As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best way to sell/dispose of old/last gen game console setups?

Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm trying to organize my life and that means getting rid of a lot of stuff I either don't need, was collecting, or don't use. I have a ton of old console setups (controllers, cords, games, and the consoles themselves) that I haven't used in ages and I want to get rid of, but I'm not sure how to best go about it.

Some examples of stuff I have (all working, most in good condition):
Atari 5200 w/ controllers, tons of games, etc.
PS2 w/ controller, memory cards, a few games
Nintendo 64 + similar stuff
Dreamcast + similar
etc.

Additionally I have a bunch of classic Gamecube games and a ton of misc. DVDs and CDs that I want to get rid of and get some cash for if I can.

My question is, how do I best go about this? Do I sell the consoles as package deals on Ebay and hope for the best? Do I try and list the games individually? Is there a better auction site out there? Or a website where people sell classic gaming stuff online?

Are there any other places (besides pawn shops) that will buy my stuff? I don't need a ton of money for this stuff, but I also don't want to get ripped off, either. Finally, does anyone have any experience with sites that buy DVD/CDs? Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have a lot of this stuff. How do I get it out of my house?

Xbox Live: No Reply
Steam: Jacobontap
LoL: FutureBlues
Future Blues on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My experience

Nobody wants your Gamecube. People will buy your Gamecube games to play on their Wii.

Nobody wants your PS2. They're $100 new, and your used one might break- especially if it's a PS2 fat. You can probably sell your games for a few dollars.

Older stuff? You might be able to give it away unless you have something special.

Or, trade it all in on Goozex and get current gen games with the points.

adytum on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Depends on what it's worth to you. I sold a platinum GC with controllers for $50, tossing in a few decent games w/ no resale on their own (the games with resale I sold individually, of course). The indigo GC sold for about $50 too because it came w/ a GB Player. I suppose both did have the modem installed, too.

No boxes, just the controllers they came with and cables plus a couple games and accessories.

People will buy it, especially if you are willing to ship to foreign countries. Apparently people in Brazil love this old shit. Spend some time on eBay going through what games sell for, what systems sell for, and come up with a solution based on what you own.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of the things I've learned when moving and trying to simplify that old electronics aren't worth anything. Definitely don't get in the mind set that you're going to get ripped off, really they just have no resale value.

I'd just take them to the local pawn shop and see what happens then make a post on Craig's List to get rid of them.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At my local Goodwill there are stacks of Gamecubes and PS2s.

Esh on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you have any games of rarity/value, sell those ones individually. Everything else sell in lots.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you have any working wavebirds, people want your wavebirds. They can go for $15+ each. You can probably get $10-30 each for your PS2 or GC on ebay, which isn't nothing... might be more hassle than it's worth but I say every little bit helps. Honestly it looks like even the humble N64 is worth a few ebay bucks.

I'd echo what everyone is saying here: bundle any games without resale value into your console auction, then sell any games with resale value individually. Ebay isn't ideal (their fees/commissions have gone up recently and are now kind of annoying) but it puts more cash in your pocket than Pawnstop. It is, however, more of a hassle.

Another note: people tend to pay more on ebay than they'd pay in a pawn shop, goodwill, or on craigslist. I'm not sure why, but I'd guess it's because it feels cleaner and safer; if you get a lemon you can complain to ebay or paypal, rather than having to wander into some store and argue with the clerk in person. (I recently had the same item on ebay and on craigslist... though the craigslist listing was $50 less, the ebay auction sold first. Crazy.)

If all else fails and you just want to get rid of it, Goodwill or Freecycle is a good bet.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    TheGameRevTheGameRev Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One store to look into for a trade is GameDude in Los Angeles, North Hollywood to be exact. They collect all the old systems from Colecovision to Gamecube/PS2. Look into their website and see what they say.

TheGameRev on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Check out a new web series about video games, hot chicks and energy drinks. www.thegamerev.com
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm not sure if this is a thing that they do but .. my immediate thought was childs play
    wouldnt these old consoles and games be great for the old tvs that are in hospitals?
    there must be a way to donate everything to kids in bad situations...

mully on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mully wrote: »
    i'm not sure if this is a thing that they do but .. my immediate thought was childs play
    wouldnt these old consoles and games be great for the old tvs that are in hospitals?
    there must be a way to donate everything to kids in bad situations...

That's a nice idea, but a lot of hospitals wont take used toys because some of the kids have immune systems weakened to the point that they evidently can get sicker just by handling the used toys/control pads/etc.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    best bet is to sell stuff on ebay... just make sure to charge enough for shipping to actually cover shipping or you might end up paying someone to take your old consoles away :)

illig on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    illig wrote: »
    best bet is to sell stuff on ebay... just make sure to charge enough for shipping to actually cover shipping or you might end up paying someone to take your old consoles away :)

Yup, always make sure your shipping covers shipping.

I got rid of my PS2 and GameCube on Craigslist. Less hassle than eBay, and I just met a guy down the street and he gave me cash. Too easy. You won't get much, but you should be able to get more than zero. If you live in a reasonably populated area, just hit Craigslist and search for the systems you want to sell...see what everybody else is listing them for.

Then remember, the words "or best offer" are always an option.

Oh, but consider making a new email account...you may get a ton.

For games, particularly those only a generation old, look through and see if any might be rare. Half.com or eBay are good sites to check (I find the former is good for getting an idea of value, and decent to sell on). The rest package with the system, or sell as a lot on eBay. But, for instance, I had 4 or 5 Cube/PS2 games that were worth more than $20...so there are some out there with individual value.

Basically, if you have an idea how much you want to get and just want to meet somebody and get cash, go Craigslist. If you have no idea what it's worth or are willing to play auction roulette, go eBay. But again, make sure your shipping amount is realistic.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do you need -any- money from these? Regardless of what some folks on here are saying about "no one wants," I'd bet a needy family could get quite a bit of fun out of one of your systems.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Such a long shot, but do you have a Famicom, by any chance? I've been looking for a reasonably priced one for close to a year now.

Tamin on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if by any chance you have super smash bros. for n64 I would be willing to deposit some dollars into your back account

edit: also any n64 controllers whose sticks are not fiendishly deformed

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Come on, bro. Donate it to Child's Play. They'd take it, right?

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Doubtful. Like someone already said, introducing dusty, old, God knows where they've been or what's on them consoles into a hospital environment probably isn't going to fly.

Esh on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Esh wrote: »

Doubtful. Like someone already said, introducing dusty, old, God knows where they've been or what's on them consoles into a hospital environment probably isn't going to fly.

Damn. I had no idea. :( I guess I can't donate my old PS2 to them either. Imagine 15 years from now when people will be throwing out their 360s and PS3s.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Hospitals and Child's Play are both quite explicit about taking only new, factory packaged items as donations for the reasons covered earlier.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The best way to "donate this stuff to Child's play" is to sell it on Ebay with the "proceeds automatically go to charity" thingummy they have. You can set it up so that it all goes directly to Child's Play, it's included in their search-able list of charitable organizations.

Now you CAN see if there are any youth centers, after-school programs, or libraries locally that might want it. I know that near where I live there's a women's shelter that is home to a lot of homeless women and children. A lot of our used toys and Christmas donations go there.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be happy to give your Dreamcast setup a new home :)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    box them all up and sell them in a single giant mystery lot? possibly mention some of the popular games, and that this lot comes with everything you'd need to play the games (obviously, don't say it if it isn't true)

People can't pass up the fantastical adventure of buying a mystery lot! Especially if there's some epics in there.

if some of the older consoles have oddball connectors you should consider purchasing converters to throw in with the lot so the buyer can use them on more modern setups.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN