As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portland.... should I?

13»

• Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've recently moved up here myself and am looking for an apartment and having a hell of time just not knowing what's good. Taking internet reviews to strongly to heart isn't helping matters. I don't have a job yet and haven't admittedly been looking since I have a decent bit saved up and am living free with my uncle until I get everything squared. I've been spending the days just wondering around Portland and trying to eat at every pizza place I find. ha. I'm just having a hell of a time figuring out what part of the town I want to live in. Part of me wants to live as close to downtown, if not directly in downtown, as possible while the other thinks living anywhere will be fine since commuting isn't a big issue anywhere I end up.

Anyone know of decent studio apartment locations in the 600-700 (or lower!) range? I've been scouring Padmapper pretty regularly but i just don't know what's good and what's not so good when the reviews start popping up.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    . . . I've been spending the days just wondering around Portland and trying to eat at every pizza place I find. ha. . . .

Have you tried this one? http://www.apizzascholls.com/

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well for that price on studios/1brs I would look mostly on the east side.

Or just walk around the NW (not the Pearl) area and see all the apartment buildings with bedrooms for rent. I've seen lots walking around there without seeing them online in any way. Think I even saw a 1br above some boutique on NW 23rd (Trendythird) for something like 475$ once.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Well for that price on studios/1brs I would look mostly on the east side.

Or just walk around the NW (not the Pearl) area and see all the apartment buildings with bedrooms for rent. I've seen lots walking around there without seeing them online in any way. Think I even saw a 1br above some boutique on NW 23rd (Trendythird) for something like 475$ once.

That had to have been the size of a closet.

Esh on
    edited September 2010
    It wasn't! It was decently sized at least from the sq. footage if I remember.

How do you like the SE side Esh? I was looking at a 1600 sq foot townhome over near Woodstock, but it was above a restaurant and I didn't feel like food smells, noise and added possibility of rats.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited September 2010
    It wasn't! It was decently sized at least from the sq. footage if I remember.

How do you like the SE side Esh? I was looking at a 1600 sq foot townhome over near Woodstock, but it was above a restaurant and I didn't feel like food smells, noise and added possibility of rats.

Woodstock is pretty extreme SE. I've never lived over there. I try to stick to the shallow areas as close to downtown as possible.

Esh on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    . . . I've been spending the days just wondering around Portland and trying to eat at every pizza place I find. ha. . . .

Dammit man, now I'll probably have to drive up there to get a Pizza. Damn you and your tantalizing ways!:P

Ticaldfjam on
    edited September 2010
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Namel3ss wrote: »

Dammit man, now I'll probably have to drive up there to get a Pizza. Damn you and your tantalizing ways!:P

Get in line early.

Esh on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    edit: intended for Aphostile

Woodstock is an awesome area, but it is pretty far south. If that's not a problem then check it out.

One area I recommend is Garden Park Apartments or thereabouts. It's literally right behind Reed College and you can walk around freely their and use their fields/footbridge, etc. The neighborhood itself is very nice looking, with a lot of fancier apartments for older rich people.

Close to 39th and pretty close to Powell/Brooklyn, really close to Westmoreland Park and close to Woodstock, fairly close to Sellwood. Decent prices from what I remember. My dad lived there when I was growing up and I always liked the area and the apartments themselves.

Zenitram on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interview went well. If all goes according to plan I should have an on-campus interview in mid-October.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2010
    All the areas I looked at would've been fine but I think my girlfriend was sold on the Goose Hollow townhome. Will find out by tomorrow at the earliest or Monday/Tuesday at the latest about the approval!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    The job I am applying for is at Portland State University, since someone asked a few posts ago. Thanks for all the good information folks. I think this really helped make up my mind. I'll probably revive this thread once I know if I got the job with some more pointed questions.

Oh, I go there. Great campus. It's in SW Portland on the edge of downtown.

That's where I lived. Up on the hill, literally neighbors with OHSU.

Henroid on
    edited September 2010
    A good question for the localites here, what are some good food trucks in the SW/NW you recommend?

I've found http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ and have seen a few near my office that I will check out when I start next month, but this is pretty limited.

Didn't have this kind've food resource available to me back where I lived in CA, so I'm jazzed to try out new stuff here!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
    edited September 2010
    A good question for the localites here, what are some good food trucks in the SW/NW you recommend?

I've found http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ and have seen a few near my office that I will check out when I start next month, but this is pretty limited.

Didn't have this kind've food resource available to me back where I lived in CA, so I'm jazzed to try out new stuff here!

Spella for coffee (probably the best in the city, fuck Stumptown). Brunch Box. Koi Fusion (although the truck moves around, get on their Twitter for locations).

Esh on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I can't help you there, but the food trucks at PSU are top notch.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Fuego! is quite good and they have a ton of carts so there will probably be one near you. They make really good burritos to your specifications.

baudattitude on
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Koi Fusion parks near the Jackson street dormitory fairly often. I've been wanting to try the caribbean cart that's in that pod down there as well.

Esh on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't really bother "following" food carts because I don't work downtown, but when I am down there I've rarely had bad luck just picking one at random.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    holy cow... I want to move there now just for these awesome sounding food carts!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zenitram wrote: »
    My suggestions:

-Don't live farther east than 72nd Ave (82nd has great restaurants but it run-down and is notorious for petty crime).
    -Use CrimeMapper to see what an area is like before you commit to a place. Violent crime is very low in Portland, but that won't make you feel better when your car window is busted out and your stereo gone.
    -Stay away from MLK Blvd.
    -Keep us updated on what you're looking for and what locations you have in mind.

Sorry if this is all jumbled up, it was sort of stream-of-conciousness :)

Shallow MLK isn't bad at all. Near the Wonder Ballroom and what not. Past say...Fremont I wouldn't live though.

I just saw this, and wanted to know, why is every street named MLK a terrible terrible street? Over here in Chattanooga, which is practically the opposite side of the country, it's much the same.

SniperGuy on
  • FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    holy cow... I want to move there now just for these awesome sounding food carts!

This is basically what rstevens told me when we talked about Portland at Robogames. I haven't made it up there yet but I have felt the same way ever since. Man I love me some food carts.

Fagatron on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Koi Fusion parks near the Jackson street dormitory fairly often. I've been wanting to try the caribbean cart that's in that pod down there as well.

To clarify, the row of food carts on 4th, between College and Hall, across the street from the Portland Planning Bureau and the Engineering School.

I am a card carrying meat eater, and when I worked at the OHSU waterfront, I made a point of taking the streetcar up to frequent the Vegan BBQ food cart. Some of the best fake meat around, and the Mac N Nocheese is delicious.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited September 2010
    Well my office is on 5th and Clay so I'm looking around that area for foodcarts, seems like the PSU pods on 4th are my best bet. Looks like quite a few tasty ones too :) Actually, it's part of the same building that a PSU office and the DMV share. I can't imagine taking a driver's test downtown, that would suck.

In response to MLK street and crime, don't know. It fits every comics MO to use that joke though. For reference, Las Vegas' MLK, also terrible. You don't want to be there.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.