As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V: one...more...post...

• Options
    freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Friday booked off for UK launch. Played a smidge of the demo to, just to check how it runs....

Random tangent, does Alpha Centauri play on Windows 7?

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I absolutely loved the demo, but it also prompted me to reinstall Civ IV and I find myself wondering if the upgrade is really worth it at this price. The visual leap isn't THAT big, and Civ IV still plays fine, and has better music and narration to boot...

Don't get me wrong, I'll get this eventually, but I do recommend people who are on the fence at launch pricing to reinstall Civ IV and see if you can't wait a bit too.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I lost!

LOST.

I was crushed by the far superior Ottomon military forces. I defeat him in a war, and think i'm in good shape defensively...and then all of a sudden he has cannons and riflemen and I'm still happy with my crossbows!

Now I know what it feels like to be an AI in a previous Civ game...

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Started my first Civ V game tonight, playing as Aztecs. Sorta wish the games could get off to a quicker start, but oh well.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the early game seems much slower than in Civ 4, from the few games I've played. I like it.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tag wrote: »
    Also fuck their apparently unskipable intro.

To Disable the Intro Videos

1) Goto Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/
    2) Open Usersettings.ini
    3) Look for SkipIntroVideo = 0 (it shouldnt be far down)
    4) Change the 0 to 1

Enjoy.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »

2) Open Usersettings.ini
    4) Change the 0 to 1

Enjoy.

Unskippable intros are the worst intros.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JediNight wrote: »
    I assume if you use a Great Artist to Culture bomb an area of the map, you can't take over actual cities that way, can you? Only all their land surrounding it?

Yeah, cities no longer flip from culture. You're going to have to invade it.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gandhi just got tag teamed from napoleon and george washington

we eiffel towered that bro.

high five, george!

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank you kris

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So

I've been playing the demo, because I'm so broke and in debt that I simply cannot afford to buy this game

but anyways

I scouted a ruin, and it turned my scouts into archers

I was like "SHIT I really wanted to scout with them"

But then I noticed they still ignore terrain cost, so they're basically super scouts. Wonderful.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    So

I've been playing the demo, because I'm so broke and in debt that I simply cannot afford to buy this game

but anyways

I scouted a ruin, and it turned my scouts into archers

I was like "SHIT I really wanted to scout with them"

But then I noticed they still ignore terrain cost, so they're basically super scouts. Wonderful.

yeah I was playing alex the great and my scouts got turned into hoplites

was wonderful

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kris, you are a prince.

Man, I cannot wait for Pitboss. I yearn for it in ways that are not appropriate for a married man. I desperately want to call in sick (with the Civpox) but we have a new guy starting and I have to do the orientation thing.

I guess he's probably going to learn a lot about Pax Romana and the importance of letting far-flung settlements govern themselves while consolidating power around Rome. :D

zilo on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Argh. After playing the demo, now I'm torn between getting this, or getting Dead Rising 2.
    Fuuuuuck.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oh look it's 4:15 AM in the morning

why did I buy this game in the middle of a semester

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently I set off WW1 in my game lol...

Persia started attacking one of my Allied City-States, so I secretly fed him a few units, but the CPU is stupid and looked like it wasn't going to hold out so I declared war myself. Which then also set off a bunch of lateral treaty declarations of war between like 3 other city-states and Persia.

Sadly I made a mistake and lost my L3 Trebuchet with a General on it :(

JediNight on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, late game could use a bit of optimizing as far as turn ending and saving and loading goes. Also finally got my first crash after Civ5 started using 2.8gb of memory.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh look it's 4:15 AM in the morning

why did I buy this game in the middle of a semester

I started playing at 11 figuring I'd go for an hour and then hit the sack

4 hours later I am going to bed

I did crush Montezuma under the mighty boot of the Russian empire though 8-)

tofu on
  • Options
    Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    crap crap crap

It is 4:10 AM

I wanted to sleep tonight

The only reason I stopped playing is because the game crashed....

I am so screwed
    Also, if the Ottoman's touch Oslo again I will go ape shit. I am only taking one city from them for now but if they touch a city state under Roman protection again....

Burn and Pillage

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »

2) Open Usersettings.ini
    4) Change the 0 to 1

Enjoy.

Unskippable intros are the worst intros.

You can skip the intros after the game finishes loading. If you disable videos you just stare at a blank screen until the game loads

tofu on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hope the irrationally aggressive AI is just a bug or something. I really hated that in Civ Rev as well. You were just counting down the turns until someone declared war on you for no reason.

I guess someone can probably mod it up.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...So I hear Germany is bugged, and basically unplayable? Has this been hotfixed yet?

Want me some Panzers, dammit.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's wrong with Germany? A friend of mine did fine with Germany in our game today, we didn't notice any problems.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Friday booked off for UK launch. Played a smidge of the demo to, just to check how it runs....

Random tangent, does Alpha Centauri play on Windows 7?

Yes, surprisingly.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eric_Res wrote: »
    crap crap crap

It is 4:10 AM

I wanted to sleep tonight

Oh hey, it's 4:10 for me as well, an hour later.

China is a powerhouse. Easy and better great generals? Yes please! The difference is 45% instead of 25% for regular great generals. Which means I got my first general near the start of my first war, and then I was able to take over cities with just 2-3 melee units, especially after they get some healing upgrades, because I can damage and heal faster than their cities can.

I've wiped out every civ that thought it was smart to fight me, and then I decided to take over the one who thought he was allowed to be Hostile to me. Now I finally found Japan in the Americas, but he has like 2/5 my score so I'm not really concerned about him as long as he doesn't build any wonders. If he does, he dies.

Puppet states are pretty nice for reducing the micromanaging. I only annex cities if I suddenly need to build a unit for defense or if it looks like it can be a good wonder city.

This is on Prince difficulty.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nobunaga just gave me a city for 200 gold and the promise of some luxury items for a short time.

The city is treated like any other captured city - raze, annex, puppet.

This is probably the first thing that I am actually disappointed in.

Tamin on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ah yes, now I remember what it feels like to have a few hours sucked from my life and to have no idea where they went.

Needless to say; I'm enjoying this game!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh god it's five AM! What happened? lol, looks like that's what's happening to everyone else, too. I just finished my first ever game of Civ. Didn't get too far tech wise, apparently I won via domination the first enemy city I destroyed... must it have been his capitol? It took a long time and was quite fun though.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Nobunaga just gave me a city for 200 gold and the promise of some luxury items for a short time.

lol, so evil.

"Grant me gold and I will give unto you this fine city, with which you can do as you please."

then you murder the population and burn the fucking city to the ground and then Oda Nobunaga swims in his pile of gold

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Maybe Nobunaga had a problem with unhappyness and the reduced population and extra happiness from the luxuries worked for him. Still, which difficulty are you playing on? I noticed the demo is set to chieftain which is super cheesy.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

lol, so evil.

"Grant me gold and I will give unto you this fine city, with which you can do as you please."

then you murder the population and burn the fucking city to the ground and then Oda Nobunaga swims in his pile of gold

Seriously, how can you be dissapointed with this? This is fantastic.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game wrecks my face. It also wrecks my laptop holy shit. I would've never even suspected a TBS of all things to require the power of my desktop for a smooth and pleasant experience, goddamn.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MegaMek wrote: »

lol, so evil.

Seriously, how can you be dissapointed with this? This is fantastic.

It's more he settled a city on my continent, and I'm not having any of that. As soon as I noticed, I opened a dialogue and asked him for the city. I was hoping I would have immediate access to the city, and not have to suffer through the building of a courthouse and such.

I'm still recovering from a major war wherein I wiped out Arabia and the Iroquois nations and made puppets of all their cities. Slowly annexing them as I have the funds for colosseums.

Tamin on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »
    I cant get used to not being able to stack units at all. Its kind of annoying when a city is built beside like 6 mountains and theres only one square you can attack it from. And not being able to buy units if theres already a unit in the city? What the hell. Weird design choices, but i kinda understand why they did it (unit stacks would be crazy powerful against cities this time around).

Lack of unit stacking is GLORIOUS. It makes combat actually fun and achievable rather than the mind numbing slog of previous Civs.

And why shouldnt a city built beside 6 mountains have a strong defensive benefit?

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So now that I've played through for quite a few hours, I've got a couple questions:

What makes you progress in Era/Age faster?
    Are there any disadvantages to telling your workers to "automatically" do their thing?
    Is there any point to telling your cities to "focus" on one thing more than others?
    What makes some productions faster in some cities, but not others? Is that based on anything specific?
    Is there an easy way to break a peace treaty? I played with an AI ally last night that kept making a 10-turn treaty with the only remaining enemy, and this just kept delaying my progress.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a mod out that makes units able to enter the same tile, by the way.
    * Removes the 1UPT (one unit per tile) limit.

Can't say I'd use it myself, but the option's there for those that would. It's heartening to see modders moving so fast on Civ5.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    So now that I've played through for quite a few hours, I've got a couple questions:

What makes you progress in Era/Age faster?
    Are there any disadvantages to telling your workers to "automatically" do their thing?
    Is there any point to telling your cities to "focus" on one thing more than others?
    What makes some productions faster in some cities, but not others? Is that based on anything specific?
    Is there an easy way to break a peace treaty? I played with an AI ally last night that kept making a 10-turn treaty with the only remaining enemy, and this just kept delaying my progress.

1) The tech tree is divided into eras; researching the first tech of a given era grants you that era. To research better, you need to increase the number of beakers you get; this is in the upper-left hand corner, a little blue orb-looking thing. Probably a sum of all the beakers produced per city; probably based on gold and population along with buildings like the library. Don't know if there are intrinsic benefits to progressing in era.
    2) Maintenance fees. Still not quite sure how they work, though
    3) Telling the governor to focus on, say, Production will make it auto-assign workers to the appropriate tiles.
    4) Every tile has a yield; the hammer is the production. More hammers, the stuff builds faster. There are also some buildings that make a hammer go farther.
    5) Not that I've seen.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    This game wrecks my face. It also wrecks my laptop holy shit. I would've never even suspected a TBS of all things to require the power of my desktop for a smooth and pleasant experience, goddamn.

This is my worry. My desktop is currently out of commission, and my laptop runs most things well, and teh demo runs great on this thing, but I'm worried about late-game. So, I'm holding off on the purchase.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is anyone else having the rivers look like textureless blue lines with graphic glitches where they connect to the ocean?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Is anyone else having the rivers look like textureless blue lines with graphic glitches where they connect to the ocean?

I have that problem.

Tamin on
This discussion has been closed.