As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Whats the sort of difference between playing this game with a good racing wheel and playing it without?

I know NFS: Carbon was absolutely horrendous with a wheel, too twitchy and hard to control, whereas NFS:Shift nearly required one to get the most out of it.

I have a Logitech G25, is that going to increase my enjoyment of the game a fair bit or would it not really be worth the actual setup time each time i want to play?

I haven't played with a wheel so I can't give a definitive verdict but it is a fairly twitchy arcade racer. I don't think a wheel is going to be too helpful with this.

I completed both the racer and cop careers the other day. It took some zen shit to get through King of the Road. It's a good game. Sadly, it's not as exhilarating or visceral as Burnout Paradise was, and there's too many time trials. On the plus side, Autolog is a brilliant feature. Once you get some back & forth going on a particular event, you realize how much value Autolog adds to the game.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spoke to a friend last night who played this with a wheel on 360. he said it was garbage. No force feedback, cars are just as twitchy as when using the thumbstick.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ugh, I guess I'll keep playing NFS Shift and Grid then.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fook I forgot about EA's crap online pass thing. I bought this off Amazon warehouse- I hope it comes with the code.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, user reviews (Metacritic, etc.) of this are incredibly divisive. Some people love it to death, some people threw it in the corner after 30 minutes and declared it a total waste. Tons of bitching about the handling - a criticism like that surprises me, since Criterion developed it and Burnout: Paradise was so fun to simply drive.

As someone who 100%ed Burnout: Paradise (I've never played another game that maintained such a high fun level all the way through to Full OCD Completion), I hope this is enjoyable. How's the sense of speed?

nlawalker on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Sense of speed is good. Handling suffers though, so you don't really want to be speeding through traffic with the NOS on.

All in all, the handling is fine as long as you realize that you're going to need to use the brake and E-brake to drift around corners. If you're completely incapable of drifting, it's gonna be painful.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not having owned a Need for Speed game since Porsche Unleashed, I've been out of the loop a bit as to what NFS games have felt like in recent years, but Hot Pursuit has this kind of sim-inspired arcade handling. It's markedly more formal than Paradise in the amount of attention you have to pay to cornering, but it's still pure Criterion in its boost mechanics. And oh, it feels dangerously fast. The stakes always feel somehow higher than in Burnout, and your heart will likely be racing during the final mile of events even as mundane as the time trials.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I regret not playing Burnout: Paradise enough.
    I should have this tomorrow. I'll be ready to crash into things.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did everyone download V1.1 off of the marketplace yet?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Did everyone download V1.1 off of the marketplace yet?

Yeah, about that: I'm a little confused about the DLC in this game. I could have sworn someone said that the DLC was going to be free, and prior to this recent installment, I saw cars on the menu or in-game store for sale; prior to this "pack" was each car separate? Will buying this DLC give me all those cars too?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    theres free dlc and then theres new pay dlc also. the pay dlc is the rebel pack, the two unlock packs, and then those 3 new cars that just came out (the gumpert, and two other ones that i forget). the free dlc is a bunch of new cars and events that are already in there with the latest patch, but i havent been able to unlock them yet personally. i dunno if you need to be at the end of the campaigns to play that or what. but they have their own little icon/menu thing on the campaign map.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought the DLC and am enjoying it. The cop designs for these new cars are fantastic.

The new events are invigorating and seem slightly different, focusing on straights and pure speed.

It's not difficult, but it certainly isn't easy either.

Hawk on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just beat one of PaperLuigi's times in an Aston Martin by 0.07 seconds.

This is possibly the most badass thing I will ever do in this game.

freakish light on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just beat one of PaperLuigi's times in an Aston Martin by 0.07 seconds.

This is possibly the most badass thing I will ever do in this game.

I'm almost going to feel bad having to beat it again 8-)

In all seriousness, I downloaded 1.1 but I'm waiting until after the Christmas/Boxing Day rush until I have enough time to play this.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Played a little bit last night- crap this is awesome. I'll need to get in on the PA autolog action.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Got this game yesterday on PS3, I need more Autolog people! If anyone's still playing it, that it. :P

PSN id is TwentyOneTwelve

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Do we not have a metatag for this?

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got this for Christmas and I'd love to play this with some folks, my PSN is anonymous_burn. Do we have a list of peoples' tags somewhere or do I just need to check the thread?

Peen on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The new DLC cars are nice to drive, but I gotta say, I hate the police paintjob for the Veyron SS and Apollo S. They look incredibly garish and offputting. Hell, the Veyron SS doesn't even have a proper lightbar on top, they're just lights flashing underneath the windshield.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any news on the 3D patch?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is the 1.1 patch already available on the PS3? I loaded up my game and it didn't auto-patch. I checked the news page on the autolog and it said to download it from the store or something? So I checked both the in-game store as well as the Playstation store and I didn't see anything at all about the patch.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The new DLC cars are nice to drive, but I gotta say, I hate the police paintjob for the Veyron SS and Apollo S. They look incredibly garish and offputting. Hell, the Veyron SS doesn't even have a proper lightbar on top, they're just lights flashing underneath the windshield.

A lightbar woudl probably mess with the aerodynamics.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is the 1.1 patch already available on the PS3? I loaded up my game and it didn't auto-patch. I checked the news page on the autolog and it said to download it from the store or something? So I checked both the in-game store as well as the Playstation store and I didn't see anything at all about the patch.

You have to download it from the marketplace/psn store.

Which is pants on stupid because people playing on 1.0 can't play with 1.1 online. They should have just made it an automatic update since it's free anyways.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't think they can add achievements with an automatic update.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Sure they can. Burnout Paradise and Uncharted 1 both did it. You fire up the game and it tells you there's an update.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    And also, I'm still not seeing the patch on the PSN Store. I've got everything listed for NFS pulled up and the free patch isn't on there. The only things I'm seeing are the time-savers packs and the new car pack. Everything has a cost. No free patch in sight.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there a list of Autolog users in this thread? I looked through but couldn't find anyone.

If you want to add me to your Autolog on XbL, my name is in my sig.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Started playing this last night. It is at once ridiculously fun and amazing... and also complete and utter bullshit.

That said, add my gamertag (LCDXX) if you want another speed bump on your Autolog.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Started playing this last night. It is at once ridiculously fun and amazing... and also complete and utter bullshit.

That said, add my gamertag (LCDXX) if you want another speed bump on your Autolog.

Oh snap, you got this? You better believe I'm all about some rammin into the back of LCD.

Also, I'm all about playin this game.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    im adding you guys on the ps3. anyone else out there who plays this feel free to add me, my PSN is Ah_Pook.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    LCDXX wrote: »

Oh snap, you got this? You better believe I'm all about some rammin into the back of LCD.

Also, I'm all about playin this game.

Yep, and I would be delighted to see you comin' up my rear. Just check your bathroom wal... er... um... speedwall.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do we not have a metatag for this?

I don't think so, but I added you.

freakish light on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God the online pursuits are impossible for the cops.

As soon as a single racer gets slightly in front it's over, especially when the other cops slam into you on a hairpin and use you as a buffer rather than taking the corner normally.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    God the online pursuits are impossible for the cops.

As soon as a single racer gets slightly in front it's over, especially when the other cops slam into you on a hairpin and use you as a buffer rather than taking the corner normally.

I have the exact opposite experience. I have never seen the racers win. The cops always manage to stay right on their tails no matter what.

There was one time where I was burning my super boost plus nitro at the same time. I was cruising at like 350mph and I still had a cop right on my tail.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I still haven't played this online. :(

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I still haven't played this. :(

I think that's what you mean, then. Unless you're not counting Autolog stuff as "online."

Dourin on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My buddies and I play online all the time.

It's pretty awesome fun.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I played online for a while this morning and as much as it is a blast I wish there was more cordination between cops. Half the time the other cops just get in the way, partly because a lot of the tracks are a bit narrow for 8 cars it seems.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Steam has it on sale today for $30. And I just bought it for full price two days ago. :( I figured it was too new to go on sale.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I already commented about it in the 3d gaming thread, but apparently Criterion is trying to backpedal on their announcements and promises of 3D on the PS3, by saying they never "officially" announced it. EA is offering anybody pissed off enough to call them about it a 20 dollar EA store gift card.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/