As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Interesting.

Not surprising, but still.

Question is: what's this mean for Requiem? I'm no fan, but I respect that it took work.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Question is: what's this mean for Requiem? I'm no fan, but I respect that it took work.

If this is actually a one-off book, and it looks like it is, then it likely doesn't mean anything for nWoD. The nWoD future release schedule is already a) anemic and b) PDF/POD-only, so it's not like they have any books to push back on the schedule to make room for this one - especially not if the new book is basically an expanded version of the VtM revised rulebook.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Interesting.

Not surprising, but still.

Probably nothing. The last print book for Requiem is Danse Macabre, which was just released. Like the rest of the nWoD, it'll be all PDF/POD from now on. There are PDF/POD books for Requiem being worked on, according to hearsay, but they haven't been announced yet.

I'd not be shocked if there were anniversary editions of Apocalypse and Ascension, but White Wolf's supplement treadmill has wound down for good, I think.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weren't there other new games in the pipeline? I really haven't been keeping up.

I'd pick up an anniversary rerelease of Ascension to see what all the hype's about, but what I read about it made my head hurt.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So you can only buy it if you go to their party? Weak. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure it'll be available afterward through retailers.

I hope.

If not, well, I've left Florida for dumber things. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heh, that's Austin City Limits weekend. No chance I'll be there. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Grand Masquerade does sound like a fun get-together. Probably a LARP version of the Conclave.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    skarsol wrote: »
    So you can only buy it if you go to their party? Weak. :P

They haven't announced any other publishing plans for it, but that doesn't mean that it won't be available in print, or at least in PDF.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd be shocked if they didn't make it available, in print, at some point. It would undoubtedly sell pretty well.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They've confirmed that it'll be available outside of the Grand Masquerade, for those who were wondering.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit. I wonder if this 20th anniversary book will use nWoD mechanics.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We can only hope.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They have a blog about the development that they're updating pretty much daily right now. It will not be nWoD mechanics, but they are changing a good number of the things most widely regarded as issues with the system, ie moving dodge into athletics. They are taking fans' suggestions into account on this, so if you have something you'd like to see it can't hurt to bring it up.

Edit: I for one will be picking this up day one. I wasn't the biggest fan of Vampire, but I did have a good time with it, and the oWoD was the sum total of my roleplaying in my earlier years, so this book serves a pretty good nostalgia point for me.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've never really played Masquerade sit-down. It should be fun to have everything in one neat book.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Oh shit. I wonder if this 20th anniversary book will use nWoD mechanics.

No, unfortunately, the 20th anniversary book is basically VtM Revised Edition with bugfixes and material compiled from other books.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've only LARPed and PBPed it, I've never played the sit-down version.

Pretty rad blog, I'll have to keep tabs on it. Justin's posting there too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mage Noir is good. It's not Requiem for Rome good, but it's still good. My main criticism of it was that, like much of Mage, it lacked...punch.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I started running a Mage LARP the other day, and I think I really need to get me the Sanctum & Sigil book. It's essentially the Mage 'Guide to the Camarilla'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I started running a Mage LARP the other day, and I think I really need to get me the Sanctum & Sigil book. It's essentially the Mage 'Guide to the Camarilla'.

You really, really don't. It is nothing like the Guide to the Camarilla, and it is very, very bad. It's poorly written and mostly useless information.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

You really, really don't. It is nothing like the Guide to the Camarilla, and it is very, very bad. It's poorly written and mostly useless information.

Really? It looked like the guide to Consilium politics, positions and such.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Really? It looked like the guide to Consilium politics, positions and such.

There is some of that, but it's nothing all that illuminating or important. It's a lot of padded, wordy re-writing of the corebook description of Consilium structures.

I mean, sure, the first section is about cabals, Consilium politics, magical law, etc, but it's...really not very good. And then the other sections aren't great either. The chapter on sanctums, ley lines, hallows, etc, is fine, but the one on Banisher cults and Seer pylons is garbage.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you really do want a copy though, CJ, you can have mine. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you when I get a chance.

I hate the book so much I just want it off my shelf.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Seriously? Done.

Uh, want a V:TR Chronicler's Guide in its stead? :P I picked it up on a whim for $15, and really can't get into the universe.

I respect their ideas for Requiem, but the world just feels dead.

And not in a good way.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I was never enthused by the premise of Vampire- they are, to me, just damn good enemies for hunters- but Requiem has such a solid product line that I was eventually sold. Huge Vampire fan now, which I'd never have expected.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know what's a good book for fleshing out Requiem? Night Horrors: Wicked Dead. Danse Macabre's good too, but Wicked Dead introduces a lot of weirder stuff.

Oh, and most of the Clan books are awesome too. Especially the Nosferatu and Mekhet ones.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The clanbooks are wonderful. Count Fucking Dracula, Felix, the Glass Harmonium...so great.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Has Dracula decided what clan he is yet?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Has Dracula decided what clan he is yet?

If you're talking about Count Fucking Dracula, he's a Gangrel. If you're talking about the actual Dracula, no one knows, though the three "possibles" in Ordo Dracul all have different clans. And of course it's just as likely he was an extemporaneous embrace and therefore has no clan.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just blew over £200 on nWoD books. (And Exalted 2nd Ed, to make Fiaryn happy)

I guess once they finally arrive, I might have to run something. Not sure if I'd want to run old Werewolf flavour with new Werewolf rules, or just new-new, though. I really liked the old Werewolf setting, moreso than Vampire. Though I played more Vampire because that's what everyone played.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Looks like the V:tM 20th Anniversary edition is gonna clock in at a whopping $100.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks like the V:tM 20th Anniversary edition is gonna clock in at a whopping $100.

I got the 20th Anniversary edition of Shadow run in barnes for $30. I really don't know if I am going to try to get the V:Tm book
    I did find the book of nod and Rites of the Dragon books in a rather odd used book store for pennies

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »

I got the 20th Anniversary edition of Shadow run in barnes for $30. I really don't know if I am going to try to get the V:Tm book
    I did find the book of nod and Rites of the Dragon books in a rather odd used book store for pennies

The 20th Anniversary Edition of Shadowrun wasn't a fancy-pants sort of deal; it was just 4th Edition with better layout, incorporated errata, and stronger visual design.

The 20th Anniversary Vampire book is six kinds of fancy, and also 400+ pages.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Brainleech wrote: »

The 20th Anniversary Edition of Shadowrun wasn't a fancy-pants sort of deal; it was just 4th Edition with better layout, incorporated errata, and stronger visual design.

The 20th Anniversary Vampire book is six kinds of fancy, and also 400+ pages.

I know I jsut found it odd I found it in a store for so cheap it's the fact most of the stores around here that sell roll playing games have closed so I end up getting most of the books I am looking for online or in rather werid/creepy used book stores

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I love V:TM, but... uh.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If White Wolf wants that kind of money they are going to need to do things to me that cannot be done with a book. I don't care how good it is, it's not $100 good.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Picked up Mage: The Awakening today. Fuck this game is cool, and dripping with style.

Shamus on
  • Options
    TunosTunos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My experience with nWoD is limited but my personal favorites are Promethean and Geist. Those two really lend themselves to story driven characters. I played a Galatea that I absolutely loved.

Never got a chance to play Geist but the characters really write themselves almost.

Mage also looks incredibly cool, though I've never played it. I always thought that a Noir-era Mage game would be pretty awesome, with secret cabals vying for power and playing off of normal politicians.

My one experience with V:tR was fairly mundane. I hear the Masquerade was better?

Tunos on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V:tM was a horrorshow mechanically. But the setting was extremely detailed and compelling.

V:tR seems much more mechanically sound (I've never actually played it at this point), but the setting seems much more... generic. Though that does open up more of the world to the storyteller, if that's what they want.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.