As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creative Cover Pages for Eng Technology?

DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am taking a materials science course as part of my Mechanical Engineering Technology curriculum at a CC.

In said course, we were demanded to pass in a cover page with all assignements, however we were "encouraged to be original, not tacky or politically incorrect" in our presentation of our cover page.

Since this guy seems to get a lot of call backs from people in the industry asking for his best and brightest, I really want to stand out from the crowd. However I can't think of a legitimate way of making an original coverpage besides coming up with some sort of fake materials testing company letter head or something.

Any ideas?

Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
Dorkman on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Present it like some sort of shadowy government agency's reports- lots of blackouts, use of the word "redacted", red stamps with scary words like "CLASSIFIED" and "FOR EYES ONLY".

zilo on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Go for professional. Look at this, this is what a real materials report looks like:
    http://www.brooks-alaska.com/victor/documents/3_10/32-1-01870%202009%20Final%20GeoDataReport.pdf

See that cover sheet, that's class. It says: "we spent your money well"

Maybe in the mechanical world they do fancy cover sheets, but in civil we tend to keep it simple.

Boutros on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dorkman wrote: »
    Any ideas?

How extensive and dense is the content inside? If it's possible, I would totaly reformat the entire presentation to have a uniform look that uses a booklet format, not 8.5 x 11.
    Boutros wrote: »
    Go for professional. Look at this, this is what a real materials report looks like:
    http://www.brooks-alaska.com/victor/documents/3_10/32-1-01870%202009%20Final%20GeoDataReport.pdf

See that cover sheet, that's class. It says: "we spent your money well"

Maybe in the mechanical world they do fancy cover sheets, but in civil we tend to keep it simple.

Wow, I really hate this sort of outlook in which design is seen as waste. Thinking about how to make it more approachable and less intimidating is not a waste of money and is not a sign of un-profesionalism.

Look at how well organized this Toyota report is. You don't have to be a professional designer to do things like this. All you need is to sit down and think about how to organize things

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think I want to keep to confined to "What would a mechanical engineer do in the workplace" type cover sheet. He specifically stated creative, so I want to do something that's like that. He has a pretty tangent filled class anywho, considering we are talking about the atomic structures of metals at one point, and then he tosses in talk about Katana's and Deadliest Warrior, then the Hunt for Red October. All in the same class.
    How extensive and dense is the content inside? If it's possible, I would totaly reformat the entire presentation to have a uniform look that uses a booklet format, not 8.5 x 11.

Not very. It's an intro class so we just started talking about how metal atoms reform when solidifying. And the assignment itself is asking questions like "What is Tensile Strength".

I guess I am just stuck on making something eye catching or interesting without making it tacky.

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158