Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Sid Meier's Civilization V: one...more...post...

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm running on a Radeon HD5830, Core2Quad 9550 8gb ram -- DX10/11 with everything at High and Tesselation/Shaders up. High Detail turned on, etc. Everything runs smooth, I haven't had any slowdowns yet. Maybe later on when maps get more cluttered.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    huh wha

what just happened

last time i checked it was five pm now its one am what the fuck

scarab you have mental problems
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I fixed my performance issue by updating my video drivers, usually driver upgrades help a little but I went from always less than 5 to always more than 30 (in 10/11 mode) with the latest ones so whoever said an i3 540/8800gt is too slow for this game can suck it

God is it really 7 pm?

So if you have an Nvidia card, update your drivers

XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User
    edited September 2010
    I'm getting a bit frustrated while running dual monitors. Like someone said earlier I can't scroll right...my mouse just slides off the screen (IN FULLSCREEN MODE, WADDAFUHK?!) and the intro movie i have to tab in and out of to be able to click to skip.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tried using the right arrow key or 6 on the numpad?

Not that it's a great solution, though.

• Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been way too exhausted to play too much today but I am in love with the hex system if only because it makes your borders looks semi-realistic. It's really cool to see my influence sweep around the opening to my peninsula like a crescent moon.

Also, zero computer issues here. So happy I bought a new one in June. <3

• HeirHeir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Who's the guy doing all the voice work during the game? (the non-leader stuff).

camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Tried using the right arrow key or 6 on the numpad?

Not that it's a great solution, though.

Yeah that works for scrolling (but yeah, not ideal). Also doesn't fix the weird intro problem. It's like the computer doesn't have the movie as the focused window (normal windows cursor until I directly click civ on the taskbar).

• arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Anyone having problem with dual monitors? The intro video had the lower and right half cut off and I couldn't scroll right by putting my mouse to the right edge, but N,W, S worked fine.

Also having no dual monitor support kinda sucks atm. I am tired of trying to scroll right and ending up on the second monitor.

And you will love this quote from a mod over at 2k.
    douchebag wrote:
    You do not alter the core programming of an application to support a user method that less than 5% of the user base will implement.

I think it's a tad bit over 5%. That post makes my brain hurt.

camo_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    That's ridiculous.

Civ IV didn't have this problem. Hurpdurp. Core programming. Harumph, I rarely run into trouble with this in any game and my dual monitors unless I'm in windowed mode.

We're not asking for some weird dual monitor support wherein the civi-opedia is on monitor...just mouse constraint. I tried using Cursorlock but it didn't really work with the launcher nonsense.

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sooo... by the sound of it, I'm better off running Civ V with one monitor in 1900x1200 and not worry about extending it to another display?

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ATTENTION: WE'RE DOING A MULTIPLAYER GAME RIGHT NOW

Get on the PA vent. Have five so far. Gonna go real soon.

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll have to get in on this multiplayer if I decide to buy it. Give us updates and give us reasons to buy the game. In depth, epic reasons.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Decrypt faster, Bob-dammit!

I will miss Leonard Nimoy. But my nipples still harden with anticipation. Much longer, and I shall begin to worry about chafing.

JudgeZed.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Demo's locked out--looks like it's back to waiting. In the meantime, I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on Newegg (it looks like I've finally hit that point where I just can't run a game I need to play at a level that makes it look good).

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    Hey, there went six hours of my life.

Continued from previous thread:
    Wait, wait -- you're running a GTX260 in Direct X 10/11 mode? Or in Direct X 9 mode?

I have a GTX275 and Direct X 10/11 runs terribly. Direct X 9, though, with everything turned up runs perfectly.

DX10/11 mode, I turned AA off but everything else is on. It runs fine, but not great, sometimes I do get some slowdown. This is with an i7 920, which may make a difference.

I've been running an i7-920, 6GB DDR3, and the ATI 5870 and so far no slowdown, although I've only played early game so far.

Also: God damn barbarians.

So you have Tesselation and everything else turned up all the way? Except for AA?

I have AA on, although it's probably not necessary at 1920x1080. It's been smooth sailing. There was also a new ATI driver released a few days ago, I believe, so it may be worth checking that out if anyone is having problems.

About the game itself, if I had to make one complaint, it would be that multiplayer disables the animations. They add such charm to the game. It's weird seeing everything warp around. Everything else, though? Amazing.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis

steam_sig.png
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Still room in the MP game?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would join in on the Multiplayer right now, but then I know I would lose the entire rest of my night doing nothing else ;)

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    huh wha

what just happened

last time i checked it was five pm now its one am what the fuck

If you weren't startled by the dawn's rays coming through your window you got off lightly.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought I could be strong against temptation. But when that "Demo's Over" screen came up I was "Nooo! I had such plans!"

* Feverishly grabs out wallet*

XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JediNight wrote: »
    Are you fucking kidding me? I finished the Pyramids on the same turn as a computer and it tie-breaks to the computer? So I got nothing out of it... Sonnuva...

don't put up with that! Military response is required.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's ridiculous.

Civ IV didn't have this problem. Hurpdurp. Core programming. Harumph, I rarely run into trouble with this in any game and my dual monitors unless I'm in windowed mode.

We're not asking for some weird dual monitor support wherein the civi-opedia is on monitor...just mouse constraint. I tried using Cursorlock but it didn't really work with the launcher nonsense.

Didn't have an issue with the Civ V demo on my dual monitor setup.

edited September 2010
    Game runs great for me in DX10 mode: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4 gigs ram, ATI Radeon 4870 with 1 gig ram.

camo_sig2.png
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else having a problem with multiplayer where the game reloads every 10 turns or so?

• ArghyArghy Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Been playing all day no computer issues at all and mines a pretty old comp. India is pretty kickass as i've actually managed to fucking complete a goddamn wonder before the computer. Germany is complete shit though--its currently bugged so if you dont get the 50% roll you get jack shit for barb camps and later on in the game you get no units at all.

They really need to change the powers because 2 UU units dont make up for getting ass raped in the beginning.

GHANDI THE CONQUER

Ask me about the holocaust.
    edited September 2010
    Arg...how do I keep my auto-exploring units from trespassing in city-state's territories?

camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2010
    Also...how do I move a settler and a military unit together? Is that possible?

camo_sig2.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Er.

Where did the sun go?

. . . Woops.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haven't figured that one out yet. [directed at Heir, but hey, it works for Basil too]

Glancing over the thread in-between bouts of gameplay (10 hours! Holy shit!), there were some people using the nvidia 8800 and complaining about it running slowly. To these people (and, really, to everyone) I say: use the tactical overlay. Gives off this wonderful board-game vibe. I think I've spent the majority of those 10 hours using it.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It works, yay! Now if only I had money! Time to wait three months!

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God the demo cut off point is one of the biggest blue ball moments ever. I had tons of plans in queue and was just about to smear Bismark off the planet when the DEMO OVER pop up started. Now to wait for it to go down in price or on sale somewhere!

steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New thread already? Wow.

Anyway, it just finished downloading that Day 1 patch for me about 20 minutes ago, and I just got done trying out early game and-

Hey, it's pretty dark out, is there a storm comming? I think I saw something about that on the Weather Channel.

anywho, I think I kinda enjoy the one-tile-at-a-time way the border expands, makes Settler city finding phase seem a bit longer, and the massive area a city can gather resourses from (3 tiles from the city!) means overlap doesn't hurt as mu-

...Wait, what time is it? It's still around 10am right??

Right?

steam_sig.png
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is really great. I like it a lot more then Civ IV. :)

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the hex map mode is pretty snazzy.

Now, I've gotta admit something. I liked civ 3 more than civ 4. I just didn't dig all the new bells and whistles so much. I felt like they got in the way of an already increasingly clunky system.

This offering just took everything that irritated me and out back, shot it, and rolled it into a ditch nice and quiet like.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why the fuck didn't I just preorder? I played the demo as though you know I had an actual chance of saying no to this. It's beautiful and wonderful and Civilization oh man I'm 13 again!

Oh well, not like I care about Bablyonians anyway. They should have gone with a Civ someone would have felt emotionally connected to.

Though I have to admit, I'm kind of waiting to see what modders do to it. The diplomacy still seems to need some love before it's really interesting.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's taken awhile to get used to, but I do like how this is a lot more than Civ 4. Not really sure about tech races though, i'm at turn 285 and 1860somethin and I'm not even in Industrial.

Game crashes every so often though which is annoying >_>.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first few times you play any new iteration of civ teching is slow. From my limited demo experience: Research agreements? I imagine if you time them right you could pull off some crazy slingshots.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    Yeah, the hex map mode is pretty snazzy.

Now, I've gotta admit something. I liked civ 3 more than civ 4. I just didn't dig all the new bells and whistles so much. I felt like they got in the way of an already increasingly clunky system.

This offering just took everything that irritated me and out back, shot it, and rolled it into a ditch nice and quiet like.

Civ 4 streamlined Civ 3 a ton

You crazy bro

• ArghyArghy Registered User
    edited September 2010
    Yeah civ agreements fucking rock--i was catherine and i had ghandi and darius right next door and all they did was fight an epic fight against the raging barbarians and create research agreements with me so i received double bonus. Its really annoying you cant access the civlopedia when your choosing your civ but its easy to research it up once your inside.

India/russia/arabia/france are really badass esp with the special social powers.

Ask me about the holocaust.
    edited September 2010
    Playing as Babylon. Loving the longbow unit.

Is there a way to heal units besides spending a promotion?

Edit: Of course I see the button right after I ask this.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.