As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Even I got the feeling Dante knew it was petty when he said it. He was baiting the boss to respond and the boss fell for it while Dante is grinning his ass off at how stupid the boss is. It was intentional, self-aware, for a purpose, trolling the enemy petty.
    I just wish they'd let you do that on command cos then I woulda been all over this game.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i didnt actually mind nu dante that much

being schoolyard insulting to an ancient demon is pretty funny

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Well I beat it. Was hoping I'd warm up to the characters and the story by the end but I really didn't. Dante was an okay character, but I didn't care for Kat and Vergil was a dick. Mundas was easily my favorite. Loved his voice actor and the mocap on him.

Gameplay was pretty great. It got it hooks into enough that while not playing I was thinking of combos I could try out. But as a character action game I found it pretty lacking. It doesn't help that I played Revengeance a couple a months ago and started DmC immediately after beating Bayonetta, and compared to those games DmC's mechanics left a lot to be desired. I don't like how they restricted you to certain weapons for certain enemies, and I don't like how their idea of enemy design was to slap shields on them. This enemy can only be hit from the front, this enemy can only be hit from behind, this enemy has a shield that you have to break. It made it really annoying when they dropped all these enemies into an arena at once. Boss fights were kind of underwhelming.

I did really dig mapping different weapons to the triggers though, switching between them to create cool looking moves was easy and felt great. The grappling mechanics? SO GOOD. I freaking loved traversing areas by grappling about and angel gliding. Just really fun. And pulling enemies and launching them higher and pulling yourself closer to them was cool.

Level design was amazing. Probably my favorite part of the game. The visual design and the colors were all super original. Seeing parts of limbo break away or push in to crush you never got old.

Even with all my complaints it's definitely fun and I plan to play more, yet I'm still glad it sold badly. Partly because I much prefer 3 and 4, and partly because Ninja Theory is awesome and I'd rather see them do a new ip than make a sequel to this.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm half-cut and downloading this from XBL right now (£26! Excellent value). Looking forward to giving it a run-out, it looks awesome.

DRUNKEN OPINIONS TO FOLLOW

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Woot!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Ok I'm in. Opening cut scene.

Mundus' VA is very good.

Boobs. Innuendo. Uncanny valley.

• Options
    Game is gorgeous.

And fucked up.

• Options
    I died to that first Hunter guy. I suck.

• Options
    Try to count how many times the levels literally tell you to fuck off.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Just beat it.

Fantastic game.

Jumping straight back in to play on the next difficulty setting.

• Options
    Monger wrote: »
    I really don't see the big deal with these expectations.

All they should care about is if they made a profit. I don't know if they did, but seriously, millions of sales expectations?
    Inafune said this. In these exact words. Several times. Publicly.

They threw his ass out on the curb for it.
    I don't mind old Dante's attitude, actually, and new Dante is actually pretty similar in his demeanor. A bit more brash, a few less one liners, but similar

I just hate the way the character looks

I just think it'd be going backwards, really
    They're really only similar on the shallowest of levels. Old Dante was goofy, and his goofiness just highlighted the fact that he had enough swagger to not care about being seen as goofy. New Dante is perpetually trying to impress everyone in a way that makes him seem extremely insecure, to the point of having an argument with Vergil about dick size. In DMC3, Dante tries to make a move on Lady. She literally rolls her eyes and says "ugh." His response to this more or less constitutes "welp, I tried," and he proceeds to help her anyway out of nothing but compassion. There are very few points in new DmC where Dante's motivations come off as something other than wanting to bang Kat, right down to his speech at the end.

At the end of DMC3, Dante cries. At the end of DmC, Dante does not. This is telling.

I find that a very odd interpretation. in DmC Dante never even hit on Kat. And in dealing with his brother and Kat I found him to be very compassionate, personally. He was juvenile to the demons, because fuck 'em, they are demons.

But in his "day to day" dealings with the other cast I found him to act far more like an actual human being than old Dante.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    dp

Spaffy on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Just beat it.

Fantastic game.

Jumping straight back in to play on the next difficulty setting.

That was quick :-)

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yep, played straight thorough that fucker! But I'm not a completionist. Only found 3 keys my entire play through. Only just started figuring out how complicated this stuff can be. Excited to learn more.

Also

Dat nightclub level

Spaffy on
  • Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone still plays this, but I'm going to bump the thread because I picked it up over the Halloween Steam Sale and it's a good game.

I'm surprised by how much I liked it, actually, given the pretty much complete overhaul of both story and mechanics. The devil/angel weapons turned out to be pretty neat, and the chains are incredible. Like @Morninglord I missed the taunt at first, but eventually realized it was a conscious design choice--having the chains available means there's no reason to ever perform a filler move.

My only quibble so far is that the Vergil DLC sucks (I'm five missions in). The writing feels phoned-in and some of the boss fights (especially
    Hollow Vergil
    feel arbitrarily difficult (no obvious attack windows or stagger moves). Vergil's moveset keeps things fresh, at least, but he seems to lack both Dante's power and his versatility. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, though?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Their stated reason for removing taunt was that it was contrary to their plot line which was dark and angst and having the player choose to taunt at any time was apparently less appropriate than filling the cutscenes and fights with their carefully sanctioned and timed auto taunts.
    Chains had nothing to do with it.

Never forgive.

Never forget.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    But it's still pointless to have now

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I love pointless things. That's why I play video games.
    I hold no illusions.
    Our hobby is slackersville leisure times.
    It's a good idea to never forget that either.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I thought he music was pretty good for the entire game. Mundus' theme takes the cake though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3NwN966EeU

Do not fuck with a god

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So, this game is coming to the PS4 and XB1 March 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOYc4zdTEo#t=97

Here's a list of some of the changes and additions.

60 fps and 1080p resolution — It looks and feels super smooth to play.
    Uprezzed Graphics — Including textures, characters, and cinematics.
    Big Bundle of Content — The game includes DmC: Devil May Cry, plus all released DLC: Vergil’s Downfall campaign, 3 Dante skins, 3 Dante weapon skins, and the item finder.
    New Skins — 2 new character skins. Devil May Cry 1 Dante and Classic Vergil.
    Turbo Mode — Turbo Mode returns to the Devil May Cry series, with the game running 20% faster in this mode.
    Hardcore Mode — Hardcore mode retains the experience of DmC, but with a throwback to the classic Devil May Cry games in terms of balance. In this mode, which can be toggled on all difficulty levels, the style system has been rebalanced to make ranking up much harder and ranks deteriorate much quicker. In addition, Devil Trigger doesn’t launch enemies into the air, parrying takes more skill, and all enemies hand out more damage.
    Manual Target Lock — We’ve seen more requests for this than any other feature! The manual target lock works as closely to the classic Devil May Cry lock on as possible and has fully configurable controls.
    Vergil Bloody Palace — Only second to Manual Target Lock in terms of the number of fan requests! This is a new Bloody Palace mode featuring 60 levels and Vergil as the playable character.
    Must Style Mode — This is a hardcore modifier on an epic scale that can be played over any difficulty level. Players must be at an S rank or higher to deal any damage to enemies.
    Gods Must Die Difficulty Mode — This is DmC Definitive Edition’s hardest difficulty mode. It takes DmC’s ridiculously hard Dante Must Die mode and adds a touch more punishment: All enemies spawn with Devil Trigger active and no items or health drops can be used.
    Rebalanced and Retuned — We’ve studied fan feedback and made a whole host of tweaks and balance changes. The style system has been rebalanced, as have bosses. Exploits have been fixed in combat and some of Dante’s moves rebalanced, such as the Demon Evade. Gameplay tweaks have been made following hardcore player testing; frames have been removed from Kablooey shots, Parry/Evade windows adjusted, and collectibles, keys and doors redistributed.
    Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.
    New Cutscene — an added cinematic scene that never made it into the original.

Let me reiterate on something there.

the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.

Viskod on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    All of those additions sound awesome

I didn't know target lock was a thing people were clamoring for, I never even thought about its absence in the original

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I will play this, as I was one of the 17 people on the internet who thought it was a great game. If its full price, maybe not so much.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Hm, any chance they will port these things to the PC version?

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Hm, any chance they will port these things to the PC version?

I hope so. DmC is probably the most underrated game of last year.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Not sure why you would tout "makes the combat boring and uninteresting" as a positive

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Denying player options is bad.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...what the fuck.

I mean, DmC turned out better than its craptastic first trailer suggested, but it still didn't sell all that well. Yet it's getting a remake anyway?

I don't think we're at peak upports yet, but we're getting damn close.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options

I'm indifferent to the change, but it's hardly denying player options. It's not like you can only have one or the other the entirety of the game. You just have to switch weapons mid-combat that took a single button press. Not big deal.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

That's not denying player options, it's taking away a core tenet of the combat system. That's like saying "we've removed the ability to use swords" is just giving a player options.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It is denying the player options and contradicts the open way you can freely move from one weapon to another mid-combo. It's boring and tedious.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ha! They're adding a Devil May Cry 1 skin? Now everyone will be happy!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Devil May Cry 4 is also getting re-released this summer.

Re-releases for everyone!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Viskod wrote: »
    *snip*

Well...huh.

I have absolutely nothing awful to say about this and I'm actually interested in playing DmC with those changes. Here's hoping this update comes to PC.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ha! They're adding a Devil May Cry 1 skin? Now everyone will be happy!

They are also adding Vergil's DMC3 Skin as well. Like goddammit PS4 stop giving me reasons to buy you!

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hardcore mode sounds at least part of the way towards getting the game back in line with the series. Honestly, though, unless they've made enemies way more aggressive, revisited all their abilities, and generally given you more way to approach them than one (this extends beyond the color coding), it might not matter. Enemy design was by far the biggest problem with this game. Also, the story.

Also, my potential interest here depends highly on whether any of this makes it to the PC version.
    I hope so. DmC is probably the most underrated game of last year.
    Shadow Warrior. By a mile.

Monger on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Heres to hoping this is a sign of things to come for DMC5..

Vote Vergil for new series protagonist!

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Its a Special Edition. I'm far more excited about that, considering 3's SE added playable Vergil and Jester fights.

That said, manual lock-on, colored enemy nerfs, 60fps, and hardcore mode might actually make it worth giving DmC another playthrough.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That's not denying player options, it's taking away a core tenet of the combat system. That's like saying "we've removed the ability to use swords" is just giving a player options.

Wait...what are you saying here?

Because the Red/Blue system is them ACTUALLY saying, "We've removed the ability to use swords".

Like, that's literally what it does.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Its a Special Edition. I'm far more excited about that, considering 3's SE added playable Vergil and Jester fights.
    The teaser for it is a picture of Vergil and his DMC3 actor saying "I need more power." Chances of Vergil are high.

Totally willing to buy a third copy of DMC4, though I hope they offer SE content as an addon at least for the PC version, like they've occasionally done with Street Fighter.

Now I'm kind of in the mood to see what broke in my Style Switcher install, and maybe play some more DMC3.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    It seems like a safe bet they'll excise the dice mini games and other spotty one-off elements like that, but I wonder if they'll change the whole "ok, now just play through all of the levels again going the other way" element that was so widely derided.