As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you go back and pay for groceries that the clerk missed?

Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Example:

You just bought your week's worth of groceries. When looking over the receipt you notice that the checker only scanned one of your four twelve-packs of pop (soda). That means you have three twelve-packs of pop (soda) that are unpaid for.

For the sake of completeness of the theoretical situation, you come to this realization while you're in your car but before you leave the parking lot.

Do you:
A) Go back in to the service counter and ask them to charge you for the missed items
or
B) Say "bank error in my favor" and go on your merry way

spoiler: This is inspired by last weekend

Michael H on

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Depends on how busy the line is at checkout. I'm not very keen on interrupting the lineup just so I can pay the correct amount and hold people up.

Also, fight the power. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    N/A

i do not have a car

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've only once gone back, and it wasn't for groceries, it was a 500$ LCD monitor the cashier missed. However, having been a retail computer store cashier for quite some time, I went back and paid. It's a bad economy and nobody needs to be losing jobs over me.

Groceries though? Nobody is getting fired over my unscanned two-ply.

reddeath on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nope. When I used to shop at this certain grocery store, I used to put a 24 pack of water bottles on the bottom of the cart, and my mom and I noticed once that the cashier didn't even see the case. We thought "cool, free water". From then on, we would always put the water there, and sure enough, they never saw it.

Eventually, the cashiers were taught to look down now, but by then, I moved and I shop somewhere else, and I don't drink bottled water anymore.

Considering that they mark up the price for water bottles by a fucking large amount, I have no sympathy for them.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nope. When I used to shop at this certain grocery store, I used to put a 24 pack of water bottles on the bottom of the cart, and my mom and I noticed once that the cashier didn't even see the case. We thought "cool, free water". From then on, we would always put the water there, and sure enough, they never saw it.

Eventually, the cashiers were taught to look down now, but by then, I moved and I shop somewhere else, and I don't drink bottled water anymore.

Considering that they mark up the price for water bottles by a fucking large amount, I have no sympathy for them.

Yeah, it's cool to steal stuff you consider overpriced, am I right?

Cabezone on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Considering the clerk is more likely to get in trouble for you going back and paying for it, no as long as its like a bottle of ketchup or something.

override367 on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Congratulations! Your theft went unnoticed! Remember kids, as long as you have plausible deniability stealing is fine, because you won't get in trouble!

For the OP: The profit margin on grocery stores averages about %5, and they have huge problems with theft, which can eat a lot of that tiny profit margin. If it's not less than five bucks, and a fraction of the amount I bought, I go back in and pay for it. If I'm already home, it probably has to be closer to the $20 mark; then I'll give the store a call.

edit: Remember, the guy that owns that place has a family to feed too. It's not like he's raking in the easy money makin it rich owning a grocery store.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If they miss it and you're still at the till? Point it out. If they miss it, and you're outside the store already, loading up your car or heading home, or whatever, it's not worth your time or theirs unless it's a big-ticket item(the aforementioned $500 LCD.) Things get missed, and it's not a big deal if nobody's attention is brought to it.

If you go to the service counter, it's likely that the cashier who missed your items will get a writeup or a verbal warning, which could result in them losing their job, depending on the circumstance. As far as my crappy retail jobs have gone, failing to scan an item that a customer takes out of the store is logged as internal theft, it can be grounds for immediate termination if the boss is in a bad mood.

If you go to the original till, they're just going to be annoyed that you came back and filled a spot in the line. So really, not worth the effort.

But actually trying to sneak something past the till? Yeah, no. Don't do that, because at that point it becomes theft, charges can be laid against you, and guess what, grocery story security actually really enjoys busting people who try to pull that.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I try to watch the cashier when I buy stuff and catch things like this at the counter, because it's a)inconvenient for me and b) embarassing for the clerk if I run back in and pay for some $2 thing I just bought. If it's something big, though, I'd go back and pay them. I've given back a good amount extra change as well.

However, I've also legitimately forgotten to pay for stuff and walked out of the store scot-free, so it's probably a wash.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I generally don't look over the receipt unless it seems high, so I rarely notice if this happens.

If I noticed right away I would correct the cashier, but once I've walked more than 10 yards away it's too far to go back.

oldsak on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

If you think something is overpriced, don't fucking buy it. You don't have the right to steal something just because you don't like the price.

OP: I'd say, morally, you have an obligation to go back and pay for the soda. But, realistically, I'd say most people wouldn't because of the hassle involved. Stores do factor in losses like this in their pricing, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However, if this was a case of the cashier giving me back too much change, I'd almost certainly go back if I hadn't left the parking lot. $5 for me is not a big deal, but it might be a problem for the cashier.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it is a bit of a Dick move to not go back and pay for the good. It belongs to someone else and not you. I worked retail for a few years at school and I certainly preferred to be told when I screwed up

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Occasionally I'll get too much change, like a couple of 5s instead of just one as they were sticky. I always give it back as I used to work retail, and having a till that was down was just a fucking pain in the tits to explain.

Rook on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I scan my own stuff, so not a problem. Go go self checkout! Also always use a CC, so no problem with extra/not enough change.

I'm wondering how you can miss that they didn't ring up a $500 item at the time you pay for it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I dont because the number of times they've overcharged me and never refunded the difference more than makes up for the occasional item they miss.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have gone back in to pay for stuff. I just walk up to the customer service counter and tell them what need to pay for and they take care of it. Doesn't take much time at all. They always seem pretty surprised though.

On the other hand, I have also gotten home and realized I didn't have something that I paid for (got left at checkout or whatever) and I've gone back to the store and gotten what was missed with no questions asked. I've also been the beneficiary of about $40 in free produce because there was something screwing up the scale (which made everything a pound more than it was), so they customer service counter just gave me everything that was weighed for free. Overall I think supermarkets are really good about making things right when there's an error, so I feel bad taking advantage of them.

I used to work in a supermarket and know that margins can be pretty tight. I've also been the victim of "he didn't give me correct change!" scams so I think it's important to be an honest customer and pay for stuff that's been missed.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Congratulations! Your theft went unnoticed! Remember kids, as long as you have plausible deniability stealing is fine, because you won't get in trouble!

According to business unwritten ethics in the real world, yes. Everyone is taught that this is wrong, but when stakes get high in business or politics, successful people unlearn that lesson.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Depends on when I discover the oversight. If I'm in the car on the way home, hell no. If, as happened recently, I discover it while still in line, I definitely let the cashier know so they can scan it. Anywhere between the checkout counter and the door of the store will be a function of how busy the store is. I don't, however, try to make this situation happen, because that's obviously stealing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At Grocery stores I try to make sure they catch everything. I'll keep soda or water on the bottom the whole time through the checkout, but I always tell the cashier that its there.

If I found out they missed something I wouldn't go back. I also don't go back when I think I was overcharged for something. Either way I'll just be more careful the next time through. If I notice being overcharged while its being scanned, I'll ask about it, just like I'll ask if I think they missed something.

Cauld on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Simjanes2k wrote: »

According to business unwritten ethics in the real world, yes. Everyone is taught that this is wrong, but when stakes get high in business or politics, successful people unlearn that lesson.

its only cheating/stealing/illegal if you get caught.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Jolt ColaJolt Cola Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Simjanes2k wrote: »

its only cheating/stealing/illegal if you get caught.

With attitudes like this, it should not be unclear why America is in a recession.

Also, yes. I go back and pay. If I owned a store I wouldn't want people stealing from me.

Jolt Cola on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not my job to tell the cashiers how to do their job. They should know by now that alot of people put the big cases of water/pop on the bottom (most of the time anyway). Also, every time I went, I always expected to pay for it. It is pretty big and noticeable. If they miss it? That's too bad.

Also what Buttcleft said. Rarely has that particular supermarket been accommodating for me.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "They should know better" is not a valid excuse for your stealing.

adytum on
  • Options
    Jolt ColaJolt Cola Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For those that say this is fine, would it be fine if I took something off of your property that you didn't notice until a later time? You wouldn't mind me keeping that thing, would you?

Jolt Cola on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've never been challenged with a large choice, but thus far I remain fairly resolute in standing with my morals.

To date I can recall giving people back at much as ~$15 in extra change I'd been inadvertantly given, snagged the last person to use an ATM who left a $20 behind, and turned down $200 from someone to break a company policy.

I'm no saint. In fact, I know I have a price.

It's just way higher than most people are willing to go so far.

In terms of this theoretical grocery scenario, it'd depend on a lot of factors. How much was it? I'm more likely to go back and pay for a large mistake than a small one if both choices would, as noted above, waste a bunch of people's time. Am I in a hurry? If so, I might instead try to drop the cash off the next day or another day. This isn't ideal, as it'll obviously still lead to trouble for the person counting the till, but this also ties into the above coralary. (nothing going on tonight? 10 minutes in a line won't kill me. Life or death struggle pending? They can wait a day for their $5)

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't pay enough attention to notice if something doesn't get rung up, and I don't read recipts.

So, no, I don't return and pay for stuff.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I did once get change for a 100$(or its Norwegian equivalent), when I only paid with a 20$. When I realised it there was about 4-5 minutes where I congratulated myself on my good fortune. Then I went back and told them they had made a mistake and returned the money.

In the end I decided that other people might want to keep them money, but I wasn't the type of guy to do. It was a matter of self-respect. I pride myself on being a good guy with firm principles. Screwing them out of the money would be a direct contradiction to that.

Edit. money wise it was more like 200$ change instead of 40$ and the purchase was around 5$.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well aren't you all a bunch of goody two shoes?

I never go back, if I can get away with free stuff due to someone's incompetence, then I will, and I don't feel bad about it at all.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I did once get change for a 100$(or its Norwegian equivalent), when I only paid with a 20$. When I realised it there was about 4-5 minutes where I congratulated myself on my good fortune. Then I went back and told them they had made a mistake and returned the money.

In the end I decided that other people might want to keep them money, but I wasn't the type of guy to do. It was a matter of self-respect. I pride myself on being a good guy with firm principles. Screwing them out of the money would be a direct contradiction to that.

Yeah, in that kind of situation, it's really dickish to keep the money. It's most likely going to come out of the cashiers pocket. You're not sticking it to the man, you're screwing over some poor kid who just saw his pay for the entire shift leave in your pocket.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Always, and for some reason, if the item is on sale and I don't know it (say it's a video game, and it is marked for $60 but rings up $30) I'll point out the difference and asked if the item scanned correctly.

I know EXACTLY why I do this, too. It's not out of sympathy for the clerk, although I do feel bad if they make an error that I don't catch. It's my Dad.

One day, I couldn't have been more than 5, my Dad and I went to the grocery store - a Kroger that had just opened up in my area. We had walked around the store, and he bought his standard Dad supplies; a beef-log, a block of cheese, Triscuts, beers, Fritos, Helluva Good French Onion Dip and jellybeans. While he was paying at the register in typical embarassing Dad fashion, I wandered over to the gumball machines. I didn't have a quarter, so I instead went around and turned all the metallic knobs for fun. The top row was candy, the bottom row, cheap plastic rings. Lo and behold, on the bottom row, in one of the prize chutes, was a ring. Smiling like I won the lottery, I pocketed the trinket and walked out with my Dad.

When we got to the car, I asked him for assistance in opening the plastic bubble that the ring came in; my Dad's face turned the shade of a horrifically sunburned floozy, screaming: WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?! Obviously, he knew I walked into the store with no quarter, and walked out with an item that despite being manufactured at the low low cost of less than a cent (and the life of a small Filipino kid) still managed to wrangle 0.25 from the average consumer.

In his mind, this equaled theft. As such, he dragged me back into the store and demanded to see a manager. I was crying; after all, thieves are bad people, and I had no idea that I was stealing. I had inadvertantly turned into a villian. I knew the Bible was full of these, and in movies, they were treated with the heavy hand of an unforgiving law. I had no concept of shades of morality. Stealing was wrong, and I was bad. I had always considered myself to be good; I looked both ways before crossing the street, always covered my mouth when coughing, and said 'please' and 'thank you.' Having lost my sainthood without even knowing it with earth shattering. I could never get it back. I had done wrong and by virtue of my father's reaction, I could feel it in every pore of my body.

The manager came out and saw my Dad, incensed to the point where his face was now purple, and a small child now screaming and crying like he believed himself soulless (hint: I did). When my Dad explained the situation, the manager didn't know how to react; it was a cheap plastic ring, found in the prize chute of a novelty gumball machine. The manager explained to my Dad that he didn't technically believe this was considered stealing - his exact words were, "When I was growing up, an extra prize in the prize chute was called a 'freebie'," which calmed my Dad down, but not considerably. I was still forced to hand over the ring - which the manager had no idea what to do with - and walked out of the store in shame.

Dad explained the situation to my Mom. The whole time, I felt like I was going to vomit; when it came to laying down the law, my Dad was a benevolent angel compared to my mother.

She just looked at him and said, "Mike, do you have to be such a dick?"

So now, every time I think I'm getting good fortune by catching a secret sale or an unannounced two-for-one deal, I check with the cashier. Seventeen years after the fact, I'm still wary.

Now I have a better grip on the shades of gray that accompany life, but I'm still set in my ways. No freebies. Not then, not ever.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's not my job to tell the cashiers how to do their job. They should know by now that alot of people put the big cases of water/pop on the bottom (most of the time anyway). Also, every time I went, I always expected to pay for it. It is pretty big and noticeable. If they miss it? That's too bad.

Also what Buttcleft said. Rarely has that particular supermarket been accommodating for me.
    In your first post, you said pretty clearly that you and your mom put the water on the bottom in the hopes that the cashier wouldn't notice it and give it to you for free (BTW, great mom you have there).

That's not much different than slipping something in your pocket and hoping no one catches it.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jolt Cola wrote: »
    With attitudes like this, it should not be unclear why America is in a recession.

And yet, some people are getting away with things (mostly those with power) and some are not, either by choice or lack of options. I personally refuse to be a person who gets the bad end of a deal whenever possible, even if it means acting unethically in response to someone attempting to do the same to me.

However, I have gone back to pay for things that were missed, usually only when it's a place I frequent. There are times that I'm on the road and don't notice that something I bought was missed until I check a receipt later while doing an expense report or something, and there's no way in hell I would be inconvenienced enough to go back or try to contact them over it. In some cases, they really are responsible for tracking purchase of items in their store.

There was a time I went far out of my way to pay for something, although the law essentially coerced me. I bought like $85 dollars worth of gas for a moving truck, and noticed that the receipt I was given was for SOMEONE ELSE'S CREDIT CARD. In Michigan at least, people go to jail fairly frequently for drive-offs, so I wasn't in the mood to mess around with it. I went back and talked with the cashier, she called the owner in, he couldn't fix the problem and didn't even know how to charge me for it. I wrote up a quick agreement in my work notebook and had the owner sign it, just so that there was a paper trail showing that I attempted to pay for the product I received.

That's an odd one though.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As I've said, I go in expecting to pay for it. I am not intentionally trying to hide the case, or try to go without paying. It is right there in the cart. Being a cashier is not hard to do at all. There's a reason it is a minimum wage job. If you can't even scan everything in the cart, too bad.

I mean, if I see a wallet on the ground, I will not take anything from it. I will try and get it back to its original owner.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »

In your first post, you said pretty clearly that you and your mom put the water on the bottom in the hopes that the cashier wouldn't notice it and give it to you for free (BTW, great mom you have there).

That's not much different than slipping something in your pocket and hoping no one catches it.

I loved grabbing things off the shelves and putting them like in my coat pocket and walking towards the front of the store.

And then getting in line and pulling them out to pay for them.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When I was about seven I was sent to the shop to buy milk. I went to the shop, picked up the milk and then left the shop. I realised I had done this about halfway home. I panicked.

In the end, I hid the milk, under my jumper and went back inside, did a long tour and bought it. Bam nobody noticed!

Given that I didn't scrutinise my receipt while I'm leaving the supermarket perhaps in the past things have been missed? It seems unlikely just in terms of the mechanics of the situation. I suppose something could get swiped twice or a vegetable weight could get fucked up?

That said, there's a place I go for lunch quite a bit and if the price they come up with seems wrong I'll normally double check they put it all in the till.

Also, last Christmas, I suspect there was a confusing error at a farm shop that meant we didn't pay for some apples, pears and ginger. I only realised once home, and I wasn't entirely sure. Nothing came of it.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As I've said, I go in expecting to pay for it. I am not intentionally trying to hide the case, or try to go without paying. It is right there in the cart. Being a cashier is not hard to do at all. There's a reason it is a minimum wage job. If you can't even scan everything in the cart, too bad.

I mean, if I see a wallet on the ground, I will not take anything from it. I will try and get it back to its original owner.

But you're doing it knowing they don't check the bottom of the cart. Just because you're stealing in plain view doesn't make it not stealing.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't go back.

About half of the time they put in the wrong code for produce which either results in a net win or a net loss. I don't go back for either.

I almost went back once when I picked up 10 avacodos (priced $1.29 each), but the clerk must have thought they were weighable so I saved about $10 through silliness. I felt a tinge of guilt when i realized her error, but fuck going back and waiting on that line again.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

You're rationalizing your attempts at theft. You're hoping that the cashier misses the bottled water, and you're keeping your mouth shut when they do.

Walking out of the store with an item you know you did not pay for is theft, morally and legally.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I did find out they missed an item it wouldn't be until after I got home. At that point I am not going back for them missing a can of soup.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Every now and then I consider getting a part time job at my supermarket as a cashier. Kids today don't know how its done, yo.

Deebaser on