As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BigMan-ification

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    At $2.50 a serve though. I could get all my calories in for less than $7.50 a day.

That's not very much in our money. 2L of milk is about $5 here.

Boring as fuck though. I would much rather have this here fish-pie

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Invincible wrote: »
    Hey Bigmen, I was thinking of buying a gainer supplement to help in getting in my calories because i don't think I am consistantly getting enough in my day. Something like this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/sm.html

thoughts?

Dude, eat real food. And exercise. Don't just try to gain weight. You want to build muscle while gaining weight. As a man, if you are working hard enough to exhaust your muscles glucose completely, you want to eat roughly 35-45 grams of protein after.

What you want to avoid is this:
    Cholesterol 80mg 27% which is what is in your "Weightgainer"

No need to ingest a quarter of your daily cholesterol in one meal.

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know. If that one meal makes up a third of your calories goal for the day, one quarter of your RDI of cholesterol sounds about right.

I agree with the whole foods sentiment though.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know if there's been a genuine link found between dietary cholesterol intake and the body's own cholesterol levels. Someone who knows what they're talking about can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

But yeah, if you're trying to "gain weight," make sure it's at least mostly useful weight and not just fat. When I first started lifting, I was overly focused on making the number on my scale go up, and ate:
    • two Dunkin Donuts sausage-egg-and-cheese bagels for breakfast (680 calories a pop, 32/67/29g of fat/carb/protein);
    • a footlong double-meat chicken-breast sub from Subway, plus two 200 calorie cookies;
    • another of the same sub in the evening;
    • and throughout the day I was chugging my gallon of whole milk (2400 calories, approximately 128/192/128g of fat/carb/protein).

So yeah, I was eating a bunch of shit... but it was shit. I ballooned up to 225 lbs. (starting at ~185) and when people started calling me chubby, I freaked out and immediately switched to ~1800 calories/day (though without ensuring I was doing 1-1.5x body-weight in grams of protein/day) and plummeted to 200, and eventually hit 185 again (though with much better composition) and have been here since May.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good to see Tom bustin his ass. He's a poster at the only other message board I've been at longer than here, elitetrack.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Good to see Tom bustin his ass. He's a poster at the only other message board I've been at longer than here, elitetrack.

Give him the unfortunate news that YouTube has decreed that he will never get girls with his "tiny muscles."

Don't tell him I was the one who mentioned it, though. >_>

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    His strength to body weight ratio is absurd and hes clean, so not a whole lot of respect from the bigger = better community will be had.

No offense to the BigMen in here. I know you guys aren't douches.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    His strength to body weight ratio is absurd and hes clean, so not a whole lot of respect from the bigger = better community will be had.

No offense to the BigMen in here. I know you guys aren't douches.

It's absolutely obscene. I can't believe he can lift that much at that size. Most people twice his size can't deadlift 700.

Tube on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    i've missed this thread...but I haven't been doing too much big man stuff.

I can manage an hour of lifting a week with my commute and very restrictive sleep schedule. My numbes haven't gone too far down from when I was lifting 3 times a week. I also went to 3x8s intead of 3x5 because it seemed like not nearly enough volume for weekly lifting.

I kind of waffle between wanting to lose fat and wanting to get stronger. This year I've mostly been working on fat loss via low carb. I'm down like 25 lbs from last year, which is cool though and my lifting numbers haven't suffered catastrophically from the weight loss.

I am moving closer to my free to me gym soon. should be able to big man it up if i choose to do so.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's absolutely obscene. I can't believe he can lift that much at that size. Most people twice his size can't deadlift 700.

If I'm north of 500 its a great fucking day for me (and meso). I also weigh 5 lbs more than him. Hes a beast and a half.

Dynagrip wrote: »
    i've missed this thread...but I haven't been doing too much big man stuff.

I can manage an hour of lifting a week with my commute and very restrictive sleep schedule. My numbes haven't gone too far down from when I was lifting 3 times a week. I also went to 3x8s intead of 3x5 because it seemed like not nearly enough volume for weekly lifting.

I kind of waffle between wanting to lose fat and wanting to get stronger. This year I've mostly been working on fat loss via low carb. I'm down like 25 lbs from last year, which is cool though and my lifting numbers haven't suffered catastrophically from the weight loss.

I am moving closer to my free to me gym soon. should be able to big man it up if i choose to do so.

We've missed you!

Jyardana on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I guess some people just really prefer being fat to being too skinny.

Actually, the population to which it is marketed usually has a ridiculous enough metabolism that a decent lifting routine will translate it to a lot of muscle and strength with a little fat thrown in.

That population, of course, is 15 to 17 year olds who need to bulk up for high school football

the wook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    the wook wrote: »

Actually, the population to which it is marketed usually has a ridiculous enough metabolism that a decent lifting routine will translate it to a lot of muscle and strength with a little fat thrown in.

That population, of course, is 15 to 17 year olds who need to bulk up for high school football

I thought about that, but how big a population is that? It always seems like I see kids who look like they just need to eat more real food that're buying these tubs.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the wook wrote: »

I thought about that, but how big a population is that? It always seems like I see kids who look like they just need to eat more real food that're buying these tubs.

40 kids at every high school in America

the wook on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fair enough.

At any rate, they wouldn't still be selling these weight-gainer tubs if they didn't have a sizable demo.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't buy an all in one weight gainer, but I put one together myself including a fuckton of simple shit carbs from a cheap tub of just that, because I cannot eat enough in a day to gain weight if I don't. Seriously, under 4000 calories a day is a fucking cut for me, I need to be close to 5000 to actually GAIN anything. Mid 4000s is maintenance.

That's a lot of fucking time/money spent eating whole food. Can't do it without the shake right now.

If I'm gaining any fat from it it ain't much, but then again I'm one of those assholes that could eat bigmacs all day and go to my grave at 50s years old but a skinny bastard.

Soulburner on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New Year's Resolution: I am going to cut. I am going to delay it 'till then, and then I am going to cut seriously for 2-3 months, down to 180-185, depending what I am at on New Year's. Don't let me start early and don't let me wimp out, bigmen.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm doing something similar. The not starting early is the hard part for me.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I've lost some fat since Sept but I want abs like Duck's, but I already set some lifting goals for Christmas so that's motivation to hold off until then.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    streever wrote: »
    Hey Bigmen, I was thinking of buying a gainer supplement to help in getting in my calories because i don't think I am consistantly getting enough in my day. Something like this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/sm.html

thoughts?

Dude, eat real food. And exercise. Don't just try to gain weight. You want to build muscle while gaining weight. As a man, if you are working hard enough to exhaust your muscles glucose completely, you want to eat roughly 35-45 grams of protein after.

Yeah, dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with your health. Unless it's super low.

And that's all I'll say about the subject

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pretty much, yeah. This is the article I have bookmarked for these sorts of occasions. I used to have a copy of the actual study lying around as well but I can't seem to find it now.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, it looks like EliteFTS is offering a free pair of wrist wraps (usually about $16?) with every shipped order but it doesn't look like there's any minimum purchase.

They've been spamming the hell out of my inbox lately but this seems like an okay deal. Well, for those of you who aren't look at about 2 weeks pay to cover shipping

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hectorse wrote: »

thoughts?

Yeah, dietary cholesterol has nothing to do with your health. Unless it's super low.

I think its assumed in the BigMan thread that this is the busting your ass and lifting weights thread, not the die at 35 from just eating ourselves to death thread. We don't need to be told to be working out as well as eating to gain weight. It is what the entire thread is about.

Also, if you are eating solid meals with good macronutrient ratios and varied greens and fruits for micronutrients there is nothing wrong with a weight gainer. During my peak training phases my caloric need for maintenance shoots well over 4000 and up to 5000 and its even higher for when I'm in a gaining phase. Eating that much is a pain in the ass but drinking it is much much easier.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm down to 190 as of this morning. I'm off to break my cut by feasting on turkey and pumpkin goddamn pie.

Then I'm going to squat a million pounds this afternoon and do some sled drags this evening.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

adytum on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've lost some fat since Sept but I want abs like Duck's, but I already set some lifting goals for Christmas so that's motivation to hold off until then.

You might end up with that after all, considering I'm going up in weight right now.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So in perusing some generic BBing forums when I was trying to find the ingredients of a smart, "clean" bulk, I saw someone mention that it's a good idea to keep fat low if carbs + protein are high. Is there any merit to this?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No. The key to a clean bulk is to not eat too many calories over maintenance. You want to slowly add weight so you're only adding mostly muscle and not more muscle and fat. Calorie composition doesn't matter too much.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So got back from my doctor and he is fairly certain that my chest pains are from heavy work in the gym and non-symmetrical pushing and pulling at my job. That it's not heart related. Very happy to hear that. He also told me to get my ass back in the gym. Woohoo! Going to hit the rowing machine tomorrow after work.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's sweet news man, good stuff.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, my injured lat/whatever it is is still bothering me. Hurt today doing dumbbell rows, so I kept them light, but I think I'm going to cut out everything that aggravates it for a week or two which means no more pullups, dips, or rows. Should I also stop pressing movements?

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Probably depends on the specific movements psycko, benching uses the lats as a stabilizer. But OHP and inclined bench ought to be fairly unaffected.

On another note, my weight has stabilized at right around 187lb now, I'm very happy to be under 190lb. But I've been very busy lately and barely get to the gym. I know I've lost quite a bit of strength/muscle along with all that fat :(

But in general I'm still feeling good and looking good. I've kept my diet in check really well by keeping my carbs down and keeping calories down on my less active days. Just really gotta get some more time to get back to the gym!

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Good to hear webguy. What are you down to nowadays anyway?

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good to hear webguy. What are you down to nowadays anyway?

Weight at the moment is 328. That's down from 349 at the start of September. Goal is 310 by the new year.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was discussing dietary stuff at thanksgiving this evening and when I mentioned that I had lost 26 pounds since October 1st my family found that to be quite impressive.

Plus I'm looking a lot thinner.

Yea me.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hectorse wrote: »

thoughts?

I think its assumed in the BigMan thread that this is the busting your ass and lifting weights thread, not the die at 35 from just eating ourselves to death thread. We don't need to be told to be working out as well as eating to gain weight. It is what the entire thread is about.

Also, if you are eating solid meals with good macronutrient ratios and varied greens and fruits for micronutrients there is nothing wrong with a weight gainer. During my peak training phases my caloric need for maintenance shoots well over 4000 and up to 5000 and its even higher for when I'm in a gaining phase. Eating that much is a pain in the ass but drinking it is much much easier.

I don't think anything about his question implies that. He says he's a skinny, tiny man, who wants to gain a lot of weight. He's never posted in here or mentioned anything about his workout. Reading his posts, I defintiely think he isn't lifting.

So, while it is generally safe to make that assumption, I think his case pretty clearly isn't the norm for this thread.

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My personal view is that a new lifter should spend a month or so learning the lifts and getting to their limits before they start hitting the calories as hard as they can. Once you've figured out how much you can actually lift and are genuinely busting ass in the gym rather than just lifting small amounts to learn the form, go ahead and neck down as much as you can. If you eat a ton and hit the weight gain shakes while you're still adapting to weight training I think you'll gain more fat than you want. This is just me theorising though, I have no science to back this up.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Remember, you don't have to eat crazy amounts unless you're a sub-160 lb hard gainer (arbitrary weight cutoff). I eat ~2500 Calories a day and that sustains me just fine.

E: After going through your posts, it sounds like you've been making plenty of progress, Invincible. Why do you think you need to start eating more? It certainly can't hurt, but do it gradually so you don't put on fat unnecessarily.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My personal view is that a new lifter should spend a month or so learning the lifts and getting to their limits before they start hitting the calories as hard as they can. Once you've figured out how much you can actually lift and are genuinely busting ass in the gym rather than just lifting small amounts to learn the form, go ahead and neck down as much as you can. If you eat a ton and hit the weight gain shakes while you're still adapting to weight training I think you'll gain more fat than you want. This is just me theorising though, I have no science to back this up.

Does this hold true for someone who went in already overweight?

Or should you wait until you see how much, if any, weight you're shedding before you decide?

Falx on
  • Options
    fappenstancefappenstance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i like to stand outside the windows at gyms where people are sitting and lifting weights
    and the treadmills, cant forget the treadmills
    they have to face the window, see

so i stand outside and look in and eat my sandwich real slow
    dont break eye contact

fappenstance on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i like to stand outside the windows at gyms where people are sitting and lifting weights
    and the treadmills, cant forget the treadmills
    they have to face the window, see

so i stand outside and look in and eat my sandwich real slow
    dont break eye contact

There's one corner at our gym that has a window. Right outside that window is a little hidden corner where all the personal trainers go to chain smoke.

Falx on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I started running again last Friday after about a 3 month break, and I fucked a toe up doing something completely unrelated today. Makes me sad. At least I can still squat and all that business.

[Michael] on
This discussion has been closed.