As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wraith Kickstarter has less than 24 hours left. They're up to 270K

• Options
    Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've always had an interest in WoD but never actually been involved with their RPGs (or any RPG for that matter).

I'm keen on trying any of the systems but I can't seem to find any interest at all here - North East England. Am I late for the party ?

Does anyone have some advice for someone looking to get involved ?

Thanks

I imagine you've already checked with your local tabletop game store. Your best bet might be looking for online games. Try the roll20 forums, rpg.net forums, somethingawful forms (if you want to spend money), /tg/ gamefinder threads, and other places for folks looking for online games. People tend to use Roll20, google hangouts, IRC and skype for that kind of thing.

The PA fanbase is kinda thin, so don't expect to find many online WoD games starting up here.

Good luck friend, and welcome.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I always felt like of the oWoD lines Changeling: The Dreaming was the most bleak. It is a setting all about the death of innocence and loss of imagination. For now you get to explore in this Wonderland of color and adventure, but inevitable you get ripped back to reality and in time everyone succombs to Banality.

It's completely heartbreaking. Or maybe I'm just a big weenie. Or both. I'm leaning both.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    I would say that oWoD Werewolf is more bleak. At least with changeling you'll probably reincarnate if you're not shanked with an iron knife. Werewolves are going to face the end of everything, forever, with no afterlife at all. Just a futile war to fight,

• Options
    I would say that oWoD Werewolf is more bleak. At least with changeling you'll probably reincarnate if you're not shanked with an iron knife. Werewolves are going to face the end of everything, forever, with no afterlife at all. Just a futile war to fight,

Except the war ended and they won.

• Options
    Don't get me wrong. Werewolf was pretty damn bleak. I have less sympathy for nu metal eco-terrorists than I do childhood innocence. 8-)

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Hello all,

I've always had an interest in WoD but never actually been involved with their RPGs (or any RPG for that matter).

I'm keen on trying any of the systems but I can't seem to find any interest at all here - North East England. Am I late for the party ?

Thanks

I imagine you've already checked with your local tabletop game store. Your best bet might be looking for online games. Try the roll20 forums, rpg.net forums, somethingawful forms (if you want to spend money), /tg/ gamefinder threads, and other places for folks looking for online games. People tend to use Roll20, google hangouts, IRC and skype for that kind of thing.

The PA fanbase is kinda thin, so don't expect to find many online WoD games starting up here.

I will say that every WoD game I've started here has always had more than enough turnout, so the interest is here. Keeping it, that's the trick...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

There wasn't a canon ending, Apocalypse had multiple scenarios, and even if there was a canon ending it would have been retconned by all the new stuff that's coming out.
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. Werewolf was pretty damn bleak. I have less sympathy for nu metal eco-terrorists than I do childhood innocence. 8-)

Fair enough. I haven't read a whole lot of changeling stuff so I can't compare, but oWoD werewolves were a giant pack of assholes, no doubt. Too bad they were in charge of saving the world. Great job doing that Garou. High five.

• Options
    LurkYouLongTimeLurkYouLongTime Registered User regular
    Hello all,

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I managed to find a game on roll20 with some guys who are running intro sessions.

I'm assuming that with experience, char creation becomes more natural! It's a daunting experience for a first timer!

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I always felt like of the oWoD lines Changeling: The Dreaming was the most bleak. It is a setting all about the death of innocence and loss of imagination. For now you get to explore in this Wonderland of color and adventure, but inevitable you get ripped back to reality and in time everyone succombs to Banality.

It's completely heartbreaking. Or maybe I'm just a big weenie. Or both. I'm leaning both.

Few things are sadder than a Grump struggling to remember the adventures of his Wilder youth. Run from the chill wind of reality and into the warm embrace of dreams!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hello all,

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I managed to find a game on roll20 with some guys who are running intro sessions.

I'm assuming that with experience, char creation becomes more natural! It's a daunting experience for a first timer!

Yeah, there can be a lot of options. And some splats have more options then others plus the various additional books. I generally find with WoD that it's easier to start with the overall character concept then create a build from there rather then the other way around.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular

There wasn't a canon ending, Apocalypse had multiple scenarios, and even if there was a canon ending it would have been retconned by all the new stuff that's coming out.

Maybe he means w20? Curious to hear how the fluff has advanced into the 21st century for that one.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    I was referring to the fiction book, The Last Battle.

• Options
    Hello all,

Thanks

Glad to help. Let us know if you need any help making characters or anything else. I'm sure there will be someone here familiar with your game line of choice.
    I was referring to the fiction book, The Last Battle.

They're making more of those now too :http://www.drivethrufiction.com/product/123751/Rites-of-Renown-When-Will-You-Rage-II?manufacturers_id=4261

Can you dig up a quote to support that it was the canonical ending to the W:TA line? I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but it kinda clashes with how hard they ran away from the idea of a One True Ending in the Time Of Judgement tabletop books. That and WW seemed pretty eager to get away from metaplot with the nWoD on the horizon.

The ToJ was like 11 years ago now. Christ I'm old.

• Options
    Can you dig up a quote to support that it was the canonical ending to the W:TA line?

I was just making a sly remark, I didn't mean to imply it was the one true ending. My bad.

• Options
    Can you dig up a quote to support that it was the canonical ending to the W:TA line?

I was just making a sly remark, I didn't mean to imply it was the one true ending. My bad.

Ah, sorry. I'm not great on picking up on sarcasm. The internet medium doesn't help.

• Options
    edited January 2015

...snip...

Glad to help. Let us know if you need any help making characters or anything else. I'm sure there will be someone here familiar with your game line of choice.

Well now that you mention it ! It's a VTM20 game set in Lousiana, 1999/2000. I'm trying out a (probably trite) Bayou loving Gangrel. Coming up with suitable backgrounds is hard - I've taken Domain and Retainer but I'm not sure anything else would really "fit".

LurkYouLongTime on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Oh hey Werewolf's apocalypse scenarios.

Yeah in the Camarilla (WW's official RP community) the Black Spiral Dancers tried to resummon Eater-of-Souls until their general finally realized what they were doing, threw down his sword, and swore allegience to Gaia, making the BSD a gaian tribe. Most of the tribe either died stopping EoS, died in the ensuing civil war, or did not follow Gaia. Those that followed Gaia and survived left Whippoorwill and began following Bat. Meanwhile the Red Talons discovered their totem, Griffin, had fallen to the wyrm, so they abandoned him for Lion (the former totem of the White Howlers before they became the BSD), making them the White Talons.

And if you think that is farfetched then ask me about what happened in Gehenna...

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So...

What happened in Gehenna?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So...

What happened in Gehenna?

Well let's see. First, during the Time of Thin Blood, Hardestadt the Younger went before the UN on live international television and confirmed, unequivocally, the existence of vampires. All this really accomplished was bringing the war between the Camarilla and the Sabbat further out into the open.

Fast forward to the events of Gehenna itself. Saulot's spirit awoke in Tremere's body and kicked his spirit out. Tremere's spirit went into Goratrix (who was leader of the Tremere antitribu), and called together and then destroyed all of the Tremere antis. Saulot's return led to all Tremere gaining a third eye that was always open when they used Thaumaturgy, and that not one single Tremere would acknowledge the existence of (even the Malkavians began to wonder about them).

Caine finally repented, asked forgiveness, and ascended to heaven. The couple dozen antediluvians (not all of whom were 3rd generation, and not all of whom had childer) waged war on the rest of the world.

If I remember correctly it came down to three factions. There were those who followed Hardestadt the Younger, who was actually the Ventrue antediluvian, in the pro-"antediluvians rule the world" faction (which included most of the Camarilla, the Tzimisce, and Giovanni), against the united Inconnu and anarchs in the anti-camp (led by Set, who was female, and including the Brujah, Lasombra, and Harbingers of Skulls). The third faction was mostly independent vampires (the largest groups were members of the Gangrel and Malkavians, but including members from all clans) simply wanted peace. Through repentance, they were able to reclaim their souls, either becoming human again (if very, very high generation) or ascending to heaven after their repentance (in basically all other cases).

Tox on
  • Options
    Time of Thin Blood!

Gah just reading that was a flood of emotions and memories...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I thought that Ravnos woke up and the mages had to drop a magical nuke on his head to kill him, taking out all the Eastern Cainittes with him. This is by no way first hand knowledge, mind you.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    That also happened, that lead to a bunch of terrible other things though. Really impacted the mages if I remember right. Something about the souls causing issues with the Gauntlet or something? It's been a long time. Or that might have been something to do with the Mummies...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh yeah... Mages could no longer enter the Umbra. Or at least not without great effort. I remember hearing that.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    I thought that Ravnos woke up and the mages had to drop a magical nuke on his head to kill him, taking out all the Eastern Cainittes with him. This is by no way first hand knowledge, mind you.
    Yeah, this happened during the Week of Nightmares. The Ravnos antediluvian woke up in India and kinda started rampaging. It was held at bay by 3 Kuei-jin Bodhisattvas (I think it's like the Kui-jin equivalent of a methuselah, in terms of power), who summoned up a storm to blot out the sun over the area and physically fought it to a standstill. Technocracy noticed the supernatural commotion, went to take a look, and ended up dropping magical nukes on the combatants. This caused the Kuei-jin to lose control of the storm, and when the clouds parted, the sunlight destroyed the antediluvian (I think the Technocracy were focusing the sunlight, too, but I don't remember the details). The Ravnos antediluvian ate all nearby Ravnos vampires, and all the remaining ones pretty much went crazy and got themselves killed after it died. So, there are very few Ravnos left in the Final Nights.

But, the Week of Nightmares wasn't Gehenna, it was just the lead-in for the Final Nights.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    the pro-"antediluvians rule the world" faction (which included most of the Camarilla, the Tzimisce, and Giovanni), against the united Inconnu and anarchs in the anti-camp (led by Set, who was female, and including the Brujah, Lasombra, and Harbingers of Skulls)
    Wait, hold up, the Camarilla was on the "pro-antediluvians ruling the world" side of things? Shouldn't that have been the Sabbat? The entire MO of the Camarilla has been "Antediluvians don't exist, stop spreading rumors and go back to doing what your sire told you to do"; how come they flipped to being antediluvian lackeys?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    It makes sense if you see them as having been puppets of the antediluvians the whole time.

"Stop looking for us and keep a low profile to keep the humans from looking for us."

Nealneal on
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Yep! Well, the Technocracy did, specifically.

See, what had happened was...the Ravnos had been waging war against the Kindred of the East. In an effort to gain the upper hand, they began embracing en masse and sending fledgling neonates into battle.

This led to lots and lots of Ravnos blood being spilled. That led to the awakening of powerful Methuselahs, who joined the war, which led to the blood of ancillae and elders being spilled. This woke the Ravnos antediluvian, who began diablerizing elders and methuselah, and then decided to eat Bangladesh.

It was a combined effort that eventually stopped Zapathasura, and the final blow came from the Technocracy, who dropped a pair of magical nukes in both the physical and spirit realms.

The nukes accomplished a few things:
    - Zapathasura was killed ("barely")
    - The Sixth Great Maelstrom was triggered, destroying the Wraiths
    - The Abyssal Prison was shattered, releasing into the world the fallen angels of Demon: the Fallen
    - Reportedly the Umbra around the area was destroyed so utterly that werewolves can't even get to it from there. Like, there's no umbra there to go to.
    - The Avatar Storm was whipped up, shunting basically any Mage above Arete 5 into the Umbra, flaying the avatars of most of them in the process, and more or less cutting off the Umbra from the physical world within that game.

Tox on
  • Options
    the pro-"antediluvians rule the world" faction (which included most of the Camarilla, the Tzimisce, and Giovanni), against the united Inconnu and anarchs in the anti-camp (led by Set, who was female, and including the Brujah, Lasombra, and Harbingers of Skulls)
    Wait, hold up, the Camarilla was on the "pro-antediluvians ruling the world" side of things? Shouldn't that have been the Sabbat? The entire MO of the Camarilla has been "Antediluvians don't exist, stop spreading rumors and go back to doing what your sire told you to do"; how come they flipped to being antediluvian lackeys?

Well, basically...
    Nealneal wrote: »
    It makes sense if you see them as having been puppets of the antediluvians the whole time.

"Stop looking for us and keep a low profile to keep the humans from looking for us."

This, basically this. As it turns out, one of the founders of the Camarilla, Hardestadt the Elder (and later Hardestadt the Younger), was an antediluvian the whole time. The Camarilla's categorical denial of the antediluvians' existence basically allowed the antediluvians to play them all for puppets. Most of the front lines didn't know what they were fighting for, they just new that the Inconnu had banded together and was trying to destroy the Inner Circle and other powerful Camarilla vampires. The actual truth of the matter was only known by a very, very Camarilla vampires outside of the very highest ranks.

And even then, it kind of boils down to "the devil you know."

• Options
    edited January 2015
    V:tM Fun Facts, special Antediluvian edition:

- Ventrue: masqueraded as Hardestadt the Elder, and later Hardestadt the Younger. Was literally playing the entire Camarilla for its entire history.
    - Toreador: Reawoken during the final nights and basically assisted Hardestadt/Ventrue.
    - Tremere: Got his own body repo'd by Saulot of Salubri. Possessed his former assistant Goratrix and destroyed all Tremere who were not Camarilla.
    - Brujah: At the moment his only child attempted to diaberize him, he used his mastery of time to hurl himself forward into the Dark Ages, where he aligned with Lilith against his former clan and the other antediluvians. Ilyes was one of the leaders of the Inconnu during the Final Nights, and the "True" Brujah largely did not participate in the war.
    - Nosferatu: Pretty much hates everything he is and his entire clan and is only slightly more subtle than Ravnos in his attempts to eat his entire lineage.
    - Malkavian: Ever heard of the Malkvanian Madness Network? It's a psychic link amongst all Malkavian vampires. It's also, apparently, Malkav, who is rumored to have ascended to a higher plane of existence.
    - Ravnos: Tries to eat his lineage, causes the Week of Nightmares, dies like a bitch.
    - Giovanni: Also buys into Ventrue's plan, allying himself and his clan with the Camarilla. For, like, five seconds before the other Antediluvians murder the fuck out of his punk ass.
    - Set: Reawakens during the final nights to lead a coalition of Inconnu, Brujah, Lasombra, and anarch vampires against the Camarilla.
    - Gangrel: Gangrel's special discipline eventually allows them to meld with the earth, which is exactly what their founder did. She quite literally became mother earth.
    - Assamite: Recalled many of his progeny to Alamut, largely was disinterested in the Jyhad, though many of his clan were anxious to go to war with the Camarilla.
    - Lasombra: "Dead" by all accounts, the essence of the creature passed into and joined with the Abyss.
    - Tzimisce: "Dead" by all accounts, has actually metamorphosed into some sort of fungal creature that covers the sewers of most of the tri-state area and can pretty much change shape at-will and form any body it needs. Ends up supporting the Camarilla during the Final Nights largely by convincing its clan that it never existed (the greatest trick the devil pulled...)

Tox on
  • Options
    - Ravnos: Tries to eat his lineage, causes the Week of Nightmares, dies like a bitch.
    Dies like a bitch... after several days of being beaten down by the combined efforts of representatives from just about every oWoD game.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Yeah, Ravnos went down like a champ.

It took an event that basically killed the astral plane to drop him.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    I think being forced to go with the nuclear option to kill just one fucking guy mean you can qualify that as "like a boss".

• Options
    edited January 2015
    All things being relative, he was an antediluvian. Dying at all pretty much implies doing so like a bitch.

e: Granted part of the problem is likely that they keep trying to kill them using diablerie, widely believed to be the best and most effective (and also yummiest) way of killing a vampire. And it very consistently never fucking works on an antediluvian.

Tox on
  • Options
    It seems like if you diablerie them down, they shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

• Options

...snip...

Well now that you mention it ! It's a VTM20 game set in Lousiana, 1999/2000. I'm trying out a (probably trite) Bayou loving Gangrel. Coming up with suitable backgrounds is hard - I've taken Domain and Retainer but I'm not sure anything else would really "fit".

I was going to say I'm not much a vampire fan and can't help you, but I somehow have v20 on my drivethru account. Don't know how the hell it got there, but I'll have a look.

Resources, maybe? Lots of old money in Louisiana. Maybe Generation to go with the old school vibe? Herd for close family who will let you feed of them?

Anyone good with VtM around here?

• Options

...snip...

I was going to say I'm not much a vampire fan and can't help you, but I somehow have v20 on my drivethru account. Don't know how the hell it got there, but I'll have a look.

Resources, maybe? Lots of old money in Louisiana. Maybe Generation to go with the old school vibe? Herd for close family who will let you feed of them?

Hi again Stranger, thanks for looking into it ! I spoke with the ST and he also convinced me to go with Generation as these loner Gangrel types often don't have too many resources and prefer to go it alone. As it's an intro game I think it's also helpful to not try too many things at once.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

...snip...

Hi again Stranger, thanks for looking into it ! I spoke with the ST and he also convinced me to go with Generation as these loner Gangrel types often don't have too many resources and prefer to go it alone. As it's an intro game I think it's also helpful to not try too many things at once.

He could be in touch with the local gypsies or voodoo folk, though. Think wilderness.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dies like a bitch... after several days of being beaten down by the combined efforts of representatives from just about every oWoD game.

Master Level Chimerstry and Fortitude. That might not have even been him.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    It's clear to me what the Changeling: The Lost has for antagonists but what about Changeling: the Dreaming?