright to us. We of course immediately re-release it in our source tree as GPL, as you would want.

I’m a programmer. What are your dependencies?

You’ll need OpenGL, GLEW, SDL (plus SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer, and SDL_image), and Boost (specifically regex and system). LibPNG is needed for making a ‘precompiled’ set of images to use on computers (it saves video-ram and makes the game run faster).

I went through the first few levels myself, and had fun with it. I've been a fan of Battle for Wesnoth for quite some time now so I felt it fair to give this game a shot.

Not sure how it stacks up against a lot of other platformers just yet, but so far I'm liking it - and I love games that use this type of art style.

citizen059 on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the art style and I liked Battle for Wesnoth so I'll probably put this on my thumbdrive and take it to work with me.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I played this a few weeks ago and was really disappointed. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and the sound is pretty good overall, but the levels are a bit bland and the platforming is kinda clunky.

Frem on